OFFICIAL FSU Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else on the waitlist at FSU?!?! I have checked all the threads about waitlists and noone else lists Florida State Univ. as one of the waitlists they are on. It would really suck if I was alone on the waitlist!
Also if you are on their waitlist, did you send a LOI or a thank you letter to your interviewers?
FSU is my top choice and I am going bonkers over whether I'll get in or not.
Is anyone dropping FSU, or am I doomed to waitlist pergatory forever!?!?

Members don't see this ad.

When did you interview? I interviewed at FSU on 3/4 but spring break was the week directly after it, and I haven't heard anything yet. I figure that since today is the first day back at school after the break I may hear something today.

I interviewed on 2/25 and heard back on 3/2. Good luck on your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an answer to your LOI question. I actually discussed this with one of my interviewers, and believe it or not, she had never heard of this practice and didn't think it would have any effect on admission.

Good luck on your admission too. I know that their last interview date is this coming Friday. With a lot of the other medical schools sending out their acceptances, I am sure that the waitlist will begin to move soon.

bmcgilligan said:
I have an answer to your LOI question. I actually discussed this with one of my interviewers, and believe it or not, she had never heard of this practice and didn't think it would have any effect on admission.

Good luck on your admission too. I know that their last interview date is this coming Friday. With a lot of the other medical schools sending out their acceptances, I am sure that the waitlist will begin to move soon.

To answer your question; according to last friday's interview day (3/11 I believe) FSU is looking to fill 80 seats in their Class of 2009. Currently they have already filled the class with 88 acceptances extended. Therefore everyone after that has been interviewing for waitlist spots (therefore you are not the only one ;) ). However, with interviews coming to a close and people starting to make decisions about where they want to go, the waitlist will begin to move. FSU is predicting that they will extend ~140 acceptances total to fill the class. Keep your head up and Good Luck.

jay426k said:
To answer your question; according to last friday's interview day (3/11 I believe) FSU is looking to fill 80 seats in their Class of 2009. Currently they have already filled the class with 88 acceptances extended. Therefore everyone after that has been interviewing for waitlist spots (therefore you are not the only one ;) ). However, with interviews coming to a close and people starting to make decisions about where they want to go, the waitlist will begin to move. FSU is predicting that they will extend ~140 acceptances total to fill the class. Keep your head up and Good Luck.

Did you interview on the 11th?

bmcgilligan said:
Did you interview on the 11th?

No I'm an MS1 here. I hosted that day.

How is FSU? I graduated in 03 and I haven't been back south since they finished the school. The pictures looked nice though..

jay426k said:

You da man Jay! That is great news and the 140 inspires hope for me. :D

I am now on the waitlist too. I found out that their waitlist isn't ranked, so I have no clue how they pick people on it once an acceptee turns down acceptance.

bmcgilligan said:
I am now on the waitlist too. I found out that their waitlist isn't ranked, so I have no clue how they pick people on it once an acceptee turns down acceptance.

That's interesting, so if its not ranked, then do they go Alphabetically of Chronologically by date of interview, or is it a random lottery type system? :confused:
Either way, I'm still happy with the 140 figure, it means that I have a shot, hopefully.

Anyone know how many people they interview for those 80 spots, this year. I know last year's figure was 106 interviewed for 46 spots.

tazdevil52 said:
That's interesting, so if its not ranked, then do they go Alphabetically of Chronologically by date of interview, or is it a random lottery type system? :confused:
Either way, I'm still happy with the 140 figure, it means that I have a shot, hopefully.

Anyone know how many people they interview for those 80 spots, this year. I know last year's figure was 106 interviewed for 46 spots.

Actually they interviewed about 160 people for about 60 spots. This year I believe the number of interviews was around 250-300, but I'm not 100% positive.

jay426k said:
Actually they interviewed about 160 people for about 60 spots. This year I believe the number of interviews was around 250-300, but I'm not 100% positive.

Know how many acceptances they offered for those 60 spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
jay426k said:

I did a little math...

At my interview, there were 10 interviewees. I looked back at SDN's interview feedback section and the first entry for an interview this year was on 8/27/04 (for an early decision spot). If you count all of the Fridays from that point until the last Friday in March (and don't count Nov 26th for Thanksgiving time or Dec 24 or 31 due to Holidays) then there are 28 weeks of interviews. So it looks like there could have been as many as 280 interview offers extended.

Evidently there have been some people rejected post-interview (per MDapplicants.com), so hopefully the waitlist isn't too too long.

bmcgilligan said:
I did a little math...

At my interview, there were 10 interviewees. I looked back at SDN's interview feedback section and the first entry for an interview this year was on 8/27/04 (for an early decision spot). If you count all of the Fridays from that point until the last Friday in March (and don't count Nov 26th for Thanksgiving time or Dec 24 or 31 due to Holidays) then there are 28 weeks of interviews. So it looks like there could have been as many as 280 interview offers extended.

Evidently there have been some people rejected post-interview (per MDapplicants.com), so hopefully the waitlist isn't too too long.

Damn girl!! I'm impressed, thanks for the figures, help in guaging our chances.

That was cool, great job! :thumbup:

Thanks.

But I do need to edit my number. Evidently they aren't interviewing tomorrow because they are dedicating the building. Soooo, the number goes down to as many as 270. :)

Are you going to go for that open house this weekend? Which I guess is also for the building dedication.

I haven't decided yet. I would like to. Are you going? Do you think being there and talking to people might help get me off the list?

I'm not sure either if I am going. I was thinking about going for the same reason, but I don't know if it will help me or not. It could be viewed as eager, or it could be viewed as annoying. It's anybody's guess.

you should go for yourself to see how the building finished up

ghgi8 said:
you should go for yourself to see how the building finished up

I saw the finished building when I went for the interview, but I was waitlisted post-interview, and we were discussing if I went for the open house/building dedication, and spoke with some of the people while there, if it would help getting off the waitlist.

I was just accepted off the waitlist this morning via phone call at around 9:30 EST. YIPPEE!!!!

I have finally decided to join the SDN Forum after reading many posts. I am also anxiously awaiting a response from FSU. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one. I interviewed in January and FSU is my number ONE choice. Thanks for opening this forum!!! :love:

Time to bump this thread, the April 15th deadline just passed and the waitlist should begin to move now.