Official 2016-2017 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May I ask if I can modify the rank list once I certify my list? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My last interview is on Nov 2nd. Considering that deadline for certifying the list is Nov 16th, is that too late or still ok? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I just got this as a response to my rank email. I don't know if I should have some hope based on it!

"Thank you for your email. Although we have not fully finalized our rank list I can say that you are at the top of our list. We also believe that you would be a great fit here and looks forward to seeing you match here.''

What do you guys think?

Good luck to u all!

So what is your take on not hearing back from a program director after you sent them a thank you email?
(esp when you felt like the interview went very well...)

Hello everyone,

I just got this as a response to my rank email. I don't know if I should have some hope based on it!

"Thank you for your email. Although we have not fully finalized our rank list I can say that you are at the top of our list. We also believe that you would be a great fit here and looks forward to seeing you match here.''

What do you guys think?

Good luck to u all!

Doesn't mean anything. Take all post interview communication with a grain of salt. I speak from experience.

Hello everyone,

What do you guys think?

Good luck to u all!

I don't think it should change your plan at all - my understanding is that you told them you'd rank them one and it sounds like you're being ranked to match back (for whatever words are worth). If you liked them enough to tell them they're your one, you should be ranking them first. If everyone is being honest, you'll end up there come December but you should still construct a complete rank list so that you would be happy with your second, third choice etc in the event of something changing on their part. I would be cautiously hopeful but not assume anything at this point (though this response is worlds better than none or a more vague reply).

I don't think it should change your plan at all - my understanding is that you told them you'd rank them one and it sounds like you're being ranked to match back (for whatever words are worth). If you liked them enough to tell them they're your one, you should be ranking them first. If everyone is being honest, you'll end up there come December but you should still construct a complete rank list so that you would be happy with your second, third choice etc in the event of something changing on their part. I would be cautiously hopeful but not assume anything at this point (though this response is worlds better than none or a more vague reply).

I agree. Nothing seems to be clear or for sure. I emailed them saying I decided to rank them at the top of my list. Lets wait and see but I should act like nothing happenned to avoid surprises.

Thanks for replying!

Doesn't mean anything. Take all post interview communication with a grain of salt. I speak from experience.

I agree. It sounds that way. I'll stay optimistic but with caution. Thanks for your input!

Between St. John hospital, Detroit MI and Uconn / Farmington program ?
Anyone has any input on which program is better than the other ?

Between St. John hospital, Detroit MI and Uconn / Farmington program ?
Anyone has any input on which program is better than the other ?
i don't know about st. john but uconn farmington is a small program with in-house interventional fellowship. It's not a very busy program. didactics are good but not great and research opportunities are scarce.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are considering not going to an interview, Please cancel your interviews before hand as it gives a chance to someone who truly wants to go
the program and its also professional courtesy to do this. Good Luck!!

Anyone knows about the Bridgeport Hospital Connecticut?

Well If you are going to interview there : Be prepared to right an essay as a part of the interview about a cardiology case ( not sure exactly what they want ).

If you already interviewed there as you may know they take only 1 fellow each year. It is a very small program.
I personally know someone there and he himself says that its not a strong clinical program.
No Interventional or EP or Heart failure fellowships ( obviously )

Hello everyone,

What do you guys think?

Good luck to u all!

i have had similar response few years ago when I last applied and did not match! this year one program gave me favorable response as well but I have learned my lessons...there is nothing else we can do at this point

On average how far down does a good program go on their rank list? Lets say a program like OHSU?

What do u guys think about UMass vs U of Iowa vs Rush vs Kansas uni? Looking for interventional , strong clinical and research.

They seemed very close to each other, any input is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Kansas university
Hartford/U CONN
Allegheny

How do u rank these 3 ?Any advice?

Well If you are going to interview there : Be prepared to right an essay as a part of the interview about a cardiology case ( not sure exactly what they want ).

If you already interviewed there as you may know they take only 1 fellow each year. It is a very small program.
I personally know someone there and he himself says that its not a strong clinical program.
No Interventional or EP or Heart failure fellowships ( obviously )

Thank you for the input!! This is helpful

time flies for sure.
as interviews start winding down, i know that many people advise and some programs (even hinting in pretty obvious ways) that we let them know our preferences in the end...
seems like the convention around is to let the program that are you ranking #1 know that you are doing so.
how about the other ones that you are ranking in the top 3 or 4 but not #1? what is the general wisdom on this? should we let them know that we are ranking them "very highly" or to be even more explicit "within the top 3" in an email communication, or would this backfire?

time flies for sure.
as interviews start winding down, i know that many people advise and some programs (even hinting in pretty obvious ways) that we let them know our preferences in the end...
seems like the convention around is to let the program that are you ranking #1 know that you are doing so.
how about the other ones that you are ranking in the top 3 or 4 but not #1? what is the general wisdom on this? should we let them know that we are ranking them "very highly" or to be even more explicit "within the top 3" in an email communication, or would this backfire?

Great question! I would love to know what the group thinks on this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know anything about WSU in Dayton OH? Thank you

time flies for sure.

I'm not sure about this one. "Very highly" I heard is a weaker statement that doesn't reflect a top 3 program. My number one I will unlikely to match at and so I'm expecting to go to #2-4. The only question is what do I tell them?
I'm thinking of telling #2 that they are at the top of my list. #3 and #4 I'll be telling "very interested and ranking highly". Not sure about the wording though. All I know for sure is I will not be telling anyone else other than my number one that they're number one.

I'm not sure about this one. "Very highly" I heard is a weaker statement that doesn't reflect a top 3 program. My number one I will unlikely to match at and so I'm expecting to go to #2-4. The only question is what do I tell them?
I'm thinking of telling #2 that they are at the top of my list. #3 and #4 I'll be telling "very interested and ranking highly". Not sure about the wording though. All I know for sure is I will not be telling anyone else other than my number one that they're number one.

That sounds reasonable. Do you only email the program director about it being #1 or anyone else? Thanks

time flies for sure.
If you feel strongly about it, tell you #1 they're #1. Tell everyone else nothing.

A smart PD, who knows what s/he's doing, will ignore you and assume you're telling 6 or 7 other places the same thing.

I went to a big university program in the west that interviewed 45 candidates for 4 spots(15 candidates a day!). The program director was traveling and the aPD did the overview lecture. I don't think the aPD ived anyone and all ivs were divided among the faculty. So my question is, should I completely ignore the PD on my love letters since I have never met him? Should I ask my mentors to call the aPD or my interviewers? My interaction with the aPD was minimum. The program is pretty good, but the absence of the PD was very unexpected.

Thanks

Colleagues,

Need you help in ranking these programs. I have formed my prelim impressions about them, however your input will be highly valuable.

1. University of Colorado (Denver)
2. University of Minnesota
3. Ohio State University
4. University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
5. University of Kentucky (Lexington)
6. Virginia Commonwealth University
7. University of Utah
8. Rush University

I would really appreciate a detailed input. Happy to correspond via personal message if you so desire. Thank you very much!

Hello everyone need your guys input on
Creighton University vs Wayne State University? Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Colleagues,

Need you help in ranking these programs. I have formed my prelim impressions about them, however your input will be highly valuable.

1. University of Colorado (Denver)
2. University of Minnesota
3. Ohio State University
4. University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
5. University of Kentucky (Lexington)
6. Virginia Commonwealth University
7. University of Utah
8. Rush University

I would really appreciate a detailed input. Happy to correspond via personal message if you so desire. Thank you very much!

Any opinions from the group? Would really appreciate some guidance! Thanks.

Hello everyone need your guys input on
Creighton University vs Wayne State University? Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Definitely Wayne state.
Creighton is a small program filled almost exclusively by FMGs from one ethnicity.

Small interventional program
Weak imaging
no VAD, heart failure; similar to Wayne state
No structural at all
Most fellows leave the program for advanced fellowship .

Note that Wayne state is a solid intervention program.

Last edited:
Anyone can comment university of arizona at Tucson as for general cardiology? How strong is the program. Appreciate any input.

Anyone can comment university of arizona at Tucson as for general cardiology? How strong is the program. Appreciate any input.

Strong heart failure program, kinda too strong for applicants who do not want to do heart failure.
Very busy program, not Cush
Acceptable research output
Very pleasant program director

Weaker in intervention and imaging but alright.
Depends on your other choices.

Ps. I did medical school there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys i really need some input on oklahoma university health sciences center, saint louis university and loma linda university ... If you can suggest a ranking, it would be great but if you know anything about any one of them I would also appreciate it.

Definitely Wayne state.
Creighton is a small program filled almost exclusively by FMGs from one ethnicity.

Weak imaging
No structural at all

"from one ethnicity." Tread carefully buddy... there are more PC ways to phrase that.

Definitely Wayne state.

Weak imaging
No structural at all

I don't deny your thoughts on the program. However, you make it sound like being an FMG and of one ethnicity is an issue. Very interesting mindset, Trump-much?

Objectively speaking, both a higher ratio of FMG/IMG to AMG, and only recruiting FMGs/IMGs from one region of the world, are signs of a less competitive program (leaving aside the quality of training, since that's not an argument worth having at this time, and focusing only on academic reputation and perceived prestige).

Let's not crucify him/her for trying to provide a helpful response (with qualifications) to the question that was posed. I don't know that anyone here believes he/she was purposefully trying to be offensive or incendiary.

Any thoughts on how to rank Baylor Dallas vs. Houston Methodist?
I'm looking for the strongest clinical training and good chance of matching into any sub in the future (still undecided). I know Texas programs have been discussed in the past, but wanted to see if any new thoughts now that Methodist has been running for a few years.

If you're going to tell a program they are your number one choice, when would you typically do that? What is the latest point at which you would let them know?

Definitely Wayne state.

Weak imaging
No structural at all

Thanks a lot for your reply. Since you did Med school from Univ of Arizona how will you compare that with Wayne state Univ. Your advice is really helpful.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Since you did Med school from Univ of Arizona how will you compare that with Wayne state Univ. Your advice is really helpful.

They are close when you consider academic training. Tucson is good for heart failure and Wayne state is good for interventional track.
I would consider my location preferences too.

I don't deny your thoughts on the program. However, you make it sound like being an FMG and of one ethnicity is an issue. Very interesting mindset, Trump-much?

It is not related to Trump mindset. I like diversity, similar to most people and many FMGs are solid cardiology fellows exceeding AMGs.

What I wanted to mention is that Creighton is not diverse at all. Almost all residents are from the same region that program director is from.

I am sure FMGs would like Creighton to be diverse and fair as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection from Baylor 10.19.16

Anyone has input on OHSU?

Thank you

Can anybody commend on University of Florida, Gainesville vs East Carolina University / Vidant health? I'm looking for good clinical training. I like the small town of both and really hoping someone can comment on the clinical training. Thanks

I was wondering if you guys had perspective on when the bulk of programs begin ranking applicants.
Many programs are concluding interviews next week- do you guys have a sense on when would be the best time to send a #1 and when would likely be too late for it to matter?

guys, can you guide me on how these programs compare and should be ranked - thanks in advance!

UMKC/St Luke Mid america heart

Drexel univ

Allegheny general

Tulane university

Hey guys, I've been following this thread since it's inception and would like to thank everyone for their contribution. I need advice/input on the following programs and how to rank them. VCU, SUNY downstate Brooklyn and St Elizabeth Boston. I'm looking for good clinical training and exposure from a reputed program. Thanks in advance