USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
^How about Anatomy? TIA.
I personally have not yet used outside resources for Anatomy. However, many previous test takers say that the anatomy in FA + Uworld is plenty. Others, have suggested HY Neuroanatomy.

Edit - wow, @A$AP I didn't even read your post lol. Talk about a general consensus

Reactions: 1 users
hi guys, what resource can I use to improve on physiology. exams in 2months
I've been using Physeo videos. They're the Physiology equivalent of Pathoma, if you've used that for Pathology. There's some typos, and they currently only have Cardio, Endocrine, Kidney, Neuro, and Lung, but I highly recommend the 30 hours of videos they have available.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree on the physeo. It is what made me go from having no idea how to approach cardio to being able to simply read a question stem and fully tackle a question conceptually. It's why I'm averaging 80% on cardio questions in Uworld.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've been using Physeo videos. They're the Physiology equivalent of Pathoma, if you've used that for Pathology. There's some typos, and they currently only have Cardio, Endocrine, Kidney, Neuro, and Lung, but I highly recommend the 30 hours of videos they have available.
hey buddy i havent't heard of them as yet... couldu get me to their website ... thanks

I have never heard about them. where can I watch them?

would you say its pretty high yield for respiratory ?? or is it like najeeb where a video is like an hour long
Videos average an hour (at least for cardio). I'd say it is as thorough as a course lecture while hitting all high yield info. If you just want main points, just use first aid. If you want thorough explanations.. use physeo. For example, ekg lecture would go into detail explaining that the r' found in RBBB is septal depolarization and the R is the delayed depolarization of the right ventricle rather than just stating a RBBB has two R peaks in v1 and a large S wave in v6.

Can you explain how you felt the emphasis was different? Perhaps using examples (does not have to be directly from your exam). Congrats on finishing by the way, and want to add that nearly everyone feels very badly about their exam but end up doing right around their NBME average.

I just meant the question types. I found Uworld specifically emphasized a few topics repeatedly and quite heavily and the real exam while having some of those topics also had others such that if you kept doing UWorld you would see an improvement overtime by learning from those same repeated topics that happen over and over again (i'm thinking CF and CYP450 enzyme interactions here as an example) but those topics don't show up as frequently on the real exam.

I just meant the question types. I found Uworld specifically emphasized a few topics repeatedly and quite heavily and the real exam while having some of those topics also had others such that if you kept doing UWorld you would see an improvement overtime by learning from those same repeated topics that happen over and over again (i'm thinking CF and CYP450 enzyme interactions here as an example) but those topics don't show up as frequently on the real exam.

So then what shows up frequently on the exam?:laugh:

Totally agree, that's why near the end of the bank you feel the questions are easier and your average rises. I haven't started preparation for step 2 yet but using uworld as the only source for step 1 will be a huge blow. It's very helpful but you need a good primary study source with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree, that's why near the end of the bank you feel the questions are easier and your average rises. I haven't started preparation for step 2 yet but using uworld as the only source for step 1 will be a huge blow. It's very helpful but you need a good primary study source with it.

What kind of topics are these that showed up but were not hit hard in UWorld? I haven't done much of UWorld yet (currently in the process) so I can kind of see what you mean but don't really know.

I can attest to this. After finishing Rx, I have become an expert in the diagnosis/treatment of EBV and Hepatitis B illnesses. 2/164564 testable topics down, just a few more to go.

What kind of topics are these that showed up but were not hit hard in UWorld? I haven't done much of UWorld yet (currently in the process) so I can kind of see what you mean but don't really know.
The kind I thought very low yield to be testable, check your inbox

So I took the real step 1 couple days ago and wow it was hard AF. NBMEs are a joke compared to that beast (thus, I hope the curve is more representative of UWSA). If the curve for real step 1 is anything like the curve for the NBME practice exams, then wow, I'ma end up retaking this ****.

My last NBME17/18 avg was a 253. My UWSA1/2 avg was a 257. UW Qbank was 77%. If only those scores counted for something :(

I Just took the step1 yesterday and i also found it to be hard!! Did you also get a lot of very specific anatomy questions? Even about V3 branches The ethical qs seemed like dillemas and there were also a lot of experimental questions . Very little micro. Pharm was the most similar tópic to uworld but the others seemed to have a different q approach. Also got like 8 biopsy photos without much clinical clues . But let's wait for the results! I'm very worried but hoping For a surprise. Best wishes for you too!

I think instead of having 100 posts about private messaging everyone, can you please just publicly state what other resources would be more helpful? I would appreciate it very much, thank you! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Taking exam next month.. Any advise on how to go about last 2 week ?

Scored 270+ in last few NBMEs and I wanna go in guns blazing..so to speak..lolz :D

Can you inbox me too? My step 1 plan allows me to get thru UWorld twice, but I'd like to know what else I should focus on.

Ditto, can you PM me? I found way too many questions about Turners and ACE-inhibitors in UWorld.

Can I also hitch a ride on this long list of dms?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why don't you guys just PM him instead of asking on the thread? Would save this thread from becoming a flood.

Since 234732 people are going to ask for PMs, ASM Student simply told me that there were low-yield facts in FA that were tested and gave a few hypothetical examples

Taking exam next month.. Any advise on how to go about last 2 week ?

Scored 270+ in last few NBMEs and I wanna go in guns blazing..so to speak..lolz :D
amazing score my man. I think you are gonna crush the board. just relax and maybe start for step 2 if you haven't done yet :D

Hey everyone! I need some quick advice. I just started studying for Step 1 officially this month. I took NBME 13 to see where I stand having not reviewed all the MS1 crap and got a 280 (184 equivalent). Should I be totally freaking the F out?! I did notice a whole lot of stuff that I would've got correct had I done a more thorough review of the MS1 stuff. I am set to take my STEP 1 the first week of April. I need to know if this is something that is normal having not reviewed everything... Also, some advice on a potential jump above 235?! o_O:sick:

Hey everyone! I need some quick advice. I just started studying for Step 1 officially this month. I took NBME 13 to see where I stand having not reviewed all the MS1 crap and got a 280 (184 equivalent). Should I be totally freaking the F out?! I did notice a whole lot of stuff that I would've got correct had I done a more thorough review of the MS1 stuff. I am set to take my STEP 1 the first week of April. I need to know if this is something that is normal having not reviewed everything... Also, some advice on a potential jump above 235?! o_O:sick:
how much have you done as far as reviewing MS2 material?

how much have you done as far as reviewing MS2 material?

The topics in MS2 were "starred" high performing. My school gives us cumulative NBME exams. So I've been pretty good at reviewing this MS2 material. My problem was the phsyio from certain systems we did in MS1 and some of the patho from that semester as well. In addition to some stray topics in general principles. My score equated to 70% correct... Is this what I have to expect?! Virtually flawless performance to pass! :/

The topics in MS2 were "starred" high performing. My school gives us cumulative NBME exams. So I've been pretty good at reviewing this MS2 material. My problem was the phsyio from certain systems we did in MS1 and some of the patho from that semester as well. In addition to some stray topics in general principles. My score equated to 70% correct... Is this what I have to expect?! Virtually flawless performance to pass! :/
I haven't taken any of the NBME exams yet so I can't comment on that. The reason I asked is if you haven't reviewed/done any Qbanks yet, a 30+ point increase over the course of a month and a half is realistically possible.

I feel like Kaplan tests on a lot of lower yield topics also their wording on some of the stuff is piss poor. I will admit that their bio chem and anatomy questions are on point.

Oh I agree. There is some crazy low yield stuff in there but just trying to get through as many questions as possible before hitting UWorld!

This is my second go at taking Step 1. The last time I took it, I was a bit stunned because I felt like I had a lot of questions that I would've expected to see on Step 2... Anyone had similar experiences?

Oh I agree. There is some crazy low yield stuff in there but just trying to get through as many questions as possible before hitting UWorld!
You are spot on with that, my kaplan % correct is pitiful compared to uworld
Thanks. How does the difficulty level compare to Uworld?
- it honestly depends on the subject. If i had to rate subjects kaplan did better i would say biochem,anatomy and micro are much harder. The other stuff is hit or miss. What i mean by that is that the questions vague, poorly worded, or super low yield

- it honestly depends on the subject. If i had to rate subjects kaplan did better i would say biochem,anatomy and micro are much harder. The other stuff is hit or miss. What i mean by that is that the questions vague, poorly worded, or super low yield[/QUOTE]
These low yield questions might equip you to add 5+ points to your score. There are a few of these questions on the real exam.

Was there any recalibration done recently to the scoring?

Are people still scoring in the 260s?

Havent seen any 260s in the last 2 weeks, and many have been freaking out over their low actual scores compared to their nbmes.

Any light on this?

- it honestly depends on the subject. If i had to rate subjects kaplan did better i would say biochem,anatomy and micro are much harder. The other stuff is hit or miss. What i mean by that is that the questions vague, poorly worded, or super low yield
Thank you for your answer to the previous question. I also have a question. So you think that real exam was much closer to kaplans Biochem,Micro and anatomy? And the rest of the real exam was more like Uworld? (trying to catch which subjects is better to add from kaplan q bank when I have already done through uworld, because It doesn't seem a good idea for me to go through full kaplan because of that super low yieldness, it seems better to do some subjects especially those in which you are weak from nbme assessment) Thank you!

Thank you for your answer to the previous question. I also have a question. So you think that real exam was much closer to kaplans Biochem,Micro and anatomy? And the rest of the real exam was more like Uworld? (trying to catch which subjects is better to add from kaplan q bank when I have already done through uworld, because It doesn't seem a good idea for me to go through full kaplan because of that super low yieldness, it seems better to do some subjects especially those in which you are weak from nbme assessment) Thank you!
Havent taken the exam yet, this is from personal experiance from doing RX uworld and kaplan. Out of these 3 uworld is top dog , Rx is good for a pass through FA. Both U world and RX test the same thing but the wording and description is completely diffrent. If you have time do as many questions as you can. Including all of Kaplan qbank. I know thats 6k+ questions but worth it .
These low yield questions might equip you to add 5+ points to your score. There are a few of these questions on the real exam.
]

you are right but i was just saying in general for most tested subjects, kaplan does alot of low yield

Havent taken the exam yet, this is from personal experiance from doing RX uworld and kaplan. Out of these 3 uworld is top dog , Rx is good for a pass through FA. Both U world and RX test the same thing but the wording and description is completely diffrent. If you have time do as many questions as you can. Including all of Kaplan qbank. I know thats 6k+ questions but worth it .
]

you are right but i was just saying in general for most tested subjects, kaplan does alot of low yield
Thank you for an answer.

I have another idea, do as many time uworld as you can and read all the right and wrongs + do kaplan subjectvise after doing an NBME online. So do only weak subjects from kaplan. RX is good for remembering classical stuff but it's to easy. So my opinion for this moment is do uworld minimum twice, do kaplan only weak subjects, do all the nbme's offline and online and after each time of online try to make accent on weak subjects and if you have additional time do RX, if you have no additional time just do FA and know it cold, cold means cold, I am using anki deck for rx 2016 so actually I don't read the book, but i will read 2017 book one time in the last month to know new things that appeared after 2016. Doing all the nbme I think is crucial and that's not only my opinion many people that scored 260+ have done all the nbme and after each nbme they worked on weak subjects because that's why you improve your score, you improve it after improving weak subjects. So in my understanding knowing cold first aid and pathoma (using rx 2016 deck and bros pathoma deck) + 2 runs through uworld + kaplan weak subjects + rx (if you have time) and all the 17 forms on nbme (from which minimum 4 will be online to know you weak sides) I am sure this will lead to 250 + and if you are lucky enough to 260 + because breaking 250 i am sure is about + - luck. Imagine you know 90% of Uworld ok? it literally means that you don't know 10% right? So you must be lucky do get less questions from that 10% that you don't know, and if you will be lucky enough do get most questions from that 90% you will score 260 +. somebody isn't lucky and gets more questions from that 10% that's why do we see people scoring 250 on nbme and 235 on real exam, that's about luck, you can't master 100%. I think the maximum is to get 90% in uworld after even 2-3 runs. Uworld covers all the topics, you can't remember more, actually you can't even remember all the uworld, if you could you will score 100% on second run instead of 70% 80% or 90%. So knowing cold all the topics of uworld, knowing like the back of hand FA and pathoma + all the nbme to turn you brain on the usmle side, start thinking as the test writers do I am sure this will lead to 260+. If you have not broken 250 that means you have not done all of this. This is my opinion, i hope anki will save my but. Good luck folks!

IMG here. Just took Step 1 yesterday after a whole year preparing. Aiming for a 240+. Was going to post this last night but if something's true is that you NEED to drink afterwards.
I'll start by saying that the exam itself is NOT that much of a beast. 7 blocks, 280 questions total, maybe only 5-10 in which I had absolutely no idea. Not saying I nailed it, because it is an extremely well made exam in which memorizing or kinda knowing things is not enough. I would say med school knowledge is key. I found myself remembering my teacher's lectures since first year more often than FA or UW content during the exam but of course this was only my experience. I still think anyone who really gives all his effort in studying can nail the exam. Questions were perfectly balanced, didn't feel like there were more biochem, more biostat, more physio or more anything than any other subject. One of my best advice: Try to follow the patterns in NBME's, free 150's and whatever else exams you take before. If you do 3 or 4 exams and they ask you similar things in all of them...MASTER those concepts. I don't mean just keep them or remember them but really master them because they WILL ask you that and they will probably ask you more than just one question about it and there's a reason for that...epidemiology of diseases in the US. Just keep that in mind.
FA is your bible. It really is. I never read Goljan or Pathoma and I was kinda worried in the end because of what everyone said but I really didn't miss them in the exam.
UW and NBME's are not an option...they are a MUST. The more you do, the more you will face your own truth about how you're doing. Level of difficulty of the real thing is pretty accurate for both. I would even say that there were more UW questions that I had no clue about than questions in the real thing but I guess that really varies. NBME on the other hand...that's as easy as it gets so it applies bothways...you find NBME's easy? You will find some questions in the exam really easy. You find them hard? Keep studying till they're easier.
This is my first post here so I really don't know how this works but if you do, you can contact me and I'll answer any further questions.
My stats
-UWSA 1 (3.5 months ago): 239
-UWSA 2 (3 months ago): 242
-NBME 17 online (2 months ago): 240
-NBME 13 offline (1.5 months ago): around 250
-NBME 15 offline (1 month ago): around 240
-NBMe 18 online (5 days ago): 240
Now the eternal 3 weeks of waiting...:nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
IMG here. Just took Step 1 yesterday after a whole year preparing. Aiming for a 240+. Was going to post this last night but if something's true is that you NEED to drink afterwards.
I'll start by saying that the exam itself is NOT that much of a beast. 7 blocks, 280 questions total, maybe only 5-10 in which I had absolutely no idea. Not saying I nailed it, because it is an extremely well made exam in which memorizing or kinda knowing things is not enough. I would say med school knowledge is key. I found myself remembering my teacher's lectures since first year more often than FA or UW content during the exam but of course this was only my experience. I still think anyone who really gives all his effort in studying can nail the exam. Questions were perfectly balanced, didn't feel like there were more biochem, more biostat, more physio or more anything than any other subject. One of my best advice: Try to follow the patterns in NBME's, free 150's and whatever else exams you take before. If you do 3 or 4 exams and they ask you similar things in all of them...MASTER those concepts. I don't mean just keep them or remember them but really master them because they WILL ask you that and they will probably ask you more than just one question about it and there's a reason for that...epidemiology of diseases in the US. Just keep that in mind.
FA is your bible. It really is. I never read Goljan or Pathoma and I was kinda worried in the end because of what everyone said but I really didn't miss them in the exam.
UW and NBME's are not an option...they are a MUST. The more you do, the more you will face your own truth about how you're doing. Level of difficulty of the real thing is pretty accurate for both. I would even say that there were more UW questions that I had no clue about than questions in the real thing but I guess that really varies. NBME on the other hand...that's as easy as it gets so it applies bothways...you find NBME's easy? You will find some questions in the exam really easy. You find them hard? Keep studying till they're easier.
This is my first post here so I really don't know how this works but if you do, you can contact me and I'll answer any further questions.
My stats
-UWSA 1 (3.5 months ago): 239
-UWSA 2 (3 months ago): 242
-NBME 17 online (2 months ago): 240
-NBME 13 offline (1.5 months ago): around 250
-NBME 15 offline (1 month ago): around 240
-NBMe 18 online (5 days ago): 240
Now the eternal 3 weeks of waiting...:nailbiting:

thank you for posting your experience. How do you think why you scored doesn't improved in the last two month, which resources you were using in that period of time? Thanks.

thank you for posting your experience. How do you think why you scored doesn't improved in the last two month, which resources you were using in that period of time? Thanks.
Not really sure. I want to think that the time between them was not enough and that was a mistake. If i could change anything about my preparation it would be to start NBMEs before. At least the offline ones. So, yeah I want to think that was it. Also, i'm in 5th year of medschool so I still had to worry about exams and clinical rotations. During this last 3 months I was doing 4-6 hours of FA daily and UW around 2 40 question blocks.

Thank you for an answer.

I have another idea, do as many time uworld as you can and read all the right and wrongs + do kaplan subjectvise after doing an NBME online. So do only weak subjects from kaplan. RX is good for remembering classical stuff but it's to easy. So my opinion for this moment is do uworld minimum twice, do kaplan only weak subjects, do all the nbme's offline and online and after each time of online try to make accent on weak subjects and if you have additional time do RX, if you have no additional time just do FA and know it cold, cold means cold, I am using anki deck for rx 2016 so actually I don't read the book, but i will read 2017 book one time in the last month to know new things that appeared after 2016. Doing all the nbme I think is crucial and that's not only my opinion many people that scored 260+ have done all the nbme and after each nbme they worked on weak subjects because that's why you improve your score, you improve it after improving weak subjects. So in my understanding knowing cold first aid and pathoma (using rx 2016 deck and bros pathoma deck) + 2 runs through uworld + kaplan weak subjects + rx (if you have time) and all the 17 forms on nbme (from which minimum 4 will be online to know you weak sides) I am sure this will lead to 250 + and if you are lucky enough to 260 + because breaking 250 i am sure is about + - luck. Imagine you know 90% of Uworld ok? it literally means that you don't know 10% right? So you must be lucky do get less questions from that 10% that you don't know, and if you will be lucky enough do get most questions from that 90% you will score 260 +. somebody isn't lucky and gets more questions from that 10% that's why do we see people scoring 250 on nbme and 235 on real exam, that's about luck, you can't master 100%. I think the maximum is to get 90% in uworld after even 2-3 runs. Uworld covers all the topics, you can't remember more, actually you can't even remember all the uworld, if you could you will score 100% on second run instead of 70% 80% or 90%. So knowing cold all the topics of uworld, knowing like the back of hand FA and pathoma + all the nbme to turn you brain on the usmle side, start thinking as the test writers do I am sure this will lead to 260+. If you have not broken 250 that means you have not done all of this. This is my opinion, i hope anki will save my but. Good luck folks!

In other words know everything's. lol I get your idea but this is difficult to do in a 6 week plan. I am on new world right now and I am scoring decently well but I haven't done my second run yet and I'm hoping to get up to the 90s avg on my second run. Basically with your preaching is repetition and I can definitely get behind that

So you're saying that we should do UWorld twice and Kaplan, if we have time?

I would uworld 2times. Kaplan once, Rx once. If I had time but if I don't uworld twice is a must and reading first aid. I feel like everything everyone says is very subjective because not everybody will have the same study time that you do, or the same groundwork that you do at the beginning. If you don't have a good frame doesn't matter how many questions you do. And somebody else mentioned this earlier work on your week parts for me it's Neuro and I've been going through first aid and brs for it

hi guys, need some advice, I am extremely slow going through uworld. can't seem to finish a block in a day. it takes me a long time to go through uworld. does any one have suggestions on how to speed things up.
p.s: I read every sentence in the uworld explanation