USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Just going to post this to show practice tests aren't always the best predictors.
European US-IMG:
NBME 13-two months out-211
NBME 15-one month out-245
NBME 16-230
NBME 17-242
NBME 18-232
UWSA1-235
UWSA2-242
Real Deal-226
Cheers guys
how far did you take uwsa2 and nbme 18 from real deal?
what did you do in last week of prep?

I am a member of that USMLE Step 1 forum on FB.. found this really good experience for USMLE prep and though i should share it:

Members don't see this ad :)
The cyp enzymes were on my exam as well, in fact it was the very first question on the first block, so I think they seem to be showing up consistently. I remember reading months back that someone was asked about some obscure cyp isoform or another and thinking back then no way I would ever get such a question. Keep in mind I read not only FA, but also all the Kaplan books and don't remember seeing these enzymes listed anywhere...Also had a bunch of questions on breech deliveries, which seemed to be repeating in every other block. I did not know what to make of them, so I kept answering breech delivery...I had other questions that kept repeating as well, they threw me off because I was not sure what they wanted me to answer...it was like a terrible deja vu, where they kept grilling me on the same thing till I got it right...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, i wanna share my experience on step 1, my exam was today (11/9) - on UWORLD my average score was around 75% , did nbme (13) on (21/8) got 220 , did nbme (17) 3 days prior to exam and got 240 . I was confident and relaxed , but sadly I feel that the real exam was really hard , same level of UWORLD , i think 13 & 17 were much easier than the real deal .
I'm not sure if ill get above 200 ,missed a lot of easy questions , a lot of stupid mistakes.
Now ill have to wait 3 weeks for the results :(
Ok, got my result today, 236 , better than i expected but is it a good result for img ???

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on your score.
It depends on many other factors, but it is definitly a good score.
Cheer up and enjoy your day, put in your mind that you are done with this monster exam and you got a good score.

The cyp enzymes were on my exam as well, in fact it was the very first question on the first block, so I think they seem to be showing up consistently. I remember reading months back that someone was asked about some obscure cyp isoform or another and thinking back then no way I would ever get such a question. Keep in mind I read not only FA, but also all the Kaplan books and don't remember seeing these enzymes listed anywhere...Also had a bunch of questions on breech deliveries, which seemed to be repeating in every other block. I did not know what to make of them, so I kept answering breech delivery...I had other questions that kept repeating as well, they threw me off because I was not sure what they wanted me to answer...it was like a terrible deja vu, where they kept grilling me on the same thing till I got it right...

I think it is in Kaplan pharmacology book. It is either in the first or second chapter if I remember correctly.

Are the scores showing up every 3rd Wednesday? I am seeing very few experiences these days.
Should I expect my score on 3 rd Wednesday?

it seems that people do get it 3-4 wednesdays after

but i sat the exam on 7th sept and its been 4 weeks and i still havent received scores

so it may vary

I got a question for you guys, in Pompe disease you have a deficiency of alpha 1,4 glucosidase enzyme with alpha 1,6 glucosidase activity. So are they saying alpha 1,4 glucosidase enzyme also had alpha 1,6 glucosidase activity and with deficiency of enzyme you have loss of this activity also

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, hope your step studying is going well.

I want to ask for any advice and evaluation on where I am at with my studying.
I started my dedicated studying on September and took my first NBME (13) about a month ago. I got a 196 equivalent on USMLE. Now after more than a month into my dedicated study time, I took NBME 15 and only got a 200 which is barely an improvement. I don't know what to make of this as I am planning to take my step 2 months from now with a target score of at least 230. Kinda devastated with that score since I thought I really knew my stuff while answering the questions. I have completed more than half of my U-World first pass with a 56% average and finished 1/2 of my basic science review. What are your thoughts on where I am at and how can I really bring my score up since I am basically doing the UFAP method of review? PS: I am an US-IMG

Thanks!

Hey guys, hope your step studying is going well.

I want to ask for any advice and evaluation on where I am at with my studying.
I started my dedicated studying on September and took my first NBME (13) about a month ago. I got a 196 equivalent on USMLE. Now after more than a month into my dedicated study time, I took NBME 15 and only got a 200 which is barely an improvement. I don't know what to make of this as I am planning to take my step 2 months from now with a target score of at least 230. Kinda devastated with that score since I thought I really knew my stuff while answering the questions. I have completed more than half of my U-World first pass with a 56% average and finished 1/2 of my basic science review. What are your thoughts on where I am at and how can I really bring my score up since I am basically doing the UFAP method of review? PS: I am an US-IMG

Thanks!

You're only half way through your review! Keep pushing through, keep doing flashcards and stay focused on the goal. I'm guessing you took NBME 13 offline? Not an accurate way to assess yourself! Keep pushing and believe in the process.

You're only half way through your review! Keep pushing through, keep doing flashcards and stay focused on the goal. I'm guessing you took NBME 13 offline? Not an accurate way to assess yourself! Keep pushing and believe in the process.

Thanks for those encouraging words! I am currently doing the FA and Pathoma flashcards on Anki and it's helpful. And I did the NBME 13 online unfortunately. Just wondering what percentage correct on the whole NBME can give a score above 220 since 75% correct is not that good apparently.

Hello guys,
Exam on Tuesday .. any last minute advice !!
I’m revising FA from today with rapid review.. should I just concentrate on selective stuff for last 2 days??
Or just overview of whole FA ..

Thanks a lot ..

Exam is on Thurs.
Took UWSA2 today got 249. Was suppose to take it w NBME 19 but the wifi in the library keep kicking me off.

Wanted to take NBME 19 for the additional questions. But I saw some sites already have the q&a. Should I still even bother taking NBME 19? Or just nonstop FA for the next 2 days? lol

Hey! I took my exam on the same date as you. Has your permit disappeared?

Just got my results today. I just want to say that I am pissed off at the practice NBMEs. I spend months agonizing over my NBME scores and in the end, I ended up scoring 20 points above my lowest NBME. I had fallen into the depths of despair because of those NBME scores. I never felt like they predicted my score accurately. UWSA and my Uworld qbank average ended up being right on the spot. For those of you who can't seem to get those NBMEs above 220: don't despair, if you feel like you know the material, you probably do and you will get a good score.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my results today. I just want to say that I am pissed off at the practice NBMEs. I spend months agonizing over my NBME scores and in the end, I ended up scoring 20 points above my lowest NBME. I had fallen into the depths of despair because of those NBME scores. I never felt like they predicted my score accurately. UWSA and my Uworld qbank average ended up being right on the spot. For those of you who can't seem to get those NBMEs above 220: don't despair, if you feel like you know the material, you probably do and you will get a good score.

I totally agree with you. Got my score today too. Ended up getting 15 points higher than my last NBME. Congratulations!

I did my rotations in internal medicine, surgery, and pediatrics before taking this exam. I didn't do so hot on a practice NBME just after second year (165). Did 5.5 weeks of studying.

8/24 NBME 16: 196
8/31 UWSA2: 239
9/8 NBME 17: 217
9/15 NBME 18: 221
9/21 NBME 19: 223
9/28 Step 1: 244

As you can see, my score barely budged during the last few weeks and I was super stressed out and didn't know why I couldn't improve. I think the reasons why I got a big jump are 1) I studied my notes on concepts and details I got wrong from UWorld that last week, 2) I went through high-yield stuff in First Aid and Pathoma the last few days, 3) I did some light studying (Rapid Review, tables in First Aid) in the morning the day before the exam and took the rest of the day off hiking, spending time with family and friends, and 4) luck!
It is so important to go over your weaknesses and reviewing notes on questions you got wrong on a regular basis. The exam is 8 hours long so you need a clear mind.

My schedule was basically:
7am: get up to exercise (walk the dogs)
8am: eat breakfast and start doing 4 blocks of UWorld and review questions, writing notes in a notebook on ones I got wrong, plus lunch (~7 hours)
3pm: Go through either First Aid or Pathoma, plus dinner
10pm: sleep
Don't forget to take a day or half-day off each week to avoid burnout.

My main resources were UWorld, First Aid, and Pathoma. I also used BRS Physiology and BRS Behavioral Sciences for only the systems I was weak on (for me it was respiratory, and I needed to review biostats and ethics).

PM me if you have any questions. It's a very stressful time so moral support from friends and family will help you. Being confident on the day of the exam and having a clear mind is super important!

Reactions: 4 users
I did my rotations in internal medicine, surgery, and pediatrics before taking this exam. I didn't do so hot on a practice NBME just after second year (165). Did 5.5 weeks of studying.

As you can see, my score barely budged during the last few weeks and I was super stressed out and didn't know why I couldn't improve. I think the reasons why I got a big jump are 1) I studied my notes on concepts and details I got wrong from UWorld that last week, 2) I went through high-yield stuff in First Aid and Pathoma the last few days, 3) I did some light studying (Rapid Review, tables in First Aid) in the morning the day before the exam and took the rest of the day off hiking, spending time with family and friends, and 4) luck!
It is so important to go over your weaknesses and reviewing notes on questions you got wrong on a regular basis. The exam is 8 hours long so you need a clear mind.

8am: eat breakfast and start doing 4 blocks of UWorld and review questions, writing notes in a notebook on ones I got wrong, plus lunch (~7 hours)

My main resources were UWorld, First Aid, and Pathoma. I also used BRS Physiology and BRS Behavioral Sciences for only the systems I was weak on (for me it was respiratory, and I needed to review biostats and ethics).

PM me if you have any questions. It's a very stressful time so moral support from friends and family will help you. Being confident on the day of the exam and having a clear mind is super important!

UWSA scores?

UWSA scores?

I did take UWSA form 1 during second year but didn’t do so hot on it. I don’t remember the score but it was a non-passing score. My UWSA form 2 score is already noted in the post: 239.

I forgot to mention that I subscribed to the UWorld option that lets you reset all the questions once. I don’t know the UWorld percentages from the first go (did step 1 questions during second year and step 1 plus step 2 CK Uworld questions during clinical rotations), but I scored 70-80% correct on my UWorld Step 1 blocks the second time through.

US-IMG

Got my score today.

NBME 16- 217(3 months out)
NBME 17- 203 (2.5months out)
NBME 18- 217 (1.5 months out)
NBME 19- 238 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 1- 234 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 2- 248 (4 days before exam)

Real deal: 230.

Reactions: 1 users

On an average, how much dedicated time would you say you used?
Congratulations on your score and HBD in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On an average, how much dedicated time would you say you used?
Congratulations on your score and HBD in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After my rotation, I did take a few days off to relax and didn't study intensely, but once I did I would say a total of 5.5 weeks dedicated. I did study a bit of First Aid along with courses during second year, but tried to focus on school lectures which is probably why my practice scores at the beginning weren't great.

Thanks!

Hi, this forum helps me to stay focus and also manage anxiety after the exam.

Background: Peruvian-IMG graduation 2016
Time of prep: 17-18 months --> 7months w/ Research + Working then 10 months dedicated.
Step 1 score: 251 (27 Sept 2017)

Assessments:
- NBME 15 online (April 2017) : 217
- NBME 2 offline (May 2017) : 36 wonrgs/200q
- NBME 5 offline (June 2017): 30 wrongs/200q
- NBME 12 offline (July 2017): 25 wrongs/200q
- NBME 16 online (03 sept 2017): 230
- NBME 11 offline (06 sept 2017): 18 wrongs/200q
- UWSA 1 online (10 sept 2017): 261
- UWSA 2 online (13 sept 2017): 242
- NBME 17 online (9 days prior exam): 244
- NBME 13 offline(10 days prior exam): 21 wrongs/200q
- NBME 18 online (5 days prior exam): 242
- NBME 19 online (2 days prior exam): 252
* REAL DEAL: 251.

I will post my experience as soon as I prepare it.

Last edited:
Hi, this forum helps me to stay focus and also manage anxiety after the exam.

Background: Peruvian-IMG graduation 2016
Time of prep: 17-18 months --> 7months w/ Research + Working then 10 months dedicated.
Step 1 score: 251 (27 Sept 2017)

Assessments:
- NBME 15 online (April 2017) : 217
- NBME 2 offline (May 2017) : 36 wonrgs/200q
- NBME 5 offline (June 2017): 30 wrongs/200q
- NBME 12 offline (July 2017): 25 wrongs/200q
- NBME 16 online (03 sept 2017): 230
- NBME 11 offline (06 sept 2017): 18 wrongs/200q
- UWSA 1 online (10 sept 2017): 261
- UWSA 2 online (13 sept 2017): 242
- NBME 17 online (9 days prior exam): 244
- NBME 13 offline(10 days prior exam): 21 wrongs/200q
- NBME 18 online (5 days prior exam): 242
- NBME 19 online (2 days prior exam): 252
* REAL DEAL: 251.

I will post my experience as soon as I prepare it.

Congratulations!
Will be waiting for your experience.

Got my score today. Been here a long time but never posted so I thought I could contribute my data too...

Background: Non-US IMG graduated 2015, now studying at a top tier US public health school
Prep time: June 2016 - Sept 2017 (last 3 weeks dedicated)

Kaplan Qbank (*0.5, timed mixed) 75%
UW (first and only pass, timed mixed) 81%

NBME 15: 242 (2.5 months out)
NBME 17: 240 (2.5 weeks out, freaked my out - felt like I made no progress at all in the past 2 months...)
UWSA 1: 271 (2 weeks out, didn't make much of it bc people say UWSA 1 over-predicts)
NBME 18: 257 (1.5 weeks out)
Free 120: 90% (1 week out, gave it at test centre)
UWSA 2: 260 (0.5 week out)

Step 1: 250 (Oct 1)

Test day experience: the test was a fair representation of all subjects. Difficulty-wise, it was like 7 harder versions of UW (marked almost double the number of Qs than I did on most UW blocks). I got a bit lucky, because I normally sucked at ethics, but had easier ethics questions, and from my score report, looks like I got most of them correct; also ~3 biostats/epi Qs each block - saved me a lot of time (really easy compared to my research and what I learn every day in classes). Also, ~5 dumb mistakes on gimmes. ~25 Qs each block were covered by UFAP, ~ 10 required a lot of reasoning, ~5 WTF questions I couldn't find out the answer through googling/UTD after the test.

Things I could've done better: Would go over pathoma cover to cover once (which I didn't) and do all NBMEs, as I recall some stuff on the test that were touched upon in pathoma and NBMEs but not FA or UW...

Guys ,
My step1 exam was on oct 17th , Tuesday..
when should I expect my results !!
Is this gonna be this Wednesday??

Feeling like I did many easy questions misread .. and answered wrong a lot of easy questions..feeling stressed and nervous .. :(

Guys ,
My step1 exam was on oct 17th , Tuesday..
when should I expect my results !!
Is this gonna be this Wednesday??

Feeling like I did many easy questions misread .. and answered wrong a lot of easy questions..feeling stressed and nervous .. :(

I took my Step exam on Sept 28 and got the results Oct 18...so about 3 weeks? You get an email on the morning of the day the results come out.
Use the defense mechanism of suppression: you already took the exam and can't do anything about it, so keep yourself busy with other things and don't worry about it until you get the results!

I took my Step exam on Sept 28 and got the results Oct 18...so about 3 weeks? You get an email on the morning of the day the results come out.
Use the defense mechanism of suppression: you already took the exam and can't do anything about it, so keep yourself busy with other things and don't worry about it until you get the results!

Thanks a lot :)

Guys, My exam was 17 th oct ..probably my results will be on this Wednesday..
I just checked Ecfmg .. my scheduling permit just disappeared.. what does that mean??
My eligibility periods is till November ..
am I gonna get my score this Wednesday??

Really nervous guys.. last two days to go probably..

I just checked Ecfmg .. my scheduling permit just disappeared.. what does that mean??

any news yet?

Took mine the same day... guessing u didn't get ur score today either?

Hi Guys,
Old IMG(2013 Grad), really disappointed with my Step 1 result that came yesterday, test wa on 17th Oct. I scored 208( mean 228 with SD +/- 21 as per score report). I have already cleared CS waiting to write CK. Do I have any chance in obtaining a residency position. IM is my preference but Neurology/Pediatrics I am open to doing. I did UFAP as my base. Question paper seemed doable, I dont know where I went wrong. NBME 17,18,16 were in 228-236 range. UWSA 1 was 242.
Any inputs??

Hi Guys,
Old IMG(2013 Grad), really disappointed with my Step 1 result that came yesterday, test wa on 17th Oct. I scored 208( mean 228 with SD +/- 21 as per score report). I have already cleared CS waiting to write CK. Do I have any chance in obtaining a residency position. IM is my preference but Neurology/Pediatrics I am open to doing. I did UFAP as my base. Question paper seemed doable, I dont know where I went wrong. NBME 17,18,16 were in 228-236 range. UWSA 1 was 242.
Any inputs??

Sorry to hear that, those things happens all the time, someone is an outlier. Someone gets + score, someone - from their nbme's and that is scary ... try to pull maximum on your step 2, apply to family medicine and try to obtain second residency after. I don't think that it sounds good to put all the finances into IM/NEURO/PEDs matchingi (doing observerships or electives in those specialties) because chances to match are slim unless you already have a person that will "match you", othervise you are risky about not matching anywhere, staying outside whitout single $ in your pocket. In order to prevent this, spend 3 years in FM and then Waive J1, and after this 6 years apply to whatever you want, with that background you will land some IM program with even a fellowship chance. My 0.5, I would do this for sure If I will be also an outlier. Good luck!

what do you think happened exactly, what kind of test you got? ... having 230 in nbme's and underscoring by 30 points is scary ... nbme's online?

Last edited:
Guys, is there a correlation/pattern as to why some people get their score and others don't (eventho they took it on same day)?...I've always had this belief tht late news is usually bad news lol.. took my exam on 17th, had mixed bag of emotions coming out, cld go either way, my nbmes and uwsas avgs were 220... not that stellar, hence anxiety is on max waiting for this result!

So here are some updates with regards to my NBMEs:
NBME 13: 196 (2.5 Months ago)
NBME 15: 200 (More than a month ago)
NBME 16: 205 (2 weeks ago)
And now the BOMB shell; NBME 17: 190 yesterday
I don't know what happened there especially since I felt like I was doing well for the entire exam but I missed more questions on this NBME than any other. I got 72% of the questions right but it's not enough to pass. I have planned to take the test in a month's time and I have already finish one pass of UFAP but I am lost for words. I was thinking of immediately delaying my test date but thought I should take another NBME and re-evaluate on pushing back the test date. I bid goodbye to my goal of 230 and I will be more than content with 220 and won't compromise on a score below 215 but is it a realistic goal with a month left?

So here are some updates with regards to my NBMEs:
NBME 13: 196 (2.5 Months ago)
NBME 15: 200 (More than a month ago)
NBME 16: 205 (2 weeks ago)
And now the BOMB shell; NBME 17: 190 yesterday
I don't know what happened there especially since I felt like I was doing well for the entire exam but I missed more questions on this NBME than any other. I got 72% of the questions right but it's not enough to pass. I have planned to take the test in a month's time and I have already finish one pass of UFAP but I am lost for words. I was thinking of immediately delaying my test date but thought I should take another NBME and re-evaluate on pushing back the test date. I bid goodbye to my goal of 230 and I will be more than content with 220 and won't compromise on a score below 215 but is it a realistic goal with a month left?

Your NBME scores tell me that there is a major lack of understanding of the content or that you aren't answering the questions correctly because of distractors or overthinking. What is your approach when you study or when reviewing questions you got wrong?
It's important to go over incorrect questions as well as to cover topics you are weak in. I would try another NBME after troubleshooting. If no improvement, definitely postpone the test date.