USMLE Official 2014 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exudate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the changes going on, I think it is a good time to start a new thread and keep all the scores and experiences organized in one thread. Similar thread was really helpful for step 1, so I am hoping this one will be equally great and helpful to all.

Good luck to all the Step 2 CK'ers in 2014!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Typing a sentence from the question you got wrong + "NBME" into Google will often bring up a page/forum w/ people discussing it. That will help you get the answer.

No, don't redo UW1. Reading FA1 is too much indirect studying and won't help you. 2CK relies on you having a strong Step 1 foundation, but studying FA1 directly veers from the focus of the 2CK. I'd say the only part of FA1 that's really HY on the 2CK is the congenital immunodeficiency syndromes (e.g., WAS, CGD, etc.). The 2CK somewhat assumes you can Dx a condition but then instead wants the Mx (e.g., you'll get a vignette on lupus, but they want to know the Tx for a flare --> steroids; not just what's the diagnosis). The questions they ask you straight-up for the Dx are usually clinical (eg. tension pneumothorax, aortic rupture, mesenteric ischemia), not basic science-oriented (eg Duchenne), although yeah, obviously you do get the occasional Q like that.

Yeah, MTB2 and MTB3 without obsessing/memorizing Txs can be a good approach. Use any Mx info in those books as mere ideas for how to Tx something (ie. if he lists 3 drugs and 2 different surgeries as Tx, just be aware that they exist as possible Tx, but don't say "oh yeah, I do this first, then this, then this." That will really screw you over if you do that).

I didn't venture into Step 3 questions/assessment. I originally thought about it because I tend to get OCD about stuff / love learning, but I just 1) didn't have time, and 2) it's summer here in Australia, so you try sitting inside without getting ADD.

Thanks so much Pholston for the feedback! It's been like 3 years since I touched anything from basic sciences so it's really far from fresh but then the 2 exams are completely different like you said.

Do you think another CK question bank or question books like the members used for their shelf prep in the clinical rotations forum can help rebuild a weak step 1 foundation?I can understand how pure step 1 studying can veer from CK exam requirement focus. I was thinking as an alternative maybe to just purchase UW S1 and re-read through the explanation discussions only for topics in path-pathophys-pharm-micro-behavior and then skip any molecular bio/pure step 1 questions but I think this will take more than 2 months to do and I have about 2 months total for CK. I'm not sure if a lot of the CK explanations go into a lot of the background disease info like one learns from Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much Pholston for the feedback! It's been like 3 years since I touched anything from basic sciences so it's really far from fresh but then the 2 exams are completely different like you said.

Do you think another CK question bank or question books like the members used for their shelf prep in the clinical rotations forum can help rebuild a weak step 1 foundation?I can understand how pure step 1 studying can veer from CK exam requirement focus. I was thinking as an alternative maybe to just purchase UW S1 and re-read through the explanation discussions only for topics in path-pathophys-pharm-micro-behavior and then skip any molecular bio/pure step 1 questions but I think this will take more than 2 months to do and I have about 2 months total for CK. I'm not sure if a lot of the CK explanations go into a lot of the background disease info like one learns from Step 1.

As I said, I think going through UW1 again is a lot of time that should instead just be focused on 2CK material (i.e., all of that time could be spent meticulously learning UW2, which is way higher yield). But I can't tell you you're wrong. Do what you need to do for yourself.

Whats the best order to do the NBMES , clinical mastery series and the free 131 ??? After we have done UW at least once ??? And how close to the actual exam ?

I'd recommend finishing UWorld outright no closer than 10 days from the exam. The clinical mastery series questions can be done concurrent to UWorld (i.e., intermittently on days you don't feel like doing UWorld) or after; it doesn't really matter. I did the CMS questions concurrently to UWorld. Then I did UWSA, then NBME 4, then NBME 6, then free-131, then NBME 7.

I'd recommend finishing UWorld outright no closer than 10 days from the exam. The clinical mastery series questions can be done concurrent to UWorld (i.e., intermittently on days you don't feel like doing UWorld) or after; it doesn't really matter. I did the CMS questions concurrently to UWorld. Then I did UWSA, then NBME 4, then NBME 6, then free-131, then NBME 7.

How was NBME6? That's the one form I don't hear much about. I've heard a lot about 4 and 7. Is it wise to do UWSA before the NBME?

Which NBME would be better for baseline?
Nbme 2 or 3?

During my actual prep, I plan on completing nbme 7 --> nbme 6 --> nbme 4 --> uwsa

How was NBME6? That's the one form I don't hear much about. I've heard a lot about 4 and 7. Is it wise to do UWSA before the NBME?

I did terrible on forms 4 and 6. I did fine on the UWSA and NBME 7. But the curve is a lot different on NBME 7. I got one more wrong on NBME 7 than NBME 6 and scored 10 points higher on 7. And I only got 3 more wrong on NBME 7 than NBME 4, and scored 12 points higher on 7. I'll post actual #s with my review when I eventually get my score back.

And yeah, definitely do UWSA before the NBME. The UWSA is just a continuation of UWorld. Get UW done before touching the NBMEs. The NBMEs are the real deal. Once you start doing those questions, it's beneficial to calibrate to their question style. To revert back to the UWSA midway through the NBMEs (considering there's only 3 with extended feedback) would be counterproductive imo.

I did terrible on forms 4 and 6. I did fine on the UWSA and NBME 7. But the curve is a lot different on NBME 7. I got one more wrong on NBME 7 than NBME 6 and scored 10 points higher on 7. And I only got 3 more wrong on NBME 7 than NBME 4, and scored 12 points higher on 7. I'll post actual #s with my review when I eventually get my score back.

And yeah, definitely do UWSA before the NBME. The UWSA is just a continuation of UWorld. Get UW done before touching the NBMEs. The NBMEs are the real deal. Once you start doing those questions, it's beneficial to calibrate to their question style. To revert back to the UWSA midway through the NBMEs (considering there's only 3 with extended feedback) would be counterproductive imo.

I'm actually doing a second review of Uworld right now (i've finished it once). I know that you said it's not really productive, but I need it so that I can retain all this information (I'm surprised as to how much nit-picking Uworld does! :( ). I plan on being done with my second review within this week hopefully, and then I'll take a crack at that UWSA. How close do you recommend doing the NBMEs to the exam?

I'm actually doing a second review of Uworld right now (i've finished it once). I know that you said it's not really productive, but I need it so that I can retain all this information (I'm surprised as to how much nit-picking Uworld does! :( ). I plan on being done with my second review within this week hopefully, and then I'll take a crack at that UWSA. How close do you recommend doing the NBMEs to the exam?

I'd say doing the NBMEs within the final ten days is good.

And how are you taking notes from UWorld, or are you just reading? Because there's no compendium to annotate into (i.e. FA like we used for Step 1), I made a small notebook of bottom line statements (covered like 8 pages front and back) and converted these to Anki cards the day before I sat NBME 7 (2 days out). I never actually reviewed the Anki cards, but the mere transcription served as a single layer of reinforcement. I reckon this would probably have been better than going through the QBank a second time. You've remembered much more than you think. But either way, it doesn't matter.

I'd say doing the NBMEs within the final ten days is good.

And how are you taking notes from UWorld, or are you just reading? Because there's no compendium to annotate into (i.e. FA like we used for Step 1), I made a small notebook of bottom line statements (covered like 8 pages front and back) and converted these to Anki cards the day before I sat NBME 7 (2 days out). I never actually reviewed the Anki cards, but the mere transcription served as a single layer of reinforcement. I reckon this would probably have been better than going through the QBank a second time. You've remembered much more than you think. But either way, it doesn't matter.

I've made a set of notecards to review for the last few days, in addition to a notebook full of written notes from Uworld, which I'll use to cover certain topics at the end. I know i've probably remembered much more than I think I have, but at the same time, I'm a person who needs constant repetition to remember enough of this massive amount of material. I also have a subpar Step 1 score, so I'm trying to pull out all the stops to get a great score on Step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on peoples' experiences, NBME 4 and UWSA seem to be most accurate, so I wanted to do those last.

I was thinking that as well, but after Phloston described, in detail, his experience, I think doing UWSA first is probably better.

Which are the must do NBMES ???? AKA suppose to be most reflective, Im currently on my first pass through UW. Plan on doing UWSA, and at least 3-4 NBMES

Which are the must do NBMES ???? AKA suppose to be most reflective, Im currently on my first pass through UW. Plan on doing UWSA, and at least 3-4 NBMES

IMHO, I'd say none of the NBMEs are "must do". I only did UWSA and I did fine.

Then again, I wasn't exactly gunning for 280+ but was still very happy with my score.

I'm pretty sure there are only 4 NBMEs for Step 2, and I think only 4, 6, and 7 have extended feedback available. As far as being "must do", I don't know what to tell you. I guess if you're going to take all of them, it doesn't really matter.

So im about 60 percent through UW, so far all I have been focusing on for CK is UW, Im going through it slow and rereading alot of concepts that I either get wrong or need revision. Plan is to finish UW once, do a quick repass through it focusing in on weakest areas and then do UWSA and 1-2 NBMES. Trying to write in April, Any major advice or tips from recent test takers ? Trying to score >230

Oh forgot about the Clinical master series questions too recommended by Philoston, have to fit those in somewhere as well

How important are the clinical mastery questions?

Its kinda lame how the NBME does not provide correct answers to ANY of their exams, be it Clinical Mastery Series or the NBME practice exams for the Steps.
I have been trying to find the right answers to Ob/Gyne Form 1 of the clinical mastery series exams. Searched SDN and google; found some answers, but not to all the questions I got wrong. Obviously, I'll review my books and find the answers...eventually...I hope. Just would have been nice to have the answers in hand. Does anyone have a reliable source for that?

I have been trying to find the right answers to Ob/Gyne Form 1 of the clinical mastery series exams. Searched SDN and google; found some answers, but not to all the questions I got wrong. Obviously, I'll review my books and find the answers...eventually...I hope. Just would have been nice to have the answers in hand. Does anyone have a reliable source for that?

Hey!
I spent ages using kung-fu-google skills for the answers back when I did it. Feel free to send me your wrong ones and I'd be happy to answer. Unfortunately, I don't have the liberty of time to explain the answers though.

Hey!
I spent ages using kung-fu-google skills for the answers back when I did it. Feel free to send me your wrong ones and I'd be happy to answer. Unfortunately, I don't have the liberty of time to explain the answers though.
Hey! That is really nice of you. I will PM you. I really appreciate it :)

Hey friends,
Got a score of 224 on step 1,studying for step 2 ck.

I really really want atleast 240+ on step 2 ck.
Already using kaplan books and mtb.
Should i do a q bank too alongside like kaplan q bank.

Is kap q bank worth doing for step 2 ck?
Or should i first concentrate on finishing the text and maybe than start u world!!

And what other books/q banks do u guys suggest?

Very confused.pls help guys!!!

Thanks!

Hey friends,
Got a score of 224 on step 1,studying for step 2 ck.

I really really want atleast 240+ on step 2 ck.
Already using kaplan books and mtb.
Should i do a q bank too alongside like kaplan q bank.

Is kap q bank worth doing for step 2 ck?
Or should i first concentrate on finishing the text and maybe than start u world!!

And what other books/q banks do u guys suggest?

Very confused.pls help guys!!!

Thanks!

Ask this is 2015 version of this thread.. it's here. This is last years'.

Hey all. Any opinions on Self Assessment form 7 for NBME step 2? This is the first practice test I have taken and I got a passing score but it was much lower than I expected (all of my shelf exams this year were above average, and I've been doing 73-78% on Uworld on my 2nd week of studying). I've seen some people say they thought it was very difficult and it would give me some peace of mind to know other people felt the same way. :)

I just did NBME 7 and found it significantly harder than the other NBMEs (3, 4, 6). My score went down 8 points. Anyone else have any thoughts?