snoopdizzle

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
154
0
Visit site
Status
So who here is going to be Cornell Class of 2008. I'm in the class of 2007 and I'd like to meet some of you. What's up?
 

BaseballFan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
108
0
Visit site
Status
Hi, I'm WMC 2008

Can you answer a question about housing... how is it in Lasdon? Are the apartments furnished?

I have a fiance and I think that I qualify for couples housing, so I am guessing I won't be in Olin next year.

Thanks. I look forward to meeting you in the fall.
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
4,372
5
41
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
Originally posted by BaseballFan
Hi, I'm WMC 2008

Can you answer a question about housing... how is it in Lasdon? Are the apartments furnished?

I have a fiance and I think that I qualify for couples housing, so I am guessing I won't be in Olin next year.

Thanks. I look forward to meeting you in the fall.
Lasdon is pretty nice. The apts are furnished with bed, desk, dresser, bookshelves, full kitchen with frig and etc...if you want couches and stuff i believe you're on your own. if you're getting married before you move in, you'll definitely get into lasdon, but if you are merely engaged at the start of the year you can't (the housing people are sticklers on this, as a friend of mine found out). its about 1300 for the one bedroom depending on the floor you live in, a great price for NYC, and its pretty big too.
 
About the Ads

snoopdizzle

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
154
0
Visit site
Status
Yeah, they take care of you around here. I wouldn't worry about it. Many couples opt to get their own place because a 1 bedroom between two people isn't outrageous around here. This is one of the cheaper places to live in NY right now, believe it or now... for rentals.
 

someguy81

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2003
57
0
Visit site
Status
do you guys have any advice for the Cornell waitlist? Not sure how much movement there usually is year to year, but any tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks- (sorry to post in this thread)
 

hopefulsigh

New Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2004
4
0
Visit site
Status
Hi Snoopdizzle,

I am still deciding between med schools but find myself leaning towards Cornell more and more everyday. (It really is an awesome school!). I was just wondering if you could give me some info about what you think of student life, your fellow students, administration and the curricula.

Thanks so much and I look forward to meeting you and all other WMC 2008'ers during second look weekend!
 

snoopdizzle

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
154
0
Visit site
Status
Yeah, man. After the weekend I doubt there will be much decision left in your mind. Find me if I don't come across you, my name's Erich. Its a fun weekend.
 

noclouds

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2004
30
0
California
Visit site
Status
hey :) cornell revisit weekend is this weekend!

just wondering if any sdn-ers are going to be there? and are you leaving saturday or sunday?

(i'm flying out from california on a red-eye late thurday night, leaving new york sunday morning.)

also, is there a dress code for revisits weekends?

hope to see some fellow sdn-ers finally!
 

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
688
11
NYC
Status
Attending Physician, Academic Administration
noclouds said:
hey :) cornell revisit weekend is this weekend!

just wondering if any sdn-ers are going to be there? and are you leaving saturday or sunday?

(i'm flying out from california on a red-eye late thurday night, leaving new york sunday morning.)

also, is there a dress code for revisits weekends?

hope to see some fellow sdn-ers finally!

i'll be there.... on one of the panels though. it should be a good time.
there is usually no dress code -- it's an informal event, you are IN already no need to impress anybody, now it's our job to impress you to choose cornell. just bring something nice in case you hook up with a group that's going out.

have a safe trip.
-ed
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
4,372
5
41
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
i can easily be identified...my screen name=my initials. hope you kiddies are ready to partaaaay in the big apple this weekend. we'll just be finishing anatomy friday afternoon, so the 1st years will be primed to get down :thumbup:
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
4,372
5
41
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
so who on SDN do we have here coming to 69th street in august? did I meet any of you kids at 2nd look? Lets talk kiddies, I don't want to study micro right now :p

konichiwa, bitches
 

babyface

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2002
89
0
California
Visit site
Status
Bump...wassup fellow Cornellians! Who's excited about this fall! I know I am! woo hoo! I'm a little scared about moving into Olin Hall though...just not a big fan about the common kitchen and its small size rooms. But definitely can't beat the price for a room on the upper east side! Thank you Sandy and Joan!

Rumors have it that there's an alternating gunner/slacker class pattern and last year was the super duper gunner year.....you know what that means? hehe.....who is down for some fun night life in the Big Apple? :D
 

missmod

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2002
191
0
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
Hi all!!

I'll be at Cornell next year and I have to say, it's kinda exciting to get these housing forms, etc. in the mail. A question for current Cornell students--After the first year, do most students move out of Olin Hall into Lasdon? If so, do 2 people share a 1 bedroom or do 2 people share a 2 bedroom apt. Although the rent is still a great deal for the location, its a HUGE increase for the $500/mo at Olin.

Anybody have any info on cAMP (is this supposed to be a play off of biochem material???... :eek: ) and the other orientation program? I'm gonna be out of the country starting June 15 so I don't think I'll be around to read future mailings.

Looking forward to seeing replies... :oops:
 
About the Ads

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
4,372
5
41
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
missmod said:
Hi all!!

I'll be at Cornell next year and I have to say, it's kinda exciting to get these housing forms, etc. in the mail. A question for current Cornell students--After the first year, do most students move out of Olin Hall into Lasdon? If so, do 2 people share a 1 bedroom or do 2 people share a 2 bedroom apt. Although the rent is still a great deal for the location, its a HUGE increase for the $500/mo at Olin.

Anybody have any info on cAMP (is this supposed to be a play off of biochem material???... :eek: ) and the other orientation program? I'm gonna be out of the country starting June 15 so I don't think I'll be around to read future mailings.

Looking forward to seeing replies... :oops:
pretty much everyone moves into lasdon after their first year in olin hall, except for a small handful of people who don't mind Olin and stay to save a lil money. Space is a little tighter these days with Cornell housing because of renovations in lasdon so not as many studios are available, and most of the first year class will be living in 3 bedroom apts in lasdon. I wouldn't say lasdon is "much" more expensive (rent goes from 490 to 630-650)...that includes free utilities, your own kitchen, bathroom, bigger rooms...all things considered, thats still cheap to me (a matter of opinion, obviously). Also, this area of NYC has suprisingly "cheap" rent, so if you had a couple friends who want to get off campus, you can find walkups that aren't that much more expensive than lasdon, but i digress.

I didn't do cAMP last year (and yes, it is a nerdy play on words of cyclic AMP :p ), but I've heard its a great experience regardless of your prior outdoors experience. We've got some really good people in our class running it for the 2008ers so I'm sure it will be a success. The urban experience runs parallel with cAMP for those non nature loving students who want to explore NYC for a few days in some structured activities, dinners, scavenger hunts, maybe a yankees game, its all being planned as we speak. The two groups meet up on tuesday night for the boat ride around manhattan, or as I refer to it the "booze cruise" :p

any questions about coming to cornell, you know how to find me. look forward to seeing you guys in the fall :D
 

acab

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
331
2
Visit site
Status
Count me in! I'm really excited.

I have 2 questions for those who know:

1. I've heard that the grading for PBL classes is very subjective and the H/P/F system breeds tough competition. How subjective is the grading? Any insights?

2. Can you guys shed some light on the international summer program and the md with honors in research?

Thanks a lot.
 

indianboy

Call me, Baby.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2002
292
0
Deeznuts (Clever?)
Status
1. I've heard that the grading for PBL classes is very subjective and the H/P/F system breeds tough competition. How subjective is the grading? Any insights?
--

Hope that Helps

P 'I'll cut you for AOA' ShankOut
 

wishfulthinking

New Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
5
0
Visit site
Status
I'm really really excited to be going to cornell this august. I met so many amazing people during second look weekend and I can't wait to go back. I had a quick question for those of you already out there. For tranportation, do most people pay per trip for the subway/bus rides, or do they buy an unlimited month pass?
 

babyface

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2002
89
0
California
Visit site
Status
DW said:
Space is a little tighter these days with Cornell housing because of renovations in lasdon so not as many studios are available, and most of the first year class will be living in 3 bedroom apts in lasdon.
Wait a minute, DW. Do you mean us 1st years are going to be living in Ladson this fall? I just got my housing packet and they didn't say anything like that...hmmm.....can you elaborate? Thanks
 

missmod

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2002
191
0
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
wishfulthinking said:
I'm really really excited to be going to cornell this august. I met so many amazing people during second look weekend and I can't wait to go back. I had a quick question for those of you already out there. For tranportation, do most people pay per trip for the subway/bus rides, or do they buy an unlimited month pass?
monthly passes are only worth it if you travel twice a day (like most working people) but I doubt I'm going to do it that much. Back when I used to live here, I used to buy the daily unlimited pass when I knew that I would travel more than twice in one day (It used to be 4 dollars, vs. $1.50 per ride) Now that the prices have increased, I usually just pay per trip. A way to cheat the system tho: I take the subway wherever I want to go, then I take the bus back. That way my bus ride back is a transfer and I save myself 2 bucks. Heh. :oops:
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
4,372
5
41
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
babyface said:
Wait a minute, DW. Do you mean us 1st years are going to be living in Ladson this fall? I just got my housing packet and they didn't say anything like that...hmmm.....can you elaborate? Thanks
whoops...i meant "most of the CURRENT first years (i.e. our class)" will be moving to lasdon this fall. sorry to get your hopes up, you're stuck in olin this year :p
 

edj80

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
11
0
Status
Hi. I am looking forward to joining everybody at Cornell this August. I wanted to know if anyone can share some info about the differences in the cAMP and urban orientation programs such as which one gets the better reviews from students, which one attracts the most participation, and cost differences. I know official information is coming in the upcoming months, but I am trying to finalize moving arrangements and need to know what date I will need to be on campus to move in. Thanks!
 

Habari

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2003
483
1
Status
Hi. I am looking forward to joining everybody at Cornell this August. I wanted to know if anyone can share some info about the differences in the cAMP and urban orientation programs such as which one gets the better reviews from students, which one attracts the most participation, and cost differences. I know official information is coming in the upcoming months, but I am trying to finalize moving arrangements and need to know what date I will need to be on campus to move in. Thanks!
i didn't go to the camping program, but it definately got the best reviews - everyone loved it. highly recommended; i can't recall the price differences but it shouldn't be terribly expensive [it is mostly subsidized]. you'll have 4 years of an 'urban experience' - but the people who are organizing it should be better than last year.
 

babyface

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2002
89
0
California
Visit site
Status
Hey guys,

Just got the packet for the 2 orientation options, and I must say, the cAMP trip looks fantastic! No doubt that we'll have a blast in Upstate. Anybody else joining me in cAMP? I'll bring the beer :D
 

kwanny

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2003
656
0
Cali
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Aight. Just trying to assess my nill chances here...

What do you think are the chances that one of you would withdraw between now and the orientation?
 

edj80

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
11
0
Status
Kwanny-
There is another month until school starts, which means anything is possible. Personally, I am set on Cornell, but I don't know about the other students on the current roster. I am keeping my fingers crossed that one of the schools you are waiting for will come through.
 

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
9
38
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys,

I'll be at cAMP. The only school that i'm still waiting for is Yale, although even if I were to somehow get accepted, I would still most likely go to Cornell. So i'll see you guys at orientation!
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
4,372
5
41
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
missmod said:
A way to cheat the system tho: I take the subway wherever I want to go, then I take the bus back. That way my bus ride back is a transfer and I save myself 2 bucks. Heh. :oops:
:laugh: I just tried this cause I had to go to the DMV on 125th street (6 uptown, M15 bus back) and it worked!!! I felt like such a slimy cheapskate, but on a med student budget in NYC, you do what ya gotta do :p
 

acab

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
331
2
Visit site
Status
babyface said:
Hey guys,

Anybody else joining me in cAMP? I'll bring the beer :D
I'm also psyched by the cAMP trip. I was a bit taken aback when reading the email with the trip details/equipment. No alcohol, drugs or cigarettes allowed whatsoever. If found with any of those, the student will be taken back to NYC to deal with the dean. Were they serious?

I can understand the drugs part. Although I don't smoke and really dislike the smell, what if there's a heavy smoker among us? Wasn't that pushing it a bit too far? What about a beer to chill after hiking the whole day!? I felt like a kid in high school.
 

babyface

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2002
89
0
California
Visit site
Status
acab said:
I'm also psyched by the cAMP trip. I was a bit taken aback when reading the email with the trip details/equipment. No alcohol, drugs or cigarettes allowed whatsoever. If found with any of those, the student will be taken back to NYC to deal with the dean. Were they serious?

I can understand the drugs part. Although I don't smoke and really dislike the smell, what if there's a heavy smoker among us? Wasn't that pushing it a bit too far? What about a beer to chill after hiking the whole day!? I felt like a kid in high school.

Yeah, pretty interesting policy there...considering the folks who are going on the urban experience orientation will be doing nothing but drinkin! Come on! "Yankees game" and "NYC nightlife" are just code words for booze, booze, and mo booze! Maybe it's more for our safety or liability issues, I guess. Oh well, we'll still have from the Tuesday to Sunday to have that beer I suppose...who's down =)
 
About the Ads