Official: Am I the only one that's behind????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,
No interviews. Submitted 7 secondaries but no LORs sent yet b/c two of my profs don't seem to understand the issue of timing. i am seening all these people get interviews left and right and starting to feel really worried.

So. Those of you that don't have an interview yet or are on the same frequency as me...LET's HEAR IT!! What's stopping you from getting one? Why am I not hearing from those of you that are still not done? And why don't we have a support group yet?

Please tell me I'm not the only one getting frantic.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

just chill girl...99% of the applicants are still waiting

Originally posted by calbears84
just chill girl...99% of the applicants are still waiting

I know I should just reeeelax. But once in a while I go through such an episode. :rolleyes: I am feeling a wee bit sane now, but I'd like to keep this thread alive for some serious venting.

Thanks for listening. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Tweetie, don't worry, its still pretty early in the admissions process. I too am waiting for my LORs to go out. Last year my advisor told me that most applicants don't even put in their request to the letter writing committee till Sept, so I don't think we're too far behind.

heh, don't worry tweety, I've sent out about 10 secondaries now, and I still haven't heard jack. And i've already sent out my LORs to them. The only closest thing to an interview was today when I was put on hold for an interview at ucsd.

well, we'll see what happens.

don't worry, you seem to to be on top of everything. I'm sure you'll get in.

I've submitted ~10 secondaries, but I am not verified yet. My school messed up my grades, so they did not send out my transcripts until a few weeks ago!

Oh well, just waiting now...

Blues

It is extremely early right now in the whole process. Just remember that out of the 30,000 to 35,000 people that will be applying to medical school this year, only about 30% of them know that SDN exists, and thats overestimating. So the 10 people on SDN that already have been granted interviews only represents like .3% of all applicants, or some other really small number. In general, if you finish everything before October, it is still considered early. Also, from what I've noticed, if you finish by then you should be granted interviews way before Christmas, which really helps an applicant's chances.

Tweetie,

I've submitted 17 secondaries. My LORs are behind, although I started the whole LOR process since last March (!!!). My LORs are finally coming together and are hopefully on their way to the schools. I still haven't received any interview invites from any school, although for two (out of the 17) I had completed since the end of July.

Hold on there girl... Best of luck to you.

I sent my professors reminders every week. My last one was finished about a month after my first request. So you might want to nudge them towards finishing it...

OK.... newbie question here

I've submitted ~10 secondaries, but I am not verified yet. My school messed up my grades, so they did not send out my transcripts until a few weeks ago!

How can you submit secondaries before your transcript? Doesn't your transcript have to go to AMCAS first? Or do schools require you to re-send your transcript with the secondary.

Thanks!

I didn't get an interview invite until Novermber of last year.....it's still early for them.

my LOR file is finally complete. feels like a movie where you need to put all these pieces together, and something magic (hopefully) happens.

Tweetie,

I'm in your boat and then some! I have 18 secondaries completed, and all of my LORs have been sitting in my premedical office for a couple weeks now, however the premed committee doesn't at my school is not sending out the packets for another couple weeks (they do everyone's at once).

So I'm just hoping it won't hurt my chances. I agree, this is a very needed thread...I think there are a lot of us out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so very frustrated with my premed committee, which can't send out stuff when I ask until like 3 weeks later when it's pretty late. :( I'm also feeling pretty uncomfortable with the fact that some of my med schools are giving out invitations to interview already and I haven't got one yet.
+pissed+

Tweetie,
Don't ya worry! Echoing what someone else said earlier, us SDNers are a very small group of exceptionally overachieving applicants. Most of the people I know that are applying this year haven't even finished their AMCAS yet. Like you, I've completed 8 secondaries so far and have many on deck!!!!! And 4 of my 5 letters are yet to be finished by my professors/supervisor/coordinator. So hang in there!!!! I'm sure I'll be dropping by here periodically to vent! :D

just a little sumtin sumtin from a reapplicant ... last year was basically the amcas year from hell and basically messed up completely on my application .. anyways so i awas in the same boat last year.. my recs weer not in etc and didnt end up comleting my app until mid september which mean the med schools didnt "process" my application until november .. and for me my stats are extremely borderline. if you are like me i would say get your stuff in ASAP!!! ive heard that med schools lagg big time , that even if your app is complete they lag in terms of giving it to adcom.. sooo i dont mean to scare anyone but the biggest advise straight from the med schls mouths is that get YOUR STUFF IN EARLY!!! so be on top of the med schools as far as making sure they have your materials. another horror story last year i surprisingly got a secondary from UCSF .. turned in everything in september... turns out they never got it.. and i didnt check up until january.. and i think that lateness surely wiped out my chances.. well anyways good luck everyone and please dont make the same mistakes i did. i dont wish this re-application process on anyone . GOOD LUCK ;) ;)

I'm in the same boat as ya'all.....I've turned in ~8 secondaries, have a few more to turn in, and am waiting on a few more. Still no invitations to interview. I'd really really like to interview in Sept. of Oct as others have said is good in other threads, but then again, those other people are probably the "gunners" of SDN. The normal people are probably in the same boat as us or just getting the AMCAS turned in after taking/retaking the MCAT. So we're all probably doing just fine.

Tweetie,

I really wouldn't worry. As someone else said, most of the people on this site seem to be way ahead of the game. I know quite a few people like myself who are still finishing up the AMCAS, took the August MCAT, and (I) finally asked people to write letters today. Just relax - and things will start to happen I'm sure...
All of my friends who applied last year who weren't interviewed until November still got into great schools.

I feel the same way, still waiting on two letters of recs... Every time I go on SDN I feel super behind!!!.... oh well... we'll see what happens.

Hey Lovedoc,

AMCAS received my transcripts already, so I am "in line for verification." I have received secondaries, but my file will not be completed until AMCAS gets around to verifying my application.

Hope that helps and good luck to everyone!

Blues

thank you so much for your candid responses. I think once in a while we all tend to get frantic, and I guess that's just normal.

Don't let this thread die. I think we need to support one another through this. So, here's my plan--let's make a schedule for ourselves and stick to it. Perhaps we can buddy up (through PMs) and urge one another to finish a couple of secondaries every few days. This way, we will feel like we're not the only ones in a mess. What do you say? I'll start-

So, by end of this week I would like to be done with (and I"m being a bit ambitious here)

CWRU--trying to finish up on the essay.
SLU
Georgetown
Univ of Washington.
I have also promised myself to nag one of my profs and set up an appt with another to polish the LOR.

Let's have others post here. I'll bump this thread every few days to see how everybody is doing. Come on..share your "to do tasks." I promise you it will seem easier to walk through this process with others.

love,
Tweetie

PS: Blues, that's HARSH, man!!! I hope it's going better for you. :( Keep us all updated.

I'm still waiting for 2 LORs to come in-- from people who should know better than to drag this out!! It's very frustrating b/c I've sent in ~10 secondaries, and I'll have another one finished by the end of this week. My stats aren't stellar, so I need to get my file completed to have the best chance of even getting an interview...argh. I'm frustrated. And I"m done venting... for now.:D

I'm in the same boat with Sweet Tea. my secondaries are finished (except Drexel), and all I'm waiting for is for my school to straighten it out with sending out letters. :mad:

Tweetie,

Have you already received a secondary from U of Washington (Seattle)? There is another thread about U of WA secondary-- I haven't heard from anybody that has received it. I know that their secondary is out there on their website, but they said not to send it in unless they asked for it (below). Or... are you just preparing it, but not going to submit it until you get their secondary?

---------------------------
Thank you for your AMCAS application for admission to the University
of Washington School of Medicine. In the near future your file will
undergo a preliminary review and you will be notified as soon as
possible concerning submission of supplemental materials. Please
do not send supplementary materials unless you are asked to do so.

Hey All,
I'm still waiting on Letters of Rec too. I got a bunch of Secondaries and I should be able to send them out within the next two weeks. Right now, I only have two secondaries done.

Originally posted by jalan2
Tweetie,

Have you already received a secondary from U of Washington (Seattle)? There is another thread about U of WA secondary-- I haven't heard from anybody that has received it. I know that their secondary is out there on their website, but they said not to send it in unless they asked for it (below). Or... are you just preparing it, but not going to submit it until you get their secondary?

Thank you for your AMCAS application for admission to the University
of Washington School of Medicine. In the near future your file will
undergo a preliminary review and you will be notified as soon as
possible concerning submission of supplemental materials. Please
do not send supplementary materials unless you are asked to do so.

They sent me an email with the info for supplemental material. Gave me a password et al, so I have to start working on it ASAP.

At least most of you guys have been verified. It's been five weeks since I certified my primary and amcas is still screwing around with it. I wish they would hurry the hell up. I sent in two secondaries last week and my LORs will be sent by the end of this week, so now i'm just waiting on the slowest, yet most over-priced application service ever!!:mad:

Hey,
I thought it is still EARLY in the cycle! Isn't it??!
Am I totally behind? LORs are in I believe, but
I have about 13 more essay laden secondaries to go! And they are going so *slowly*

:confused:

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
Ok,
No interviews. Submitted 7 secondaries but no LORs sent yet b/c two of my profs don't seem to understand the issue of timing. i am seening all these people get interviews left and right and starting to feel really worried.

So. Those of you that don't have an interview yet or are on the same frequency as me...LET's HEAR IT!! What's stopping you from getting one? Why am I not hearing from those of you that are still not done? And why don't we have a support group yet?

Please tell me I'm not the only one getting frantic.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

It's okay Tweetie. There are people who haven't done any secondaries and are just impressed that they got AMCAS finished by mid-July. They just want to make sure they're done before the October/November/whatever deadlines. Talked to one today... :)

-RA

The other day (August 26th)I was typing up my Georgetown essay, and opened the one I wrote two years ago and was happy to notice the date on it was December 20th. So I'm 4 months ahead of where I was two years ago. Yay! So if you're filling out apps now, I'd bet you're still early in the game called "med school admissions."

I have received several PMs about people really liking this thread and saying how it's helping them. So, I'm bumping it up.

I already have a "PM-buddy" that I'm using to nag me everyday to keep on top of my secondary schedule. We are walking each other through this process. I suggest you guys do the same. Find somebody on here and PM them. Send them your list of secondaries and make a timeline for each set of 2-3 days and try to stick with the schedule. I already see it working. ;)

My best wishes to all!! STAY ON TOP OF THE GAME!

YAY!!!! I just found out that one of my LORs (from my PI) is in!!! YAY!!! Now I'm just waiting on the one from a guy on an adcom, and I can send these things out!! YAY!!!

This PM buddy thing is really workin! So why am i not seeing more posts here? :D Get workin people! :)