Official 2016-2017 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any rejections?

Let's all try to keep the list updated.

AMG:
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Yale University/Yale-New Haven

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
7/19 - WashU/B-JH/SLCH consortium

Members don't see this ad.

AMG:
7/21 - WVU

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

WashU already handing out rejections?

Members don't see this ad :)
Goes without saying that no one should be nervous. Based on last year's list the bulk of interviews come during the first 3 weeks of August. A few before that and a few after, but those are the exceptions.

AMG:
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - UMass

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Also got an interview from UMass on 7/21. Haven't heard from anywhere else.

For some of the folks getting interviews, are these home institutions or places that you've had an affiliation? Congratulations to all!

It's been like crickets over here but I know it's still early!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For some of the folks getting interviews, are these home institutions or places that you've had an affiliation? Congratulations to all!

Thanks. UMass is not a home institution. I have not yet heard from my home institution, but assume I will get an interview since I believe everybody does that trained there.

Not my home institution, either, but as you said, it's really, REALLY early, and I think most interviews will probably go out around mid-August.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/25 - U of Kentucky

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Thank the gods of cath for this opportunity to interview, if selected i solemnly swear to medically manage all type 2 Nstemis.

AMG:

7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25- Atlantic Health System (Morristown, NJ)
IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Thank the gods of cath for this opportunity to interview, if selected i solemnly swear to medically manage all type 2 Nstemis.

AMG:

7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25- Atlantic Health System (Morristown, NJ)
IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Any IMGs with invitations or rejections?
Thank you

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - Atlantic Health System (Morristown, NJ)
7/25 - U of Buffalo

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U of Buffalo

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U of Buffalo
7/26- Albany Medical College

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

"IMG" is like a disability sticker that is permanently stamped on my resume and forehead. I understand it for residency but what's the point for fellowship? Prestige?!

Reactions: 1 user
It's still very, very, very early and 90% of AMGs haven't gotten interviews at this point.

Relax!

"IMG" is like a disability sticker that is permanently stamped on my resume and forehead. I understand it for residency but what's the point for fellowship? Prestige?!

Most programs just don't wanna go through the hassle of processing visa paperwork. I guess that's the reason

I'm an external candidate for both. But you're right that it's early; last year most invites went out in August (not that that helps anyone's anxiety levels right now).

Most programs just don't wanna go through the hassle of processing visa paperwork. I guess that's the reason

I could be wrong (often am) but I thought it was partly due to funding issues similar to residency? Some institutions are able to have grants fund visa candidates whereas others rely on government sponsorship of fellow salary and therefore they can't consider visa applicants? Fellows are still technically "house staff" the same way residents are (they just happen to be PGY3+).

I could be wrong (often am) but I thought it was partly due to funding issues similar to residency? Some institutions are able to have grants fund visa candidates whereas others rely on government sponsorship of fellow salary and therefore they can't consider visa applicants? Fellows are still technically "house staff" the same way residents are (they just happen to be PGY3+).
CMS funding is no different for those on visas than for citizens, whether residents or fellows.

The one issue some programs have is that, if there's an NIH training grant that supports some of the fellow's time, foreign nationals can NOT be paid through that mechanism. So a program that relies on a T32 to pay fellows during their research year(s) just won't bother, since they'll have to eat that money if they have visa holders as fellows.

The biggest reason though, is the same as the one for residency...they just prefer US grads.

Reactions: 1 user
keeping my fingers crossed for everyone but I am thinking of back up plans already

I can provide some info based on my interview experiences and some anecdotal info from friends. Cali programs are competitive in general due to location and limitation of spots, and like NYC programs, they seem to have a regional bias which makes it tougher for those without a Cali connection.

Cedars- Heavy clinical volume all around but also research oriented, friends there are more academically inclined. Bunch of former UCLA staff and competitive to get into.
UW- Weaker in nuclear and ct/mri, but large LVAD volume. Spread out over 3 hospitals, occasionally have to cover interns and fairly research focused. Cath seemed ok though seems like some fellows go elsewhere for advanced training, not sure if thats for personal or other reasons.
UCLA- Seemed like a nice and balanced program, both clinically and academically, not super high volume but good enough all around. Though it seems some fellows go elsewhere for interventional training as well. Beautiful main hospital, spread out over 3-4 hospitals. However, they were pretty vague on clinical volume and curriculum and it seems everyone has different impressions on the program's research expectations.
UCSD- Seemed like they're trying to improve their research cred, lots of new buildings and growth and pushed research on interview day. Clinically, seems like you'll get to see a little of everything, nothing particularly stood out.
UCSF/Stanford- More academic focus and not particularly high volume

Don't know anything about other programs, but don't discount them, wouldn't be surprised if they were just as good if not better (at least in some aspects) than some of the above programs.

The West coast is great, but I felt that there were lots of programs elsewhere that offered just as good or sometimes better training, and from what I've seen, it's very possible to land great jobs on the west coast after training elsewhere. In fact, some programs are setup such that you could probably fly to California every other weekend and still come out ahead financially. For now, apply broadly, do as many interviews as possible to see what YOU think of it, not what someone else thinks, and definitely keep an open mind, you may be surprised at what programs you end up liking/disliking, I certainly was.

Thanks for your thoughts.

To be blunt, it can be difficult to get an accurate sense of what an applicant brings to the table just from reviewing his/her application. Most academic programs are in the enviable position of having tons of potential residents/fellows to choose from, and have historically gravitated toward AMGs for several reasons. First, you don't have to worry about international paperwork. Second, the gap between the best and worst AMGs is perceived to be smaller than the gap between the best and worst IMGs. Third, programs want to recruit trainees who are going to stand out and distinguish themselves among their peers (so as to improve the reputation of the program), so it makes sense to pick people who have already demonstrated that they can out-compete others for competitive medical school and residency positions. At the end of the day, programs view trainees as gambling chips, and are simply looking to make the safest "bet" (which sometimes leads to them overlooking stellar IMGs).

Reactions: 1 users
AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U of Buffalo
7/26 - Albany Medical College
7/27 - OHSU

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
7/19 - WashU/B-JH/SLCH consortium[/QUOTE]

To be blunt, it can be difficult to get an accurate sense of what an applicant brings to the table just from reviewing his/her application. Most academic programs are in the enviable position of having tons of potential residents/fellows to choose from, and have historically gravitated toward AMGs for several reasons. First, you don't have to worry about international paperwork. Second, the gap between the best and worst AMGs is perceived to be smaller than the gap between the best and worst IMGs. Third, programs want to recruit trainees who are going to stand out and distinguish themselves among their peers (so as to improve the reputation of the program), so it makes sense to pick people who have already demonstrated that they can out-compete others for competitive medical school and residency positions. At the end of the day, programs view trainees as gambling chips, and are simply looking to make the safest "bet" (which sometimes leads to them overlooking stellar IMGs).

People are making too much sense! Doesn't feel like interview season.

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U of Buffalo
7/27 - OHSU

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
[/QUOTE]

Are three any IMGs on this forum?
Thanks

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I am an IMG and no Interviews yet. I know it is still very early so no worries guys. They will come in time.

Not applying to cardio but to pulm and pall care as a Canadian IMG. Your thoughts are interesting. I wonder how this applies to me though. I have the paperwork burden associated with my being not American but I dont feel that the other points hold up as well for me. It is very challenging to be accepted to med school in Canada and although easier to get into residency, there are 6 residency-affiliated academic instutions in Ontario all with equally high standards for residencies. Much less gap in competency amongst Canadians and certainly rigorous standards. However I dont know how much of this is known amongst American programs or if Canadians are viewed similarly to every other IMG.

Yeah, I don't think this applies to graduates from Canada, UK, etc. at all. Without trying/meaning to insult anyone, it applies primarily to people who attended college in the US, but did not get into a US allopathic medical school (so US osteopathic graduates and US-based IMGs).

That being said, I wish everybody on this forum the best of luck during this application cycle!

Hey guys! I have a question. I was just notified that my paper got accepted for submission at IJC. When I submitted my ERAS on July 15th the paper was just in the "submitted" state. Is there a way to update ERAS?

Thanks a lot,

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U at Buffalo

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU

IMG requiring visa:
7/25 - U at Buffalo

Rejections:

Hey guys! I have a question. I was just notified that my paper got accepted for submission at IJC. When I submitted my ERAS on July 15th the paper was just in the "submitted" state. Is there a way to update ERAS?

Thanks a lot,

Unfortunately No, Once submitted it is submitted, but honestly as long as you have it listed in ERAS it shows initiative.

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U of Buffalo
7/27 - OHSU

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU
7/19 - Yale

IMG requiring visa:
7/25 - U at Buffalo

Rejections:

Thanks a lot,
Don't think so; but you listed the manuscript as "submitted" on the ERAS application right?

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - Atlantic Health System (Morristown)
7/25 - U of Buffalo
7/27 - OHSU

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU
7/19 - Yale
7/28 - Atlantic Health System (Morristown)

IMG requiring visa:
7/25 - U at Buffalo

Rejections:

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U of Buffalo
7/27 - OHSU

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU
7/19 - Yale
7/25 - U of Buffalo

IMG requiring visa:
7/25 - U at Buffalo

Rejections:

IMG here. Silent. Have not heard from any program. Quite nervous but have no option but to wait. It is painful though.:(

Check out the 2015/2016 threads. As others have said, it appears the vast majority of programs start sending out interview requests throughout August and early September. We have plenty of time. :)

Thanks for the heads up! Yes, hopefully we start getting some invites next week - keeping fingers crossed.

AMG:
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U at Buffalo
7/27 - OHSU
7/28 - Hawaii

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU
7/19 - Yale
7/25 - U at Buffalo

IMG requiring visa:
7/25 - U at Buffalo

Rejections:

Thanks[/QUOTE]

ME, IMG not requiring visa, community hospital resident, plenty of research and publications, no iv yet. :shrug:
Don't know when they are going to review my application, keep fingers crossed :whistle:

Unfortunately No, Once submitted it is submitted, but honestly as long as you have it listed in ERAS it shows initiative.
Yes, it would be my 7th paper! I am an IMG and have only received one interview so far. I think the wisest thing would be to look for back up plans rather than getting nervous...

Yes, it would be my 7th paper! I am an IMG and have only received one interview so far. I think the wisest thing would be to look for back up plans rather than getting nervous...

I will reiterate what others have mentioned many times already. It is early in terms of interview invitations. So don't worry too much. But it is never too early to have backup plans. I always hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Cedars-Sinai!

AMG:

7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/25 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - U at Buffalo
7/27 - OHSU
7/28 - Hawaii
7/29 - Cedars-Sinai

IMG w/o visa required:
7/18 - OHSU
7/19 - Yale
7/25 - U at Buffalo

IMG requiring visa:
7/25 - U at Buffalo

Rejections:

Hey guys. I'm new to SDN but this seems like a good (or bad) way to assess how other applicants are doing during this crazy process. I'm an AMG. I have 4 publications and currently working on 2 others.

My usmle scores are average.

I will keep you updated on my progress! I haven't heard from any programs, yet,but it's early. Best of luck