USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
That's sort of what we've been discussing on this thread for the past week or so. The general consensus is that UWSA exams will overshoot and NBME exams will fairly accurate on the real deal. Even tho the % correct is higher your score is scaled based on the performance of others. The curve on some of the NBME exams has been recently modified to reflect the performance of the cohort sitting for step 1 now. That means if your score is 88% = 230 (average), then the average current medical student sitting for step 1 is scoring 88% correct. It's insane but you're dealing with the top 1% in academia taking a standardized exam haha!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

great...looks like I need 80% correct just to pass the damn thing

That's sort of what we've been discussing on this thread for the past week or so. The general consensus is that UWSA exams will overshoot and NBME exams will fairly accurate on the real deal. Even tho the % correct is higher your score is scaled based on the performance of others. The curve on some of the NBME exams has been recently modified to reflect the performance of the cohort sitting for step 1 now. That means if your score is 88% = 230 (average), then the average current medical student sitting for step 1 is scoring 88% correct. It's insane but you're dealing with the top 1% in academia taking a standardized exam haha!

Its amazing how smart people are in medicine. The number of subjects tested, the huge amount of info and the details is crazy. As if thats not enough the questions are 2-3 steps. People are getting 85-95% is just amazing if you think about it.

p.s. the curve definitely changed nov 2016 when they changed the score report as well. thats when i saw my score take a major dip with a higher percent, makes me wonder how i would have done back then on the real thing

Reactions: 1 user
how does everyone feel about DIT? i'm having a very hard time deciding if i should do the course or just read FA on my own. any insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
how does everyone feel about DIT? i'm having a very hard time deciding if i should do the course or just read FA on my own. any insight?

I'm using it currently to do a first pass of FA. I know myself and I wouldn't be able to effectively sit, read, and absorb FA alone (tried that with the MCAT, didn't work). I enjoy the way it's laid out and it's starting with biochem to repeat it frequently (good for me since it's not a terribly strong area). If you know FA material pretty well, I think it would be a waste of time and money. If you need to do a pass of FA and have some high yield mnemonics and illustrations along with a stepwise progression, I'd recommend it. I'm trying to use their workbook to follow along to make the process more active. I can't comment on its effectiveness, though, since I'm wrapping up day 1 of dedicated.

Reactions: 1 users
Its amazing how smart people are in medicine. The number of subjects tested, the huge amount of info and the details is crazy. As if thats not enough the questions are 2-3 steps. People are getting 85-95% is just amazing if you think about it.

p.s. the curve definitely changed nov 2016 when they changed the score report as well. thats when i saw my score take a major dip with a higher percent, makes me wonder how i would have done back then on the real thing

It is truly amazing indeed! However, I don't necessarily believe that we are getting THAT much smarter over the cohort who tested in the previous years, rather the board review sources are getting better at helping you identify high yield information!!!

It is truly amazing indeed! However, I don't necessarily believe that we are getting THAT much smarter over the cohort who tested in the previous years, rather the board review sources are getting better at helping you identify high yield information!!!

yup I agree, not to mention we have high speed internet at our fingertips. It was only 15-20 years ago it was dial up lol.

I believe overall inteligence is similar across the board, the defining factor is hardwork and efficiency.

Just because you have a high IQ does not mean your full of knowledge, it means you have the potenial to go above and beyond.

Thats how boards separate the students who are willing to work hard, make sacrifices, and do whatever it takes to make it.

there is a quote that Dr. Fischer mentions "All men are created equal, BUT they do not stay that way"

yup I agree, not to mention we have high speed internet at our fingertips. It was only 15-20 years ago it was dial up lol.

I believe overall inteligence is similar across the board, the defining factor is hardwork and efficiency.

Just because you have a high IQ does not mean your full of knowledge, it means you have the potenial to go above and beyond.

Thats how boards separate the students who are willing to work hard, make sacrifices, and do whatever it takes to make it.

there is a quote that Dr. Fischer mentions "All men are created equal, BUT they do not stay that way"
I disagree with the bolded statement. Some of my classmates are straight brilliant and I would say I work harder than most of them (eg. they're done studying by dinner time; I go hard until bed time).

I disagree with the bolded statement. Some of my classmates are straight brilliant and I would say I work harder than most of them (eg. they're done studying by dinner time; I go hard until bed time).
to each their own opinion. Depends how you think they are more intellingent, or efficient.

you have to work harder, but can you produce similar results?

to each their own opinion. Depends how you think they are more intellingent, or efficient.

you have to work harder, but can you produce similar results?
Nope, they still perform better than me grade-wise. I'm still an above average student, they're just on a different level (eg. hitting 250+ on their first practice exam).

Nope, they still perform better than me grade-wise. I'm still an above average student, they're just on a different level (eg. hitting 250+ on their first practice exam).

Gunner? It could just be that some people don't live and breath and die by medicine. Some people's lives consist of other priorities as well, thus they are more well-rounded in my opinion. I love medicine and science, but I couldn't do the same thing day-in and day-out without some sort of release from the monotony!

Gunner? It could just be that some people don't live and breath and die by medicine. Some people's lives consist of other priorities as well, thus they are more well-rounded in my opinion. I love medicine and science, but I couldn't do the same thing day-in and day-out without some sort of release from the monotony!

exactly, not to mention 250+ on first practice are outliers. remeber not many break 250 on real deal, except on SDN of course.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No sense in arguing.

exactly, not to mention 250+ on first practice are outliers. remeber not many break 250 on real deal, except on SDN of course.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No sense in arguing.
on SDN everyone has 3 articles or research, goes to a top 20 school

on SDN everyone has 3 articles or research, goes to a top 20 school

Ya I mean, theoretically nothing is stopping people from savagely lying about their school/stats/life... even tho there is absolutely no incentive except odd self-deprecation that happens with the "just got a 267 on step 1, what are my chances of family medicine?" What I wanna say is "100. Now GO F**K yourself"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I mean, theoretically nothing is stopping people from savagely lying about their school/stats/life... even tho there is absolutely no incentive except odd self-deprecation that happens with the "just got a 267 on step 1, what are my chances of family medicine?"

lmao, OMG my practice scores are 270 but my last NBME was a 269, what do I do now? should i quit?

Reactions: 12 users
Hey guys, As I've already stated, I took the exam on march 28. Could you please tell me when the results are due? April 19 maybe? Thanks

I think you misunderstood my posts. Read them both again.

Hey guys, As I've already stated, I took the exam on march 28. Could you please tell me when the results are due? April 19 maybe? Thanks

Yes, I think so. I took my exam on the 27th and I'm still waiting.

Has your permit link disappeared? Also, does it mean anything if we can still apply for the exam or is it just because my eligibility period ended? Looking for any possible sign... I know it's dumb lol.

Do things like Autoimmune pOlyendocrine syndrome / familial mediterranean fever come up on step? I've not seen a s.i.n.g.l.e. question across UW, RX or Kaplan or even in an NBME yet...but sattar makes it sound like its super high yield.

Guess my question is –– is it obvious on step that that's what they're getting at or is it still pretty obscure?

Do things like Autoimmune pOlyendocrine syndrome / familial mediterranean fever come up on step? I've not seen a s.i.n.g.l.e. question across UW, RX or Kaplan or even in an NBME yet...but sattar makes it sound like its super high yield.

Guess my question is –– is it obvious on step that that's what they're getting at or is it still pretty obscure?
Given the amount of questions that I feel like I'm going to come across when I sit for Step 1, that I've never seen in UW/FA/Pathoma/Sketchy, I consider everything that I come across in these resources to be all as equal-HY lol.

Yes, I think so. I took my exam on the 27th and I'm still waiting.

Has your permit link disappeared? Also, does it mean anything if we can still apply for the exam or is it just because my eligibility period ended? Looking for any possible sign... I know it's dumb lol.
you will both get on 19th, first wednesday does not count.

anything is possible
Hey guys, I just got destroyed on NBME 15... my school is giving me a CBSE exam in a week. How do I recover?

what does destroyed mean? 190 or 250?

The former ... haven't done UW yet so I'm freaking out now. I need to finish UWorld.

focus on weaknesses from NBME 15 from weakest to borderline, if its a main subject like path do pathoma, if its micro do sketchy etc. if its organ do FA and questions. Im sure you can turn the frown into a smile

If you took the exam Saturday - Tuesday it'll be the 4th Wednesday. There are a fair amount of my classmates, myself included (took the exam Saturday, March 18) that are getting our scores back tomorrow making it our 4th Wednesday. It's like everyone that took it March 18 - at least March 23 are getting their scores tomorrow. I have a friend that took the test the day before me on Friday, March 17 and he got his score last Wed.

I'm expecting my results in 6 hours ( this Wednesday) I was curious and tried to open the link for OASIS.
This link that says
". OASIS - View the validity of your Certification of Identification Form (Form 186)

The website is down. Is this normal ?

I'm expecting my results in 6 hours ( this Wednesday) I was curious and tried to open the link for OASIS.
This link that says
". OASIS - View the validity of your Certification of Identification Form (Form 186)

The website is down. Is this normal ?

there are tabs on left side of the page, it wasnt down.
I live in philly and and results came out at 7:52am

there are tabs on left side of the page, it wasnt down.
I live in philly and and results came out at 7:52am

Interesting. I should be expecting them soon then. Good luck to everyone receiving them today.

I was referring to form 186. The actual website works with no score report yet.

Hey everyone, I need some advice.

I have my exam 0n Friday and am beginning to freak out.

My most recent NBME self Assessment was form 17 (about a week ago) and I was thrilled and surprised to receive a 250. I finished UWorld with an average of 76% (one pass, all randoms from the beginning). I have gone through FA and Pathoma 2x. I was confident and pleased with my progress until yesterday.

Yesterday I did the NBME free 120 q's and missed 4 on my first section and took a lunch break extremely pleased with my performance only to get annihilated on the latter two sections missing an overall total of 20 questions. Obviously this is the last thing I need before my exam and clearly it shows serious fundamental gaps in my knowledge... Maybe form 17 was a fluke.

I was wondering if anyone had some insight. I just don't know what to do from here on out and am concerned that this is a bad sign. I have worked so hard for 8 weeks (13-15 hr days) and would be so depressed to not perform well on the exam.
Relax. The last thing you need right now is unnecessary pressure and anxiety. Trust in your preparation easier said than done but freaking out will not make it any better. The truth is some test will play to your strength and some will not. focus on hammering last minute details like formulas, the last pages of FA that has those high yield fact and any other thing that you are not too great on And yea Good luck!

Just took my exam.

The exam was more or less what I've prepared for even though it was more difficult than any NBME I have taken. There was a good portion of easy questions that if you studied you really couldn't miss, some tricky ones and some which I had to guess almost completely (usually not more than 4-5 per block).

First 2 blocks were difficult, blocks 3-4-5-6 were pretty easy and then in block 7 I was really unsure in most of the questions. The last block let me a bitter taste in my mouth, but in any case there's nothing to do but relax and wait for the scores.

Now finally some days of vacations, good luck to everybody who has to take the exam yet. It's tough but it's a fair exam, if you are prepared you don't have anything to worry about

Reactions: 12 users
Just took my exam.

The exam was more or less what I've prepared for even though it was more difficult than any NBME I have taken. There was a good portion of easy questions that if you studied you really couldn't miss, some tricky ones and some which I had to guess almost completely (usually not more than 4-5 per block).

First 2 blocks were difficult, blocks 3-4-5-6 were pretty easy and then in block 7 I was really unsure in most of the questions. The last block let me a bitter taste in my mouth, but in any case there's nothing to do but relax and wait for the scores.

Now finally some days of vacations, good luck to everybody who has to take the exam yet. It's tough but it's a fair exam, if you are prepared you don't have anything to worry about

Congrats on BEING DONE! YAY!

Relax and have fun. I'm taking the test next Tuesday... After 4 weeks of waiting for a new permit and a spot. UGH.

Can you remind me your NBME scores? The "wtf" questions... Do you think there was a way of knowing the answer only from UFAP?

Just took my exam.

was it similar in style to uworld at all?

@johanna. My last nbme scores were NBME 16 211 nbme 17 209 nbme 19 217 nbme 18 223. The wtf questions were usually on stuff that you don't find on first aid or uworld, but if you studied you usually can exclude 1-2 options and take an educated guess. Few questions (5-10) were very clinical and were similar to step 2 questions but they were just a small part of the exam. Micro part was particularly tough on my exam and that's weird because I thought it was one of my strengths. Unfortunately I haven't done pathoma so I really don't know if it's useful or not.
I also got a lot of questions about atypical presentations of diseases like Chron, RA, SLE. Usually on NBMEs it's very easy to diagnose them but on the exam they put a lot of confounders and some questions were quite tricky.

@Spaceballs Yes similar in style for sure but I'll advise you, you won't find any uworld question repeated on the exam. I would say that it was a mixture between NBME and Uworld. Similarities with Uworld were long stems and 2-step questions but they way of asking things resembled a lot more NBME

@johanna. My last nbme scores were NBME 16 211 nbme 17 209 nbme 19 217 nbme 18 223. The wtf questions were usually on stuff that you don't find on first aid or uworld, but if you studied you usually can exclude 1-2 options and take an educated guess. Few questions (5-10) were very clinical and were similar to step 2 questions but they were just a small part of the exam. Micro part was particularly tough on my exam and that's weird because I thought it was one of my strengths. Unfortunately I haven't done pathoma so I really don't know if it's useful or not.
I also got a lot of questions about atypical presentations of diseases like Chron, RA, SLE. Usually on NBMEs it's very easy to diagnose them but on the exam they put a lot of confounders and some questions were quite tricky.

@Spaceballs Yes similar in style for sure but you won't find any uworld question repeated on the exam. I would say that it was a mixture between NBME and Uworld. Similarities with Uworld were long stems and 2-step questions but the way of asking things resembled a lot more NBME

@Spaceballs Yes similar in style for sure but I'll advise you, you won't find any uworld question repeated on the exam. I would say that it was a mixture between NBME and Uworld. Similarities with Uworld were long stems and 2-step questions but they way of asking things resembled a lot more NBME
Thank you for the input, i have a question myself. how long did you study for it ?

Stop jerking off.... Worked for me.
Wat8.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Omg im glad u guys said it.. now i feel better because i sometimes read threads and think im just not good enough for medicine maybe, seeing all these great high scores and people qorrying of getting in an nbme a 250. It would just make me feel like sh*** lol.

Ya I mean, theoretically nothing is stopping people from savagely lying about their school/stats/life... even tho there is absolutely no incentive except odd self-deprecation that happens with the "just got a 267 on step 1, what are my chances of family medicine?" What I wanna say is "100. Now GO F**K yourself"

Love this

Hey guys, I just got destroyed on NBME 15... my school is giving me a CBSE exam in a week. How do I recover?

Before i took cbse a week before i got a 186 in nbme 18. Hahaha. Then i took the cbse a week later in my school(not step 1) and got a 218. Its possible. Just study ur weaknesses and know cold hard micro and pharm bc that saved my a$$

Omg i fet the same qay with micro it was my thinng and it was really wtf in the exam. Things that werent in sketchy!

Idk why I have such bad brain fog today guys... anyone ever have that happen to them? And how did you overcome

Take a day off to relax and have time for yourself, work out, masterbate, and get a solid 8 hours sleep. Recharge and refocus.

burnouts happen and trying to be a hero and work through it doesnt really help, even if your running out of time. I remeber my last week I had to take a day and half off and then went hard last 5 days and I do not regret it one bit.

Reactions: 2 users