Official Albany Med Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ma-bas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's do this thing already...

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else holding off until late July/ early August to find a place? I am a little worried that all the good apts will be taken, however I would like to have the opportunity to meet some other people and look at possible apartments. I remember someone saying in the past Albany thread that they were going get something within the next couple weeks. Has anyone already signed a lease? Any other people looking for a roomate. I'm a pretty chill UC Berkeley guy looking for similar roomates who like to party on the weekends and take a couple trips to NYC during the school year. PM me if you are also looking for a roomate and are also pretty laid back. I am specifically looking for someone else who is a first year. Oh and congrats to all that will be attending Albany. I know a couple people who go there and they really like it! Being near the Catskill Mountains will provide many opportunities for hiking in the summer/fall and skiiing/snowboarding in the winter.

Hey Yall,
First off congrats to all AMC'ers 2009!

So here is the latest from what I've heard(some of this you've seen before);

-Orientation starts Aug 24, classes Aug 29
-Orientation coordinators have been hired(yes!) but haven't begun work, so we won't know exactly what will happen for a while.
-Intranet info is from last year but I'm sure it will mirror what we will be doing(no parents at White Coat Ceremony...what?)
-send in your transcripts! (to the office of admissions)
-get your shots-we'll be sent the immmunization forms soon

As far as housing I'm heading out there(I'm from SF) probably in early or mid-june to find a place. Craigslist has some listings, but who knows if they'll still be available? I look forward to meeting you all!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone-

Great idea to start this thread! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

I'm from Boston (home of the WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX) so I won't be going too far, but definitely excited to start.

AOne, thanks for passing along that information! Let's keep this thread going...

Calizona said:
Is anyone else holding off until late July/ early August to find a place? I am a little worried that all the good apts will be taken, however I would like to have the opportunity to meet some other people and look at possible apartments. I remember someone saying in the past Albany thread that they were going get something within the next couple weeks. Has anyone already signed a lease? Any other people looking for a roomate. I'm a pretty chill UC Berkeley guy looking for similar roomates who like to party on the weekends and take a couple trips to NYC during the school year. PM me if you are also looking for a roomate and are also pretty laid back. I am specifically looking for someone else who is a first year. Oh and congrats to all that will be attending Albany. I know a couple people who go there and they really like it! Being near the Catskill Mountains will provide many opportunities for hiking in the summer/fall and skiiing/snowboarding in the winter.

So I too am waiting until July to find somewhere to live. I think that we'll still be able to find somewhere, from what I've heard. I live in Seattle right now and am looking forward to a new place (I've lived on the West coast my whole life, first in Cali, now Seattle.) Anyone else a bit concerned about, what I like to call, a lack of "city life" in Albany? I know other cities are close, and I'll be doing mostly studying, but I think that the area, other than the great surrounding outdoors, is a bit dry? Thoughts anyone? I'm excited to meet everyone! Congratulations on starting med school!

PS. Oh yeah, the dates that I got for orientation were the 25th through the 27th and the first day of school is the 29th, is that right? (there were other dates listed above.)

Hey everyone. Congrats on all of your acceptances -- did any1 happen to interview in late march that I may already b familiar with? If not, I look forward to meeting u all in august. So what is with the no parents at the white coat ceremony? Are all guests banned? I will b extremely dissapointed if that is the case and cannot imagine y they would pose such a useless stipulation on such an important event. Other than that Im thrilled to be goin to AMC and start classes. I am goin up this weekend to look for places to live. I'll post my findings here(what looks good, what to stay away from). I hope to know exactly where ill b living by the time i get back. Also do any of u know how financial aid works? i really didnt use it for undergrad. How do we get $ that is supposed to go toward housing and other things-- do we have to wait till fall for the post-tuition refund?

tchantel21 said:
Hey everyone. Congrats on all of your acceptances -- did any1 happen to interview in late march that I may already b familiar with? If not, I look forward to meeting u all in august. So what is with the no parents at the white coat ceremony? Are all guests banned? I will b extremely dissapointed if that is the case and cannot imagine y they would pose such a useless stipulation on such an important event. Other than that Im thrilled to be goin to AMC and start classes. I am goin up this weekend to look for places to live. I'll post my findings here(what looks good, what to stay away from). I hope to know exactly where ill b living by the time i get back. Also do any of u know how financial aid works? i really didnt use it for undergrad. How do we get $ that is supposed to go toward housing and other things-- do we have to wait till fall for the post-tuition refund?

In case anyone's still waiting, I got my financial aid package in the mail today :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Still grateful for the acceptance though :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

To answer tchantel's question- I had to take out living expense loans to do a graduate program, and the outside loan people give the funds to the college, which gives it to you a few weeks after classes start. It might be different because it's a different institution, or now that its MED SCHOOL (woo hoo!) so maybe we have more priority or something.

Nice to meet everyone!

I have already started looking online and got the housing listings from the Student Affairs office, which weren't too helpful. I am hoping for something that I can move into in July or Aug. Seeing my financial aid award leads me to the decision that I probably can't afford living alone. Ideally I would like to live with one other person, preferably female. It would nice to just find someone who already has a place, but if someone is interested in living with me, I could do the legwork since I am only about 3 hours from Albany. I think I mentioned this before but I plan on being away most weekends, so that might be an ideal situation for the person who wants more privacy.

tchantal - I think they said the reason families can't come to the white coat ceremony is b/c all med students in the school are there and they can't fit anyone else. Didn't quite make sense to me either.

I am getting excited. My motivation at work is plummetting. August is going to be here before we know it.

yeah I spoke to them today and they said we could expect more mail to come out in early june and in july when the 2 coordinators (1st years who help us through the orientation process) get in touch with us. I hear u on the work motivation thing mabas. I actually recently decided to tell the job I just got a month ago that I am cuttin down to working once or twice a week. I don't feel like this is any way to spend my last days before the onslaught of endless academic rigor that medschool will bring.

casmuppet22 said:
So I too am waiting until July to find somewhere to live. I think that we'll still be able to find somewhere, from what I've heard. I live in Seattle right now and am looking forward to a new place (I've lived on the West coast my whole life, first in Cali, now Seattle.) Anyone else a bit concerned about, what I like to call, a lack of "city life" in Albany? I know other cities are close, and I'll be doing mostly studying, but I think that the area, other than the great surrounding outdoors, is a bit dry? Thoughts anyone? I'm excited to meet everyone! Congratulations on starting med school!

PS. Oh yeah, the dates that I got for orientation were the 25th through the 27th and the first day of school is the 29th, is that right? (there were other dates listed above.)

Called again, talked to emily otto in the student affairs office and she reports that we do start orientation on the 24th and classes on the 29th, i believe the 25th date was from the 2004 orientation faq pdf file from the intranet...

Financial Aid- so i got my award letter the other day and just talked to their office;
-we have to get all our paper work to them (including the return of the award letter) "at least a month before registration"(registration=orientation?)
-IF all paperwork is in and processed in the appropriate time frame then the office will receive our financial aid moneys by the registration date.
-IF the aid office gets the money by the registration date then we will receive our refund checks within 2-3 weeks of the office receiving our money

Bottom line- Don't count on any financial aid helping your move/travel expenses or any furniture buying!

So as far as the lack of city life issue goes, I think Albany will be GREAT for us...dry yes but but barren no. I've talked to a couple of students that have said there is more than enough to satisfy most people's need to unwind. Perhaps if you were a rock star before coming to albany you might go nuts, but I clearly don't need the rock star lifestyle, at least anymore :)

Hi all,

After an interesting and intense search I finally found a place. It's a 2-bedroom apartment 2 walking blocks from campus. There is plenty of lighting and hardwood floors. Rent is $388 per person, which includes heat and hot water. You can expect an additional $12 per person for electricity. There is off-street parking, personal garages, and on-site laundry. I found a couple of other apartments that were a few dollars cheaper but this was the nicest by far.

I'm looking for a roommate who is a non-smoker, clean, and fairly laid back. I would prefer a female roommate but am open to the other possibility. Also, the building is supposed to be pet-free. I have already secured the apartment for an August 1st move-in date. If you are interested, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Thanks,
:)

Add me to the list, I will most likely be at Albany in the Fall (waiting to see if a school closer to home will take me off their waitlist). Got accepted January and I just saw this thread. :)

sherbert said:
After an interesting and intense search I finally found a place.

Can I ask how long it took you to find a place? I'm planning on coming to Albany early August to find a place and I want to know how much time I should give myself.

Also, where did you look for places... and so on.

Also, I just want to add that I went to a physician's office today (highly respected dermatologist in Los Angeles) who went to Albany. We had a short talk about the school and he mentioned how great the clinical experience was and what a great school it is. Mentioned some other physicians who went and one is now the head of ______ (I forgot, sorry :p ) at UCLA and many more. As far as social life goes he said that Albany has got a bunch of bars and a huge student population. He mentioned how there were so many colleges in the area (so we med students won't be alone).

Congrats everyone. I am excited to be going to Albany, after the freaking process of applying. I can wait to meet all my fellow classmates. Overall I hear Albany is a great school and a small city, yet with many students and enough things to do.

Why are not more people posting on this thread? There was some posts middle of last month and then recently.

Well I am just getting in my paperwork for fin aid, and am planning on going to find a place to live, in early July. I am going to go for a week, but I dont know what will be a good amount of time to go for? I was also thinking of possibly buying a place, since it is much cheaper than california. I can maybe pay the mortage with my rent. Get a loan to fill a loan, I like that idea :laugh: But it might not be worth it because rent is pretty cheap. I just wanted to know if buying a place would be a good idea? If some upper classmen can advise me if I should buy I would appreciate it.

Hi Guys!

Didn't find this little subforum until just now...I too am a very excited member of the AMC Class of 2009! Moving to Albany from Boston, so I'm a bit concerned about whether Albany will be any fun also. I'm going with the "rationalization" theory--NYC and Boston are within 3 hours if we really get desperate, and a city without major distractions is probably the best thing in terms of productivity...and budget! ;)

I also was stressed out about the apt hunting...really wanted to get it taken care of, so it was one less thing to be concerned about come August. The AMC students I talked to recommended using the AMC STudent Office list, since most of those listings are in the better neighborhoods...and they also mentioned that living alone was the preferred choice, since conflicts can easily arise due to high stress, diff. study habits, cleanliness, visitors, etc. So after 2 day trips to Albany, I found a great 1 BR 5 min. from campus--and I'm very excited about it! :thumbup:

For those coming to AMC from far away, I'd definitely recommend the building--email me if you want details. Also, a word of caution: because there are so many students in Albany, a lot of the housing near AMC was not in great shape--porches falling down, crooked steps, etc...so make sure to see as many places as possible when you visit, since some on your list may turn out to be subpar!

See you in August! :D

Hi all,

Congrats on your acceptances! I am a current third year, wasting some time and was just looking at your thread. I noticed a lot of people looking for housing, and wanted to let people know that I have a room in my house available for rent. I purchased a house my first year, and my roommate just moved out. I have one other guy from AMC living there. Since I will be starting my 4th year soon, I will away for most of the year (about 6-7 months of it, on and off), and would like to rent out the master bedroom, which has plenty of space (plus a great nook for studying). The rent includes full use of the house and laundry. Parking is on the street, but there is plenty of it, and there is a secure area next to the house for vacation parking and snow emergencies (if you aren't familiar with snow emergencies, just wait till you get to Albany!). The house is about 4 blocks from the school, which equates to a 10-15 minute walk. Besides that, there is a porch good for sunday studying with a beer, and a backyward with a hammock. The rent is $375/month plus utilities. If you have any questions, my name is Craig, and you can email me at [email protected]. Also, if you have any specific AMC or Albany questions, feel free to contact me as well. Good luck!

ma-bas said:
Nice to meet everyone!

I have already started looking online and got the housing listings from the Student Affairs office, which weren't too helpful. I am hoping for something that I can move into in July or Aug. Seeing my financial aid award leads me to the decision that I probably can't afford living alone. Ideally I would like to live with one other person, preferably female. It would nice to just find someone who already has a place, but if someone is interested in living with me, I could do the legwork since I am only about 3 hours from Albany. I think I mentioned this before but I plan on being away most weekends, so that might be an ideal situation for the person who wants more privacy.

tchantal - I think they said the reason families can't come to the white coat ceremony is b/c all med students in the school are there and they can't fit anyone else. Didn't quite make sense to me either.

I am getting excited. My motivation at work is plummetting. August is going to be here before we know it.

I am starting my third year and am looking for a roommate for a two bedroom apartment. It is literally a three minute walk from apartment to first and second year classrooms. I have been living alone, but now that I will be spending a lot of time on the floors and away, I thought it'd be nice to have a roommate to help with costs. I'm also more than willing to offer any advice or resources that I currently have. Let me know if still looking for place!

I am a fourth year at Albany Med and I just wanted to say congratulations and welcome to all of you. You have so many great experiences ahead of you, and this is a great place to be. Good luck!