Official 2017-2018 Psychiatry Interview Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomyumyummy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start a rejection threat to relieve some anxiety.
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Got rejection from Detroit Wayne State and Washington University/B-JH/SLCH.

Grats on making the worst thread on sdn.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected UCLA-Harbor. Totally okay with ti. Do residency programs do silent rejections?

Reactions: 1 user
Added a Rejections column to the google sheet, perhaps we can do dates only for this one...

Grats on making the worst thread on sdn.

I think it's a great idea. I only have 1 invite, 1 supplemental, 1 rejection so far. I have a 210/242 spread it gives me some hope that I wasn't auto filtered out everywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Forgot when it occurred but Oregon rejected me fairly early

How were your rejections received? Via ERAS? Email?

I got rejected from the program in my home state right off the bat. They ended up not filling that year. I was on a rotation later (after the match) where one of the attendings in program leadership asked why they didn’t see me come through when he found out I was from there and was going into psychiatry. I mentioned (during morning report) that it was because they declined to interview me. It got kinda quiet and he said “oh, ok.” Then I realized this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and said “yeah, I saw you guys didn’t fill.” It really caught him off guard. It also made my week.

Reactions: 10 users
Sweet!
revenge is a dish best served (or eaten) cold
phrase of revenge

1. 1.
    proverb
    vengeance is often more satisfying if it is not exacted immediately.

What's the deal with research tracks? Do I need to have a masters or PhD, or can I just be very interested/motivated? Do most research tracks take a lot away from the clinical side/psychotherapy, or is it possible to balance the them? I'm interested in both research & psychotherapy but I have limited research experience (1 publication, some posters) but I don't think my skills are get good anymore. Don't want to choose between the 2.

Any input?

(sorry this is jumbled, I'm trying to type this as fast as I can while my attending is gone).

My first rejection came earlier this week via ERAS message. San Mateo in CA

Members don't see this ad :)
My first rejection came earlier this week via ERAS message. San Mateo in CA
That was the other place that year that sent me a quick rejection. They actually only filled one slot that year. Kind of funny those were the only two places I applied to that sent out formal rejection letters, citing how competitive it was, and they were the only two places I applied to that went unfilled. Funny process this is.

Hey guys. I got rejected from Corvallis and San Mateo.

What's the deal with research tracks? Do I need to have a masters or PhD, or can I just be very interested/motivated? Do most research tracks take a lot away from the clinical side/psychotherapy, or is it possible to balance the them? I'm interested in both research & psychotherapy but I have limited research experience (1 publication, some posters) but I don't think my skills are get good anymore. Don't want to choose between the 2.

Any input?

(sorry this is jumbled, I'm trying to type this as fast as I can while my attending is gone).
It really depends on the program. At top programs research tracks are pretty much reserved for people with significant research experience, meaning multiple publications, which in most cases means a PhD or having some dedicated research time otherwise. I know that some programs, even among the top, have accepted people without PhDs to their research track, but these people had significant amount of research and publications. So it's not strictly necessary to have a PhD, but the number and quality of publications matters.

As to how much time is dedicated to research track and whether your clinical training will suffer from that, again, it really depends on the program. Some programs have these details on their websites.
The assumption is that even with a research track you will graduate from residency as a competent clinician. But the reality is, there is only so much you can learn in a limited amount of time.

Also, a thing to consider is that research tracks are for people who are interested in not just doing some research, but doing research as the main part of their future careers. At the kind of programs that have research tracks (and even those that don't), there are usually opportunities for residents to be involved in research without doing a research track. So consider how much research you want in your future career, you may be able to do just enough research without a research track.

It really depends on the program. At top programs research tracks are pretty much reserved for people with significant research experience, meaning multiple publications, which in most cases means a PhD or having some dedicated research time otherwise. I know that some programs, even among the top, have accepted people without PhDs to their research track, but these people had significant amount of research and publications. So it's not strictly necessary to have a PhD, but the number and quality of publications matters.

As to how much time is dedicated to research track and whether your clinical training will suffer from that, again, it really depends on the program. Some programs have these details on their websites.
The assumption is that even with a research track you will graduate from residency as a competent clinician. But the reality is, there is only so much you can learn in a limited amount of time.

Also, a thing to consider is that research tracks are for people who are interested in not just doing some research, but doing research as the main part of their future careers. At the kind of programs that have research tracks (and even those that don't), there are usually opportunities for residents to be involved in research without doing a research track. So consider how much research you want in your future career, you may be able to do jusit enough research without a research track.
Thank you! That is what I suspected. I am really very seriously considering making research a part of my career.

I was able to dig up my two rejection letters from 5 years ago:

Dear Mr. ****,

Thank you for your application to our residency training program in the
Department of Psychiatry at ***.

Due to the large number of applications we receive for a limited number of
positions, and the competitiveness of our program, we are unable to invite you
for an interview.

Best wishes for a successful match.

Dear ERAS Applicant:

Thank you for applying to our general adult psychiatry residency program at

We greatly appreciate your application to our training program. We are sorry
to inform you that we are unable to grant you an interview for a position with
our psychiatry residency training program at this time.

Our regret is that **** receives many more applications than it has educational
opportunities. We only have four PGY1 positions for which we have received
close to 300 applications.

Unfortunately, a number of extremely well-qualified candidates must be denied
interview appointments each year. Given the uniformly, high quality of our
applicants' recommendations, grades and scores, we select people for
interviews primarily based on how good a fit we imagine the applicant would be
in our program. This is not easy to do from the application and personal
statement, but we only have the capacity to interview 40 people.

We are very glad that you have chosen to go into psychiatry and extend to you
our best wishes for securing the program and training you desire.

They were indeed right about it being a competitive year, as I’m sure these programs found out when they had to compete with each other for people in the scramble.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you! That is what I suspected. I am really very seriously considering making research a part of my career.
Do you have a strong letter from your research advisor talking about your future research potential as one of your ERAS letters? It does help having one for research track applications.

U. of Colorado rejection! Oh well, no connections to the state at all...

Nah, haha. Aw well. Thanks for the info!
Like I said, you can find good research opportunities without doing research track, and you can use your elective time if you feel that you need that time for research. Inquire about research opportunities at your interviews.

I was able to dig up my two rejection letters from 5 years ago:

They were indeed right about it being a competitive year, as I’m sure these programs found out when they had to compete with each other for people in the scramble.
Wow, the second program seems to be very polite!

Reactions: 2 users
UCSF rejection a couple days ago. Also was in my spam folder fyi.

Last edited:
UCSF rejection a couple days ago. Also was in my spam folder fyi.

29 emails from long lost relatives offering me money and 1 email from UCSF telling me they wouldn't interview me. Now to go respond to those other 29 emails!!!

jk all 30 of those emails went to the trash byeeee

Boston medical center today. Also tufts and brown a week or two back.

Hey guys. Since I am OP, I will update to keep this post alive. Rejects from: UW Seattle, Corvalis, OHSU, Arrowhead, San Mateo. So no love from the Pacific Northwest.

rejected from U of illinois. can someone please post the rejection google doc again? I am unable to see it (says the document is not published)?

Stanford on Fri night. Sent a love letter the other day.