**Official April 2017 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Determined!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! This is for those taking the April 2017 MCAT on April 22 or April 28. Feel free to post any questions, concerns, advice, or support to your fellow SDNers.
GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with hopefuldoctor, a 508 is a significant improvement from a 504. I've been told that a 508 is the base competitive score for allo programs. If you look at MSAR data from last year, the national average for applicants was a 502/503, while accepted national median was a 31/32 on the old scale = ~509-12 on new. You could always get in with your score but if you really want to improve your chances then look at the stats!

So I've already tapped out the AAMC materials although I'd redo the section banks and I had bought Kaplan but already off loaded it and didn't like it anyways.
Should I buy ExamKrackers practice tests? Next Step? What else is out there?

I did a really thorough content review, so should I just focus on practice tests, timing wise? I'm looking at June 30 and can realistically devote about 6 hours a day plus FL days like every 3 days.....

So I've already tapped out the AAMC materials although I'd redo the section banks and I had bought Kaplan but already off loaded it and didn't like it anyways.

I did a really thorough content review, so should I just focus on practice tests, timing wise? I'm looking at June 30 and can realistically devote about 6 hours a day plus FL days like every 3 days.....

I liked the EK tests, they were challenging! Have never taken NS but heard those were representative as well. I liked the NS 108 CARS passages and the NS 2000+ science questions to practice for all of the sections outside of FL tests. I would suggest taking at least 6-7 practice tests before your exam, giving yourself time to review between exams. I used the NS books to supplement my review between exams.

I liked the NS tests and I really, really like the Berkeley Review Books. They have some amazing practice problems and thorough explanations. In fact, even if you did a thorough content review, try TBR - I found their presentation was much more understandable than Kaplan, EK, or TPR (but you may have a different experience.

CARS. The bane of my existence. I felt like the Apr 23 exam had a very straightforward CARS section, so I think we couldn't miss as many questions. How was your exam?

Where do you live? I know that FSU's MCAT median is a 505 or something like that, so I bet you can get in somewhere with those stats, especially with the great ECs and GPA. I haven't looked at the other Florida schools except USF, UF, and Miami so far, but I imagine that there are others. Definitely invest in the MSAR.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I liked the NS tests and I really, really like the Berkeley Review Books. They have some amazing practice problems and thorough explanations. In fact, even if you did a thorough content review, try TBR - I found their presentation was much more understandable than Kaplan, EK, or TPR (but you may have a different experience.

CARS. The bane of my existence. I felt like the Apr 23 exam had a very straightforward CARS section, so I think we couldn't miss as many questions. How was your exam?

Where do you live? I know that FSU's MCAT median is a 505 or something like that, so I bet you can get in somewhere with those stats, especially with the great ECs and GPA. I haven't looked at the other Florida schools except USF, UF, and Miami so far, but I imagine that there are others. Definitely invest in the MSAR.

Thanks for your help! I am in awe of all you 520 plussers.

Wow way to go on those scores you guys!!

I only got 504 :-///// darn. 125/126/125/128

I was scoring 130 on practice exams in CARS, so I am really disappointed I didn't get at least 508. But I ran out of time at every section except P/S, which I did the best in. On AAMC 1 and 2 I got 508 and 512..... I had accommodations in undergrad for ADD, so I wonder if I have time to get that from AAMC and test in July........

Now I'm at the position of considering a retake :-( I really only want to go to allopathic...

My GPA is 3.75c and 3.9 bcpm. And I have stellar EC's. Any advice? Maybe I should make a wamc post....

What state are you in?

If you're in a state that has a few public meds with a strong instate bias, your GPA may pull you thru if you submit early....are you ready to submit tomorrow?

Also, have you looked to see if there's a MCAT testing seat near you in - for instance - July?

These are the July MCAT dates: 21 22 27 28

What state are you in?

If you're in a state that has a few public meds with a strong instate bias, your GPA may pull you thru if you submit early....are you ready to submit tomorrow?

Also, have you looked to see if there's a MCAT testing seat near you in - for instance - July?

These are the July MCAT dates: 21 22 27 28

VA

I thought about taking it June 28......

Should I submit my app tomorrow with upper tier schools selected? Or should I wait to add them if my score gets better August 1???

Is it better to be early and low MCAT or a bit later and high MCAT? Or early and low MCAT with a higher MCAT update?

VA

I thought about taking it June 28......

Should I submit my app tomorrow with upper tier schools selected? Or should I wait to add them if my score gets better August 1???

Is it better to be early and low MCAT or a bit later and high MCAT? Or early and low MCAT with a higher MCAT update?

Only submit your app to schools that are within range of your current MCAT score. Because assuming you retake and don't improve that won't help you. But hopefully after doing a lot better when you get your new score your app is automatically updated within a few days and then you can add more schools then.