Official DAT Destroyer Q&A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densaugeo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, since I'm currently going through the DAT Destroyer and I'm sure many of you guys are as well I felt this thread would be helpful. I usually have various questions while going through Destroyer regarding why a certain answer choice is correct or other times I am in need of a more detailed explanation.

Instead of making multiple threads each time we have questions, I thought we could just post them here and anyone can chime in with an explanation or further clarification.

Please don't post entire questions as that would be a violation of copyright. You can ask specific questions regarding a particular problem in the Destroyers.

Hopefully others find this a useful thread. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Dr Romano,

For Q300 on the Bio DAT Destroyer (2017) please could you explain why this genotypic ratio of 2:1 means a lethal gene? I'm having a hard time understanding why. Thank you !

Hello Dr Romano,

For Q300 on the Bio DAT Destroyer (2017) please could you explain why this genotypic ratio of 2:1 means a lethal gene? I'm having a hard time understanding why. Thank you !

If Two heterozygotes are crossed, Say Aa with Aa,,,,,,,what do you get ? You can do the cross and you get AA Aa Aa aa, this is 1:2:1.........but if a lethal gene was aa for example, our 2:1 ratio would be explained.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

If Two heterozygotes are crossed, Say Aa with Aa,,,,,,,what do you get ? You can do the cross and you get AA Aa Aa aa, this is 1:2:1.........but if a lethal gene was aa for example, our 2:1 ratio would be explained.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano
ah ok, so it just would've never been expressed? I think that makes sense, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
having trouble understanding the language in the 2016 Destroyer bio section #109;
the question is: a homologous chromosomal pair failed to separate during meiosis I of anaphase. the resulting cells would be:
answers : A) n-1,n-1,n+1,n+1
B) n+1,n-1,n,n
c) n,n,n,n+1
d)n-1,n-1,n,n
e)n+1,n+1,2n,2n

the solutions say the answer is A , but i don't understand the lingo of the answer choices, please help !

Hello Dr Romano,

Q.305 of the Bio Dat Destroyer (2017), the statement that r-RNA, m-RNA and t-RNA are produced in transcription is correct. However, I thought only mRNA is produced in transcription?

Hello Dr Romano,

Q.305 of the Bio Dat Destroyer (2017), the statement that r-RNA, m-RNA and t-RNA are produced in transcription is correct. However, I thought only mRNA is produced in transcription?
Transcription is the first step in decoding a cell's genetic information. During transcription, enzymes called RNA polymerases build RNA molecules that are complementary to a portion of one strand of the DNA double helix ... RNA molecules differ from DNA molecules in several important ways: They are single stranded rather than double stranded; their sugar component is a ribose rather than a deoxyribose; and they include uracil (U) nucleotides rather than thymine (T) nucleotides . Also, because they are single strands, RNA molecules don't form helices; rather, they fold into complex structures that are stabilized by internal complementary base-pairing.

A schematic shows a single strand of DNA beside a single strand of RNA. Both strands are composed of a linear arrangement of nucleotides that resemble the teeth of a comb. Each of the four types of nucleotides is represented by a different color. Where a red-colored nucleotide appears on the DNA molecule, a yellow nucleotide appears on the RNA molecule (thus there are no red nucleotides on the RNA molecule). DNA (top) includes thymine (red); in RNA (bottom), thymine is replaced by uracil (yellow) © 2009 Nature Education All rights reserved. View Terms of Use Three general classes of RNA molecules are involved in expressing the genes encoded within a cell's DNA. Messenger RNA (mRNA) molecules carry the coding sequences for protein synthesis and are called transcripts; ribosomal RNA (rRNA) molecules form the core of a cell's ribosomes (the structures in which protein synthesis takes place); and transfer RNA (tRNA) molecules carry amino acids to the ribosomes during protein synthesis. In eukaryotic cells, each class of RNA has its own polymerase, whereas in prokaryotic cells, a single RNA polymerase synthesizes the different class of RNA. Other types of RNA also exist but are not as well understood, although they appear to play regulatory roles in gene expression and also be involved in protection against invading viruses. mRNA is the most variable class of RNA, and there are literally thousands of different mRNA molecules present in a cell at any given time. Some mRNA molecules are abundant, numbering in the hundreds or thousands, as is often true of transcripts encoding structural proteins. Other mRNAs are quite rare, with perhaps only a single copy present, as is sometimes the case for transcripts that encode signaling proteins. mRNAs also vary in how long-lived they are. In eukaryotes, transcripts for structural proteins may remain intact for over ten whereas transcripts for signaling proteins may be degraded in less than ten minutes.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

For Question 28. of Math Destroyer 2017 Test 12, I don't understand how to simplify this to get answer E, the farthest I got was to combine the 2 terms (by multiplying 1 by the denominator) and ended up getting stuck at:

(a - a^2) / (1 + a - a^2)

Not sure how to go from there, thanks!

Transcription is the first step in decoding a cell's genetic information. During transcription, enzymes called RNA polymerases build RNA molecules that are complementary to a portion of one strand of the DNA double helix ... RNA molecules differ from DNA molecules in several important ways: They are single stranded rather than double stranded; their sugar component is a ribose rather than a deoxyribose; and they include uracil (U) nucleotides rather than thymine (T) nucleotides . Also, because they are single strands, RNA molecules don't form helices; rather, they fold into complex structures that are stabilized by internal complementary base-pairing.

A schematic shows a single strand of DNA beside a single strand of RNA. Both strands are composed of a linear arrangement of nucleotides that resemble the teeth of a comb. Each of the four types of nucleotides is represented by a different color. Where a red-colored nucleotide appears on the DNA molecule, a yellow nucleotide appears on the RNA molecule (thus there are no red nucleotides on the RNA molecule). DNA (top) includes thymine (red); in RNA (bottom), thymine is replaced by uracil (yellow) © 2009 Nature Education All rights reserved. View Terms of Use Three general classes of RNA molecules are involved in expressing the genes encoded within a cell's DNA. Messenger RNA (mRNA) molecules carry the coding sequences for protein synthesis and are called transcripts; ribosomal RNA (rRNA) molecules form the core of a cell's ribosomes (the structures in which protein synthesis takes place); and transfer RNA (tRNA) molecules carry amino acids to the ribosomes during protein synthesis. In eukaryotic cells, each class of RNA has its own polymerase, whereas in prokaryotic cells, a single RNA polymerase synthesizes the different class of RNA. Other types of RNA also exist but are not as well understood, although they appear to play regulatory roles in gene expression and also be involved in protection against invading viruses. mRNA is the most variable class of RNA, and there are literally thousands of different mRNA molecules present in a cell at any given time. Some mRNA molecules are abundant, numbering in the hundreds or thousands, as is often true of transcripts encoding structural proteins. Other mRNAs are quite rare, with perhaps only a single copy present, as is sometimes the case for transcripts that encode signaling proteins. mRNAs also vary in how long-lived they are. In eukaryotes, transcripts for structural proteins may remain intact for over ten whereas transcripts for signaling proteins may be degraded in less than ten minutes.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

Thank you for explaining !

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, How do we classify an algae and a lichen. I'm having trouble getting to a definite conclusion, especially for the lichen. I know lichen is part fungi but the other half confuses me. Thanks!

Hi, How do we classify an algae and a lichen. I'm having trouble getting to a definite conclusion, especially for the lichen. I know lichen is part fungi but the other half confuses me. Thanks!
Okay, so an algae is a protist. It is photosynthetic and eukaryotic, and an example is seaweed.
"Lichen" is the name given to the association between an algae and a fungi
So, algae and fungi are found in separate kingdoms, but when they come together they are called a lichen.

For Question 28. of Math Destroyer 2017 Test 12, I don't understand how to simplify this to get answer E, the farthest I got was to combine the 2 terms (by multiplying 1 by the denominator) and ended up getting stuck at:

1- 1/[1+a/(1-a)] <--- combined these two into 1 fraction
1- 1/[(1-a+a)/(1-a)] <--- just canceled out these two terms
1- 1/[1/1-a] <---- flipped this fraction up (aka multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator)
1 -- (1-a) <--- distributed this negative
1- 1 + a <-- canceled the ones
= a ---> answer E
Hope this helps :)

having trouble understanding the language in the 2016 Destroyer bio section #109;
the question is: a homologous chromosomal pair failed to separate during meiosis I of anaphase. the resulting cells would be:
B) n+1,n-1,n,n
c) n,n,n,n+1
d)n-1,n-1,n,n
e)n+1,n+1,2n,2n

the solutions say the answer is A , but i don't understand the lingo of the answer choices, please help !
So 2n is diploid number, and n is haploid number. Haploid number results after meiosis. In meiosis, nondisjunction (failure of separating) in either anaphase I or II can cause issues in the resulting daughter cells.
If it occurs in anaphase I:
parent cell (2 homologous chrom together): XX
nondisjunct. in ana I: XX & O
normal ana II: 4 daughter cells: X & X & O & O
Their numbers would then be: n+1, n+1, n-1, n-1
Hence, the answer is A.

Choice B would occur if nondisjunction occurred in anaphase II.

B) n+1,n-1,n,n
c) n,n,n,n+1
d)n-1,n-1,n,n
e)n+1,n+1,2n,2n

I had it spaced apart to see it clearer, but I guess SDN doesn't keep those extra spaces, so here is a pic:
upload_2017-8-24_20-44-36.png

Hope I was able to help! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so an algae is a protist. It is photosynthetic and eukaryotic, and an example is seaweed.
"Lichen" is the name given to the association between an algae and a fungi
So, algae and fungi are found in separate kingdoms, but when they come together they are called a lichen.
The algae part of the lichen is the blue-green algae which is a Cyanobacteria. If I'm not wrong, it's not the protist algae, it's the bacterial algae (Cyanobacteria)

It is a symbiotic relationship. Algae provide energy (produced by photosynthesis) for the lichens, while lichens provide nutrients and Anchorage (protection) for the algae. Lichens, are fungi.
Hope this helps.

I'm not really sure how you got that answer.

Attached is a picture of the solution.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• sdn.jpg
    sdn.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 46
B) n+1,n-1,n,n
c) n,n,n,n+1
d)n-1,n-1,n,n
e)n+1,n+1,2n,2n

You must understand the concept of nondisjunction in order to pick the correct answer. I think the picture included will clear all of the confusion. Look at the results of nondisjunction happening at Meiosis 1. The result is a cell with less chromosomes and a cell with an extra chromosomes.

Attachments

• bio.png
    bio.png
    542.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hello, can anyone explain to me why a vinylic proton would be further downfield than a proton attached to a fluorine? I thought due to the strong electronegativity the proton would as a result have a strong partial positive charge and thus be further to the left on the HNMR Spectrum?

You have asked a question that is not needed for the DAT exam, but I will assume you have some understanding of the NMR principles and answer it for you..... The signal due to a proton neighboring a F will be around 4.5 . Electron density is reduced at neighboring hydrogens through an inductive effect which decreases the electron shielding of the nucleus. As a consequence of this deshielding, the shifts appear downfield. The vinylic proton appears at 4.5 to as much as 6.4......Two effects are at work..1. Inductive .....2 The effect of the pi electrons of the double bond. These electrons create a magnetic field that ADDS to the magnetic field where the hydrogens reside....this along with the sp2 carbon withdrawing further electron density DESHIELDS the proton to a greater extent than just a fluorine.....This now requires a reduced magnetic filed to bring the hydrogen into resonance,,,,,, this reduced field is reflected in a larger NMR number. The bottom line is this......The double bond deshields the proton more than fluorine or even a nitro group.........thus the interaction with the magnetic field of the NMR machine is a bit different.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano
Thank you Dr Romano! I had come across this question on a DAT bootcamp orgo test

Hello, can anyone explain to me why a vinylic proton would be further downfield than a proton attached to a fluorine? I thought due to the strong electronegativity the proton would as a result have a strong partial positive charge and thus be further to the left on the HNMR Spectrum?
You have asked a question that is not needed for the DAT exam, but I will assume you have some understanding of the NMR principles and answer it for you..... The signal due to a proton neighboring a F will be around 4.5 . Electron density is reduced at neighboring hydrogens through an inductive effect which decreases the electron shielding of the nucleus. As a consequence of this deshielding, the shifts appear downfield. The vinylic proton appears at 4.5 to as much as 6.4......Two effects are at work..1. Inductive .....2 The effect of the pi electrons of the double bond. These electrons create a magnetic field that ADDS to the magnetic field where the hydrogens reside....this along with the sp2 carbon withdrawing further electron density DESHIELDS the proton to a greater extent than just a fluorine.....This now requires a reduced magnetic filed to bring the hydrogen into resonance,,,,,, this reduced field is reflected in a larger NMR number. The bottom line is this......The double bond deshields the proton more than fluorine or even a nitro group.........thus the interaction with the magnetic field of the NMR machine is a bit different.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Hello Dr. Romano,
For question 120 on Chemistry Destroyer 2017, I almost got to the answer and left it as H2NO3+ + HSO4-. How would we know to remove water from H2NO3+? And if there was an answer choice as H2NO3+ + HSO4- would it be considered wrong? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello Dr. Romano,
For question 120 on Chemistry Destroyer 2017, I almost got to the answer and left it as H2NO3+ + HSO4-. How would we know to remove water from H2NO3+? And if there was an answer choice as H2NO3+ + HSO4- would it be considered wrong? Thank you!
H2NO3+ is very unstable. As a nice rule of thumb, an intermediate almost always loses a gaseous specie or water if it is able to..... This is a very famous and commonly seen reaction, so be on the lookout for questions like this.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

H2NO3+ is very unstable. As a nice rule of thumb, an intermediate almost always loses a gaseous specie or water if it is able to..... This is a very famous and commonly seen reaction, so be on the lookout for questions like this.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano
Oh ok that makes sense. Thank you!

Hello Dr Romano,
For Q.154 DAT Destroyer (2017) Gen Chem, im a little confused as to why Ch3Sh is a better nucleophile than Ch3Ch2OH. In a previous question (151) the reason SeH-Benzene is a stronger acid/thus weaker base, is because the large atomic radius of the Se is better able to spread the negative charge thus stabilizing. Here in Q154, the solution says that 'S is larger than O' is a reason why CH3Sh is a better nucleophile/better meaning less stable/more reactive? So im confused why the larger sulfur atom is now making it a better nucleophile, rather than stabilizing negative charge to make it less reactive and more stable? Thanks

Hello Dr Romano,
For Q.154 DAT Destroyer (2017) Gen Chem, im a little confused as to why Ch3Sh is a better nucleophile than Ch3Ch2OH. In a previous question (151) the reason SeH-Benzene is a stronger acid/thus weaker base, is because the large atomic radius of the Se is better able to spread the negative charge thus stabilizing. Here in Q154, the solution says that 'S is larger than O' is a reason why CH3Sh is a better nucleophile/better meaning less stable/more reactive? So im confused why the larger sulfur atom is now making it a better nucleophile, rather than stabilizing negative charge to make it less reactive and more stable? Thanks
. As far as nuclephilicity goes,,,,, as we move down a group the atom is getting larger, and less electronegative. Thus,,,,,down a group...we generally increase BOTH acidity and nucleophilicity. The anion is more stable, hence the compound will be more acidic. For example, and alcohol has a pKa of 16, a thiol is about 10....a Selenol about 7......For nucleophilicity, there are a few reasons. The simplest one is that an S- has more loosely held electrons than an O- nucleophile. With more loosely held electrons, we are able to use these for attacking purposes !!!!! Don't confuse more stabilized with more loosely held ! Bottom line is this.....for acidity....think anion stability......For nucleophilicity think more loosely held electrons.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano....keep up the great work

. As far as nuclephilicity goes,,,,, as we move down a group the atom is getting larger, and less electronegative. Thus,,,,,down a group...we generally increase BOTH acidity and nucleophilicity. The anion is more stable, hence the compound will be more acidic. For example, and alcohol has a pKa of 16, a thiol is about 10....a Selenol about 7......For nucleophilicity, there are a few reasons. The simplest one is that an S- has more loosely held electrons than an O- nucleophile. With more loosely held electrons, we are able to use these for attacking purposes !!!!! Don't confuse more stabilized with more loosely held ! Bottom line is this.....for acidity....think anion stability......For nucleophilicity think more loosely held electrons.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano....keep up the great work
Great!! Thank you :)

Hi @orgoman22 for number 517 in the Biology portion of destroyer, I'm kind of confused between the chemoheterotrophs option, and chemoautotrophs option. From what I understand Chemoheterotrophs break down organic substances such as glucose, protein, lipids to get their energy, so its the same thing as a regular heterotroph. For the chemoautotroph it says they only need CO2 as a carbon source, do they break that down as normal autotrophs to create sugar or do they only break down NH3, H2S, Sulfur, and Fe+2? Can't understand the difference between chemoautrophs and normal autotrophs basically.

Hi @orgoman22 for number 517 in the Biology portion of destroyer, I'm kind of confused between the chemoheterotrophs option, and chemoautotrophs option. From what I understand Chemoheterotrophs break down organic substances such as glucose, protein, lipids to get their energy, so its the same thing as a regular heterotroph. For the chemoautotroph it says they only need CO2 as a carbon source, do they break that down as normal autotrophs to create sugar or do they only break down NH3, H2S, Sulfur, and Fe+2? Can't understand the difference between chemoautotrophs and normal autotrophs basically.
Chemoautotrophs simply use CO2 to build their Organic compounds. They do not break down organic compounds for energy. They use CO2 as a Carbon source. Chemoautotrophs are autotrophs. They derive their energy from other chemical reactions (i.e photosynthesis) involving inorganic compounds.

Hope this helps.

Chemoautotrophs simply use CO2 to build their Organic compounds. They do not break down organic compounds for energy. They use CO2 as a Carbon source. Chemoautotrophs are autotrophs. They derive their energy from other chemical reactions (i.e photosynthesis) involving inorganic compounds.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! Would something like the example from 397 be considered a chemoautotroph the purple or green bacteria?

how much IR, NMR, and mass spec is on the atual DAT ? these topics are stressing me out because i can remember all the values for IR , and the graphs look weird to me.... please and thank you

how much IR, NMR, and mass spec is on the atual DAT ? these topics are stressing me out because i can remember all the values for IR , and the graphs look weird to me.... please and thank you

These topics are VERY important for the DAT exam. You need to review Mass Spec, IR, H NMR, C13 NMR, as well as UV spec. Laboratory activities such as TLC, Distillation, and extraction are also helpful. For a wonderful review of these areas, I suggest the David Klein text.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

Hello Dr Romano,
Q479 of the Bio DAT Destroyer 2017, the solution mentions that after gastrulation is when evidence of cell differentiation can be observed. Im just wondering, is there any cell differentiation observed during the blastocyst stage before gastrulation? I read a while back that there is some differentiation of cells here, mainly cause of the trophoblasts and inner cell mass. But I dont want to take this as a fact without professional approval !!!

Hello Dr Romano,
Q479 of the Bio DAT Destroyer 2017, the solution mentions that after gastrulation is when evidence of cell differentiation can be observed. Im just wondering, is there any cell differentiation observed during the blastocyst stage before gastrulation? I read a while back that there is some differentiation of cells here, mainly cause of the trophoblasts and inner cell mass. But I dont want to take this as a fact without professional approval !!!
Yes. There is a very small amount of differentiation observed at this stage.

Dr. Romano

Hello Dr. Romano,
On question 255 of Organic Chemistry Destroyer 2017, would it be safe to assume all smaller ortho para groups direct more ortho than para compared to a larger ortho para group? Thank you!

Hello Dr. Romano,
On question 255 of Organic Chemistry Destroyer 2017, would it be safe to assume all smaller ortho para groups direct more ortho than para compared to a larger ortho para group? Thank you!
No.....that is not such a " safe " rule. For the DAT exam, remember that when a CH3 group is on the ring, there will be a slight bias toward the ortho isomer....usually 55% vs 45%. If we stay " small", such as a Chloro group, we have a bias towards the para isomer. Here is the bottom line......For the DAT exam, assume the para isomer predominates when dealing with activating substituents except for a CH3 group. Great question, keep up the great work.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

No.....that is not such a " safe " rule. For the DAT exam, remember that when a CH3 group is on the ring, there will be a slight bias toward the ortho isomer....usually 55% vs 45%. If we stay " small", such as a Chloro group, we have a bias towards the para isomer. Here is the bottom line......For the DAT exam, assume the para isomer predominates when dealing with activating substituents except for a CH3 group. Great question, keep up the great work.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano
Oh ok, Ill keep that in mind. Thank you!

Hello, ive come across some conflicting answers between DAT Bootcamp and DAT Qvault bio softwares, I was hoping someone could clarify it for me. So the question on bootcamp is "Which of the following is the source of energy for the synthesis of small organic molecules that predated the earliest forms of life?" the correct answer is lightning. But another answer choice was 'geothermal vents' to which has been listed as a wrong answer. DAT Qvault also has a similar question, "Which of the following energy sources has not been associated with the formation of the primordial soup?" the answer solution says, "Lightning, UV radiation from the sun, and heat from geothermal vents have all been proposed as possible energy sources in the formation of the primordial soup". So here DAT Qvault are saying that geothermal vents ARE a source of energy and bootcamp says its NOT. Im so confused!!! does anyone know??

Hello Dr Romano,

for Q178 on the DAT Destroyer Gen Chem (2017), I dont understand why the final volume isnt 68ml. If 20mL of Ca(OH)2 is being added to 48mL of HBR, would the final volume not be 68mL?

Hello Dr. Romano, On question 324 of Organic Chemistry Destroyer 2017, we have a tertiary Carbon so why are we doing Sn2?

Hello Dr. Romano, On question 324 of Organic Chemistry Destroyer 2017, we have a tertiary Carbon so why are we doing Sn2?
Whoa, Whoa, Look again, this is a secondary carbon, not a tertiary carbon. We have a strong nucleophile and a polar aprotic solvent, a perfect storm for an Sn2 reaction.

Dr. Romano

I think its because there is a very strong nucleophile CN- and in a Polar Aprotic solvent. Both factors favor and Sn2 even though its a tertiary halide. A strong nucleophile wouldnt do an SN1....this is what I think

Hello Dr Romano,

for Q178 on the DAT Destroyer Gen Chem (2017), I dont understand why the final volume isnt 68ml. If 20mL of Ca(OH)2 is being added to 48mL of HBR, would the final volume not be 68mL?

The problem is asking for the concentration of HBr that is needed to neutralize 20ml of 0.012M Ca(OH)2 solution, examine the formula in the solution.....Va is the volume of the acid, NOT the final solution volume.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

I think its because there is a very strong nucleophile CN- and in a Polar Aprotic solvent. Both factors favor and Sn2 even though its a tertiary halide. A strong nucleophile wouldnt do an SN1....this is what I think
First off, this compound is called 2-iodobutane...it is clearly a SECONDARY halide.NOT a TERTIARY halide ...... As I explained above, this STRONG nucleophile does SN2, all the conditions support the SN2.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Dat Destroyer 2017
Orgo Q111
I know D2 will add syn, I just don't understand why they are both in the axial position
Shouldn't it be one axial and one equatorial and both are down? Or does that have to do with the bridge so we have endo rule?
Thanx.

Dat Destroyer 2017
Orgo Q111
I know D2 will add syn, I just don't understand why they are both in the axial position
Shouldn't it be one axial and one equatorial and both are down? Or does that have to do with the bridge so we have endo rule?
Thanx.
First of all, axial and equatorial are terms we reserve to a cyclohexane ring. This ring is not cyclohexane. H2, or D2 approach the catalytic surface of the metal much like a rocket ship landing on the moon. During the approach, the hydrogens or deuterons are added from the same face. In this problem, the bottom was the easier path.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

This shows a nice representation. The Ds or Hs were added from the same side.

sdn pic.jpg

Last edited:
Hello @orgoman22 . So I just finished going over content and have moved on to attacking actual problems. I have begun with the Organic Chemistry Odyssey. I'm looking at question #30 Chapter 1. Pretty basic stuff but I'm not sure why option (a) is one of the answers. Where is the ionic character to this compound? I see the formal charges you have assigned to each molecule but I only see non-metals. Am I missing a metal? or misunderstanding