Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Please be safe out there.
Peace out 2013. . . 2014 HERE WE GO!!!!!

280 would be awesome.
I wonder if anyone has ever gotten that high of a score.

A 280+ score on Step1 is probably on the 1 in ~50-75,000 level, which is roughly once every two to three years. A few mid-270s are known to occur every year, but for some reason there's a hyper-sharp decline after that. The highest possible score on Step1 is a 292, as evidenced in the NBME score reports. A 280 would mean you literally get two or three wrong. Scores ~270 average ~1-1.5 wrong/block. I think the reason no one gets an actual hundred on the exam is because some of the questions are poorly written and everyone's form has minutiae questions that are impossible to predict.

Reactions: 2 users
I took the exam in late November.

My score is 256.

I didn't do any NBME, but did the two UWSA and got 265 on both 89%
UW average is 85%
Free 150 98%

I couldn't sleep the night before the exam, not a single moment!!
Physio-pharma was hard and in my score report I got a star for every subject except physio and pharma.
I thought I did great on the exam but turned out I sucked! I guess sleeping is really important after all!

FA is your bible, do as many Qs as you can.
For the basic science subjects in FA (First part of FA) and physiology you should do the 3 Qbank to be safe.
For pathology, pharma, anatomy ... etc I think two Qbanks are enough.
Firecracker is nice, I used it as a book, it has many nice pictures too.
Watch pathoma videos, you don't have to annotate or read the book.
Other books are useless (except for physio maybe?)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!! Just registered last night for the first date offered in Jan for step. Just got serious into the study game for a couple weeks now but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything at all about how this exam is changing starting in January other than whats on the website. I'm not fully aware of what they mean by "an increased focus on quality improvement principles and safety science." Any input or advice would be great - only a few weeks left....
I have the same question. And when will the NBME-15, U World (and FA) adapt?

Last edited:
A 280+ score on Step1 is probably on the 1 in ~50-75,000 level, which is roughly once every two to three years. A few mid-270s are known to occur every year, but for some reason there's a hyper-sharp decline after that. The highest possible score on Step1 is a 292, as evidenced in the NBME score reports. A 280 would mean you literally get two or three wrong. Scores ~270 average ~1-1.5 wrong/block. I think the reason no one gets an actual hundred on the exam is because some of the questions are poorly written and everyone's form has minutiae questions that are impossible to predict.

When you say 1-1.5 wrong a block are you also counting the so called "experimentals"?

My score is 256.

UW average is 85%
Free 150 98%

Physio-pharma was hard and in my score report I got a star for every subject except physio and pharma.
I thought I did great on the exam but turned out I sucked! I guess sleeping is really important after all!

For the basic science subjects in FA (First part of FA) and physiology you should do the 3 Qbank to be safe.

Great work! Congrats on being done, and let us please all resolve this year to never again call a 256 "sucking" :) I get that you came down from your UWSAs a bit but cmon man with that score there are no doors closed at all. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
Great work! Congrats on being done, and let us please all resolve this year to never again call a 256 "sucking" :) I get that you came down from your UWSAs a bit but cmon man with that score there are no doors closed at all. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes on SDN.

SDN IS the crazy pill, silly.

My score is 256.

UW average is 85%
Free 150 98%

256, that's freaking awesome! Congratulations. . .ya, please don't use "suck" and "256" in the same sentence. That's a great score.

My score is 256.

UW average is 85%
Free 150 98%

What area of medicine are you interested in?

The fact is, the further in time you get from the exam the rarer you'll realize your score actually is. On SDN, it seems like everyone gets really good scores, but I've never actually met anyone in real life who's broken 255 on the exam. And ultimately, it's not a numerical score that defines your character as much as it is the willingness and determination you had to learn for yourself and grow. And you'll find that your maturity and sense of conviction in your direction and goals in life have augmented considerably now that you've been through this process.

The fact is, the further in time you get from the exam the rarer you'll realize your score actually is. On SDN, it seems like everyone gets really good scores, but I've never actually met anyone in real life who's broken 255 on the exam. And ultimately, it's not a numerical score that defines your character as much as it is the willingness and determination you had to learn for yourself and grow. And you'll find that your maturity and sense of conviction in your direction and goals in life have augmented considerably now that you've been through this process.
:claps: well said

When you say 1-1.5 wrong a block are you also counting the so called "experimentals"?

Honestly, I think experimentals haven't been on the Step1 for a while. There have been reports of ungraded Step1 questions floating around on Step2 in order to see which subjects are most readily forgotten/retained, but even the 2CK-ish clinical questions on Step1 are likely to be graded.

There was some letter issued recently about upcoming changes to all of the USMLE exams. Any changes they make will likely be experimental and non-graded for at least a year to gain stats first.

So True!

Internal Medicine in one of the top 10 programs.

I agree with what you're saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking my test in a few weeks. Shooting for a 320 because why lower expectations?

This is on the Kindle Fire, I'm guessing.
Yes, the Kindle Fire (2nd generation and up), Fire HD and HDX. Other markets and devices can install the Kindle app and access the FirstAid.

I'm using it on my PC with the Kindle app for PC. I find it comfortable on my PC as it has a big display.

Honestly, I think experimentals haven't been on the Step1 for a while. There have been reports of ungraded Step1 questions floating around on Step2 in order to see which subjects are most readily forgotten/retained, but even the 2CK-ish clinical questions on Step1 are likely to be graded.

There was some letter issued recently about upcoming changes to all of the USMLE exams. Any changes they make will likely be experimental and non-graded for at least a year to gain stats first.

Changes in usmle after 2016.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-future-of-usmle.1046338/

Im still waiting for my FA2014! Its still up for preorder on Amazon UK :(

Yes, the Kindle Fire (2nd generation and up), Fire HD and HDX. Other markets and devices can install the Kindle app and access the FirstAid.

I'm using it on my PC with the Kindle app for PC. I find it comfortable on my PC as it has a big display.

Are you using the official version or a PDF conversion?

Sorted my DB sitch. Still interested, hit me up.

Last edited:
I think I sent everyone who messaged me about DB. If I haven't messaged u back, please let me know.

Anyone have the their 1st Aid book hole punched? I feel like I remember seeing that somewhere on here in the past and I might go to get it done tomorrow so I can put 2014 in a binder. I just want to know how much it is/where is the best place to get it done? I looked on Staples' website but it doesn't mention the service.

I went to kinko's, it was $12. I haven't heard of people doing this recently, either. I dont know why. I was thinking of getting pathoma unbinded too.

Anyone have the their 1st Aid book hole punched? I feel like I remember seeing that somewhere on here in the past and I might go to get it done tomorrow so I can put 2014 in a binder. I just want to know how much it is/where is the best place to get it done? I looked on Staples' website but it doesn't mention the service.
Here is a quick run-through from Luke.

I went to kinko's, it was $12. I haven't heard of people doing this recently, either. I dont know why. I was thinking of getting pathoma unbinded too.
Thanks. I considered that as well. Don't think I'll do it though. Just going to intersperse it with my own drawings or notes if I feel my way of thinking of it makes it easier to remember.

Thanks! Completely forgot that I saw this video during the year.

Should be like 4 bucks at staples.

If you have a hair dryer, or know someone who does (any girl), then you'll be done freeing the pages from the resin in 15 minutes or less and it will be FREE. Sounds great, doesn't it? It is VERY easy to do by yourself. The only thing that is a pain in the ass about it is separating the pages from one another because you're pulling out chunks of 10 or so pages at a time. That takes a little more time and effort. Once you're done, just holepunch it and you're ready to go. Best part about doing it yourself is it's FREE and you're preserving the whole margin. I've heard of copycenters unbinding it by hacking it off, which is very quick, but you run the risk of losing quite a bit of margin space.

So I received this email from drop box

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

People, please give it some time. You can't all access it at the same time. . .sheesh!

I got pathoma chopped and spiral bound at Staples. Staples doesn't carry spirals big enough to fit First Aid, so I got them to chop and hole punch my copy. That was around $8 total, I think. Loved the spiral bound pathoma, but hated the hole punched FA because I kept ripping pages. I ended up buying FA 2014 and going to Kinkos to get it chopped and spiral bound. Cost me around $6 and I love it.

Please fill out this form . you will see exam experience of 180 ppl after filling out the form. :)

here are the results if you haven't done any steps yet !

Update: We now have more than 200 exam experience! Thank you everyone :)

Update: Graphs for step 1 and 2 updated and separated in different sheets

xcsz6s.png

speypy.png

Please fill out this form . you will see exam experience of 180 ppl after filling out the form. :)

here are the results if you haven't done any steps yet !

Update: We now have more than 200 exam experience! Thank you everyone :)

Update: Graphs for step 1 and 2 updated and separated in different sheets

xcsz6s.png

speypy.png

a) mean of 240+? lol yeah, real accurate sample

b) no sure-fire correlations? great! you wasted your time creating all of that for something that most sane (read: non-neurotic, don't need numbers to feel good about their self/preparation) people already know!

a) mean of 240+? lol yeah, real accurate sample

b) no sure-fire correlations? great! you wasted your time creating all of that for something that most sane (read: non-neurotic, don't need numbers to feel good about their self/preparation) people already know!

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Sheesh.

Got mine done over winter break at FedEx Office for $1.50.

Funny enough, I think we've been waiting for someone to demonstrate statistically exactly how skewed SDN #s are relative to the real world. A low-240s mean sounds about right.

I think what would relax most people is a graph showing USMLE scores in relation to NBME exams.

SDN step 1 scores make me wanna get my **** together. I've yet to see someone post a score that's between 220 - 230.
Everyone seems to get a 250 or higher score.

Yup, I would suggest it for sure. It helped me tremendously. It's a total of 14 videos, last 2 are reviews. I think the entire thing is 10 hrs only. If u go to their website, u can subscribe. It's a great investment, and u won't regret it.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

also, im wondering if anyone has a sample study plan/schedule? I have found one for 6 weeks before taking the test. but i would like to have a study plan during the semester. Im in my 2nd semester of 2nd year and there are organ systems that we have not covered yet. but i know while studying those new material, i have to go back and review old material such as biochem, micro, and other organ systems. any suggestions? i wasn't able to find anything on sdn. thanks in advance.

@900829, no haven't done that. i was just reading the earlier posts here and someone mentioned reading drugs that Phloston had posted

also, im wondering if anyone has a sample study plan/schedule? I have found one for 6 weeks before taking the test. but i would like to have a study plan during the semester. Im in my 2nd semester of 2nd year and there are organ systems that we have not covered yet. but i know while studying those new material, i have to go back and review old material such as biochem, micro, and other organ systems. any suggestions? i wasn't able to find anything on sdn. thanks in advance.

I've only seen a few people in passing post anything about 6 month study plans. Tried to help and do a search myself and couldn't find something easily. Closest thing you could take a look at is Phloston's write-up, but his prep took about a year, not 6 months. I looked through a majority of the 2013 thread and for people that mentioned light study in their last term of MS2, most just said they spent time trying to get complete runs through 1st Aid and completing any qbanks they had purchased. A couple people mentioned trying to do weekend reviews of MS1 topics.

I actually plan to finalize my schedule sometime soon. We're in a different boat though, as in reality the only thing I haven't covered up until this final term is Pharmacology.

You probably already know, but it would be best to just completely make your own plan catered to your school schedule and centered on what you've seen already and what you haven't. Then secondarily build that schedule around maximizing looks at material you personally don't feel confident with. Seems to be the general gist of the information.