*~*~Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2023-2024~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please use this thread to ask any questions specific to the AACOMAS application for the 2023-2024 cycle.

Ask away and good luck!

Links to previous years threads -
2022-23
2021-22
2020-21
2019-20

Members don't see this ad.

The deadline I gave to my LOR writers is at the end of June, but I want to submit early June and I'm not sure how to submit the AACOMAS primary application for the evaluations section. Should I just choose the "I am Not Adding Any Evaluations" option, and then later there would be an option that I'm ready to submit the LOR with my secondaries?

The deadline I gave to my LOR writers is at the end of June, but I want to submit early June and I'm not sure how to submit the AACOMAS primary application for the evaluations section. Should I just choose the "I am Not Adding Any Evaluations" option, and then later there would be an option that I'm ready to submit the LOR with my secondaries?
I have moved your question to the main AACOMAS thread.

There is no need to submit in early June, especially since you profile as a strong DO candidate based on the WAMC thread you posted. Only a few schools will let you submit LORs through their secondary portal. I would not risk clicking the “I am not adding any” button.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay sounds good! thanks chilly_md

Hello, My AACOMAS application is completed and ready to be sent! I do not have any LORs received except for 1 and my MCAT is not in(testing 06/03).

My question is, should I go ahead and submit my apps? Or should I wait until I have more LORs received?

Thanks for the help y'all!

Hello, My AACOMAS application is completed and ready to be sent! I do not have any LORs received except for 1 and my MCAT is not in(testing 06/03).

My question is, should I go ahead and submit my apps? Or should I wait until I have more LORs received?

I have moved your question to the AACOMAS Question thread. This is on the front page of this section of the forum and can be a helpful resource for common questions that may pop up. Please take a look at Post #3.

I am in this same predicament, I have everything ready except two writers have not submitted to my interfolio. Does anyone know if I can submit the letters I do have ready from interfolio, then submit again once I have received the two I am missing?

I am in this same predicament, I have everything ready except two writers have not submitted to my interfolio. Does anyone know if I can submit the letters I do have ready from interfolio, then submit again once I have received the two I am missing?
You can deliver the letters twice from Interfolio. I just would not recommend submitting the actual AACOMAS app.

You can deliver the letters twice from Interfolio. I just would not recommend submitting the actual AACOMAS app.
Why is that? I thought the application doesn't require all the LORs or MCAT score to be submitted in order for it to be verified? A lot of schools also have their own LOR requirements in the secondary, so wouldn't it make sense to submit the primary with whatever you have, and send in the LORs/add more evaluators after verification?

Why is that? I thought the application doesn't require all the LORs or MCAT score to be submitted in order for it to be verified? A lot of schools also have their own LOR requirements in the secondary, so wouldn't it make sense to submit the primary with whatever you have, and send in the LORs/add more evaluators after verification?
With AMCAS it is fine. I wouldn’t advise on relying on the schools having it as part of their portal. There is no harm in waiting an extra month when the DO cycle runs later.

There is limited discussion or documentation for AACOMAS on whether you can add a fresh evaluation that isn’t already pending. This is about the extent that there is on their own site:

My official transcript does not specify specific courses for AP credits and lumps together the AP courses as transfer credits. I also can’t specify what the AP credits are on AACOMAS like I can on AMCAS. I have one prereq from ap (English). Anyone else deal with this issue and what’s the best way to approach this?

My official transcript does not specify specific courses for AP credits and lumps together the AP courses as transfer credits. I also can’t specify what the AP credits are on AACOMAS like I can on AMCAS. I have one prereq from ap (English). Anyone else deal with this issue and what’s the best way to approach this?
You could call the service and see if they can manually enter the names of the AP courses. I can't remember if mine showed up or not on the AACOMAS transcript.

You could call the service and see if they can manually enter the names of the AP courses. I can't remember if mine showed up or not on the AACOMAS transcript.
I was told to go exactly by what's on my transcript so I can't break down the credits myself. I spoke with my University and they said they can send a letter to each school I'm applying to stating what my AP credits are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told to go exactly by what's on my transcript so I can't break down the credits myself. I spoke with my University and they said they can send a letter to each school I'm applying to stating what my AP credits are.
Okay perfect! That's great news!

Reactions: 1 user
Is 505, 3.6 competitive enough for DO?
And if so, does anyone have a comprehensive stats list for all the schools?

Hey yall

I have 4 abstracts form my undergrade, one of which I presented. Sadly they never got published. I have one right now that's being reviewed for publication. But I was wondering, in the experiences or achievements section, should I list down these abstract even if they never got published nor did I give a presentation on most of them?

Thanks

I took a freshman seminar class back in freshman year that was supposed to just teach you about the school. What category would that fall under for AACOMAS?

I took a freshman seminar class back in freshman year that was supposed to just teach you about the school. What category would that fall under for AACOMAS?
I moved your question to the main AACOMAS thread.

Either education or special topics seems to make the most sense out of the options.

Does anyone know the timeline of when secondaries are usually sent out and interview invites? I am planning on submitting my application at the end of next week and my committee letter will be sent out in the middle of June.

Does anyone know the timeline of when secondaries are usually sent out and interview invites? I am planning on submitting my application at the end of next week and my committee letter will be sent out in the middle of June.
That timeline is fine. Secondaries usually come in during June. Interview invites likely can go out starting in late July or August, depending on the school.

Does anyone know how AACOMAS classified developmental math classes? Would I put them under “math” and would they count towards my overall gpa on their app?

Thanks!

Does anyone know how AACOMAS classified developmental math classes? Would I put them under “math” and would they count towards my overall gpa on their app?

Thanks!
They are math and will be calculated into your GPA.
However, if AACOMAS is like TMDSAS, they won't consider a developmental level class to be a rigorous enough math class to satisfy the math prerequisites. If you took more math or statistics classes after that, you should be good.

They are math and will be calculated into your GPA.
However, if AACOMAS is like TMDSAS, they won't consider a developmental level class to be a rigorous enough math class to satisfy the math prerequisites. If you took more math or statistics classes after that, you should be good.
Ah okay, that’s a bummer haha.

In TMDSAS, it say developmental courses won’t be included in your GPA calculation, so I was hoping aacomas/amcas were the same. I had multiple F’s from 10 years ago which tanks my gpa to below 3.0. In TMDSAS, they have me at a 3.5.

Would it be worth applying out of state DO or should I just try my best in texas?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Ah okay, that’s a bummer haha.

In TMDSAS, it say developmental courses won’t be included in your GPA calculation, so I was hoping aacomas/amcas were the same. I had multiple F’s from 10 years ago which tanks my gpa to below 3.0. In TMDSAS, they have me at a 3.5.

Would it be worth applying out of state DO or should I just try my best in texas?

Thanks a bunch for the help.
you can search the AACOMAS FAQ and see if they will leave off developmental level classes.

you can search the AACOMAS FAQ and see if they will leave off developmental level classes.
I couldn’t find anything in the FAQ. I emailed them and they responded with a part of their guide.

“Please note that all courses will be factored into the GPA. Non-graded credits are not included in your GPAs. Non-graded credits are earned credits for which you did not receive actual letter grades (e.g., advanced placement credits, "pass" or "satisfactory" credits, college board AP exams, courses taken as pass/fail, etc.). Note: a grade of WF (i.e., equivalent of a withdrawn with penalty, withdrawn failing, etc.) is factored into GPA calculations as an F.”

It seems like it will count unfortunately.

I submitted my AACOMAS application a couple weeks ago. Today I noticed that the hours for one of my experiences were probably off for a bit (I calculated it based off of weekly average hours worked but forgot to take off hours for the time I spent on a leave of absence as I studied for the MCAT) so my hours were a little inflated. I went back and changed it today since it's a current experience and can be edited. Will schools see that I updated this and will it look like a red flag that I changed my number of hours?

I submitted my AACOMAS application a couple weeks ago. Today I noticed that the hours for one of my experiences were probably off for a bit (I calculated it based off of weekly average hours worked but forgot to take off hours for the time I spent on a leave of absence as I studied for the MCAT) so my hours were a little inflated. I went back and changed it today since it's a current experience and can be edited. Will schools see that I updated this and will it look like a red flag that I changed my number of hours?
I am unsure. Before, you were unable to edit most information after submitting your app to programs. One poster the other year claimed their friend only submitted to a few schools and added more schools later on, and they were able to make changes in-between. It is not well-documented.

Since you've already went through with this, there is no use worrying about it now. Just push on ahead.

I would advise not making updates on hours going forward. School will download your app at different times and not go back to AACOMAS afterward. It would be better to have a consistent app and avoid potential issues.

I am unsure. Before, you were unable to edit most information after submitting your app to programs. One poster the other year claimed their friend only submitted to a few schools and added more schools later on, and they were able to make changes in-between. It is not well-documented.

Since you've already went through with this, there is no use worrying about it now. Just push on ahead.

I would advise not making updates on hours going forward. School will download your app at different times and not go back to AACOMAS afterward. It would be better to have a consistent app and avoid potential issues.
okay got it. do we know when the apps get transmitted to schools though? because if I’m updating it now and they don’t start being sent out to schools/schools don’t start reviewing for a few more weeks it shouldn’t be an issue right? I’m worried about the app being inconsistent and the issues that might cause now that you mention it.

For the record, this is the AACOMAS schedule. Schools can begin to access your application in early May.

I don't think it would look like a "red flag" this early in the game. They probably won't notice as they are mainly still trying to fill 2023 seats.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all! Happy memorial day weekend. Im reapplying for the 2nd time and I was wondering if reusing some of the same essays for my activities portion would negatively impact me? For background, my application was screened out by some schools for having a lower MCAT, but I retook it, so I wasn't sure if they even looked at my whole application the first time lol. I'm making some edits in my personal statement and some other more significant activities though. Thanks all!

okay got it. do we know when the apps get transmitted to schools though? because if I’m updating it now and they don’t start being sent out to schools/schools don’t start reviewing for a few more weeks it shouldn’t be an issue right? I’m worried about the app being inconsistent and the issues that might cause now that you mention it.
If you fixed whatever it is now for all the schools, just leave it be now. It shouldn't be a major issue.

Hello all! Happy memorial day weekend. Im reapplying for the 2nd time and I was wondering if reusing some of the same essays for my activities portion would negatively impact me? For background, my application was screened out by some schools for having a lower MCAT, but I retook it, so I wasn't sure if they even looked at my whole application the first time lol. I'm making some edits in my personal statement and some other more significant activities though. Thanks all!
I moved your question to the main AACOMAS thread.

This gets asked often. I suggest you rewrite as much as possible. You can reuse some that were rather simple (such as shadowing, list of awards, or hobby).

If I applied to both TMDSAS and AMCAS last cycle, am I a reapplicant for AACOMAS? ( I am solely applying using AACOMAS for the 23/24 cycle)
Meaning, would they know I applied to MD schools and would I have to rewrite my PS and activities?

If I applied to both TMDSAS and AMCAS last cycle, am I a reapplicant for AACOMAS? ( I am solely applying using AACOMAS for the 23/24 cycle)
Meaning, would they know I applied to MD schools and would I have to rewrite my PS and activities?
See how the question is worded. They might ask if you have previously applied to MD schools.
The good news is you’re not an AACOMAS reapplicant.
Look at your own essays with a critical eye and decide if you should rewrite. This sounds harsh but if they were not working for you last cycle, is there room for improvement?

See how the question is worded. They might ask if you have previously applied to MD schools.
The good news is you’re not an AACOMAS reapplicant.
Look at your own essays with a critical eye and decide if you should rewrite. This sounds harsh but if they were not working for you last cycle, is there room for improvement?
You're completely right. I will definitely revamp my essay, I don't think it would do me justice to copy-paste.
I think I could add and take out certain things after one more year of different work/life experiences.
I was just curious if I will be labeled as a "re-app" for AACOMAS.

would you put it as non healthcare volunteer/community enrichment or extracurricular activities ?

Hey everyone! Quick question here.

On the AACOMAS website, it states to self-report your MCAT score in the standardized test section of the application. However, it's not letting me do that. There is no option there. Anyone have any insight or clarification on this? Also if anyone knows how long it takes for AACOMAS application to receive your MCAT score from AAMC?

Hey everyone! Quick question here.

On the AACOMAS website, it states to self-report your MCAT score in the standardized test section of the application. However, it's not letting me do that. There is no option there. Anyone have any insight or clarification on this? Also if anyone knows how long it takes for AACOMAS application to receive your MCAT score from AAMC?
You have to manually login into the AAMC website and send the score to AACOMAS.

You have to manually login into the AAMC website and send the score to AACOMAS.
Right, I have done that! So I'm assuming you don't self-report your score though. Maybe they haven't updated the AACOMAS website.

Right, I have done that! So I'm assuming you don't self-report your score though. Maybe they haven't updated the AACOMAS website.
Yes they may have changed it so you do not do that anymore. These are the instructions they still have up for the process:

The official score should not take more than a week I believe to come over.

Hi everyone, I'm currently filling out the AACOMAS experience section and have a couple questions about the hours section. For experiences that are currently ongoing and I will continue until matriculation, should I be adding these projected hours to the hours per week/number of weeks section? Or should this strictly be what is already completed? I've looked through the AACOMAS guide and there isn't specific info about this like the AAMC guide.