Official Internal Medicine Shelf Exam Thread

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Kluver_Bucy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. W19

W19 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I don't if the scale score is the same at every school, but it was around + 13-15 throughout the whole year at my school... So if your raw score is 70, expect to have a mid 80s scaled score.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. FindMeOnTheLinks

FindMeOnTheLinks 2+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Just wanted to follow up on this. The scale must have been insanely generous. That exam felt BRUTAL.

Raw 91 (99th percentile)

Did ~750 Uworld questions on tutor mode
    Got through roughly 2/3 of SU2M (skipped derm, neuro, ambulatory, and renal).
    Watched online med ed videos x2 (once before starting rotation, once during), read the OME notes as well
    Read Thaler's EKG book (highly recommend this book)
    Read about patients on UpToDate and Medscape.
    Paid attention during morning report and noon conference (seriously you can pick up lots of little tidbits if you pay attention).

4. t5Nitro

t5Nitro 5+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2011
    How long was your rotation? This is so much to do in 4 weeks. If you had to choose between OME and SUTM, which would you choose? I'm expecting to have only ~400-500 UW questions complete by my test.

5. cellsaver

cellsaver

Dec 26, 2016
    Imagine that!

Congrats on your awesome score! Considering the work you invested, it is unlikely a scale had anything to do with your great result

Inspiring. Thanks for sharing

6. doyouhaveaflag

doyouhaveaflag No flag, no country 2+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Depends on whether you learn better from videos/diagrams vs reading and whether you have good foundational knowledge from studying for step 1. I didn't use SUTM. I used OME (among other things) and found it to be helpful and an excellent overview, but it doesn't have the level of detail you need if your foundation isn't there.

I found the shelf to have a lot of material I never came across while studying for IM but that I knew from my step 1 study. Ended up with a 95 raw (this was last October). However, consensus seems to be that SUTM is the go-to resource.

t5Nitro likes this.
  7. FindMeOnTheLinks

FindMeOnTheLinks 2+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2014
    We had 8 weeks. I don't know how you learn best, but if it were me in your shoes, I would just forego the other stuff and just focus on uworld. Literally all you need is uworld. If I was gonna add another source, I would do OME. Its very simple at outlining what you need to know as far as best next step, but it is very superficial. I found SU2M to be helpful for doing a quick overview of stuff that I'd never encountered before, but it didn't really stick very well. So I would skip that if I only had 4 weeks left.

Thanks for your kind words. And yeah, a lot of students complain about having to go to morning report/noon conference, but I found that as long as you pay attention and at the very least jot down a few topics that you're unfamiliar with so that you can read about them later, it can help you learn a lot.

AthleteDoc7 and t5Nitro like this.
  8. AthleteDoc7

AthleteDoc7 2+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Congrats on an awesome score man! Just to clarify, I take this shelf in literally 8 days and I think all I'm going to get through is a full pass of UWorld (plus the Emma Holliday IM video and very little OME). I did well on step 1 and hoping that helps. Is Uworld alone enough to honor in your opinion?