Official 2016 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
So here is a question, for those of you doing Firecracker would you flag the material which you are covering with another resource? Specifically I am using Sketchy Micro, do you think it is important to also flag Firecracker micro?

So I don't know if its a great idea or not, but I've been doing Uworld along with my systems classes (instead of saving it for dedicated study time). This seems to help consolidate my understanding of the systems material and helps with understanding how to apply the information in the way that USMLE test writers want you to. I've also been doing the relevant First Aid and Pathoma for the system I'm in. So the overall goal is 1 pass of UFAP before dedicated and then a second pass of UFAP during dedicated with maybe some sketchy micro..idk.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't know if its a great idea or not, but I've been doing Uworld along with my systems classes (instead of saving it for dedicated study time). This seems to help consolidate my understanding of the systems material and helps with understanding how to apply the information in the way that USMLE test writers want you to. I've also been doing the relevant First Aid and Pathoma for the system I'm in. So the overall goal is 1 pass of UFAP before dedicated and then a second pass of UFAP during dedicated with maybe some sketchy micro..idk.

How have you been keeping up with that while been in school? Is it manageable?

Me too! For as many past takers of step 1 that did a bunch of qbanks and did well, I've met an equal number of students that utilized UFAP and did well. It makes more sense to me and I think I would do better if I just mastered 3 sources

Overall, I find it difficult with everything else I have going on: osteopathic courses, clinical medicine courses, clinic work, and exam time. Major props to the students that can bust through Rx and FA super hard everyday, because I can't separate class from board studying, especially this early.

Me too! For as many past takers of step 1 that did a bunch of qbanks and did well, I've met an equal number of students that utilized UFAP and did well. It makes more sense to me and I think I would do better if I just mastered 3 sources

Overall, I find it difficult with everything else I have going on: osteopathic courses, clinical medicine courses, clinic work, and exam time. Major props to the students that can bust through Rx and FA super hard everyday, because I can't separate class from board studying, especially this early.

Maybe this could help.....

I was told to combine block studying and board studying. Basically find what you were covering in first aid, annotate it, and do qbank questions on it as well.

Maybe this could help.....

I was told to combine block studying and board studying. Basically find what you were covering in first aid, annotate it, and do qbank questions on it as well.

I think this is generally a good idea, with the caveat that it really depends on your school. Students from some schools give the advice to just do well in your classes. However, upperclassmen from my school say to shift focus to board preparation 3-4 months out if you want to do well, as our curriculum is geared more towards step 2-type information compared to many medical schools.

How have you been keeping up with that while been in school? Is it manageable?

It can be overwhelming at times (midterm exams for OMM/CPS) but overall is manageable. Sometimes I have to cram lectures in the weekend before the exam because i'm doing UFAP during the week but I think its paying off with an increased understanding of the system I"m in and better test taking skills.

Oh for sure, question banks are super exhausting especially when you're on a losing streak haha. I do think I will add USMLERx to my regime though and try to bust through it once during spring semester while continuing with my current UFAP schedule. That will put me at roughly over 6500 questions by test time.

Reactions: 1 users
May as well throw in my hat because public accountability helps. I take my test at the end of June. As far as a score goal, I'm not sure yet. I just want to work as hard and consistently as possible and see what happens.

Current plan:

UFAP
UWorld 2X (have been using it with classes since end of September but I started consistently doing/reviewing questions this week)
FA 3x (started my first full read this week)
USMLE Rx 1x with Flash Facts through dedicated study time (got the Triple Play package with USMLE Rx, Flash Facts and Express videos-have been using the videos as needed but will try to add them while studying for classes)
Pathoma as many times as possible (Sattar, you are my homeboy)

Pathology
Goljan Audio at least 2x (so, so good for integrating material)
Rapid Review Pathology 1X
Robbins...good lord.

Physiology
Najeeb videos as needed but I have a feeling a lot of videos will be needed, eff my life
Costanzo Physiology after Najeeb because I'm not baller enough to learn physio from a book alone
BRS Physio for problems

Micro
Sketchy: 1 video per day until dedicated time

Pharm
Struggling here, suggestions are welcomed. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy Raymon's pharm videos/workbook.

Resources Abandoned:
Firecracker: I am just not consistent enough, nor did I find myself getting much out of what I put into it. Some of that may have been due to lack of consistency but it just did not click with me at all. My classmates love it, however.

@gumdrops
I would suggest doing Kaplan Qbank x1 if you have the time for it. Drop Robbins(Goljan is already way overkill for the exam) and Costanzo Physiology if you're an M2(BRS Physiology alone is overkill, dunno about Najeeb, but I only suggest looking up videos if you dont understand graphs on youtube, there are plenty of vids). Pharm in FA + the 3 qbanks is more than enough to kill pharm on step 1 too.

My advice would be do as many Qs as possible + focus on First Aid, only supplement if you find yourself weak in areas. And obviously study as hard as you can for classes.

Reactions: 3 users
@gumdrops
I would suggest doing Kaplan Qbank x1 if you have the time for it. Drop Robbins(Goljan is already way overkill for the exam) and Costanzo Physiology if you're an M2(BRS Physiology alone is overkill, dunno about Najeeb, but I only suggest looking up videos if you dont understand graphs on youtube, there are plenty of vids). Pharm in FA + the 3 qbanks is more than enough to kill pharm on step 1 too.

My advice would be do as many Qs as possible + focus on First Aid, only supplement if you find yourself weak in areas. And obviously study as hard as you can for classes.

Thank you so much-these suggestions are awesome. You're absolutely right; I should be testing myself more at this point than looking at the same material over and over with path. Love the pharm suggestions as well.

So...I've had problems with Costanzo. I started using it during cardio. I read and re-read it and the material didn't click with me as it was presented, which made BRS phys a wash. It's entirely possible that I need someone to spell physiology out for me a la Najeeb. I didn't have this problem with reading physiology in Lilly for cardio so I wonder if I'm that person for whom Costanzo does not work. If you have time, any suggestions for how to tackle physiology would be much appreciated.

If you find topics confusing it may be worthwhile to supplement with vids that explain clearly regardless of source whether kaplan dit najeeb youtube etc. Dont kill yourself on minutae outside qbanks and FA as it's in FA and qbanks for a reason. Even BRS physio has a lot of irrelevant minutae that arent worth much of your time. And if you find yourself not getting certain graphs, just memorize them brute force I guess. The physio qs I got were very similar to concepts in FA and qbanks, nothing really wtf.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll go ahead and jump on board. Plan on taking at very end of April or first days of May. Currently using Pathoma and skimming FA along with classes. Trying to do Rx questions along with classes, but haven't done well keeping up with that. I have been listening to Goljan audio during my workouts (i.e. very passive listening) a few times a week. I was planning on using UWorld during dedicated, but I'll only have ~4 weeks of dedicated time, so I may have to start before then. I plan on using UFAP for most of my prep with Microcards/Wiki as needed.

Goal 255

Hi everybody, glad to be here on SDN. I'm an IMG testing on December 2016. Want to start with an NBME self assessment to figure out where I'm standing now.
In your opinion, which form is the best to test your weakest and strongest areas?
I've registered on NBME website and I can find only form 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17. There is no sign of form 2, 3 , 4... and others that I've seen to be referred many times in older posts. I know that this question has been posed many times here earlier, but I wasn't able to find an answer in the older threads so far.
(Please understand me, I'm new here and there is a gigantic amount of information in the older posts to examine :bookworm: and I haven't much time at the moment).
In addition, for the purpose of a mere pre-dedicated assessment, is it better to do the NBME in "self paced" or "standard paced" mode?
Thank you guys :)

I dont think there is any point to do an online NBME if you are 13 months from your test , its wasted money ... You should probably do one after you are done with Kaplan/1 pass of FA to see where you are standing..

Recently took my STEP1 (I know its still 2015, but someone made this thread like mid 2015, so w/e its after the majority of 2015 test takers anyways).
My NBME scores:
NBME11 - 224
CBSE (school mediated) - 225
NBME12 - 228
NBME13 - 232
NBME15 - 245
NBME16 - 239
NBME17 - 230 (I think I stopped caring about NBME's at this point because I had the jist of what I was likely to get)
UWSA1 - 247
UWSA2 - 238
Uworld Avg - 73%
Kaplan Qbank (early) - 66%

Still haven't gotten my score back but I will edit this point with my actual STEP1 score.
In all honesty, I felt like I did thousands upon thousands of questions, reviewed all the information in FA, pathoma, Kaplan Pharm, and referenced other Kaplan books for things still unclear... and yet STILL that test looked like a test that I had never seen before. I did NOT feel good coming out of it.
Most of the time after NBME's, I would feel alright, or at least decent. No telling how STEP1 went. I mean I studied my heart out and that's all I could do. I wasn't scared or nervous walking into the exam and I got a good night's sleep before it. If I do poorly, I really don't have an excuse.
At this point, I think I'd be happy with a 220+, but let's see how the actual score turns out before I get on that tract.

Recently took my STEP1 (I know its still 2015, but someone made this thread like mid 2015, so w/e its after the majority of 2015 test takers anyways).
My NBME scores:
NBME11 - 224
NBME12 - 228
NBME13 - 232
NBME15 - 245
NBME16 - 239
NBME17 - 230 (I think I stopped caring about NBME's at this point because I had the jist of what I was likely to get)
UWSA1 - 247
UWSA2 - 238
Uworld Avg - 73%

Still haven't gotten my score back but I will edit this point with my actual STEP1 score.
In all honesty, I felt like I did thousands upon thousands of questions, reviewed all the information in FA, pathoma, Kaplan Pharm, and referenced other Kaplan books for things still unclear... and yet STILL that test looked like a test that I had never seen before. I did NOT feel good coming out of it.
Most of the time after NBME's, I would feel alright, or at least decent. No telling how STEP1 went. I mean I studied my heart out and that's all I could do. I wasn't scared or nervous walking into the exam and I got a good night's sleep before it. If I do poorly, I really don't have an excuse.
At this point, I think I'd be happy with a 220+, but let's see how the actual score turns out before I get on that tract.

Good luck! here's to you passing :)

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck @Silverish from me too! I would like to ask if you know anyone who got 265+ on UWSA -2 and still got below 240 on the real step??? Should I feel kinda ''safe'' ??

Good luck @Silverish from me too! I would like to ask if you know anyone who got 265+ on UWSA -2 and still got below 240 on the real step??? Should I feel kinda ''safe'' ??
I don't know anyone personally that got a 265+ on UWSA2. You should be in really good shape if you can manage that score, but I wouldn't assume a 265 on STEP1 by any means. Also, please never feel "safe" before STEP1. Continue the struggle to improve and never settle. Best of luck.

My NBME scores:
NBME11 - 224
NBME12 - 228
NBME13 - 232
NBME15 - 245
NBME16 - 239
UWSA1 - 247
UWSA2 - 238
Uworld Avg - 73%

It looks like you will do well, keep us updated

Joining the convo! SDN was helpful for me on the MCAT so I decided to return

Scheduled for March 2016

Pretty much no prior preparation (I'm hoping this doesn't hurt me!) I've done maybe 2 UWorld blocks, skimmed a few sections in First Aid (no annotations), and listened to a few Pathoma videos.

Currently working on my official study schedule but I plan to use the following resources:

First Aid
Pathoma or Goljan RR (haven't decided)
USMLERx, UWorld, Kaplan QBank (in that order)

Goal 260+ (realistically speaking, I'd be happy with anything 240+)

I have a question for you guys. I'm taking Step 1 on Feb 29th. I've been working with the 2015 version of first aid and annotating the crap out of it. Is it necessary for me to change to the 2016 edition or can I just look at the erratas on the website?

I have a question for you guys. I'm taking Step 1 on Feb 29th. I've been working with the 2015 version of first aid and annotating the crap out of it. Is it necessary for me to change to the 2016 edition or can I just look at the erratas on the website?
I would look at the erratas if I were you...

Taking step one on December 29.
Any recent experiences? Please share with us, it's been along time since the last shared experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely planning on it. I just wondered if it was a must to switch editions.
It doesn't matter what edition you use, whatever content you learn your going to apply on UWorld, and that is continuously up to date. I think it's like 10 new questions come in every 2 weeks.

FA 2016 is not only about the 2015 errata but there are lot of new changes/additions etc.

It doesn't matter what edition you use, whatever content you learn your going to apply on UWorld, and that is continuously up to date. I think it's like 10 new questions come in every 2 weeks.
Can anybody else verify this? Because that's pretty cool.

That's about the rate I see it if I 100% finished the bank and it hasn't expired yet. I'll see a handful of question pop up in the unused category. So like 2 just came in a couple days ago, a behavior science question (Q11785) and a psych question (Q11786), and you can confirm it by looking at the very bottom it says "last updated: 12/3/15". It's in sequence, so anything closer to 0 is an "older" question and anything around the 11k is a "newer" question.

Also they are constantly putting in new diagrams in the explanations, that's why you will see some questions say last updated in October even though it's the same question as before.

If anybody has a completed bank, they should be able to give you the same observation. Even though UWorld can get expensive, I like how they take the effort to keep it updated both in terms of questions and answers.

I did UWSA-1 today and I thought it was very memorization heavy vs UWSA -2 which was more about concepts.. I hope the real test doesn't test minutiae like that...

Anyone have a schedule they'd care to share with me? I plan on taking this test in late March.
Was hoping to start doing a uworld test once per day starting in January and hoping to get through Uworld twice.
Trying to integrate golijan pathology into my schedule but it's so dense!!!

FA 2016 is not only about the 2015 errata but there are lot of new changes/additions etc.

Hi,
Do you have any sources for this? I just checked the amazon site that says new FA will have 784 pages which is a whooping 35+ pages added to the old book. Is that what made you speculate?
Maybe its just more pages added to credits, index etc? Just curious if you heard from someone who saw the real book.

Hi,
Do you have any sources for this? I just checked the amazon site that says new FA will have 784 pages which is a whooping 35+ pages added to the old book. Is that what made you speculate?
Maybe its just more pages added to credits, index etc? Just curious if you heard from someone who saw the real book.
I did crowdproofing for FA 2016.
Not only there are new pages added but the SECTION I : "Special Situations" supplement has been moved to online only adding another 19 pages to accommodate the new material.
Also, there are a lot of new additions including diagrams (PCR, Flow cytometry, Apoptosis, MEN Syndromes etc) as well as extensive revisions (Micro, Resp, Neuro, Renal etc) of the previous material.
IMHO this is the most extensive revision of FA I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anybody know when exactly the FA 2016 version is out? I have the 2015 and I'm pretty sure many questions were added to the 2016 and I have to be updated because I'm doing the exam in December 29 and I'm pretty sure a lot changed since January 2015.

That sucks, I have large parts of my FA underlined and stuff and the worst was consolidating micro and pharma. I don't mind new sections at all but having to compare all of micro and pharma between FA 2015 and 2016 to pick out the extra stuff is going to be really annoying :(.

Have they just added new bugs/drugs etc or just updated a lot of the info on the ones already present?

Sucks to miss all this new content for us taking the test at December ..

Edit : @watchmenaenae @greatsurg

What are you doing on the final weeks and which assessments have you done/will do??

I am trying to get another solid pass of FA but its so heavily annotated it burns my eyes… still at biochem section… Also so fed up reading the same stuff

Have completed 94% of Uworld and doing one block every 2 days casually now ( 87% correct so far )

Assesments : NBME 11 262/660 4 weeks ago
UWSA-2 : 265/800 1 week ago
UWSA-1 : 262/760 Yesterday
NBME-17 : -
Free 132 : -

Last day : Plan to casually read Khan's ethics book and look at random CT's/pictures

Test : December 24

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sucks to miss all this new content for us taking the test at December ..

Edit : @watchmenaenae @greatsurg

What are you doing on the final weeks and which assessments have you done/will do??

I am trying to get another solid pass of FA but its so heavily annotated it burns my eyes… still at biochem section… Also so fed up reading the same stuff

Have completed 94% of Uworld and doing one block every 2 days casually now ( 87% correct so far )

Assesments : NBME 11 262/660 4 weeks ago
UWSA-2 : 265/800 1 week ago
UWSA-1 : 262/760 Yesterday
NBME-17 : -
Free 132 : -

Last day : Plan to casually read Khan's ethics book and look at random CT's/pictures

Test : December 24

[Feel free to postpone your reply until after your exam] but I'd love to know what all you did for prep. Your scores look amazing so far! Did you do any prep before dedicated? Any resources outside of FA?

Does anybody know when exactly the FA 2016 version is out? I have the 2015 and I'm pretty sure many questions were added to the 2016 and I have to be updated because I'm doing the exam in December 29 and I'm pretty sure a lot changed since January 2015.

It's available starting December 22nd on Kindle (Amazon). Not sure if this is true for paperback however...

@DandyLion I am IMG(well 5th year actually , not graduate but you get my point) so I had lots of time to prepare outside dedicated.. I will do a writeup after my test if its of any help here

@tasar1898 currently going through FA again after that
NBME 16 review missed questions and re read weak areas
free 132 after that

exam 22nd

did NBME 17 and UWSA 2 last week 249 and 253 respectively

Last edited:
It looks like it will be released on January 8th according to amazon. I will be using 2015 for my final semester of basic sciences and then decide if I want to jump to 2016 for dedicated or not

Its about 50 pages thicker so it does seem like a significant amount of new information. I think anyone taking the exam a reasonable amount of time into 2016 should switch.

Any recommendations how to annotate from now? Considering annotating into a notebook, system-wise and organized if I'll be getting the new FA 2016. @Transposony Please provide any additional info you may have about the book as it becomes available. Thank you for info!

As of reading the posts above^; I'm definitely going to opt for FA 2016 on January 8th,2016.. hopefully have my annotations organized enough to utilize side-by-side with the new FA.

Checking into this thread; have my exam date booked for February 27th, 2016. Utilizing UFAP+RxQbank(complete)+NBMEs + DIT videos
Just took my first NBME 11, scored 217.. after first read of FA and DIT videos. hoping thats a decent baseline. Also Completed RX Q bank along my first read of FA/DIT with 70% average (predicted score of 234+/-20 according to them).

Aiming for a Step 1 score of ~250+/-10

Last edited: