-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread
Started by HaitianMD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It had the format of some of the hardest VR passages from AAMC, specifically the first and last passage I had were incredibly difficult.I know what ur talking about with the tricky VR... And I didn't see any of those types of questions. Maybe you were overthinking it? Or maybe I'll be in for a horrible surprise in about 30 days lol
I agree with the first verbal being difficult if we had the same order. I stared at it for a bit before deciding to skip to the next passage which was much more "friendly." Nonetheless, verbal has always been tough for me and this was no different; the passages seem longer, but I would definitely say that's a result of the screen resolution and the need to scroll throughout the passage.
I found PS to be tough (usually average around 12) I found it to be too conceptual (not much math work on my paper), I would of much rather preferred more calculation type problems. I agree with some questions being sprinkled in that it felt you either knew it or didn't and information could not be deduced from the passage, on both PS and BS.
BS was as rumors speculated definitely more experiment based (AAMC 10/11), but doable.
I guess i'm hoping for a generous curve; if not expecting to retake before the change to 2015 MCAT, clearly at a disadvantage if you have not taken that course work by the look of it from the trial section.
I found PS to be tough (usually average around 12) I found it to be too conceptual (not much math work on my paper), I would of much rather preferred more calculation type problems. I agree with some questions being sprinkled in that it felt you either knew it or didn't and information could not be deduced from the passage, on both PS and BS.
BS was as rumors speculated definitely more experiment based (AAMC 10/11), but doable.
I guess i'm hoping for a generous curve; if not expecting to retake before the change to 2015 MCAT, clearly at a disadvantage if you have not taken that course work by the look of it from the trial section.
I thought the verbal was difficult. The first passage was confusing and the last one was lengthy. I was skipping the same way. The PS was more theoretical, but I didn't mind too much. BS was more experiment based; however, due to my particularly course background, felt the easiest of the three even when considering my past aamcs. But yeah once again, verbal was hard for me, about as hard as the hardest verbal aamc was for me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VR: dense, rambling passages. Questions required lots of analysis . I average 11 on most AAMC VR sections (high of 13 on AAMC 4, low of 10 on AAMC 10), and will be happy with a 9 on this one.
PS section was pretty easy. I'm guessing I got a 12 or 13 on it. For the record, I am a Chemistry tutor.
BS had way more O Chem than my practice exams or even my last MCAT (7/2/14). A lot of the Bio questions had answer choices that required you to split hairs and/or make judgment calls. I unfortunately predict a 10 on this one. For the record, I am a TA for Human A&P.
Good luck everyone.
PS section was pretty easy. I'm guessing I got a 12 or 13 on it. For the record, I am a Chemistry tutor.
BS had way more O Chem than my practice exams or even my last MCAT (7/2/14). A lot of the Bio questions had answer choices that required you to split hairs and/or make judgment calls. I unfortunately predict a 10 on this one. For the record, I am a TA for Human A&P.
Good luck everyone.
Verbal is not as hard but I suck at it anyway. It actually feel easier than aamc practice exam. Ps has focused bit more on general chemistry, bs has long long passages.
Now the trial section, let's just put it this way, I would not in million years want to take the new mcat.
Now the trial section, let's just put it this way, I would not in million years want to take the new mcat.
Yeah, I agree this test was slightly o-chem heavy.
But I have to say, for those of you out there seeking advice, really spend time doing passages. The test I took today was more about integration and interpreting the passages (go figure) than it was about regurgitation of things that you know. I recall two questions specifically asking me to calculate something in biology ...yes biology. The only way you can prepare for this is by doing practice, not necessarily to improve your conceptual understanding (even though that'll happen in the process), but to prepare yourself to deal with unfamiliar situations and learning how to assimilate that information as quickly as possible. This test is entirely about reasoning.
I don't even know what to say about verbal reasoning. I'm surprised people felt it was easy. There was only a single passage I was able to really understand and feel comfortable with. The rest I did not -- and unfortunately, I straight up guessed on a lot of questions. This section makes me feel like a dumb ass and if there's anything that's preventing me from getting into medical school, it's this. I honestly believe no amount of practice can prepare for the innate ability that others have to process and analyze a large amount of information over a short period of time.
Physical sciences is a crapshoot, but whatever. Some questions were okay, others lost me. Anyways, so glad to be done ...time to celebrate.
But I have to say, for those of you out there seeking advice, really spend time doing passages. The test I took today was more about integration and interpreting the passages (go figure) than it was about regurgitation of things that you know. I recall two questions specifically asking me to calculate something in biology ...yes biology. The only way you can prepare for this is by doing practice, not necessarily to improve your conceptual understanding (even though that'll happen in the process), but to prepare yourself to deal with unfamiliar situations and learning how to assimilate that information as quickly as possible. This test is entirely about reasoning.
I don't even know what to say about verbal reasoning. I'm surprised people felt it was easy. There was only a single passage I was able to really understand and feel comfortable with. The rest I did not -- and unfortunately, I straight up guessed on a lot of questions. This section makes me feel like a dumb ass and if there's anything that's preventing me from getting into medical school, it's this. I honestly believe no amount of practice can prepare for the innate ability that others have to process and analyze a large amount of information over a short period of time.
Physical sciences is a crapshoot, but whatever. Some questions were okay, others lost me. Anyways, so glad to be done ...time to celebrate.
2 hours of sleep last night. Wow, that was painful. I had an adrenaline rush because of a stupid adrenaline rush induced by me checking my email, and "realizing" that I never verified my exam date. I knew that it was no big deal, and even was of the opinion that I was mistaken, but you can't control adrenaline release sometimes. I stayed awake with energized muscles and racing thoughts the vast majority of the night.
The test itself wasn't too bad, though. I ended up being a bit short on time for BS, and I think I didn't even read the entire last passage (I think I just read the intro). But the questions for this passage seemed answerable regardless, even despite skipping the passage. I also had to skip a couple VR paragraphs for the last passage, because of a restraint on time.
I really can't guess how I did compared to normal. I would speculate that I scored at the most, 2 points below my AAMC average, but it's hard to say how likely it is that I did worse on this than the practice exams.
I was surprised at how difficult those experimental passages were, though.
edit: Woo! I just looked on google to determine if one of my PS "calculation-ish" questions was correct, and it was!
The test itself wasn't too bad, though. I ended up being a bit short on time for BS, and I think I didn't even read the entire last passage (I think I just read the intro). But the questions for this passage seemed answerable regardless, even despite skipping the passage. I also had to skip a couple VR paragraphs for the last passage, because of a restraint on time.
I really can't guess how I did compared to normal. I would speculate that I scored at the most, 2 points below my AAMC average, but it's hard to say how likely it is that I did worse on this than the practice exams.
I was surprised at how difficult those experimental passages were, though.
edit: Woo! I just looked on google to determine if one of my PS "calculation-ish" questions was correct, and it was!
Yeah, there was definitely two and a few discretes... but I guess it wasn't that heavy.lol wtf I guess there's different versions... was almost no ochem at all on my MCAT....
There appear to have been two versions. I think one exam had hard verbal and PS/BS weren't too bad. There other exam had orgo heavy BS. Both exams required more passage based reasoning than prior knowledge for the sciences.
Hi everyone I also took this exam today! I am glad it is over!
Over all it was not a bad MCAT! I have taken this exam twice before today.
I did horrible on first try that was back
in 08/17/12! Lets just say I am very ashamed of my score.
The second time I took it my scores went up drastically but after my horrible first exam there was nowhere to go but up! Lol PS:10 VR:6 BS:9
Today's mission was to fix my verbal! I think I did ok although the verbal was tough I felt that the TPRH verb book helped me out tons! The passages were not really long to me like most people say. They were avg lengths! I felt like the passages were dense to read but the questions were not bad for the most part. There was 2 passages that gave me a run for my money! Lol
PS: I loved this section! It had every topic that I worked liked crazy to master almost! I felt as if it was my dream section lol if you studied with the science workbook you should have been good with this section of the exam. Actually both PS and BS!
BS: this section was a lot easier then the first time I took the mcat! I had two orgo passages and a couple discretes!
Overall not bad! The orgo wasnt hard at all to me and I really didnt even focus that much on it. But I did have a good grasp of the content!
Prediction: PS 10-13 VR 8-10 BS 10-12
I'm just trying to get in my state school! But hopefully I can get atleast a 30!
Good luck everyone! I'm going to bed because I'm drained after the long drive back home!
Over all it was not a bad MCAT! I have taken this exam twice before today.
I did horrible on first try that was back
in 08/17/12! Lets just say I am very ashamed of my score.
The second time I took it my scores went up drastically but after my horrible first exam there was nowhere to go but up! Lol PS:10 VR:6 BS:9
Today's mission was to fix my verbal! I think I did ok although the verbal was tough I felt that the TPRH verb book helped me out tons! The passages were not really long to me like most people say. They were avg lengths! I felt like the passages were dense to read but the questions were not bad for the most part. There was 2 passages that gave me a run for my money! Lol
PS: I loved this section! It had every topic that I worked liked crazy to master almost! I felt as if it was my dream section lol if you studied with the science workbook you should have been good with this section of the exam. Actually both PS and BS!
BS: this section was a lot easier then the first time I took the mcat! I had two orgo passages and a couple discretes!
Overall not bad! The orgo wasnt hard at all to me and I really didnt even focus that much on it. But I did have a good grasp of the content!
Prediction: PS 10-13 VR 8-10 BS 10-12
I'm just trying to get in my state school! But hopefully I can get atleast a 30!
Good luck everyone! I'm going to bed because I'm drained after the long drive back home!
OMMGG the verbal sucked worse than any verbal I've ever taken. Every passage was incredibly long, dense, and the questions sucked! I thought the PS and BS weren't too bad, but after the verbal my predicted score is 10/1/10 🙁 🙁
Are there two versions of the test, or are there a whole set of interpretations of essentially the same test, partially determined by one's strength in the respective topics/passages, and partially determined by one's state of mind upon reaching various questions?There appear to have been two versions. I think one exam had hard verbal and PS/BS weren't too bad. There other exam had orgo heavy BS. Both exams required more passage based reasoning than prior knowledge for the sciences.
I had an extremely long final passage. Did everyone have that?
two what? versions? or passages? **** now im paranoid that I somehow didn't answer 5+ questions on BS lol
althought I hit review after I finished my sections and there was nothing in the third column... thats the column that lists if you left something incomplete right? right????
Yeah, there was definitely two O-chem passages with a couple of discretes. . .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol I'm with you dude! I feel like maybe there were 2 versions because you and me seem to agree about the verbal section as well. I remember maybe 3 orgo questions for passages and 1 discrete orgotwo what? versions? or passages? **** now im paranoid that I somehow didn't answer 5+ questions on BS lol
althought I hit review after I finished my sections and there was nothing in the third column... thats the column that lists if you left something incomplete right? right????
ok now I think i know what those 2 passages were... yea I didn't really think one of those orgo passages was a real orgo passage lol
Yeah it was a topic briefly covered in orgo; maybe more elementary biochem if you want to call it that?
Oh wait, reflecting more closely I think there were more orgo discretes. I kinda breezed through those because I felt like they were the type where you either know it or your don't so I quickly answered them and moved on contributing to my lack of recall in doing them
PS: I thought this section was very fair. It must have tested all of my strengths because I went through effectively and am confident.
VR: What is this? I don't even...
BS: Was fair with a couple wtf questions. Wasn't too confident when finishing but didn't feel obliterated either.
I am realllllly shocked over that VR. I have gotten a 10 on every practice I have ever done for verbal and I have zero confidence that I did the same here. Felt like I was guessing on far too many of those questions. Also their was one bio passage that I just couldnt wrap my mind around and i think it got me flustered during the exam. I am hoping I surprise myself, but who knows.
VR: What is this? I don't even...
BS: Was fair with a couple wtf questions. Wasn't too confident when finishing but didn't feel obliterated either.
I am realllllly shocked over that VR. I have gotten a 10 on every practice I have ever done for verbal and I have zero confidence that I did the same here. Felt like I was guessing on far too many of those questions. Also their was one bio passage that I just couldnt wrap my mind around and i think it got me flustered during the exam. I am hoping I surprise myself, but who knows.
Predictions:
PS: 11-12
BS: 11-12
Verbal:1-15
PS: 11-12
BS: 11-12
Verbal:1-15
Hey guys i was just wondering...was the PS physics heavy or Chem heavy (or mix of both)? One of the earlier MCATs this month was very physics heavy according to the sdn population. That's worrisome for me because it's my weakest subject.
Wait, this exam was supposed to have some Physics on it? I think that answers your question ..........
OMMGG the verbal sucked worse than any verbal I've ever taken. Every passage was incredibly long, dense, and the questions sucked! I thought the PS and BS weren't too bad, but after the verbal my predicted score is 10/1/10 🙁 🙁
high five. I'm in same boat as you.
more like -10 in verbal.
PS: Some difficult questions but overall found it to be not that bad. Gen Chem heavy with minimal calculations. 11-12
VR: The passages were dense and very detailed, which prevented me from grasping the main concepts of a couple passages. Second half was more difficult than the first. I don't feel good about this section at all. 8-9
BS: Found this section to be the easiest. The passages were simple and easy to follow. Most of the questions came to me immediately and didn't have to think too much. Couple math problems which was odd. 12-13.
VR: The passages were dense and very detailed, which prevented me from grasping the main concepts of a couple passages. Second half was more difficult than the first. I don't feel good about this section at all. 8-9
BS: Found this section to be the easiest. The passages were simple and easy to follow. Most of the questions came to me immediately and didn't have to think too much. Couple math problems which was odd. 12-13.
So.... PS was not that hard, but I kinda got psyched out half way through and ended up having to straight up guess on around 6 because I was running out of time 🙁. Hoping for a 10?
VR was medium difficulty, although I was still scarred from PS lol. Guessing around 10-11
BS was the similar to AAMC's in my opinion, Hoping for 11.
Really wanted 33+ but the last PS passage and some discretes threw me off, so will probably end up with a 28-30.
feels bad man.
VR was medium difficulty, although I was still scarred from PS lol. Guessing around 10-11
BS was the similar to AAMC's in my opinion, Hoping for 11.
Really wanted 33+ but the last PS passage and some discretes threw me off, so will probably end up with a 28-30.
feels bad man.
Sn2 plan should be:
Week 1: PS/BS Concepts
Week 2: Couple AAMCs
Week 3-12: Economist, Journal of Art History
Week 1: PS/BS Concepts
Week 2: Couple AAMCs
Week 3-12: Economist, Journal of Art History
PS: average. It was weird more conceptual. like weird conceptual?
V: I thought it wasn't bad until I got to 4th passage and person next to me started shaking their leg like crazy. Literally my computer screen was shaking. I literally read the same sentence like 10times trying to make sense of it. And I think I just lost it after cuz I got behind in time like crazy.
BS: very passage oriented. average.
Im getting below 30 for sure.
And verbal maybe a 6 or lower.
The worst exam day ever. And the worst summer ever.
Im done with this!
Excuse me while I go scream and cry my eyes out.
V: I thought it wasn't bad until I got to 4th passage and person next to me started shaking their leg like crazy. Literally my computer screen was shaking. I literally read the same sentence like 10times trying to make sense of it. And I think I just lost it after cuz I got behind in time like crazy.
BS: very passage oriented. average.
Im getting below 30 for sure.
And verbal maybe a 6 or lower.
The worst exam day ever. And the worst summer ever.
Im done with this!
Excuse me while I go scream and cry my eyes out.
Yeah, so is mehc012!Kind of interested to see how @mehc012 did!
As for my impressions...
PS was meh...I ended up taking almost the entire allotment of time, which I think was mostly due to triple-quadruple checking every calculation! However, the only AAMC which I took so long on was 11, where I only got a 13, so...
I honestly couldn't tell you whether it was chem or physics based...the chem tends to come easily to me, so the physics always sticks out
However, there were 2-3 questions where I caught the trick right as I was about to move on and had to change my answer. I don't know whether that means I caught most of them and am good or whether they were trying to make things subtle and therefore I should be concerned (missing things in the question/reading is the biggest source of any wrong answers for me). I'm thinking 13-14, as I never scored outside that range on FLs.
VR I thought was great. Most of them made sense, I had very few tossups, those that I did I eventually came to a reasonable answer by eliminating an option, etc. Finished ~20min early.
Probably a 14 by feel, but my spidey sense on VR is notoriously unreliable, so anywhere from 12-15. Again, never scored below that on FLs, even when I stupidly skipped a question.
BS was normal...nothing special, nothing too difficult. There was one orgo question, which, as an orgo major, I thought was an extremely poor question, as there were 2 correct answer choices. I felt like this went par for the course for me in BS, which would make it around a 14. Anywhere from 13-15, I suppose.
So, unless my worst-case-scenario guesses are wild overestimates, that puts me at 13/12/13 if everything went as badly as possible, which is the composite my lowest subsection scores on FLs...and is also within my happy range!
Sidenote: I am so glad I'm not doing next year's MCAT, not because of difficulty, per se, but because complex biochem pathways are just exhausting to read. That's all I got for my trial, which is odd considering that I have taken Biochem and Neuro, yes, but also tons of Psych and some Socio. I really feel that those passages were just disporportionately draining...combined with the extended length of the test? I'm glad to pass on that, not due to difficulty/score, but just due to sheer misery of taking that exam.
How on earth do you finish verbal with 20 minutes to spare?Yeah, so is mehc012!
As for my impressions...
PS was meh...I ended up taking almost the entire allotment of time, which I think was mostly due to triple-quadruple checking every calculation! However, the only AAMC which I took so long on was 11, where I only got a 13, so...![]()
I honestly couldn't tell you whether it was chem or physics based...the chem tends to come easily to me, so the physics always sticks outHowever, there were 2-3 questions where I caught the trick right as I was about to move on and had to change my answer. I don't know whether that means I caught most of them and am good or whether they were trying to make things subtle and therefore I should be concerned (missing things in the question/reading is the biggest source of any wrong answers for me).
I'm thinking 13-14, as I never scored outside that range on FLs.
VR I thought was great. Most of them made sense, I had very few tossups, those that I did I eventually came to a reasonable answer by eliminating an option, etc. Finished ~20min early.
Probably a 14 by feel, but my spidey sense on VR is notoriously unreliable, so anywhere from 12-15. Again, never scored below that on FLs, even when I stupidly skipped a question.
BS was normal...nothing special, nothing too difficult. There was one orgo question, which, as an orgo major, I thought was an extremely poor question, as there were 2 correct answer choices. I felt like this went par for the course for me in BS, which would make it around a 14. Anywhere from 13-15, I suppose.
So, unless my worst-case-scenario guesses are wild overestimates, that puts me at 13/12/13 if everything went as badly as possible, which is the composite my lowest subsection scores on FLs...and is also within my happy range!
Sidenote: I am so glad I'm not doing next year's MCAT, not because of difficulty, per se, but because complex biochem pathways are just exhausting to read. That's all I got for my trial, which is odd considering that I have taken Biochem and Neuro, yes, but also tons of Psych and some Socio. I really feel that those passages were just disporportionately draining...combined with the extended length of the test? I'm glad to pass on that, not due to difficulty/score, but just due to sheer misery of taking that exam.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, so is mehc012!
As for my impressions...
PS was meh...I ended up taking almost the entire allotment of time, which I think was mostly due to triple-quadruple checking every calculation! However, the only AAMC which I took so long on was 11, where I only got a 13, so...
I honestly couldn't tell you whether it was chem or physics based...the chem tends to come easily to me, so the physics always sticks outHowever, there were 2-3 questions where I caught the trick right as I was about to move on and had to change my answer. I don't know whether that means I caught most of them and am good or whether they were trying to make things subtle and therefore I should be concerned (missing things in the question/reading is the biggest source of any wrong answers for me).
I'm thinking 13-14, as I never scored outside that range on FLs.
VR I thought was great. Most of them made sense, I had very few tossups, those that I did I eventually came to a reasonable answer by eliminating an option, etc. Finished ~20min early.
Probably a 14 by feel, but my spidey sense on VR is notoriously unreliable, so anywhere from 12-15. Again, never scored below that on FLs, even when I stupidly skipped a question.
BS was normal...nothing special, nothing too difficult. There was one orgo question, which, as an orgo major, I thought was an extremely poor question, as there were 2 correct answer choices. I felt like this went par for the course for me in BS, which would make it around a 14. Anywhere from 13-15, I suppose.
So, unless my worst-case-scenario guesses are wild overestimates, that puts me at 13/12/13 if everything went as badly as possible, which is the composite my lowest subsection scores on FLs...and is also within my happy range!
Sidenote: I am so glad I'm not doing next year's MCAT, not because of difficulty, per se, but because complex biochem pathways are just exhausting to read. That's all I got for my trial, which is odd considering that I have taken Biochem and Neuro, yes, but also tons of Psych and some Socio. I really feel that those passages were just disporportionately draining...combined with the extended length of the test? I'm glad to pass on that, not due to difficulty/score, but just due to sheer misery of taking that exam.
Seriously I think you are GODLY or something...
Like how do you become that?
I studied too. Studied my ass off but I think I won't even break a 30. Mayb a 25? or lower? Hopefully not 19?
And I swear by God, I am NOT dumb.
Like seriously how do you do this?
Im just so impressed but same time feel just so shyttt about myself.
K I will now go and cry somewhere else.
Usually I finish each section with 15-20min to spare. I read really quickly (about double the avg wpm) and for questions, I either know it, don't know it, next! Only a very few do I spend more than a few seconds on.How on earth do you finish verbal with 20 minutes to spare?
PS was bizarre today because I only had 8min left when I was done. I usually have at least 2x that.
My average time/question across all FLs was 54s, which comes out to about 144*54/60 ~=~ 2hrs, 10min.
I took more time on this one because REAL, but still...
PS: Nothing that bad, the passage about rocks had two questions I wasn't sure about but then it occurred to me that it was really just masquerading as another topic (did anyway else think that?) I'm thinking I got a 13 or maybe a 12 (AAMC average is 12.5)
VR: Nothing too crazy but it is one of my weaker subjects. Based on the AAMCs I know when I did poorly (10) so I think I scored my average of 11
BS: I know I got one orgo question wrong but other than that everything went well, in fact I felt it played to my strengths. Probably a 13 (AAMC average is about 13)
Praying for 13/11/13 but I would still be satisfied with 12/10/12. Now I just need to keep myself from going insane until scores come out
VR: Nothing too crazy but it is one of my weaker subjects. Based on the AAMCs I know when I did poorly (10) so I think I scored my average of 11
BS: I know I got one orgo question wrong but other than that everything went well, in fact I felt it played to my strengths. Probably a 13 (AAMC average is about 13)
Praying for 13/11/13 but I would still be satisfied with 12/10/12. Now I just need to keep myself from going insane until scores come out
I don't know. It's no reflection on me, and certainly no reflection on you. It seems utterly random, from my perspective. There are people who knock my socks off in this thing (think TBRBioSadist), and I don't think the difference is intelligence, or education, or effort.Seriously I think you are GODLY or something...
Like how do you become that?
I studied too. Studied my ass off but I think I won't even break a 30. Mayb a 25? or lower? Hopefully not 19?
And I swear by God, I am NOT dumb.
Like seriously how do you do this?
Im just so impressed but same time feel just so shyttt about myself.
K I will now go and cry somewhere else.
I was hitting 38 with 25% of the material left to cover, because I have always been good at standardized tests. I just have...this is the first one I have bothered to study for, tbh. I swear, it's just luck that this is one of my fortés. The same was true in undergrad...I did well on the tests, but I was still a mediocre student because I just relied on that fact. I did not do well on the FLs because I knew the material (though that helped), but because I apparently have some ability to test. Somehow there is no class on that, no textbook, yet I swear it is an academic skill of its own. Since it's never addressed, it's pretty much down to luck whether it clicks. So don't feel shyttt. Seriously, don't. These things are not a reflection of character or even effort, really. You will be fine...there's a reason why the MCAT score breakdown is the way it is, it's only natural. SDN just has a concentration of nerds combined with internet anonymity combined with a reporting bias.
Finally...we are DONE, people! My favorite part about tests is the fact that you can let it dissolve from your brain when you are done. We've been stressing and working hard for months, it's time to let the relief of being done wash over us, not stress about things we can't change!
I plan to drink heavily tonight to prevent myself from forming any memory of how I felt coming out of the exam, that way there is no benefit at all to going over and over it in my brain and I'll be forced to just let it slide until the report comes out!Is anyone else going through a roller coaster of emotions? At one second I feel as though I may have just done my aamc average and on the next breath I feel like I may have gotten a terrible score... This is going to be a rough month

Use up what time? You mean how to fill your days now that you're not studying?How do you guys recall all these questions from the exam?
I'm just trying to figure out a way to use up my time.
I have 3 things I want to do (which I should have done before, but perhaps will be more apt to now that I have ingrained some modicum of self-motivation into my habits!)
1) Play more ultimate
2) Buy Assassin's Creed and go crazy (I've heard good things)
3) There is a room in the hospital I work at full of interesting texts...I want to Anki the crap out of them in my spare time!
Now that the adrenaline/anxiety rush is finally coming down, I don't feel very well about this test at all. Felt like I made stupid mistakes compounded with incorrect guesses when trying to choose between 2 similar choices. Sigh good thing I won't need the brain cells for the rest of this week, alcohol my old friend oh how I've missed you
How on earth do you finish verbal with 20 minutes to spare?
If you haven't picked up on it by her posts she is essentially the female version of Good Will Hunting …she literally seems genius to me going by her posts.lol
Last 2 VR passages i was pressed for time, but particularly the last passage had me confused as all hell, didnt have time to read for comprehension. Retaking from last year to improve my VR from a 6. Praying for at least an 8 🙁
No, but I took 15-20min longer than on the FLs. It was a time-consuming section, for me, and I'd be shocked if I were the only one!DID ANYONE ELSE RUN OUT OF TIME ON THE PHYSICAL SCIENCES SECTION??
Yeah on the verbal I don't know how many times I had to just put a random answer and move one...one passage I had to randomly guess on every single question and only had 2 minutes left when I started the last passage. And I've consistently scored between 8 and 10 on my verbals and I seriously think I got a 1...maybe a 2 Gonna reschedule for January and spend 5 months reading Kant and the economist for 4 hours a day...
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PS: Some difficult questions but overall found it to be not that bad. Gen Chem heavy with minimal calculations. 11-12
VR: The passages were dense and very detailed, which prevented me from grasping the main concepts of a couple passages. Second half was more difficult than the first. I don't feel good about this section at all. 8-9
BS: Found this section to be the easiest. The passages were simple and easy to follow. Most of the questions came to me immediately and didn't have to think too much. Couple math problems which was odd. 12-13.
Exactly how I felt.
PS:I thought it was okay overall but I found myself rushing the last few passages because I spent too much on the first passages. On my last real mcat, I thought I bombed this section and felt so bad after but end up getting >11.
VR: Felt rushed at the second half. Very dense passages/detailed. I re-wrote the mcat multiple times due to my verbal score. I really hope this one goes well for me! I have the worst feeling right now 🙁. On my last real mcat, I thought it was really easy and I nailed it!but I end up getting a 7 (prob fell for the traps and ended changing some of my answers last minute).
BS: Also found this to be the easiest but I ended up using the entire time with 5 minutes left to double check my marked answers. I usually finish with less than 30 mins left on my AAMC exams.
Last edited:
PS: Pretty easy for the most part. There didn't seem to be a terribly difficult passage, just a few difficult questions here and there. Could have gotten anywhere from 12-14.
VR: This was the most difficult section of the test for me. Some of the passages were dense and difficult to understand and it often seemed like there was more than one correct option. I'm thinking 8-10.
BS: This wasn't too bad either. There was one passage that was very time consuming and tricky, but other than that it was fairly easy. 12-13
Best case scenario= 37 Worst case = 30
Hoping for at least a 32, so I don't have to ever take this test again. Now we wait...
VR: This was the most difficult section of the test for me. Some of the passages were dense and difficult to understand and it often seemed like there was more than one correct option. I'm thinking 8-10.
BS: This wasn't too bad either. There was one passage that was very time consuming and tricky, but other than that it was fairly easy. 12-13
Best case scenario= 37 Worst case = 30
Hoping for at least a 32, so I don't have to ever take this test again. Now we wait...
SDN just has a concentration of nerds combined with internet anonymity combined with a reporting bias.
This.
So depressed about verbal. I feel like I got a 1. What a stupid section.
I don't even remember one question from that section that I answered confidently. I couldn't even comprehend any of the damn passages Praying for a miracle
Last edited: