tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
Is anyone else on the waitlist at FSU?!?! I have checked all the threads about waitlists and noone else lists Florida State Univ. as one of the waitlists they are on. It would really suck if I was alone on the waitlist!
Also if you are on their waitlist, did you send a LOI or a thank you letter to your interviewers?
FSU is my top choice and I am going bonkers over whether I'll get in or not.
Is anyone dropping FSU, or am I doomed to waitlist pergatory forever!?!?
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When did you interview? I interviewed at FSU on 3/4 but spring break was the week directly after it, and I haven't heard anything yet. I figure that since today is the first day back at school after the break I may hear something today.
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
I interviewed on 2/25 and heard back on 3/2. Good luck on your acceptance.
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have an answer to your LOI question. I actually discussed this with one of my interviewers, and believe it or not, she had never heard of this practice and didn't think it would have any effect on admission.

Good luck on your admission too. I know that their last interview date is this coming Friday. With a lot of the other medical schools sending out their acceptances, I am sure that the waitlist will begin to move soon.
 

jay426k

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
52
0
Status
bmcgilligan said:
I have an answer to your LOI question. I actually discussed this with one of my interviewers, and believe it or not, she had never heard of this practice and didn't think it would have any effect on admission.

Good luck on your admission too. I know that their last interview date is this coming Friday. With a lot of the other medical schools sending out their acceptances, I am sure that the waitlist will begin to move soon.

To answer your question; according to last friday's interview day (3/11 I believe) FSU is looking to fill 80 seats in their Class of 2009. Currently they have already filled the class with 88 acceptances extended. Therefore everyone after that has been interviewing for waitlist spots (therefore you are not the only one ;) ). However, with interviews coming to a close and people starting to make decisions about where they want to go, the waitlist will begin to move. FSU is predicting that they will extend ~140 acceptances total to fill the class. Keep your head up and Good Luck.
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jay426k said:
To answer your question; according to last friday's interview day (3/11 I believe) FSU is looking to fill 80 seats in their Class of 2009. Currently they have already filled the class with 88 acceptances extended. Therefore everyone after that has been interviewing for waitlist spots (therefore you are not the only one ;) ). However, with interviews coming to a close and people starting to make decisions about where they want to go, the waitlist will begin to move. FSU is predicting that they will extend ~140 acceptances total to fill the class. Keep your head up and Good Luck.
Did you interview on the 11th?
 

frostybrandx

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
30
0
38
Status
How is FSU? I graduated in 03 and I haven't been back south since they finished the school. The pictures looked nice though..
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
jay426k said:
To answer your question; according to last friday's interview day (3/11 I believe) FSU is looking to fill 80 seats in their Class of 2009. Currently they have already filled the class with 88 acceptances extended. Therefore everyone after that has been interviewing for waitlist spots (therefore you are not the only one ;) ). However, with interviews coming to a close and people starting to make decisions about where they want to go, the waitlist will begin to move. FSU is predicting that they will extend ~140 acceptances total to fill the class. Keep your head up and Good Luck.
You da man Jay! That is great news and the 140 inspires hope for me. :D
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am now on the waitlist too. I found out that their waitlist isn't ranked, so I have no clue how they pick people on it once an acceptee turns down acceptance.
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
bmcgilligan said:
I am now on the waitlist too. I found out that their waitlist isn't ranked, so I have no clue how they pick people on it once an acceptee turns down acceptance.
That's interesting, so if its not ranked, then do they go Alphabetically of Chronologically by date of interview, or is it a random lottery type system? :confused:
Either way, I'm still happy with the 140 figure, it means that I have a shot, hopefully.

Anyone know how many people they interview for those 80 spots, this year. I know last year's figure was 106 interviewed for 46 spots.
 

jay426k

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
52
0
Status
tazdevil52 said:
That's interesting, so if its not ranked, then do they go Alphabetically of Chronologically by date of interview, or is it a random lottery type system? :confused:
Either way, I'm still happy with the 140 figure, it means that I have a shot, hopefully.

Anyone know how many people they interview for those 80 spots, this year. I know last year's figure was 106 interviewed for 46 spots.
Actually they interviewed about 160 people for about 60 spots. This year I believe the number of interviews was around 250-300, but I'm not 100% positive.
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
jay426k said:
Actually they interviewed about 160 people for about 60 spots. This year I believe the number of interviews was around 250-300, but I'm not 100% positive.
Know how many acceptances they offered for those 60 spots.
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jay426k said:
Actually they interviewed about 160 people for about 60 spots. This year I believe the number of interviews was around 250-300, but I'm not 100% positive.
I did a little math...

At my interview, there were 10 interviewees. I looked back at SDN's interview feedback section and the first entry for an interview this year was on 8/27/04 (for an early decision spot). If you count all of the Fridays from that point until the last Friday in March (and don't count Nov 26th for Thanksgiving time or Dec 24 or 31 due to Holidays) then there are 28 weeks of interviews. So it looks like there could have been as many as 280 interview offers extended.

Evidently there have been some people rejected post-interview (per MDapplicants.com), so hopefully the waitlist isn't too too long.
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
bmcgilligan said:
I did a little math...

At my interview, there were 10 interviewees. I looked back at SDN's interview feedback section and the first entry for an interview this year was on 8/27/04 (for an early decision spot). If you count all of the Fridays from that point until the last Friday in March (and don't count Nov 26th for Thanksgiving time or Dec 24 or 31 due to Holidays) then there are 28 weeks of interviews. So it looks like there could have been as many as 280 interview offers extended.

Evidently there have been some people rejected post-interview (per MDapplicants.com), so hopefully the waitlist isn't too too long.
Damn girl!! I'm impressed, thanks for the figures, help in guaging our chances.

That was cool, great job! :thumbup:
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks.

But I do need to edit my number. Evidently they aren't interviewing tomorrow because they are dedicating the building. Soooo, the number goes down to as many as 270. :)
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
Are you going to go for that open house this weekend? Which I guess is also for the building dedication.
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I haven't decided yet. I would like to. Are you going? Do you think being there and talking to people might help get me off the list?
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
I'm not sure either if I am going. I was thinking about going for the same reason, but I don't know if it will help me or not. It could be viewed as eager, or it could be viewed as annoying. It's anybody's guess.
 

ghgi8

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
162
0
Status
you should go for yourself to see how the building finished up
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
ghgi8 said:
you should go for yourself to see how the building finished up
I saw the finished building when I went for the interview, but I was waitlisted post-interview, and we were discussing if I went for the open house/building dedication, and spoke with some of the people while there, if it would help getting off the waitlist.
 

bmcgilligan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
214
1
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was just accepted off the waitlist this morning via phone call at around 9:30 EST. YIPPEE!!!!
 

J1B2M3

New Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2005
1
0
Status
I have finally decided to join the SDN Forum after reading many posts. I am also anxiously awaiting a response from FSU. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one. I interviewed in January and FSU is my number ONE choice. Thanks for opening this forum!!! :love:
 
OP
tazdevil52

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
Time to bump this thread, the April 15th deadline just passed and the waitlist should begin to move now.