tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Hey, med-peds people.

Thought it would be interesting to have a med-peds thread about PHM hospitalist fellowship and how it affects med-peds. Well, maybe fun isn't the right word, particularly since I'm a huge opponent of the fellowship.

Granted, I'll only be doing adult hospitalist, but I think this fellowship erodes a lot of the greatness of med-peds - namely, the ability to do adult and pediatric hospitalist simultaneously in an academic center without additional training. As an added middle finger, there's no "discount" for the fellowship for med-peds despite an extra year of training.

Now that I've strayed away from peds, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm still pretty annoyed about it.

togaedere

7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2010
Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have only ever wanted to do outpatient combined and I am annoyed about it. But I generally am annoyed by most things the ABP does.

blue.jay

5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
4 yrs of residency plus 2 years of PHM to earn 200k? I hope no MP grad every says they are so passionate to suck academic balls. Every other 6 yr GME (adult cards, GI, crit, surgical specialities, radiology) speciality earns more than 400k. They will still hire NP/PA with 1/10th of that training and pay then 70% of your paltry salary. That's an insult. Every MP grad should show their middle finger to ABP.

About the Ads

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I have only ever wanted to do outpatient combined and I am annoyed about it. But I generally am annoyed by most things the ABP does.
No worries. If they can **** over the people who want to do inpatient, I'm sure they can find a way to **** you over too!

andrek82

7+ Year Member
May 11, 2012
New York
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Glad I'm not the only one irritated about all of this... The academic movement of peds in conjunction with the relaxation of practice rights of midlevels is mindboggling - pick a side, amiright?

I love taking care of kids and will be doing a combined fellowship, so clearly no med peds regrets, but the beaurocracy is mid boggling.

In view of "how can they hurt you more," I'll leave you with this: Academic General Pediatrics Fellowship | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

About the Ads