Official Anime Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any anime fans out there? Thought I would try out a thread to help us distract a bit from current situation. Some of my all time favorites are:

1. Code Geass - One word: perfect! From start to finish, this anime had me at the edge of my seat. I could never predict what would happen next. It has amazing characters, cool soundtrack, incredible plot, and the most perfect ending that I have seen from any anime/ movie/ show or even book. However, I wouldn’t advise to start with this anime, because after watching this everything else would simply pale in comparison.

2. Death Note - First 2/3rd of this anime is as good as anything ever put on the screen. This was my first anime and I would also recommend this as a starting point for folks new to this genre. Also, mesmerizing soundtrack.

3. Baccano! - Masterpiece! This is sort of like a Pulp Fiction version of anime. It’s told in non-linear fashion where several different stories are intertwined. Has a wide range of amazing characters, intriguing plot with awesome soundtrack. First 3 or so episodes are very confusing. I stopped like 3 times before forcing myself to see it through and in the end I was rewarded! And it’s a very short anime with just 16 episodes.

I also watched Cowboy bebop and Gurren Lagann but they were pretty meh. Though, Bebop has arguably the best anime soundtrack. I have also tried watching Steins Gate but stopped several times after first 4 episodes. May be I need to force myself like I did with Baccano! since it’s highly rated.

Moreover, I just can’t get into Fullmetal Alchemist. It seems too childish/ cheesy for me. Should I bear through it and keep watching? What are your favorites and any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Your list isn’t bad. Others I have enjoyed:

Black Butler (season 1) - especially recommended for fans of Death Note as I think they have a similar sense of immoral protagonists.

Trigun - maybe just because it was one of the first I ever saw but I like this one.

Seven deadly sins - so far so good.

Reactions: 3 users
I would probably rate Code Geass and Death Note as top 5 on my list. Trigun is definitely a classic. I’m glad I’m not the only pharmacist that likes anime lol. The ones I’ve enjoyed recently are Overlord, Sword Art Online, and Erased.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't watched a new one recently but old ones I like

Steins Gate
Gurren Laggann
Bleach
Hunter X Hunter
Naruto (non filler)
Code Geass
Death Note
Rurouni Kenshin
One punch man (just 1 season)
Attack on titan (1 season)
Dragon Ball (anime sucks - coz it takes too damn long but manga is so good)

I've probably watched too much anime in my life time ... (100+ shows and more than double that in manga read). Overall, the best ones IMO are:

Akame ga Kill (minus the alternate anime ending)
Attack on Titans
Code Geass
Demon Slayer
Fate Unlimited Blade Works
Fate Zero
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Goblin Slayer
No Game No Life
Noragami
One Punch Man
Your Lie in April

I try to avoid listing anything that I watched way back in day Rurouni Kenshin/Naruto/Bleach/Inuyasha/Death Note since I'm not sure at this point if I like them cause of nostalgia factor for those childhood days or if I liked them because they were actually really good.

Bleach (only for the fighting), DBZ (again, only for the fighting), death note, Code Geass, FMA/FMAB...can no longer bring myself to watch anymore/get into (more into during college)

Reactions: 1 user
I've probably watched too much anime in my life time ... (100+ shows and more than double that in manga read). Overall, the best ones IMO are:

Akame ga Kill (minus the alternate anime ending)
Attack on Titans
Code Geass
Demon Slayer
Fate Unlimited Blade Works
Fate Zero
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Goblin Slayer
No Game No Life
Noragami
One Punch Man
Your Lie in April

I try to avoid listing anything that I watched way back in day Rurouni Kenshin/Naruto/Bleach/Inuyasha/Death Note since I'm not sure at this point if I like them cause of nostalgia factor for those childhood days or if I liked them because they were actually really good.
It's still good but the old animes are a bit slower paced, and have less detailed animation.

Petshop of Horrors (only 4 eps, but manga is longer)
Chobits
Fruits baskets
Evangelion
FLCL

Non anime related, but i still got to recommend it whenever anyone asks what's a good show, cuz it's awesome:
The Mandalorian TV

Just for a bunch of different genres (in no particular order):

Can’t believe nobody has said My Hero Academia yet.
Attack on Titan
Shiki
Gundam Wing
One Punch Man
Psycho Pass
ID: Invaded
Keijo
Black Clover
Yamada’s First Time
Madoka
If you don’t hate long stuff: Fairy Tale and One Piece
Goblin Slayer
Rising of the Shield Hero
Dr. Stone
Assassination Classroom
Yu Yu Hakusho
Kill la Kill
Future Diary

I would stick with Fullmetal if you’re only a few episodes in as I don’t think of it as childish.

Last edited:
Can’t believe only 1 person said Trigun. Cowboy bepop? Rurouni Kenshin? FLCL? Just some oldies I’m throwing out there.

Kino’s Journey, The Beautiful World
No Game No Life (NGNL)
Overlord
Claymore
Bleach
Naruto
One piece i stopped after like episode 300
Darker than Black
Code Geass
Tenchi Muyo? Lol that’s an oldie
So many more. At least 20 more.

Welcome to the NHK
Yakitate Japan

Oh I forgot about Fate Zero. Some of those are the best.

My Hero is good but I find it overhyped. Like it’s good but it isn’t a game changer lol

What is people’s opinion on Bleach, Naruto and One Piece? Is one better than the other? Which one should I try first? Currently my plan is to finish Steins Gate first and then go from there. Also, there is a sequel for Steins Gate out there too.

I also watched Monster which is highly rated; I have mixed feelings. It has some awesome/ memorable moments but way too many fillers for my liking. Same applies to Legend of Galactic Heroes.

I personally prefer dubbed anime vs subtitles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, recommend Mushishi. It’s something entirely different and it’s not something I can binge-watch. Watching it is like doing meditation. It’s therapeutic.

Of those three Bleach is probably my favorite. Naruto is probably better in truth but SO MUCH FILLER. One Piece is fine but somewhat kiddy in places and also has too much filler.

Moreover, I just can’t get into Fullmetal Alchemist. It seems too childish/ cheesy for me. Should I bear through it and keep watching? What are your favorites and any recommendations?
FMA (original) does not get good until about 20 episodes in (lab 5); picks up pace and changes tone completely from the manga (more adult themed thereafter with plenty of grotesque scenes later on). Original series seems like it's almost 2 different animes

Reactions: 1 users
What is people’s opinion on Bleach, Naruto and One Piece? Is one better than the other? Which one should I try first? Currently my plan is to finish Steins Gate first and then go from there. Also, there is a sequel for Steins Gate out there too.

I also watched Monster which is highly rated; I have mixed feelings. It has some awesome/ memorable moments but way too many fillers for my liking. Same applies to Legend of Galactic Heroes.

I personally prefer dubbed anime vs subtitles.

Bleach has by far the best start and the best opening songs (first 80 episodes or so), but the story just starts making less and less sense as it progresses (I have heard that this is due to the fact that Shonen Jump made the author Tite Kubo extend the manga way past what he wanted).

Naruto has so many fillers until it starts getting really good Shippuuden. First ~60-80 episodes are good, next 140-160 are meh, but after episode 221 it starts getting REALLY good.

One Piece is the only one that I couldn't bring myself to watch (although I do read the manga). However, it takes the opposite path: starts out slow as hell. It starts picking up about 100 to 120 episodes in (from what I heard) and actually has the best storyline instead of just bringing out nonsensically stronger enemies one after the other (looking at you Bleach).

Reactions: 2 users
Bleach has by far the best start and the best opening songs (first 80 episodes or so), but the story just starts making less and less sense as it progresses (I have heard that this is due to the fact that Shonen Jump made the author Tite Kubo extend the manga way past what he wanted).
Didn't care for the story of Bleach much...same thing repeated over and over again & many things just don't seem to add up. Author was definitely rushed...seems weird to me too that no one ever seems to die (no consequences) despite so many seemingly mortal wounds/blows (yeah, blood spewing/gushing out like busting open an aerosol can so much).

Bleach is definitely overwhelming as far as shear # of characters and development (it's good but limited simply due to the shear volume of characters, some simply get lost in the shuffle/not enough air time for all of them); I do not like some of the overly sexual-ized female characters...sigh someone has a big boob fetish...rather focus on making the character unique interesting/not one dimensional, etc. Female characters seem to suffer from damsel in distress syndrome too much for my liking. I like how the bankai/shikai (sp?)/zanpaktou centers around the character/make someone fairly unique and have a bit of an ego trip and sometimes alternate personality. Ichigo as a schizophrenic and/or bipolar person makes bleach interesting

Again with DBZ plenty of death but no consequences because of wishing...there is no gravity/no steaks

Last edited:
I am showing my age. I think anime reached its zenith at Ghost in the Shell and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Grave of the Fireflies only if I have enough alcohol to sit through the emotional damage it does to me.

My wife watches all the anime on Netflix, and quite frankly I don't get most of them. I feel like an old man trying to understand what the heck is going on in them. When I told her I saw Love Hina and liked it, endless mockery ensued.

But I can't complain, wifey also dragged me to Studio Ghibli museum in Japan, tons of fun there. We were supposed to go to the Manga museum in kyoto this year, but due to COVID had to cancel :-(

• Wow
I have heard bad things about Neon’s ending. Not gonna invest time into something that doesn’t have satisfactory conclusion.

I have heard bad things about Neon’s ending. Not gonna invest time into something that doesn’t have satisfactory conclusion.

Sadly that is the case for most anime’s. Either no ending or terrible ending.

Sadly that is the case for most anime’s. Either no ending or terrible ending.

(A LITTLE SPOILER ABOUT BLEACH)

Bleach's manga has an absolute worst ending. I don't know whether they will resume the anime. I got drawn into it initially because of the concept of the soul society and the afterlife in general.

(A LITTLE SPOILER ABOUT BLEACH)

Bleach's manga has an absolute worst ending. I don't know whether they will resume the anime. I got drawn into it initially because of the concept of the soul society and the afterlife in general.

I heard the anime is coming back I think in 2021. I hardly read any manga so can’t comment on that. I did really enjoy “Scott Pilgrim v World” - both movie and manga.

I never got neon genesis. Straight trash imo. Ghost in the Shell on the other hand aged very well.

I will meet you, pistols at dawn. I remember in college I missed a whole day of class watching it non-stop on VHS (yes, VHS) from a classmate in my dorm room eating chef boyardee spaghetti and meatballs in a can. Neon Genesis does start off very much like a big robots and only slightly smaller boobs anime but quickly delves into an existential nightmare (while still retaining large battling robots and slightly smaller boobs).

The ending was a take it or leave it. Almost like the sopranos ending.

I never got into it. I tried watching Initial D back in the day, only got to the 4th or 5th episode before losing interest. I found it to be repetitive and over the top.

I heard the anime is coming back I think in 2021. I hardly read any manga so can’t comment on that. I did really enjoy “Scott Pilgrim v World” - both movie and manga.
Go read DBZ. I read it when I was in junior high school. I thought that thing was crack.

In addition to the above: would highly recommend Gungrave, particularly the first half (episodes 2-14) and to a lesser extent the second half (1,15-26). My personal favorite. Fantastic character development and a poignance that lingers. Succinct to boot.

Story is divided into two very distinct arcs (crime syndicates vs. sci fi) but I enjoyed them both for what they are. Overtones of Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Trigun and Hellsing sprinkled throughout.

Hunter X Hunter is another anime that is rated highly.. Any opinions?

I feel like I am going to take more heat for this but I think it is overrated. I just don’t get the appeal. It’s not bad by any means but it’s just ok for me.

• Dislike
I've been trying to figure out how to word this appropriately so it doesn't sound bad so I'll just ask what is the appeal to anime?

I've been trying to figure out how to word this appropriately so it doesn't sound bad so I'll just ask what is the appeal to anime?
I can think of a few things very generally. The most important is the ability of an animated medium to bring to life settings that just wouldn't be feasible or cost-effective otherwise - e.g., Dragonball Z, Princess Mononoke. This inherent flexibility in world-building allows for a plethora of possibilities that can appeal to a variety of audiences and transport them to different planes, while still suspending their disbelief.

Reactions: 2 users

Some of the other replies are more eloquent than I could articulate but I will add that I enjoy watching cartoons for adults. For me it’s like soda - I never outgrew it.

Oh and other one to add to the list: Avatar: The Last Airbender. It is aimed for a younger audience but it’s still really really good imo.

Makes sense, thank you

Why not judge it for yourself? Here is the link to first two episodes of Death Note. I would highly suggest you to watch these two episodes and then stop if you aren't hooked! It's 20 minutes each so not significant time investment.

I would warn you though.. Once you start, you wouldn't wanna stop hehe! Whole anime is on YT.

Why not judge it for yourself? Here is the link to first two episodes of Death Note. I would highly suggest you to watch these two episodes and then stop if you aren't hooked! It's 20 minutes each so not significant time investment.

I would warn you though.. Once you start, you wouldn't wanna stop hehe! Whole anime is on YT.

What's it about?

I've never watched anything considered anime that I can remember. Is this where I should start? Should my kids watch it with me?

What's it about?

I've never watched anything considered anime that I can remember. Is this where I should start? Should my kids watch it with me?

"An intelligent high school student goes on a secret crusade to eliminate criminals from the world after discovering a notebook capable of killing anyone whose name is written into it. "

It's for viewers 14 years and above. It doesn't have sexual theme or vulgar language so if your kids are grown up then it's fine. In short, this is cat and mouse game between world's smartest criminal vs brightest detective.

I started with this anime.

I'm in the same boat as Wagrxm. Despite the fact that I'm pretty much a horror/sci-fi/fantasy junkie otherwise, I've just never been able to get into anime. I don't know why. Maybe I've just never watched the right one?

"An intelligent high school student goes on a secret crusade to eliminate criminals from the world after discovering a notebook capable of killing anyone whose name is written into it. "

It's for viewers 14 years and above. It doesn't have sexual theme or vulgar language so if your kids are grown up then it's fine. In short, this is cat and mouse game between world's smartest criminal vs brightest detective.

I started with this anime.

Unfortunately we didn't get very far, maybe this type isn't for us.

Locked up in the house, always could use new shows for us and the kids.

Just curious, did you actually finish first two episodes? If not, I would highly urge you to do it and then decide. If yes, then fair enough :).

Naruto copied a lot of hunter x hunter characters. Naruto popularity took off to stratosphere. I enjoy it up to greed Island episode and I haven't downloaded any new episodes.

Anime > American cartoon by far.

It's very similar to My Hero Academia (a lot of the characters in My Hero have their counterparts in Hunter x Hunter). Although I can't stand HxH because of the manga's never ending hiatus, I think the show starts off very strong.

What shows do you normally like to watch? Favorite movies? That would help the recommendations some :)

Bleach is pretty stupid but maybe when they adapt the final arc for the anime they'll "fix" the ending (no spoilers)

Peep my avatar hehe #BeastTitan