Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedWonk

高飛車
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy new year and welcome to the year of the snake (soon!). Time to welcome in a fresh new year of busting our ***es on our road to becoming physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

deleted

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Review of Harvard Extension:

The positive aspects about HES are that you get genuine Harvard credentials. Fixsen is quite responsive, whether in person or over email. HES offers fantastic and unparalleled preparation for the MCAT - you cannot beat that!! You get to live in the Cambridge area. There are many opportunities for shadowing, volunteer work, hospital work, etc. There are also some unexpected positives. Like, you don't need a car, some apartments actually let you rent without a deposit and without a lease, the dating scene is superb, it is a perfect town to find a life partner. Or like the condensed Jan semester which many Harvard students take advantage of. And on any given day, you can find a talk by a Nobel prize winning economist or a world-famous poet or a prominent politician or someone else at Harvard or the Kennedy School or elsewhere in the Harvard system. I wish more HES students took advantage of such opportunities. On any given day you can find free food at Harvard (http://events.college.harvard.edu/ and check free food). I spend Decembers and summers with my sister at Harvard and I eat FREE every day somewhere in Boston or at Harvard. Most HCP students don't even know of such opportunities. Free food saves a lot on expenses! If you like Arts, you cannot be in a better city! Check out http://ofa.fas.harvard.edu/cal/. Harvard has about 100 libraries! Harvard Medical School has over 11,860 professors. 11,860 professors!!! Of which 8,924 are full time. (http://hms.harvard.edu/content/facts-figures-0#numbers)

On the negative side, my sister and her friends constantly bitch about how HES and Harvard do not treat Extension students well. If you go down and talk to one of the advisors or deans on Brattle, you will know because they treat you like ****. There is one Black lady who is one of the dean of students - she absolutely hates HES students. There are also many annoyances you need to put up with at HES. The only bathroom in Sever Hall stinks to high heavens, the computer staff treat you like ****, if you print on only one side of the page the annoying white lady with a foreign accent in Grossman computer lab screams at you. The very tall, bald guy who mans the computer lab in Grossman is an exception - he looks white but he is actually a Black dude - because he is about the only HES employee who is nice. You also cannot print more than 20 pages at one time, Grossman library is as tiny as a matchbox, you cannot even borrow books from Grossman library which is the only library for HES students, the computer lab in Grossman - try to squeeze to the upper level on those stairs if you work out because it is even smaller than a matchbox, the two scanners in Grossman - try to get them to work, the other computer facility on Church Street is just as bad, try going into one of the other Harvard libraries, try calling 495-8400 which other Harvard students get to use to get a free ride back home, try getting a letter of recommendation on Harvard letterheads from your professors, or try getting an on-campus apartment at Harvard - I could go on and on. Like you may spend 7 years at Harvard Extension getting an ALB but you will see the insides of only 3 or 4 buildings - that dirty Sever, Brattle, Science Center and one or two others for your finals. One girl was stuck in Sever's elevator during her final when she took a break to use the bathroom. That elevator takes forever and forever but that day it broke down and she was trapped inside for over an hour. The professor said, no way, you won't get a make-up final and after the fire department let her out, she had to go in to take the rest of the final but had only about 10 minutes left. She complained to the deans but nothing came out of it. Don't take the elevator in Sever when you have your exams!!

But their biggest complaint is how HES absolutely murders your transcript with B's and C's and how many, many dreams of law school, PhD school, MD school and MBA programs are killed when HES professors, clearly under instruction from the HES admin, give you B's, C's and D's. You see, HES' ALB degree is a Harvard degree, so they make you "pay your dues" and the only way they know to make you earn Harvard credentials (ALB) is by assigning insane amount of work and murdering your transcript with B's and C's. And by writing very luke-warm recommendation letters to even someone who gets straight A's. Don't get a letter from any ALB professor at Harvard!!!!!! The rumor is HES faculty are instructed by the HES admin to NOT write strong letters and by all indication those rumors are true.

If you go to HES, your chances of getting into medical school actually get significantly diminished because HES deliberately murders your transcript.

Columbia has the School of General Studies that sounds better than "Extension" although it is the same as Extension. But SGS students are treated well and integrated into the Columbia community. If you want Ivy League credentials, get one from the SGS instead of HES.

Harvard Extension School: being mean to students, only giving you 20 pages of free printing per print job, trapping people in elevators, and intentionally destroying people's graduate school dreams since 1909.

Review of Harvard Extension:

The positive aspects about HES are that you get genuine Harvard credentials. Fixsen is quite responsive, whether in person or over email. HES offers fantastic and unparalleled preparation for the MCAT - you cannot beat that!! You get to live in the Cambridge area. There are many opportunities for shadowing, volunteer work, hospital work, etc. There are also some unexpected positives. Like, you don't need a car, some apartments actually let you rent without a deposit and without a lease, the dating scene is superb, it is a perfect town to find a life partner. Or like the condensed Jan semester which many Harvard students take advantage of. And on any given day, you can find a talk by a Nobel prize winning economist or a world-famous poet or a prominent politician or someone else at Harvard or the Kennedy School or elsewhere in the Harvard system. I wish more HES students took advantage of such opportunities. On any given day you can find free food at Harvard (http://events.college.harvard.edu/ and check free food). I spend Decembers and summers with my sister at Harvard and I eat FREE every day somewhere in Boston or at Harvard - been doing this for 4 years now. Most HCP students don't even know of such opportunities. Free food saves a lot on expenses! If you like Arts, you cannot be in a better city! Check out http://ofa.fas.harvard.edu/cal/. Harvard has about 100 libraries! Harvard Medical School has over 11,860 professors. 11,860 professors!!! Of which 8,924 are full time. (http://hms.harvard.edu/content/facts-figures-0#numbers)

On the negative side, my sister and her friends constantly bitch about how HES and Harvard do not treat Extension students well. If you go down and talk to one of the advisors or deans on Brattle, you will know because they treat you like ****. There is one Black lady who is one of the dean of students - she absolutely hates HES students. There are also many annoyances you need to put up with at HES. The only bathroom in Sever Hall stinks to high heavens, the computer staff treat you like ****, if you print on only one side of the page the annoying white lady with a foreign accent in Grossman computer lab screams at you. The very tall, bald guy who mans the computer lab in Grossman is an exception - he looks white but he is actually a Black dude - because he is about the only HES employee who is nice. You also cannot print more than 20 pages at one time, Grossman library is as tiny as a matchbox, you cannot even borrow books from Grossman library which is the only library for HES students, the computer lab in Grossman - try to squeeze to the upper level on those stairs if you work out because it is even smaller than a matchbox, the two scanners in Grossman - try to get them to work, the other computer facility on Church Street is just as bad, try going into one of the other Harvard libraries, try calling 495-8400 which other Harvard students get to use to get a free ride back home, try getting a letter of recommendation on Harvard letterheads from your professors, or try getting an on-campus apartment at Harvard - I could go on and on. Oh and the hand sanitizers in Sever are always dry. Why do I keep talking about Sever?? Because you may spend 8 years at Harvard Extension getting an ALB, that's at least how long most people take, but you will see the insides of only 3 or 4 buildings - that dirty Sever for the most part, Brattle, Science Center and one or two others for your finals. One girl was stuck in Sever's elevator during her final when she took a break to use the bathroom. That elevator takes forever and forever but that day it broke down and she was trapped inside for over an hour. The professor said, no way, you won't get a make-up final and after the fire department let her out, she had to go in to take the rest of the final but had only about 10 minutes left. She complained to the deans but nothing came out of it. Don't take the elevator in Sever when you have your exams!!

But their biggest complaint is how HES absolutely murders your transcript with B's and C's and how many, many dreams of law school, PhD school, MD school and MBA programs are killed when HES professors, clearly under instruction from the HES admin, give you B's, C's and D's. You see, HES' ALB degree is a Harvard degree, so they make you "pay your dues" and the only way they know to make you earn Harvard credentials (ALB) is by assigning insane amount of work and murdering your transcript with B's and C's. And by writing very luke-warm recommendation letters to even someone who gets straight A's. Don't get a letter from any ALB professor at Harvard!!!!!! The rumor is HES faculty are instructed by the HES admin to NOT write strong letters and by all indication those rumors are true.

If you go to HES, your chances of getting into medical school actually get significantly diminished because HES deliberately murders your transcript.

Columbia has the School of General Studies that sounds better than "Extension" although it is the same as Extension. But SGS students are treated well and integrated into the Columbia community. If you want Ivy League credentials, get one from the SGS instead of HES.

g133703323791035288.jpg

Yes. HES has been totally murdering my transcript with A's and A-'s with a couple B+'s for good measure, boosting my cGPA to a 3.5 and my sGPA to a 3.6, leaving me with a post-bacc GPA of 3.7, while two of my HES profs whom I have a good rapport with had the audacity to allegedly write me strong LORs. I'm totally boned, brah.

Harvard Extension School: being mean to students, only giving you 20 pages of free printing per print job, trapping people in elevators, and intentionally destroying people's graduate school dreams since 1909.

All that and more for the low, low price of two bushels of wheat!

Hey guys! I've been lurking these boards for awhile now. Graduated this past year with a degree in Philosophy and some volunteer experience has inspired me to pursue my dream of being a doctor. I am very interested in the HCP, however, I am uncertain of the financial aid situation. I have taken 1st semester Physics and both Cal I and II. I believe that this disqualifies me for the diploma. Does this mean that I will not be able to qualify for federal loans?

Hey guys! I've been lurking these boards for awhile now. Graduated this past year with a degree in Philosophy and some volunteer experience has inspired me to pursue my dream of being a doctor. I am very interested in the HCP, however, I am uncertain of the financial aid situation. I have taken 1st semester Physics and both Cal I and II. I believe that this disqualifies me for the diploma. Does this mean that I will not be able to qualify for federal loans?

You can still qualify if you're an admitted student. You can still be admitted to the Health Careers Program without being qualified to receive the diploma, so go ahead and apply. I'm in HCP, but not receiving the diploma. Not sure what the extra perks of a diploma are, but I haven't had any trouble having access to things I need on campus.

Not sure if policy has changed or not, but you will receive financial aid over only one calendar year (some consecutive combination of Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters). After that, you pay out-of-pocket/use leftover loan money.

Thanks for the swift reply. That eases my concern a bit. I am hoping to knock out my pre-reqs in one calendar year. Considering taking Gen Chem in the summer and then OChem and Bio Fall/Spring. That seems like an odd policy to only allow aid for one year, especially considering it will take most two years to complete these types of programs. This applies to PLUS loans as well, I'm assuming?

EDIT: I'm also going to tack on Phsy II in the spring.

Hi,

Could anyone clear up some confusion regarding the application process for the HES? I've seen conflicting information online, and HES website isn't entirely clear.

Do you register, start taking classes, and THEN apply to the program, and qualify for sponsorship?
Or, do you apply for acceptance into the program BEFORE registering for classes?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the benefits of earning the Diploma in Premedical Studies rather than just participating in the Health Careers Program and earning sponsorship? I need to take all of the pre-reqs, for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw out there!

Hi,

Could anyone clear up some confusion regarding the application process for the HES? I've seen conflicting information online, and HES website isn't entirely clear.

Do you register, start taking classes, and THEN apply to the program, and qualify for sponsorship?
Or, do you apply for acceptance into the program BEFORE registering for classes?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the benefits of earning the Diploma in Premedical Studies rather than just participating in the Health Careers Program and earning sponsorship? I need to take all of the pre-reqs, for reference.

In order to be in the Health Careers program, you just need to be accepted into the program by August 31st the year before you apply to med school. source: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/degrees-certificates/health-careers/admission

That means you could take classes at HES and then apply. HES is open enrollment, so no one would stop you from registering. However, this is a risky strategy for being in the HCP because there are no promises that you would get in, and taking a year of classes and then finding out you are not eligible for the HCP would be bad (if you want sponsorship or loans or whatever). It would be better to know up front. This means I would recommend applying before you start classes.

If you need to take all your pre-reqs at HES through the HCP, definitely apply to the diploma program within the HCP. You would do this by just contacting the office and telling them that you want to take part.

The diploma candidate perks are nice: harvard ID card, access to all the libraries and many campus buildings, ability to join the gym, etc. It definitely does not hurt to be in the diploma thing, so if you are eligible, I would recommend it. Being able to study hassle-free at any library year round is nice.

The only downside of the diploma program is that you are locked in to taking all your pre-req classes at HES. I don't see this as a downside, but I know that some people like to take a class or two at other institutions. hope this helped.

Hi,

Generally, its best to apply before you begin. You can sign up for classes and then apply for the following year if you like (assuming you are planning the 2 year route). If you know you want to be in the program for sure, then it makes sense to apply first so that if you dont get accepted you dont waste your time. I think that the people who wait a year generally do so because they missed the application deadline.

I did not earn the diploma, but I believe it gives you card access to the gym and all the libraries. No one I knew was earning the diploma; I'm not sure how popular it is.

Thanks for the swift reply. That eases my concern a bit. I am hoping to knock out my pre-reqs in one calendar year. Considering taking Gen Chem in the summer and then OChem and Bio Fall/Spring. That seems like an odd policy to only allow aid for one year, especially considering it will take most two years to complete these types of programs. This applies to PLUS loans as well, I'm assuming?

EDIT: I'm also going to tack on Phsy II in the spring.

Just a warning. The second semesters of orgo (according to many) and physics are no joke. Taking both, in addition to Bio, is going to be intellectually demanding.

What else are you planning on doing during your weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Harvard Extension is best summed up by LizzyM's post #40 in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=974144

Read what LizzyM has to say first, before you choose Harvard Extension.
You are an idiot

No one has ever claimed that HES = Harvard regular

And she never explicitly mentioned HES as being one of the "easy to get in, hard to stay in" programs. You just assumed that cos you are looking for ammo to bash HES wherever you go.

Quit trolling and go back to listening to Hiliary Duff

So anyway ... grades usually come out a day or two early from the actual date. Is it just me or does it seem like we have to wait longer this semester to get our grades?

Just a warning. The second semesters of orgo (according to many) and physics are no joke. Taking both, in addition to Bio, is going to be intellectually demanding.

I really liked second semester of physics and the labs. The electrostatics lab with the styrofoam puffs was pretty awesome. Even building the circuits with light bulbs. But if you can really understand Prof. Rueckner's optics demos then I consider you a genius because it was like watching a Las Vegas magic show. Don't miss his lectures this next semester!!! Overloading the capacitor with current, fireworks!!!

Is the word on the street that second semester of organic chemistry harder than the first?

So anyway ... grades usually come out a day or two early from the actual date. Is it just me or does it seem like we have to wait longer this semester to get our grades?

Hasn't the turnaround always been two to three weeks?

It's definitely longer. Or at least it feels that way

I really liked second semester of physics and the labs. The electrostatics lab with the styrofoam puffs was pretty awesome. Even building the circuits with light bulbs. But if you can really understand Prof. Rueckner's optics demos then I consider you a genius because it was like watching a Las Vegas magic show. Don't miss his lectures this next semester!!! Overloading the capacitor with current, fireworks!!!

Is the word on the street that second semester of organic chemistry harder than the first?

Keep in mind I have not taken the class yet, but from what I've gathered and been told.

The second semester is harder and much more. . . relentless. Logan, while supposedly an amazing professor, does not hold your hand. Information comes fast and furiously.

Keep in mind I have not taken the class yet, but from what I've gathered and been told.

The second semester is harder and much more. . . relentless. Logan, while supposedly an amazing professor, does not hold your hand. Information comes fast and furiously.

That's what I've heard as well.

I think Harvard Extension is best summed up by LizzyM's post #40 in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=974144

Read what LizzyM has to say first, before you choose Harvard Extension.

LizzyM was talking about programs in general, not HES per se. Plus, I have no reason to believe she knows anything special about HES.

I actually agree with you that HES is tough, but I think you forget that many folks here are highly capable of succeeding. It's important to consider not only how difficult the courses are, but who is taking the courses. Many of us have a track record of success, are very highly motivated because we need to do well, or come from top undergrad schools that had similarly rigorous courses. We're not unmotivated freshman looking for an easy A. To be honest, I've taken much more difficult courses at my undergrad school.

If you're going to evaluate HES/HCP, I challenge you to provide an evaluation of the pre-med/pre-heath courses. We really don't care about how many ALB students become doctors! Isn't this thread found under post bacc programs? People want to know whether it's possible to succeed in Gen Chem, Bio, Physics, Orgo, maybe a few other courses like A&P, Biochem, etc. We really don't care how hard other obscure HES courses are, or find it interesting what percent of all HES students have a GPA above X.

As far as the courses above, so far I can comment on Gen Chem and Bio. I actually thought Gen Chem was a relatively easy course, and many people I spoke with were getting A's on their exams. Some people were even walking out of exams an hour early. Tucci does not provide stats on % of A's, but anecdotally at least several of my peers had above 93% walking into the final. Also, as much as some of the exams were difficult, many people were getting perfect scores on labs and high pset scores to offset this. I honestly did not feel this course was any more difficult than what I would have experienced at a state school. In some regards, it was even easier than my high school math classes.

Bio, on the other hand, I will maintain was a difficult class, and I was a bit displeased with the way it was curved. But the mean grade in the class was supposedly still a B, and half the class was scoring higher than that. Also, I haven't taken physics, but according to others, 50% of students in that class get an A- or above. (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=879243&highlight=Physics&page=3)
That's about as fair as a course can be IMO.

If you want to evaluate HES/HCP or steer people in the right direction, I also challenge you to use evidence or statistics as much as possible. It's very easy for people's individual experiences to get in the way. I'm really sorry, noncon, if you had a bad experience here, but it's not worth ruining it for the rest of us. At the same time, if anybody is looking for easy A's in all of their pre-med courses, I would not go here.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm looking to take some upper div bio courses next semester. I've taken physio during college, and have taken and done well in neuro and immuno. Has anyone taken Genetics of Human Disease and/or Principles and Techniques of Molecular Biology? I work in a molecular biology lab, but am unsure of the ease of the professor (Alain Viel).

If you want to evaluate HES/HCP or steer people in the right direction, I also challenge you to use evidence or statistics as much as possible.

Only 33% of those in the HCP get into medical school - this is after considering the drop out rate. Nationwide, the % is 44%, if I recall correctly. This is what Fixsen told me 2 years ago. In his video, he mentions the % getting into med school is the same % as at any other school - again, after considering the drop out rate. If HCP students are so superlative and HCP grading is fair, tell me, why aren't more people getting into medical schools? The real reasons are transcript damage and bad letters.

HCP and Harvard Summer school provide probably the world's best preparation for the MCAT because they are so grueling. But it is not worth destroying your transcript and end up with luke warm letters.

I am interested to know what Jennet has to say, given that she was once the biggest supporter of HCP but now said she is seriously considering transferring elsewhere.

Anyway, I have said all there is to say, and will not waste my time or yours by writing again.

Last edited:
Only 33% of those in the HCP get into medical school - this is after considering the drop out rate. Nationwide, the % is 44%, if I recall correctly. This is what Fixsen told me 2 years ago. In his video, he mentions the % getting into med school is the same % as at any other school - again, after considering the drop out rate. If HCP students are so superlative and HCP grading is fair, tell me, why aren't more people getting into medical schools? The real reasons are transcript damage and bad letters.

HCP and Harvard Summer school provide probably the world's best preparation for the MCAT because they are so grueling. But it is not worth destroying your transcript and end up with luke warm letters.

I am interested to know what Jennet has to say, given that she was once the biggest supporter of HCP but now said she is seriously considering transferring elsewhere.

Anyway, I have said all there is to say, and will not waste my time or yours by writing again.

Thanks for responding. I didn't mean to imply that all HCP students are "superlative." Among the students who begin HCP, it's probably the case that many have sub-par GPAs (by med school standard) from undergrad given the lenient entry requirements, and perhaps they did not have the tools to succeed in difficult science classes. You can't use that statistic to say the HCP lowered their med school admission chances. If anything it gave them a fighting chance to prove they can do well in tough courses. Many do end up proving they can do well by working hard. You are right, though. Some people do drop out here. But among those people who drop out, we do not even know that they dropped out strictly because their GPAs were being damaged, and we do not know if they went on to med school through other means. Some people drop out because work is too demanding.

So I guess we'll see you again in a couple months under a different handle with more rants against HES, especially ALB?

I usually never feed the trolls but I'm too curious not to ask. I think somewhere you said you're a freshman in college. Why were you talking to Fixsen 2 years ago?

What's the over/under for number of days before noncon is booted? 5 days?

YMMV, but I found second-semester to be a little bit easier overall. I picked up on the concepts faster, and I thought the hourly exams were easier. OTOH, I thought the PSets were tougher, and the final exam was brutal. He does move quite quickly in lecture, and his handwriting is also a little bit messy. He says he's working on the handwriting.

So I guess we'll see you again in a couple months under a different handle with more rants against HES, especially ALB?

I usually never feed the trolls but I'm too curious not to ask. I think somewhere you said you're a freshman in college. Why were you talking to Fixsen 2 years ago?

What's the over/under for number of days before noncon is booted? 5 days?

Noncon may actually have some useful information since he seems to do so much research on HES. I just don't see the point in him saying his sister did this or that, being blatantly racist, or hiding behind fake aliases. Seriously man, if you took courses here and have an experience to share, just tell us that. I mean I did find your statistics kind of interesting, and it's not like I think HCP is perfect. I just don't want people spreading crap across these boards because I'm working my butt off to succeed here.

If people are doing that, they need to remember this is against SDN policy. I would encourage SDN mods to periodically kick out people who use multiple handles.

Noncon may actually have some useful information since he seems to do so much research on HES.

I had a relative who was a junior level admin at HES until about three years ago. So much of my information is indeed second-hand but very reliable and accurate.

ConcernTrollisConcerned.jpg

You sound concerned.

Almost as concerned as you were when you posted the same troll last year. You should really think about switching up your repertoire. Perhaps a visit to Fark is in order, because it's clear you've lost your trolling edge.

As far as your statisticals and claims of "transcript damage" are concerned:
wikipedian_protester.png

I went to the talk and the percentage of HCPers getting into medical school is much higher, more than double the percentage being thrown around by noncon. Don't feed the troll. He's probably butthurt from having to drop classes at HES and now has so much time to put on this charade.

Alright I don't want to argue with you, although I am still interested in what Jennet has to say. After all I have given potential HCP-ers enough info. to avoid making the worst error of their life - if they still choose HCP, they deserve a damaged transcript. So let's talk about something more exciting. Who do you think is the most attractive professor at HES? My vote goes to Prof. P.K. Newby - she is prettier than almost all girls at HES. Teaches From Farm to Fork these days.

Thanks for the warning! Interestingly enough, I have already taken the Phys II lab back in the day (I am aware that it is a package deal at HES). I started my undergrad as a Physics major and was swept up by philosophy and german so I put that dream on the back burner. I consider myself to have a fairly strong physics/math background. I do admit, however, that I have no background in bio, so that may be a challenge. I plan on doing some volunteer work and shadowing during my free time and perhaps working a part time job. I think, if I could find one, a job requiring 20 hours a week would not be too much alongside these courses.

Thoughts?

I went to the talk and the percentage of HCPers getting into medical school is much higher, more than double the percentage being thrown around by noncon.

That talk is available for all on YouTube. I don't want to post a private HES link for all to see though. The % of HCPers after dropouts is what I have mentioned. Those who are considering HES and wanting to verify that the % is really lower than other schools are always welcome to e-mail William Fixsen at [email protected]. Why is Jennet quiet now -she was the one most vocal about how great HCP is. And yes, HCP IS great, the world's best MCAT prep, a Harvard name - but do you want a Harvard Health Careers diploma, which Fixsen will tell you is not a real degree, and end up with damaged transcripts, bad letters and not being able to get into medical school?

What you said was not true. When I attended the orientation, the Dr. Fixsen said that 80% of the students in the HCP got into a medical school. I'm sure he counted MD and DO, but he did say 80%. That's a pretty high percentage if you ask me and much higher than 33%...Stop spreading false information. There are plenty of people who drop out, since Harvard HCP is not hard to be accepted into, but for the people who stay in the program, I'm sure about 80% of students get into medical school. I've seen the caliber of the students firsthand, and there seems to be a huge gap between those who can handle it, and those who can't. I got all A's last semester taking chemistry and physics while maintaining a full time job, so it is doable, albeit very difficult.

It looks like you have something in it for Harvard Extension HCP. I'm sure if you can't handle HCP now, you won't be able to handle medical school.

Last edited:
What you said was not true. When I attended the orientation, the Dr. Fixsen said that 80% of the students in the HCP got into a medical school. I'm sure he counted MD and DO, but he did say 80%. That's a pretty high percentage if you ask me and much higher than 33%...Stop spreading false information. There are plenty of people who drop out, since Harvard HCP is not hard to be accepted into, but for the people who stay in the program, I'm sure about 80% of students get into medical school. I've seen the caliber of the students firsthand, and there seems to be a huge gap between those who can handle it, and those who can't. I got all A's last semester while maintaining a full time job, so it is doable, albeit very difficult.

It looks like you have something in it for Harvard Extension HCP.

You are lying outright. Nevertheless, caveat emptor. Students wanting to join HCP need to ask Dr. Fixsen about the % that get into medical school and he will confirm what I have said. If not, they deserve damaged transcripts!!!!

What you said was not true. When I attended the orientation, the Dr. Fixsen said that 80% of the students in the HCP got into a medical school. I'm sure he counted MD and DO, but he did say 80%. That's a pretty high percentage if you ask me and much higher than 33%...Stop spreading false information. There are plenty of people who drop out, since Harvard HCP is not hard to be accepted into, but for the people who stay in the program, I'm sure about 80% of students get into medical school. I've seen the caliber of the students firsthand, and there seems to be a huge gap between those who can handle it, and those who can't. I got all A's last semester while maintaining a full time job, so it is doable, albeit very difficult.

It looks like you have something in it for Harvard Extension HCP.

~80% acceptance is for those that apply for and are granted sponsorship through HCP, which is not everyone.

You are lying outright. Nevertheless, caveat emptor. Students wanting to join HCP need to ask Dr. Fixsen about the % that get into medical school and he will confirm what I have said. If not, they deserve damaged transcripts!!!!

Not true. I went to the HCP orientation during the summer, and that is what he had said. He didn't say that it was going to be a walk in the park. He said it was going to be very difficult, but those people who make through it and still are in HCP, 80% get accepted.

There are many people who drop out after the first exam, but there are also plenty who stay, likewise. You don't want to be one of those who drop out. If you can't handle it, don't take it.

I went into the classes thinking it was going to be easy. Now that the semester is over, it changed my mind completely about the level of difficulty in this class. I still did extremely well in each class (got a 98-99 average in both,) but it was not easy at all. I did not attend an Ivy League college either, but rather a state school. I do not consider myself really smart or anything, but I can provide proof that Harvard Extension isn't impossible and you are likely to do well as long as you work hard.

Last edited:
Of course, that's why I said HCP...not Harvard Extension by itself.

Not all those who are in HCP pursue or are granted sponsorship. Some go through their undergrad institutions and there can be an MCAT minimum to sponsorship.

Not all those who are in HCP pursue or are granted sponsorship. Some go through their undergrad institutions and there can be an MCAT minimum to sponsorship.

Correct, but HCP director told me that it was pointless to get sponsorship if your school already has a health careers office who can give you sponsorship. The only difference is that you get a committee letter from HCP. You can still get recommendations from your professors at Harvard Extension and submit them to your health careers office at your college.

Correct, but HCP director told me that it was pointless to get sponsorship if your school already has a health careers office who can give you sponsorship. The only difference is that you get a committee letter from HCP. You can still get recommendations from your professors at Harvard Extension and submit them to your health careers office at your college.

Thats true, but if you go through your undergrad college and you were in HCP, the program has no idea if you end up in med school. All I'm saying is that the 80% refers only to a subset of HCP students who choose to apply for and are granted sponsorship, its not a generic acceptance number encompassing all HCP-ers.

Thats true, but if you go through your undergrad college and you were in HCP, the program has no idea if you end up in med school. All I'm saying is that the 80% refers only to a subset of HCP students who choose to apply for and are granted sponsorship, its not a generic acceptance number encompassing all HCP-ers.

Agreed. I would assume most people who apply to HCP are going through their sponsorship. There's no point in applying to HCP if you're not doing sponsorship. You might as well apply as a Harvard Extension student. Otherwise, you're just wasting $100 for the application fee and not using any of their services. There's no benefit in doing HCP unless you're going through their sponsorship.

When we've all graduate med school are starting residencies we'll find the troll in the Official Harvard Extension 2020 thread still going at it ... only to find out the troll is our attending :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Keep feeding the troll just to see this come to fruition?

This won't apply to any of us, but I'd imagine that the 2015 change to the MCAT will require that some students take even more courses, like Biochemistry, Sociology, and psychology. I wonder how this will change the HCP experience? This might eliminate the 1-year post-bacc, or at least radically change it. Interesting stuff. Has anyone heard anything about this from the administration?

This won't apply to any of us, but I'd imagine that the 2015 change to the MCAT will require that some students take even more courses, like Biochemistry, Sociology, and psychology. I wonder how this will change the HCP experience? This might eliminate the 1-year post-bacc, or at least radically change it. Interesting stuff. Has anyone heard anything about this from the administration?

It might even force them to extend financial aid for another year. The horror.