Official ABIM 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Hope everyone is doing great with the start of this year;) How's everyone on their preparation for this monster exam?

Materials on hand:
1. Medstudy IM core books--first reading started already- at least 2 weeks each book as full time Hospitalist and family man..I hope I could finish and have 2nd reading before August 15 exam date
2. Medstudy Q&A- started per subject
3. MKSAP 2015--we'll start after Medstudy Q&A
4. Harrisons IM Q&A-did not start yet
5. BB2-we'll start 1 week prior to exam date

How about you guys/gals?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone seems to be busy either working or started reading any board review materials..

Is there anyone planning to do attend board review class? Awesome or medstudy live?

Hey Folks,
Hope everyone is doing great with the start of this year;) How's everyone on their preparation for this monster exam?

Materials on hand:
1. Medstudy IM core books--first reading started already- at least 2 weeks each book as full time Hospitalist and family man..I hope I could finish and have 2nd reading before August 15 exam date

How about you guys/gals?

My advice will be to do MKSAP 15 (and if you can get them MKSAP 16) questions first - twice if you have time. Then do Medstudy Qs if you still need more questions.

Also would advice to go over BB2 (I believe BB3 is now available) at least 2-3 times if not more - I would do that even at the expense of going over IM core book the 2nd time and would limit IM core review to reading the topics that you are frequently missing on the practice questions for your 2nd read.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone seems to be busy either working or started reading any board review materials..

Is there anyone planning to do attend board review class? Awesome or medstudy live?

You have plenty of time and if you keep up with your regimen, I do not think you need review course - but you know your situation the best.

My advice will be to do MKSAP 15 (and if you can get them MKSAP 16) questions first - twice if you have time. Then do Medstudy Qs if you still need more questions.

Also would advice to go over BB2 (I believe BB3 is now available) at least 2-3 times if not more - I would do that even at the expense of going over IM core book the 2nd time and would limit it to reading the topics that you are frequently missing on the practice questions for your 2nd read.

Good Luck!

This is good advise, Thanks.

Hey Folks,

Materials on hand:

How about you guys/gals?

I got those materials as well, but I'm doing Harrison's questions before the material and as I go through it. They are more challenging than and different than MKSAP. I am also reading BB3 as I do each topic. I plan on getting USMLE World questions later in the year.
I think I will do the exam on the last day. I haven't chosen a date yet, but will do this week. I guess I want to have as much time as possible...

I got those materials as well, but I'm doing Harrison's questions before the material and as I go through it. They are more challenging than and different than MKSAP. I am also reading BB3 as I do each topic. I plan on getting USMLE World questions later in the year.
I think I will do the exam on the last day. I haven't chosen a date yet, but will do this week. I guess I want to have as much time as possible...

The only thing that I would worry about that is that neither world Qs are anywhere near the format of actual test. The closest thing is MKSAP Qs Plus MKSAP Qs do have explanation for most part on why wrong answer is wrong. The other sources are great for content review but should be 2nd line. That's just my opinion. I am sure there is more than one way to skin a cat (please don't use a live cat :))
GL

Also would advice to go over BB2 (I believe BB3 is now available) at least 2-3 times if not more - I would do that even at the expense of going over IM core book the 2nd time and would limit IM core review to reading the topics that you are frequently missing on the practice questions for your 2nd read.

Thanks for the great advice...so it's better to do more questions after reading 1 time Medstudy core? Anyone can answer this..after reading the chapter on rheumatology do you go for Questions for rheumatology? When is the right time to do questions? As I'm reading system wise first...
Is Board basic 2 is still okay to read as I've read this already/before or get the new Boardbasic 3? Is reading BB books much better then start MKSAP & Medstudy questions?

The only thing that I would worry about that is that neither world Qs are anywhere near the format of actual test. The closest thing is MKSAP Qs Plus MKSAP Qs do have explanation for most part on why wrong answer is wrong. The other sources are great for content review but should be 2nd line. That's just my opinion. I am sure there is more than one way to skin a cat (please don't use a live cat :))
GL

I didn't use UWorld or MedStudy questions so I can't comment on how close they were to the real thing (although a lot of people seemed to think MedStudy was the best) but, IMHO, MKSAP Q's were only vaguely like the real thing and gave me a false sense of security.

YMMV of course.

The only advice I would give is to do as many questions as you can get your hands on and do them first. That will give you a good idea of your deficient areas (if you're not paying attention to your in-service scores) and you can go back and read those later. If you're scoring 80+% on a sub-topic, reading that area further will be extremely low yield on comparison to reading more on the areas you're scoring 50-60% on.

Thanks for the great advice...so it's better to do more questions after reading 1 time Medstudy core? Anyone can answer this..after reading the chapter on rheumatology do you go for Questions for rheumatology? When is the right time to do questions? As I'm reading system wise first...
Is Board basic 2 is still okay to read as I've read this already/before or get the new Boardbasic 3? Is reading BB books much better then start MKSAP & Medstudy questions?

I am trying to read system-wise first, but this week is one very busy for me so my itinerary may be too ambitious compared to the real time I can put into it. I will try to do questions, but I'm afraid I will not have gone over the material and will be doing questions without enough knowledge. I'm not sure if other test taker who passed did questions only. Of course you have to weigh in each person''s ability to answer MCQ tests and other factors. I would love to know about other people's opinion.

I am trying to read system-wise first, but this week is one very busy for me so my itinerary may be too ambitious compared to the real time I can put into it. I will try to do questions, but I'm afraid I will not have gone over the material and will be doing questions without enough knowledge. I'm not sure if other test taker who passed did questions only. Of course you have to weigh in each person''s ability to answer MCQ tests and other factors. I would love to know about other people's opinion.

If you finished an IM residency, you should already have the knowledge. The goal now is to figure out how to access it at the appropriate time and parse the ridiculous way in which questions are phrased (Pro Tip...they're phrased in such a way as to frighten and confuse you).

As with most of the standardized tests you've been subjected to at this point, the ABIM exam is only nominally a test of your knowledge. It's mostly a test of your test-taking ability.

i think the amount you need to study gets blown out of proportion sometimes. i did mksap questions once and i started a month before the actual exam during fellowship. passed just fine. if you went to a program that worked you hard, you'll find that you already know most things.

Last edited:
I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck on this year's mission. YOU CAN DO IT!
1. Get a study partner. Skype made it fun
2. Include some sort of video review to go with your questions
3. Go over the 2012 thread and grab lots of good advice there
4. Questions...duh

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

I know how you feel. Be careful though. This was what caused me to put off questions the first two times I took the boards (spread apart). I was never ready. I had never read what I wanted to read and it was hard to keep good motivation. At the same time you need to have some core refresher down so when you are doing the questions you are getting them right with confidence and not psyching yourself out.

My solution? I recommend a video board review...like Pass Machine or Med Study. This way, the review of the topic will usually be 2-3 hours. You can make it a rule to go through the video before you start the questions (worst being 2-3 hours...best being spread out, rewinding when necessary, taking breaks, double checking things, etc. So hopefully 4-6 hours). You should make the reading part an ideal thing to finish before questions but if you don't get to it, too bad...read while doing questions (spread the questions out 15-30 per day). There were so many times I could not keep up with the reading but I always kept up with my videos before questions. I caught up on my reading when I could.

IMO, you are better off keeping up with your partner for the 15-30 questions per day and if you have spare time catching up on your reading (the questions might even motivate you) than trying to do all the reading then trying to do 60+ questions per day. I found that a lot of the board questions were not directly from the questions but from things we had looked up while discussing the questions. We read all the answers and looked up whatever we were not confident about and sent each other links via skype. I remembered the conversations well.

I was annoyed a little when that guy said "First Aid" had everything and he scored super high. Not envious...I was happy for him but I just think to be fair, everyone should be aware of and have access to the same materials. It shouldn't come down to who used the best unknown source. That said, I would definitely look into "First Aid" since we all know it was helpful for Step 1.

Hi Thinker,
Thank you for your advices..plan to read topics first then questions... Do you thinks pass IM Videos and notes helped much?
Thanks

Hi Thinker,
Thank you for your advices..plan to read topics first then questions... Do you thinks pass IM Videos and notes helped much?
Thanks

I'm not sure if you are referring to "Pass Machine". I liked their videos and I always felt comfortable doing the MKSAP questions after watching the relevant video. That said, I can't put my finger on exact things to say the special secret is in the videos. I just enjoyed them and thought they were a good review of high yield medicine. The questions they had at the time were not well written but I know they were in the process of redoing them. If you have extra time and extra money (triple trust guarantee) then I definitely recommend it. You have nothing to lose. I don't feel comfortable recommending it IN PLACE of something else. If it doesn't work out for you then my head is on the line.

Do whatever works for you. If you are the type of person who can read quickly, keep pace and finish tasks, then reading first might be good. The best way to test this is to make a schedule. If you find you keep pushing back when you are supposed to do the questions, rethink what you are doing. It's better to get through the questions and do them multiple times. I did them all 2-3 times. On the second go around I used a modified review...but still went through the content.

If you insist of doing reading (rather than videos) first, I would suggest letting the completion factor be one source (eg. BB3, Med Study IM core, etc) rather than saying you want to complete reading all your sources before you begin. Remember, since you are not doing all the questions in one day (you shouldn't) you will have time to keep reading additional sources.

Most important, get a study partner. Hopefully the partner will keep you from BSing.

couple questions: what is 'bb2' or 'bb3'?

and which one is the best book?

Board Basics 2 or Board Basics 3. You find them t the ACP website where you buy the MKSAP books. You might be able to find them on ebay for less $. BB2 is the previous edition and BB3 has been released already.

Hi Bandido,
Is there a BIG difference content wise b/w BB3 and BB2? As I have used/ read BB2 before..
Thanks
Drdr

Is there anyone in this thread who is retaking the Boards - I FAILED 2012 and am desperate to pass.
I am planning my strategy and would appreciate inputs:
1. Medstudy Q bank
2. BB3
3. Plan to do a review course in June
4. UW - later months
5. Video Review- have not decided which one
6. MKSAP- I want to know if there is a big difference between 15 and 16- I have the 15 MKSAP- do you think i should get the MKSAP 16?
Plan to devote 2 weeks for each topic, maybe 3 weeks for Cards/General medicine and later 2 days for each topic.
Any suggestions, please ?

Plan to devote 2 weeks for each topic, maybe 3 weeks for Cards/General medicine and later 2 days for each topic.

I love this plan. I did that and it works well. Leave the last 4 days or so before the boards off. You may need to use it (I did) but it is a nice back up reserve space in case things fall off schedule. We had to keep modifying but honestly that is a great initial set up which leaves you room to modify. If you can, sneak a week off in the middle of the schedule too...so if things go wrong, you can use that week as a safety to catch up...and if things go well, you can take that week off (up to you).

Also, I was pleased with doing cards towards the end where it was still fresh rather than doing it early because it is important and knowing you got an important section out of the way (my partner and I debated this). I did well on cards. Fresh is better. Cards and ID towards the end FTW...and Derm (put towards end) doesn't really need 2 weeks but you can give it two weeks and then if something goes wrong (fall behind) and you need to redo, you can cut it to one week or something (or 4 days......or 4 hours LOL). Now, the danger of doing Cards towards the end is for those people who keep pushing things back...and not getting to it. So you need to make it protected time that on such day you will start cards no matter what...no excuses and if something else is not finished, too bad. I would say no more than 2 months before...so no earlier than June. That's just my opinion though.

Is there anyone in this thread who is retaking the Boards - I FAILED 2012 and am desperate to pass.
I am planning my strategy and would appreciate inputs:
1. Medstudy Q bank
2. BB3
3. Plan to do a review course in June
4. UW - later months
5. Video Review- have not decided which one
6. MKSAP- I want to know if there is a big difference between 15 and 16- I have the 15 MKSAP- do you think i should get the MKSAP 16?

Sounds good, however, which course in June? The one I can think of is ACP Board review and at least for me their review is not the best. In addition, it might be a little too late and you might end cramming things last minute and adding to your anxiety. If it is another review I do not have experience with them so I cannot tell. I tried Medstudy and it was a good review. I did not pass, but cannot blame it on the review. I should have put more emphasis on review questions. Again, that is just me and I am a repeat test taker, so maybe someone may have another opinion. Agree to have DEDICATED study time for cards and Gen Med.

Sounds good, however, which course in June? The one I can think of is ACP Board review and at least for me their review is not the best. In addition, it might be a little too late and you might end cramming things last minute and adding to your anxiety. If it is another review I do not have experience with them so I cannot tell. I tried Medstudy and it was a good review. I did not pass, but cannot blame it on the review. I should have put more emphasis on review questions. Again, that is just me and I am a repeat test taker, so maybe someone may have another opinion. Agree to have DEDICATED study time for cards and Gen Med.

the ACP one SUCKS....not helpful in the least...basically they rent out the ACP logo, but that is it...its basically the board review for whatever program is sponsoring it...

the cleveland clinic in the 1st week in June is really good...an mix of recert and 1st time, but geared towards info related to board questions (and they point out stuff that is more for knowledge and not geared for the board). Many of the presenters are question writers as well, so they give some insight in how questions are written.

the awesome review is very focused on the boards and nothing else...it is rapid fire to the point that at times it feels like the words are literally smacking you in the face...but it does help to boil things down to what is really needed for the test.

I love this plan. I did that and it works well. Leave the last 4 days or so before the boards off. You may need to use it (I did) but it is a nice back up reserve space in case things fall off schedule. We had to keep modifying but honestly that is a great initial set up which leaves you room to modify. If you can, sneak a week off in the middle of the schedule too...so if things go wrong, you can use that week as a safety to catch up...and if things go well, you can take that week off (up to you).

Also, I was pleased with doing cards towards the end where it was still fresh rather than doing it early because it is important and knowing you got an important section out of the way (my partner and I debated this). I did well on cards. Fresh is better. Cards and ID towards the end FTW...and Derm (put towards end) doesn't really need 2 weeks but you can give it two weeks and then if something goes wrong (fall behind) and you need to redo, you can cut it to one week or something (or 4 days......or 4 hours LOL). Now, the danger of doing Cards towards the end is for those people who keep pushing things back...and not getting to it. So you need to make it protected time that on such day you will start cards no matter what...no excuses and if something else is not finished, too bad. I would say no more than 2 months before...so no earlier than June. That's just my opinion though.

Thanks for the input-
I already have the MKSAP 15- do you think I ought to buy MKSAP 16 or just stick to the 15- is there a big difference?

Planning the Cleveland clinic review- any suggestions?

Thanks for the input-
I already have the MKSAP 15- do you think I ought to buy MKSAP 16 or just stick to the 15- is there a big difference?

That is a good question. I haven't bought MKSAP 16 yet so I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision.

I've thought about how I would approach it though. If it were me, if I had been studying MKSAP 15 all along for several years or had studied it last year in depth and failed, I probably would redo those and master them then use MKSAP 16 as a practice run from time to time...doing lots of questions in a row (like boards) rather than 1 at a time.

Meanwhile if I had not seriously put any time into MKSAP 15, I would just ditch them for the latest version...MKSAP 16 and make that my core.

In the ideal world, doing both would be right but I found doing 15 was a lot of questions. I can hardly imagine doubling it.

Whatever you do, use the disc that they give you or erase your online answers so you get to do it at least once from scratch.

Here are the key points I would make:
1. I think the key is the approach to the questions. If you check the 2012 ABIM thread, I outlined an approach that I found helpful. Each person is different.
2. Definitely endorse having a partner, taking turns reading the questions (odd and even). Read all the answers and look things up and share links before you go on. Use skype (no camera needed. We didn't use the cameras...just voice). It's free and it allows you to send links to each other.

One strategy you could do is plan to do MKSAP 16 with your partner and just do MKSAP 15 on your own as practice. That would work too. Yeah...I think I would do that.

I always think it's crazy those June courses. I would chose to do the courses previous year on video and start now so I can rewind and study at a slower pace. It's amazing how those courses cram 48-62 hours over 5 days or so. LOL I don't think much would stick with me. I'd rather do 2 hours a day over 30 days...but to each his own.

Now...if I had been doing the home course and had finished them and then did the June thing as a refresher to the home course, that would be good.

I wish you guys all the best of luck. I'm excited for you guys! This is your year. Studying can be fun. I encourage you to make it fun and be confident and know this year YOU WILL pass because you are doing things differently. I can't go through all my advice (read the 2012 thread) but here are some key points if you have failed before:

1. Definitely get a study partner. If you are lucky, you will get one who laughs (but is serious about commitment) and makes the experience fun. You just need to DECIDE to make it fun because it requires a lot of your time. You might as well laugh and enjoy the social aspect so your mind and feelings won't fight you when it is time to study. Think of it like getting together with your buddy to discuss football (or getting together with your lady friends to discuss XYZ). It's fun! The only difference is you are killing two birds with one stone by discussing something that helps you instead of useless stuff. We laughed at the beginning of every meeting "hey buddy". It convinces the mind that you are having fun. This helps a lot. Sharing patient stories (related to the topic) or small funny things is super helpful. It is a bit of luck finding a fun but serious minded partner but if you advertize that when you are searching, I think it helps you. Consider whatever needs you have while choosing. Once you commit it hard to back out. For example, I preferred someone who had failed before so I would feel comfortable and also so they know the seriousness of why we needed to buckle down. The person's availability is something to consider. Make sure your schedules can match.

So make sure you smile and laugh because it will take a lot of your time and your spouse should understand.

Use Skype (free) and send each other links as you look things up. Be honest with each other about things you don't understand.

2. Definitely make a study schedule! Make it! It is better to make it, achieve somewhat then have to redo it then to not have one at all. We redid ours several times because it feels good to be on pace to accomplish your goals. If you can avoid redoing it, do that ...but we are human. Don't go in expecting not to stick to it. You will notice, as time draws closer, there will be less opportunities to redo...but that's OK...and normal.

3. Approach the questions MKSAP in an appropriate way. Do them at least 2-3 times each. Once fully reading each answer thoroughly then the redos can be abbreviated.

4. Do some video review (MedStudy, Pass Machine, etc)

5. BB3 (I used 2 but 3 is available now)

6. Whatever resources are helpful to you. I'm going to tell you I would definitely check out that First Aid book since that one guy said everything was in there and he aced the exam. I didn't know about that.

Good Luck. There's so much advice but it's all in the 2012 thread!

Last edited:
i think the amount you need to study gets blown out of proportion sometimes. i did mksap questions once and i started a month before the actual exam during fellowship. passed just fine. if you went to a program that worked you hard, you'll find that you already know most things.
I really feel like this is true of every test beyond Step 1. (Step 1 you definitely need to study for.) I might just be talking out of my ass, but my impression is that the people who fail the board exams probably did not fail because they didn't study enough for it. They probably failed because they aren't good test takers, or they were immense slackers during residency. I mean, think about how many times you've walked out of one of these tests and thought to yourself, "I could have studied another three months for that test and it probably wouldn't have helped." And probably you end up passing anyway, but the fact remains: the studying makes you feel better but has rapidly and dramatically diminishing returns on your actual performance. I think.

Last edited:
You can do it! You will do it!

Laugh, have fun, study (don't kid yourself), get a video series (reading alone is boring), meet with your cool and fun study partner often. Use BB3 (when I heard about BB2, I got excited because I had never heard of that. It added confidence and I found it helpful for boards).

Don't get stressed about failing before. Instead laugh about how much more you know now!

HI ALL

I need advice. Anybody used Pass Machine videos and found it helpful?
My plan so far:
-Med Study Core books with Q&A
-Pass Machine Videos
-MKSAP Questions 14, 15, and 16
-Awesome Review books from 2012 (to be reviewed during July/Aug)

I was thinking Pass Machine Videos throughout Feb/March and the Med Study Books from April to July
then July/Aug do questions and awesome review

any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I am deciding between Med Study videos vs. Pass Machine

I wanted to do Awesome Review course but I find that I don't do well sitting in a classroom being rushed through topics.

email me [email protected]

Why would you do that? Pick one and run with it. If you want more questions, get UWorld or MedStudy. The MKSAP questions aren't great examples of the way the exam is written anyway. Don't waste your time on 3 of them (at least one of which is seriously out of date).

you're right gutonc

will just stick with MKSAP 15/16 then. 14 may be outdated.
I figured ABIM 2013 will be more consistent with the guidelines from MKSAP 15.
MKSAP 16 may be too new. Any thoughts on this?

you're right gutonc

will just stick with MKSAP 15/16 then. 14 may be outdated.
I figured ABIM 2013 will be more consistent with the guidelines from MKSAP 15.
MKSAP 16 may be too new. Any thoughts on this?

It probably doesn't matter although nobody can say for sure. MKSAP 15 is only 2 years old....the exams tend to run 2-3 years behind current literature (with some exceptions).

I really feel like this is true of every test beyond Step 1. (Step 1 you definitely need to study for.) I might just be talking out of my ass, but my impression is that the people who fail the board exams probably did not fail because they didn't study enough for it. They probably failed because they aren't good test takers, or they were immense slackers during residency. I mean, think about how many times you've walked out of one of these tests and thought to yourself, "I could have studied another three months for that test and it probably wouldn't have helped." And probably you end up passing anyway, but the fact remains: the studying makes you feel better but has rapidly and dramatically diminishing returns on your actual performance. I think.

Meh...I think studying helps. It is definitely not overrated. Assuming you can just go in without the studying foundation because you are smart and a good doctor will screw you up. It would be fine if nobody studied and we all just went in then I'm sure they would change the passing criteria ...but since everyone else is studying and the passing has been set to a mark...you do disservice to yourself to not study or to downgrade to importance of studying.

HI ALL

I need advice. Anybody used Pass Machine videos and found it helpful?
My plan so far:
-Med Study Core books with Q&A
-Pass Machine Videos
-Awesome Review books from 2012 (to be reviewed during July/Aug)

I was thinking Pass Machine Videos throughout Feb/March and the Med Study Books from April to July
then July/Aug do questions and awesome review

any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I am deciding between Med Study videos vs. Pass Machine

I wanted to do Awesome Review course but I find that I don't do well sitting in a classroom being rushed through topics.

email me [email protected]

I did enjoy the Pass Machine Videos but deciding between those and MedStudy videos would be tough. I was just in a daring mood and had tried MedStudy years ago. I needed some psychological thing to say I was doing something different.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Make a schedule to see if you can keep with your plan. If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with MKSAP 14. Doing one set thoroughly is tough enough. Doing 2 sets would be challenging...3 sets? No way.

Repetition is important rather than spreading yourself thin.

Don';t wait until July to start doing questions. You should do whatever set you do 2-3 times. Do them as you go through topics.

Good luck

thanks for the reply. Pass Machine looks pretty cool. I did a sample of the Med Study ones and it just seemed so dull.

I've been doing MKSAP 15 questions since last year and continue to do them as my residency program has monthly exams too so we use those to study. I wish there was this ONE great qbank that was more representative of the ABIM.

Thanks for the advice eryone :)

thanks for the reply. Pass Machine looks pretty cool. I did a sample of the Med Study ones and it just seemed so dull.

I've been doing MKSAP 15 questions since last year and continue to do them as my residency program has monthly exams too so we use those to study. I wish there was this ONE great qbank that was more representative of the ABIM.

Thanks for the advice eryone :)

I can say I enjoyed the Pass Machine videos. It was part of what helped me. It made reviewing fun. People want this magic pill though and I'm not willing to vouch for any magic pills.

The more I think of it, this is just crazy. You need to study. Now it's possible your residency program had an awesome board review course and their noon conference was geared towards board review rather than just practical clinical knowledge but somehow, some BOARD studying needs to occur. This is a major exam. If you gave this exam to practicing physicians who had not specifically studied, most would fail.

Posted this in the 2012 thread as well

For the current 3rd years taking it....MKSAP is WAY too easy since they make their Qs so long that you are able to rule all the wrong choices pretty easily.
Actual exam had MANY 2-3 line Qs that didn't allow for narrowing of the choices.
While we are usually encouraged to read the whole Q before answering, I would actually prepare for this the opposite way i.e. Try to answer the MKSAP Q after reading as little of it as possible since that is a truer depiction of the ABIM
MedStudy course material & videos were good but Qs were not
Kaplan Q book is WAY WAY overkill and should be used for learning rather than preparing
USMLE World Qs were so-so but relatively cheap @ $100 so might as well do them

Good Luck

Posted this in the 2012 thread as well

Actual exam had MANY 2-3 line Qs that didn't allow for narrowing of the choices....

Good Luck

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I absolutely LOVED the short ones. They allowed me to use a strategy where I could bank the extra time to spend on some of the longer ones. For someone who doesn't like keeping pace with exams, they made it so I felt comfortable and didn't feel like time was an issue. This makes a difference ...to be calmly ahead of schedule and free to think without being stressed about timing.

One glass half empty way of looking at it is that you don't have clues to rule out the wrong answers but I feel like whatever they are usually looking for requires some certain knowledge and a skill set anyway and rather than BS you with all this talking and distractions, they are asking you directly what they want to see if you know.

So yes, I agree with some questions you can use clues to rule out some wrong answers but I prefer to answer based on knowing...and hope process of elimination is a last resort. Meanwhile, I feel that there are other long questions where process of elimination doesn't help so much and you either know what they want you to know to answer it or you don't and all the other stuff in the question is just BS so they can say it is clinically based. So the short answers are a step up from those because it is just being honest.

I am a 50 y/o doc Board certified in IM, pulm and CC. This past summer, I past my 2nd IM Board REcert; it was a nightmare. You all have no idea how much pain is coming your way from MOC (Maintenance of Certification). Please read the letter below, which I have posted on a number of relevant websites. Unless you new docs help us established docs eliminate or reform MOC, we will all be slaves to it for our entire professional lives.

Dear Colleagues,
The battle between full time clinicians and non, or minimally practicing bureaucrats, who want to over-regulate us for their own financial gain is coming to a head. While this battle has several fronts, one that has caught the attention of myself, as well as many others, is Maintenance of Certification (MOC). Like our legal counterparts, who need to pass the Bar to practice law, we get certified upon completing our training and passing our board exams. Unlike our legal counterparts, however, once they pass the Bar, other than completing yearly continuing legal education requirements (CLE), no further formal test taking is ever asked of them in order to remain Barred for life. Yet there is a growing movement of nonphysician/nonclinicians who want practicing clinicians to do just that - go through an ever more complex process of recertification, a process that is time-consuming, costly and onerous. Furthermore, there is no credible scientific evidence showing that completing the MOC process results in better or more efficient patient care, as compared to any other form of self-directed ongoing continued medical education (CME). Other than the obvious financial benefits to our Boards, this unvalidated recertification occurs merely to satisfy administrators, insurance companies, politicians and the lay public that we are still "Board Certified".
Currently, this process includes, or will soon include the following:
1) valueless time-consuming busy-work Practice Improvement Module (PIMs).
2) the ludicrous patient and peer reviews.
3) a secure exam whose content is largely obscure and irrelevant to what we do on a daily basis, and whose secure nature is so insulting that we cannot even have a handkerchief in our back pockets or wear a watch during the exam.
4) open book home test modules, much of whose content is irrelevant to what we do on a daily basis.
5) ongoing efforts to link MOC to Maintenance of Licensure (MOL), thereby removing any illusion as to the "voluntary" nature of MOC, and with the likely consequence of having to complete even more MOC requirements even more frequently, possibly as often as every two years, the same interval as licensure. This linkage will also circumvent grandfathering that protects a large portion of practicing doctors from needing to go through MOC to remain certified. There are currently eleven proposed pilot programs in eleven states aiming to link MOC to MOL. The twelfth program, in Ohio, was defeated by organized physician resistance. Additionally, there are some members of the test creating industry pushing for no longer accepting a subspecialty certification without also having an updated recertification in the parent specialty. So a cardiologist or endocrinologist who has chosen not to recertify their IM certificate because they only practice their specialty may find that their specialty certificate, even updated with recertification, is not recognized unless the parent specialty, in this case, internal medicine, is also updated with recertification, that is, MOC.
The cost for test fees, as well as the cost of being away from work to prepare for and take these tests, not to mention time away from family is substantial. Many of our specialty boards, supposedly nonprofit, have each accumulated tens of millions of dollars from the process of creating and administering MOC and some board members earn outrageous salaries. For example, the President and CEO of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), Dr. Christine Cassel, reported compensation in 2009 in excess of $600,000 and Dr. James Stockman III, the CEO of the American Board of Pediatrics reported compensation of over $1.2 million in 2009, far more than any clinician I know.
Many hypocritical non-clinician board members, despite declaring the value of MOC and promoting task forces that would require all of us to take MOC, have themselves never recertified for decades after getting their original certification. Some are only now recertifying, not to be better doctors, but as a requirement to maintain well paid positions on their various boards. Despite the overwhelming lack of credible research proving that being certified improves the quality of care given to patients by doctors as compared to non-recertified, or even never-certified doctors, the ABIM and other specialty boards are aggressively pushing their MOC agenda on politicians, insurance companies and the public at large. The ABIM MOC is promoted as some sort of holy grail of perfect medical care and such efforts may create an environment whereby it may become economically unfeasible for any doctor not to participate in MOC, unless we take a stand now.
Options for putting a stop to MOC include the following:
1) Legal action: This continues to be looked at and those of us actively involved in fighting this abuse against doctors have already heard from many legal colleagues about options to pursue as they agree that the MOC process is outrageous and something lawyers would never tolerate.
2) Political action: Lobby elected officials as well as pressure your various local and state medical societies into recognizing the false and costly presumptions on which MOC is based and using political influence to stop MOC, or reform it into something that is cost and time reasonable and of proven value to improving patient care.
3) Empower already existing medical organizations, like Docs 4 Patient Care or the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, run by clinicians, rather than bureaucrats, to create more reasonable alternative MOC-like programs.
4) Mass MOC noncompliance. Bold and elegant in its simplicity, if enough practicing physicians simply refused to participate in MOC, the MOC system would collapse.
Let me be clear, this is not about shirking a lifelong commitment to ongoing medical education and the need to maintain one's skills and stay up to date with the latest medical knowledge, things we all believe in and do already. This is specifically about preventing the highly flawed MOC process in its current format from becoming mandatory in any legal, financial, regulatory or other way.
Below are a series of links to a variety of organizations comprised of front-line clinicians such as yourselves. I strongly suggest you take a look at them. You will find yourself able to interact with colleagues nation-wide whose beliefs and concerns mirror yours. See what they are saying and add your voice to the conversation. The internet, via social media, is facilitating revolutions and upheavals around the world; surely we doctors in this country can use it to put a stop to an unfair and burdensome process.
Change Board Certification: http://www.changeboardrecert.com/index.php
Docs 4 Patient Care: http://docs4patientcare.org/index
Association of American Physicians and Surgeons: http://www.aapsonline.org
Independent Physicians for Patient Independence IP4PI: http://ip4pi.wordpress.com
Sermo: http://www.sermo.com
This link: http://www.jpands.org/vol17no4/kempen.pdf will take you to a superb detailed summary article written by Dr. Paul Kempen, who is on the forefront of exposing the sham of MOC and whose efforts have helped defeat state efforts in Ohio to link MOC to MOL; it is a must read. These two links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6OWbiVykQ&feature=youtu.be and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRS15Dmsk7E will allow you to view the youtube videos of Drs. Ron Benbassat and Paul Kempen, leaders on the issue of MOC and its flaws.
Despite the proposed pilot programs mentioned above, MOC has not yet been linked to MOL, something that would be a huge blow to all of us. Some of you may be in situations where hospital privileges, via bylaws or similar local regulations, have been linked to MOC and you may feel the game is already over and have resigned yourself to your fate. While it is true that undoing such a situation can be harder that preventing it in the first place, such reversal is not impossible. If a small group of dedicated physicians were able to organize the effort to prevent linkage between MOC and MOL in Ohio, there is no reason why similar efforts cannot be undertaken to both prevent such a linkage in every state and to reverse already existing linkage between MOC and hospital staff privileges.
It comes down to this. If you are looking forward to having you and your staff spend ever greater amounts of precious time and money helping you fulfill the burgeoning requirements of MOC, then do what doctors have always done, which is comply and do what we are are told. If, however, you are tired of once again getting the short end of the stick, then now is the time to speak up and take a stand.
Once you are better informed on this matter, via the links mentioned above, there are things that you can and should do to prevent becoming a slave to MOC; consider the following suggestions:
1) Write to your senators, congressmen, governors, etc, expressing your concerns.
2) Lean on your various state and national medical societies, medical boards, etc, who are supposed to represent your interests by speaking out against MOC and consider establishing resolutions stating that MOC should remain strictly voluntary and not be linked to hospital privileges, MOL or reimbursement by Medicare or any other payor. Specific organizations include the American Board of American Specialties (ABMS) and its member boards, like the ABIM, etc, the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists (BOS). Some of the websites above, such as the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, will provide you with access to sample letters that you can use to send to these various organizations. For New York, requests for a resolution against making MOC mandatory can be sent to Michelle Nuzzi at the Executive Headquarters of MSSNY at [email protected]. Here are two links to “model” resolutions regarding MOC and MOL for you to use; please feel free to fill in the blanks and use these resolutions for your own county medical society to submit to the MSSNY House of Delegates if you deem appropriate.
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/30a325...Resolution_Opposing_MOC_model_resolution.docx
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/30a325...Resolution_Opposing_MOL_model_resolution.docx
3) The ½ percent PQRS bonus that Medicare is to pay MOC participating docs, which does not come close to compensating an individual doctor for the cost of participating in MOC, but which does cost society and the government millions of dollars collectively, is in reality a "false claim". There is no scientific evidence to prove that MOC docs are better than non MOC docs or never certified docs, and so, like any false Medicare claim, the scam of MOC can and should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Inspector General (OIG).
4) Discuss this with lay people, educate them and encourage them to reach out to politicians and be supportive.
5) Submit letters and articles regarding this to both medical journals and the lay press.
6) Spread the word. There is strength in numbers. Share this with every like minded colleague you know, not just locally, but nation-wide, people you went to med school with or knew from your residency or fellowship programs, etc. Share this with every medical professional you can via various medical staff email lists, personal contacts, etc; we need numbers to win this battle!
7) If anyone is interested in getting involved at an even higher level, perhaps by taking on a leadership or organizational role, attending state and perhaps national meetings, etc, go to the "Physician Comments" link on Change Board Recertification (www.changeboardrecert.com) and leave a message indicating your interest.
The effort to organize against MOC, through direct contact or through the organizations mentioned above, already enjoys the support of thousands of health care providers; with your help, we are looking to make that tens of thousands.
Thanks and regards,
Jonathan Weiss, MD

Actual exam had MANY 2-3 line Qs that didn't allow for narrowing of the choices.

Here is my impression:

Long Question

Little miss muffett, sat on her tuffett, eating her curds and whey. Along came a spider, sat down beside her...blah blah. Miss Muffet's height 4'10''. Spider was black with 8 legs.

Question. The spider did glance into Miss muffet's bowl. Could he have seen at a molecular level what vitamins were available, which is the most likely thing he would see?

Vit A
Vit E
Vit D
Vit K

Short question:
Which vitamin is most likely to be found in high quantities in dairy products?

Vit A
Vit E
Vit D
Vit K

Ha Ha...LOL

Last edited:
Ha Ha...I couldn't remember what happened to miss Muffett so i just looked it up and it was so anticlimactic!

And frightened Miss Muffet away.

That's it after the spider sits beside her!

Why would you do that? Pick one and run with it. If you want more questions, get UWorld or MedStudy. The MKSAP questions aren't great examples of the way the exam is written anyway. Don't waste your time on 3 of them (at least one of which is seriously out of date).

I agree - I would stick to MKSAP 15, as I have already used it for preparing for ABIM 2012 ( though failed! ) .
I am wondering which "question bank" most closely resembles the ABIM exams, so that I can keep a Check on my progress of preparation. Any suggestion?

How can one access Pass machine IM videos once you registered/ paid fir it? Are they gonna send access code?

Status
Not open for further replies.