Official :"Help evaluate my list of schools/mentor" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOverachiever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I wanted to get anyone's feedback on the list of programs I will be applying to. If you have experience with or knowledge on the school/faculty I would appreciate hearing (lol, well reading) it. Btw, these are all clinical PhD programs and my research interest is sexual violence against women and children.

.Ohio University - . .Christine Gidycz (First choice)
. .University of Georgia - . .Joan Jackson
. .University of Arkansas - . .Patricia Petretic (Got great info thanks to ananasaroma!)
. .Columbia Univ. Teachers College - . .George Bonanno
. .Miami University - . .Terri Messman-Moore
. .University of Connecticut - . .Michelle Williams
. .University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign - . .Nicole Allen
. .University of Washington - . .William George
. University of Missouri-St Louis .(Spec. in Trauma Studies) - . .Zoe Peterson
. .University of Denver. - .. .Anne P. Deprince

The names in bold are faculty members I was particularly impressed by.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're open to Counseling Psych, you should consider Texas Woman's University, too. Lots of gender-related research, including some violence stuff.

If you're open to Counseling Psych, you should consider Texas Woman's University, too. Lots of gender-related research, including some violence stuff.
Thank you for the suggestion. Although I am more interested in clinical vs counseling, I will still keep this is mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out:
University of Kansas (child clinical)
University of Vermont
University of Montana
University of Tulsa
University of Wyoming
Virginia Commonwealth University

They all have violence/trauma researchers, many of whom do work involving children.

Check out:
University of Kansas (child clinical)
University of Vermont
University of Montana
University of Tulsa
University of Wyoming
Virginia Commonwealth University

They all have violence/trauma researchers, many of whom do work involving children.

I agree with future about KU, especially if you liked Dr. Peterson since she studied under Dr. Muehlenhard.

Last edited:
Check out Dr. Sandra Graham Bermann at the University of Michigan. They are clinical science program now. High emphasis on research.

Hi all,

I would also like some advice on my list of schools. I am really interested in working with low income, at-risk kids with behavior problems...with a particular interest in school-based and preventative interventions. Tying in with that is an interest in social emotional learning and psychological fitness programs.

Here is the list of schools I have on my list so far (all Clinical PhDs)...if anyone has any advice or specific info about the schools, I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Rutgers- Maurice Elias
Temple- Deborah Drabick
Loyola Chicago- Joseph Durlak
Fordham- David Glenwick
George Mason U- Jerome Short
St. Johns- Alice Pope
Depaul- Katherine Grant
George Washington U- Sharon Lambert

Like the others, I would love to get your thoughts on the programs/faculty I'm interested in. My main research interests are in the area of obesity (particularly obesity stigma), but I'm also open to other health cognition, behavior, and communiction-related research.

Here's my list (sorry it's so long!):

-Bowling Green State: Robert Carels
-Uniformed Services (civilian track): Tracy Sbrocco, Marian Tanofsky-Kraff
-University of Pittsburgh: Melissa Kalarchian, Michele Levine, Marsha Marcus
-University of Florida: Michael Perri
-University of Iowa: Alan Christensen, Theresa Treat
-Emory University: Linda Craighead, possibly Drew Westen
-Rutgers: hopefully Terence Wilson, possibly Gretchen Chapman
-San Diego State/University of California at San Diego: Kevin Patrick (several others seem to work with him, correct?)
-Yale: Kelly Brownell
-Washington University: Denise Wilfley
-University of South Florida: Paul Jacobsen, Kevin Thompson (he's unavailable this year though)
-SUNY Albany: Drew Anderson
-University of Colorado at Boulder: Angela Bryan

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Hi folks,

Long time reader first time poster.

I'm applying to clinical/counseling PhD programs this fall and am researching schools. I'm basically taking the Insiders Guide and visiting each Department's webpage one by one. I was hoping some of you guys might be able to suggest a few along the following lines?

-Psychotherapy process/outcome research (with a focus on anxiety, if possible).
- Mindfulness, religiosity, emotion regulation as precursors to well-being
- Relatively balanced research/clinical program

ALL suggestions welcome ...

Thank you!!!

To help others when searching through threads, can you be more specific with what you want your title to say? I can edit your title to be more reflective of what you are looking for, but as it stands it is not clear.

MOD NOTE: So we don't have 50 "give me feedback about my list of school" threads, I think everyone who wants feedback should post them in here. Please include the school, your interested area of research, and the applicable mentor(s).

Can't talk about psychotherapy outcomes, but can talk about mindfulness:
Baer at U of Kentucky
Waltz at U of Montana
Byrd and Loverich at Eastern Michigan U
Ahrens and Cheng at American U
Hayes at U of Nevada Reno
Roemer at U of MA Boston

TheOverachiever: April Bradley at the University of North Dakota does work with children and trauma, especially forensic assessment.

Members don't see this ad :)
For outcome research I'd also check Counseling programs.

Like the others, I would love to get your thoughts on the programs/faculty I'm interested in. My main research interests are in the area of obesity (particularly obesity stigma), but I'm also open to other health cognition, behavior, and communiction-related research.

Both professors are solid, I have my personal preferences and I am a USUHS student (military) and as a group I think our dept is a pretty decent place to be and very supportive of the students. I wouldn't want to trade with any one else.

Mark

St. Johns- Alice Pope

St. John's utilizes a general admission model and assigns students to faculty only after they are admitted, so there is a chance you will not be assigned to work with the faculty member that you want. Something to consider!

-Bowling Green State: Robert Carels
-University of Pittsburgh: Melissa Kalarchian, Michele Levine, Marsha Marcus
-University of Florida: Michael Perri
-University of Iowa: Alan Christensen, Theresa Treat
-Emory University: Linda Craighead, possibly Drew Westen
-Rutgers: hopefully Terence Wilson, possibly Gretchen Chapman
-San Diego State/University of California at San Diego: Kevin Patrick (several others seem to work with him, correct?)
-Yale: Kelly Brownell
-Washington University: Denise Wilfley
-University of South Florida: Paul Jacobsen, Kevin Thompson (he's unavailable this year though)
-SUNY Albany: Drew Anderson
-University of Colorado at Boulder: Angela Bryan

Not sure if you have your heart set on a clinical PhD, but Angela Bryan is not a clinical psychologist nor member of the clinical faculty at Boulder.

You might also want to check out Michael Lowe's work at Drexel!

Thanks for your response LM02, but Dr. Bryan is actually joining the faculty at Boulder next year and will take clinical students (I've contacted her personally). I looked at the program at Drexel but was a little concerned that it might be more equal in its practice/research balance (I want to go to a more research-focused program). Do you know much about Drexel's program?

Thanks for your response LM02, but Dr. Bryan is actually joining the faculty at Boulder next year and will take clinical students (I've contacted her personally). I looked at the program at Drexel but was a little concerned that it might be more equal in its practice/research balance (I want to go to a more research-focused program). Do you know much about Drexel's program?

I just sent you a message! :)

(also, the issue I was raising wasn't whether Dr. Bryan is at Boulder - it was more that she is a social psychologist and not a clinical psychologist)

Last edited:
Hey all!

I wanted to get anyone's feedback on the list of programs I will be applying to. If you have experience with or knowledge on the school/faculty I would appreciate hearing (lol, well reading) it. Btw, these are all clinical PhD programs and my research interest is sexual violence against women and children.

.Ohio University - . .Christine Gidycz (First choice)
. .University of Georgia - . .Joan Jackson
. .University of Arkansas - . .Patricia Petretic (Got great info thanks to ananasaroma!)
. .Columbia Univ. Teachers College - . .George Bonanno
. .Miami University - . .Terri Messman-Moore
. .University of Connecticut - . .Michelle Williams
. .University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign - . .Nicole Allen
. .University of Washington - . .William George
. University of Missouri-St Louis .(Spec. in Trauma Studies) - . .Zoe Peterson
. .University of Denver. - .. .Anne P. Deprince

The names in bold are faculty members I was particularly impressed by.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

I did my undergrad at UMSL, and I worked with Zoe among other professors. She's really cool. I liked working with her. She is a really nice person, and SERIOUSLY knows her stuff. She is also very prolific in her research, and has high expectations. UMSL is a pretty strenuous program, in my opinion. It has high expectations from what I heard from other students. One of the things I think is weak in their program is that you have multiple placement sites at once in order to get all of your clinical hours. So you may have 15 clients at 3 or 4 different sites. I guess this has pros and cons, but I only heard bitching from the grad students there. This is different than my current Ph.D. program where you are only at one place at a time generally.

I agree with future about KU, especially if you liked Dr. Peterson since she studied under Dr. Muehlenhard. I also have to give a shout out on behalf of Dr. DePrince since I spent a year as an RA in her lab. Both she and her students are fantastic people and passionate about their work. Also, I have a document that Anne put together of doctorate programs focusing on trauma. Feel free to send me a PM with your email if you'd like for me to send it your way.
Wow thank you both!!!

Awesome, awesome recommendations! I'm so excited now. Sorry to be replying late, I've been crazy busy with school and didn't get a chance to check out the board.

You guys rock!

I did my undergrad at UMSL, and I worked with Zoe among other professors. She's really cool. I liked working with her. She is a really nice person, and SERIOUSLY knows her stuff. She is also very prolific in her research, and has high expectations. UMSL is a pretty strenuous program, in my opinion. It has high expectations from what I heard from other students. One of the things I think is weak in their program is that you have multiple placement sites at once in order to get all of your clinical hours. So you may have 15 clients at 3 or 4 different sites. I guess this has pros and cons, but I only heard bitching from the grad students there. This is different than my current Ph.D. program where you are only at one place at a time generally.
Oh wow, didn't realize that stuff. Hmm, definitely something I need to think about to decide if the school is for me.

I agree with future about KU, especially if you liked Dr. Peterson since she studied under Dr. Muehlenhard. I also have to give a shout out on behalf of Dr. DePrince since I spent a year as an RA in her lab. Both she and her students are fantastic people and passionate about their work. Also, I have a document that Anne put together of doctorate programs focusing on trauma. Feel free to send me a PM with your email if you'd like for me to send it your way.
I am very impressed by Dr. Muehlenhard!!! Perfect match for me! Thanks so much! I have another school to add :)

I just sent you a message! :)

(also, the issue I was raising wasn't whether Dr. Bryan is at Boulder - it was more that she is a social psychologist and not a clinical psychologist)
Thanks for the follow up and for alerting me to another program to consider!

Not sure if you still need this info, but thought I'd let you know to steer clear of Petretic at University of Arkansas. She's lost 3 students over the past 3 years and having her as a mentor will pretty much kill your future career in psychology, especially in research. Email me privately if you want more info!
V.

Not sure if you still need this info, but thought I'd let you know to steer clear of Petretic at University of Arkansas. She's lost 3 students over the past 3 years and having her as a mentor will pretty much kill your future career in psychology, especially in research. Email me privately if you want more info!
V.

This post seems quite disturbing...