OFFICIAL Financial Aid Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since search function is down, i'd thought i create another ubiquitous official thread.... :D

For Fafsa, do we check "graduate or professional degree" for the degree type (#29)

Members don't see this ad.

I also have a question...when u file fafsa, they figure out the expected family contribution. is this like undergrad where ur parents still have to contribute money? i was hoping to take out everything in loans or scholarships...my parents have already forked over $135,000 for undergrad; i don't want to ask them for any more money...

Originally posted by athena21
I also have a question...when u file fafsa, they figure out the expected family contribution. is this like undergrad where ur parents still have to contribute money? i was hoping to take out everything in loans or scholarships...my parents have already forked over $135,000 for undergrad; i don't want to ask them for any more money...

i'm not sure about that but my understanding is that they don't have to do it and u could get it in loans. however, i've visited schools (forogot which one) that mentioned that they'll generally give more institutional grants if the parents contributed money. jefferson's online financial aid form for example, asks how much ur parents are willing to contribute. i'll prob put $0, but i'll contact the fao on monday first.

Members don't see this ad :)
for fafsa worksheet, questions 82-84, i'm under the impression that parents' house doesn't count, right? i.e. equity in the house doesn't apply to fafsa?

Guys, don't forget we have an entire forum devoted to financial aid. There is a thread in there full of links to old FA threads and any helpful info.

With that, I'm moving this thread over there....