Official 2021 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goal weight: 250+ lbs
I've been eating a lot everyday so I think I have a chance

On a serious note, we just might be the last ones to take it pre-P/F. Let's rock.

Edit: As of today, we ARE the last ones to take it pre-P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
do questions first thing in the morning bc thats when youll take step. Do reviews after. Also stagger the questions where youre not doing questions for the topic youre reviewing at the same time. What i mean by this is lets say youre covering renal with anki cards and content review (BnB pathoma vids anki etc) Week 1 and then Week 2 youre covering cardio and Week 3 GI you should be doing Renal questions during week 2 and cardio questions during week 3 and so-on. this little trick will double your retention

Honestly, this approach just doesn't work for me. The only time I'll be doing reviews after questions is after NBMEs, just to simulate. There are people that did it this way and did well. It's really a matter of preference.

My Anki cards and qbanks are all on random and I review my weaknesses with BnB videos. I don't go by system.

Honestly, this approach just doesn't work for me. The only time I'll be doing reviews after questions is after NBMEs, just to simulate. There are people that did it this way and did well. It's really a matter of preference.

My Anki cards and qbanks are all on random and I review my weaknesses with BnB videos. I don't go by system.
If you dont go by system thats fine. Always hammer your weaknesses that should be your focus. But yeah whenever you take practice tests you should be simulating test day as much as possible. Also you shouldnt really be taking more than a baseline NBME at this point its a waste its way too early to be ripping those

Reactions: 1 user
If you dont go by system thats fine. Always hammer your weaknesses that should be your focus. But yeah whenever you take practice tests you should be simulating test day as much as possible. Also you shouldnt really be taking more than a baseline NBME at this point its a waste its way too early to be ripping those

Yeah, I still haven't taken an NBME yet. Still not 100% sure how I'm going to schedule all of the current ones and the new ones (coming out in March). I'm currently planning to do 20 first, then all the new ones, then 18 and 24 towards the end. If I get more time, I'll do as many of 21-23 as I can manage somewhere in between. Idk. My plans will probably change. They already have, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
do questions first thing in the morning bc thats when youll take step. Do reviews after. Also stagger the questions where youre not doing questions for the topic youre reviewing at the same time. What i mean by this is lets say youre covering renal with anki cards and content review (BnB pathoma vids anki etc) Week 1 and then Week 2 youre covering cardio and Week 3 GI you should be doing Renal questions during week 2 and cardio questions during week 3 and so-on. this little trick will double your retention

Thank you! Might have to try this out!

Do questions first. simulate test day. You wont be doing questions in the afternoon on test day youll be doing them first thing in the AM. I know its far out but the more you simulate the actual test day the better off youll be. Super important
Might try switching it up similar to this once I finish my school's curriculum in a couple of months.

Yeah, I still haven't taken an NBME yet. Still not 100% sure how I'm going to schedule all of the current ones and the new ones (coming out in March). I'm currently planning to do 20 first, then all the new ones, then 18 and 24 towards the end. If I get more time, I'll do as many of 21-23 as I can manage somewhere in between. Idk. My plans will probably change. They already have, lol

Yeah, I feel like my plans keep changing. Probably going to hold off anymore NBME's until March or so. I am running out of Q-bank material though, so I think I'm going to start U-World either this week or next week. I know it's early, but wouldn't mind really learning it well before dedicated. Not sure if that is a good approach or not haha.

Yeah, I feel like my plans keep changing. Probably going to hold off anymore NBME's until March or so. I am running out of Q-bank material though, so I think I'm going to start U-World either this week or next week. I know it's early, but wouldn't mind really learning it well before dedicated. Not sure if that is a good approach or not haha.

Yeah, it's extremely controversial, lol. I have seen too many extremely high scores with both approaches. So far, I've taken somewhat of a middling stance on it. I'll likely be starting 1-2 months before dedicated.

Thank you! Might have to try this out!

Might try switching it up similar to this once I finish my school's curriculum in a couple of months.

I am against doing UWorld before dedicated personally but that depends on how long your dedicated is. If you only have 4-6 weeks start UWorld earlier but if you are planning on an 7-8+ week dedicated i would do Amboss until then its second best to UWorld. Optimally you will want roughly 8+ weeks of doing 80 new Uworld questions per day with one day off per week. You want to have a lot of fresh UWorld questions for dedicated. Everyone is always in such a hurry to start UWorld early because they see everyone else starting UWorld early and they freak out, but "everyone else" statistically is getting a score in the low 230s which is the national average. There isn't one way to study for Step and i think @slowthai has a plan to hit 250s from what I have seen on the forums. The one thing that I can say for sure is the common denominator for high scorers is number of questions completed before test day. That for a fact contributes to high scores

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just curious, for the Anki users, do you like to do questions before or after your reviews? I've tried both ways, and funnily enough, I prefer to do them after. I find that when I do them before, my reviews go to crap, and that messes with my retention %. When I do them after my reviews, there's no negative effect on my performance. I also like the fact that I'm seeing all those cards right before the questions. It increases my likelihood of doing better on a block.
I normally hit qbanks 1st thing in the morning then do my reviews. Then I take a lunch break, start reviews and throw in a workout in between reviews to keep me energized.

The only caveat is I prefer to hit 40 question timed blocks the week before the nbme final. I don't usually hit questions at any other point throughout the block.

I've been lazy this break lol

just did my anki reviews and some new cards, but that's really it, gonna have to pound out 6000+ questions in 5-6 months lmao

Recently took step 1 and found a number of questions to be WTF type questions that I couldn't have gotten right even if I had months more to study. It was way harder than anything in the practice NBMEs and just wondering if anyone felt similarly.

Recently took step 1 and found a number of questions to be WTF type questions that I couldn't have gotten right even if I had months more to study. It was way harder than anything in the practice NBMEs and just wondering if anyone felt similarly.
Exact feelings! Thought i failed. Got a 254

I legit hear this all the time on reddit. What's done is done so try not to dwell on it bro. I'm sure you did fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, how many Anki reviews does everyone do a day? I've only started the zanki deck in the past few weeks and with 100 new cards a day, I have on average 500 total cards per day. That's with liberal usage of the easy button as well

Out of curiosity, how many Anki reviews does everyone do a day? I've only started the zanki deck in the past few weeks and with 100 new cards a day, I have on average 500 total cards per day. That's with liberal usage of the easy button as well

It just depends on a number of things: your settings, your retention, how consistent you are, etc

I'd recommend AnKing's settings if you aren't already using them. 90%+ retention will minimize your review count. Doing your reviews every single day will keep them as low as possible as well.

This kinda sucks. I swear they kept the old NBMEs online the last time they did this. We won't have anything to go off of as far as predictive-ness goes. I might take some of them early before they retire them. The good thing is that they'll finally have explanations. Never expected that.

Last edited:

This kinda sucks. I swear they kept the old NBMEs online the last time they did this. We won't have anything to go off of as far as predictive-ness goes. I might take some of them early before they retire them. The good thing is that they'll finally have explanations. Never expected that.

Damn, that's kind of annoying (if it's true). Happy to get some explanations but would love to keep exams with predictive value. Might do the same and try to take a couple of these early.

Anyone start around 50% correct when they began uworld? I've got ~6% of it done with that average.

What scores did you end up getting and did you see an upward trend in your uworld corrects? It feels like I hit a wall and keep getting around the same score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone start around 50% correct when they began uworld? I've got ~6% of it done with that average.

What scores did you end up getting and did you see an upward trend in your uworld corrects? It feels like I hit a wall and keep getting around the same score.
I started around 71% but i also completed all the Rx and Robbins questions beforehand so its gonna be inflated

I started around 71% but i also completed all the Rx and Robbins questions beforehand so its gonna be inflated
So when did you start the other q banks and what were your starting scores with those? I’ve done nothing but uworld so far. I’m pre-dedicated fourth semester.

So when did you start the other q banks and what were your starting scores with those? I’ve done nothing but uworld so far. I’m pre-dedicated fourth semester.
Rx I started in December 2019 and took step July 2020. I started around 68-71% but Rx is way easier and Robbins I was getting burned bigtime. Your scores will rise as you continue to study and do more questions

Rx I started in December 2019 and took step July 2020. I started around 68-71% but Rx is way easier and Robbins I was getting burned bigtime. Your scores will rise as you continue to study and do more questions
thanks for being straight up. I just noticed lots of people being cryptic about what they're getting if it's not super high.

put my scores into the reddit predictor and it estimated a 220.... then I looked at a prediction chart that's floating around and it put me near a 200.... so im confused as hell. Going for psych or IM

What are your thoughts on Robbins questions? I've done a decent amount along my curriculum but am thinking about stopping - felt they were a little different compared to NBME style Q's.

What are your thoughts on Robbins questions? I've done a decent amount along my curriculum but am thinking about stopping - felt they were a little different compared to NBME style Q's.
Useless as board-style questions, good if you just want more practice. I did them for in-class exams because it was our main textbook but they're not good for boards. They were good at really making you stretch your thinking lol.

Quick question. How much stock should I put into NBME 23 results as my baseline exam - (207-210)? UWorld percentages are in the mid 70s consistently and I'm about 1000 questions in (timed and random)

I haven't taken an NBME for a base line yet (COMLEX May 10th and USMLE May 17th) but I have done a Truelearn assessment assigned by our school. I want to take an NBME exam next week. Is there one that is considered better for a baseline? I was thinking to do one of the 18-24 NBME exams because those are being taken away. Is there one of those that is better than the rest for a baseline?

Quick question. How much stock should I put into NBME 23 results as my baseline exam - (207-210)? UWorld percentages are in the mid 70s consistently and I'm about 1000 questions in (timed and random)
reddit predictor puts you anywhere between 230 and 240's depending on your actual uworld average. I'd check that. Apparently it's pretty spot on.

reddit predictor puts you anywhere between 230 and 240's depending on your actual uworld average. I'd check that. Apparently it's pretty spot on.
Is that the 2019 predictor? My current UWorld average right now is 75%. I start dedicated next week. Should I take UWSA1 soon to get a better idea of my upper limit right now or wait a few weeks? I've read where some people take it early and some take it between 3-4 weeks out.

Is that the 2019 predictor? My current UWorld average right now is 75%. I start dedicated next week. Should I take UWSA1 soon to get a better idea of my upper limit right now or wait a few weeks? I've read where some people take it early and some take it between 3-4 weeks out.
it lists the years. each year has a different estimation, though they're all pretty much the same.

What's the best approach for using UWorld?
Currently, I'm doing blocks w/ all subjects, timed, and only 20 questions. Will probably up the 20 questions to 40 by the time we hit dedicated in a few months.

just started amboss and im getting wrecked

hopefully this pays off in a couple of months when I start uworld

What's the best approach for using UWorld?
Currently, I'm doing blocks w/ all subjects, timed, and only 20 questions. Will probably up the 20 questions to 40 by the time we hit dedicated in a few months.
Basically this. All subjects, timed, 40 questions once you get up to it. Not tutor mode.

What qbank would y’all recommend for just questions to do after content review. I used Rx during blocks and finished a first pass of Amboss as I finished 2nd year before dedicated. I’m using FA for review so does it make sense to just get another sub of Rx or should I go for Kaplan for new questions?

What qbank would y’all recommend for just questions to do after content review. I used Rx during blocks and finished a first pass of Amboss as I finished 2nd year before dedicated. I’m using FA for review so does it make sense to just get another sub of Rx or should I go for Kaplan for new questions?

I think diversifying your question banks would be better than redoing Rx at this point. Kaplan would work.

Do most people recommend doing Amboss systems wise or random? Should I be doing all 1-5 hammers or just 1-3? What % correct do most people get on it?

Do most people recommend doing Amboss systems wise or random? Should I be doing all 1-5 hammers or just 1-3? What % correct do most people get on it?
Amboss is very difficult (harder than UWorld imo). Do 1-4 hammer only as 5 hammers train overthinking imo. I used amboss only for my weak subjects but that was just how I did it. If youve already completed a qbank and amboss is your second bank or youre in dedicated rn and a few weeks out from your exam do random. if youre still learning material do tutor mode

• Love
I use both Amboss and USMLERx for practice (planning on finishing them before dedicated which I am saving UWORLD for). I go through Amboss and Rx slightly differently. For Rx, the questions are a lot straightforward so depending how I feel I will do X number of questions, from all systems/blocks already covered in school, and do it timed/non-tutor mode. For Amboss, I generally just go through each block one question at a time on tutor mode and take notes from there. I would do all of the Amboss questions, there aren't many 5 hammer questions, and a lot of the 4 hammer ones are really good that didn't trick you into overthinking the stem.

• Love
Currently working through UWorld, I am finding that there is a fair amount of information/factoids never mentioned in the Anking deck.

Do people think that it would be a good use of time to make an Anki deck for incorrect answers on UWorld?
How HY is the UWorld information for Step 1?

Currently working through UWorld, I am finding that there is a fair amount of information/factoids never mentioned in the Anking deck.

Do people think that it would be a good use of time to make an Anki deck for incorrect answers on UWorld?
How HY is the UWorld information for Step 1?
You will learn these through continuing to do the questions. Concepts are repeated multiple times and by the time you've done 10 questions hinting towards the same thing, you'll pick up on the nuances in a stem that point you towards one answer over the other. That's the beauty of UWorld.

I know many people who made a deck specifically for UWorld, but I personally didn't. I didn't feel the time would be that beneficial. What I did was keep a word document with factoids that I had gotten wrong, usually a few words to a sentence of me summarizing it myself. I re-read this a few times and read it again the day before my exam. I found it helpful, but like I said you will pick up on these things by doing questions and by the time you are done with UWorld it will become a lot easier to figure out the hints in the stems/little factoids that are purposely placed there to lead you to an answer.

You will learn these through continuing to do the questions. Concepts are repeated multiple times and by the time you've done 10 questions hinting towards the same thing, you'll pick up on the nuances in a stem that point you towards one answer over the other. That's the beauty of UWorld.

I know many people who made a deck specifically for UWorld, but I personally didn't. I didn't feel the time would be that beneficial. What I did was keep a word document with factoids that I had gotten wrong, usually a few words to a sentence of me summarizing it myself. I re-read this a few times and read it again the day before my exam. I found it helpful, but like I said you will pick up on these things by doing questions and by the time you are done with UWorld it will become a lot easier to figure out the hints in the stems/little factoids that are purposely placed there to lead you to an answer.

Awesome, thanks for the response. That's currently what I'm doing - writing down mistakes and reviewing them periodically. Will probably hold off on making Anki decks. Had a question pop-up on delayed hemolytic transfusion reaction and didn't recall it from Anking or lecture.

Started strong w/ UWorld in the low 80's but have slipped into the mid-to-high 70's range. I'm happy UWorld is exposing my weaknesses, but definitely want to be efficient in trying to learn.

Awesome, thanks for the response. That's currently what I'm doing - writing down mistakes and reviewing them periodically. Will probably hold off on making Anki decks. Had a question pop-up on delayed hemolytic transfusion reaction and didn't recall it from Anking or lecture.

Started strong w/ UWorld in the low 80's but have slipped into the mid-to-high 70's range. I'm happy UWorld is exposing my weaknesses, but definitely want to be efficient in trying to learn.
Seriously, that's an awesome place to be at this far out. You're going to crush it, 250+ wouldn't surprise me.

That reddit predictor is scary accurate. It put me right on the money for what I scored on my practice comlex and usmle.

That reddit predictor is scary accurate. It put me right on the money for what I scored on my practice comlex and usmle.
What shocks me is how accurate the UWorld qbank percentage prediction is compared to NBME scores. I’ve stayed in the mid 70s so far and my NBMEs so far have been consistently in the 240s which is what it predicts. It’s insane.

What shocks me is how accurate the UWorld qbank percentage prediction is compared to NBME scores. I’ve stayed in the mid 70s so far and my NBMEs so far have been consistently in the 240s which is what it predicts. It’s insane.
I wish I were there. I keep getting 30th percentile or around 220. Just gotta keep pushing. I would not be happy with that score come test day so I hope it improves. Just started to break 70% on my uworld blocks so I hope that becomes a new trend.