Official Interview Thread c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Working on it, applications were only due two weeks ago and the anticipation is already killing me haha.

Oh, and...

Whoop! :D

WHOOP! Yay for future Aggies!!!! Let me know if you have any questions at all, whether its about TAMU, the school, classes, whatever! I seriously need procrastination breaks every now and then...;)

Members don't see this ad.

WHOOP! Yay for future Aggies!!!! Let me know if you have any questions at all, whether its about TAMU, the school, classes, whatever! I seriously need procrastination breaks every now and then...;)

Haha sounds good thanks. And current Aggie actually, I'm an undergraduate here in the BIMS program so I'm at the vet school all the time. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it much since you said you went elsewhere for undergrad, but it's a part of the college of vet med and pretty tailored to pre-vet kids (anatomy and phys are required courses, an evil 5 hour micro class, interesting vet med focused electives, and a lot of profs that teach BIMS undergrads also teach vet students). I think at this point I'm mostly just worried about what to expect from interviews, especially since they changed the format to the MMI now. As my in-state A&M should definitely be my best shot if I'm going to get in anywhere :p

Soo since there aren't many interview invites out yet, I want to ask a question. What are some good questions to ask your interviewer(s)? I don't want to ask nothing and look uninterested, but I've researched all of my schools to death so I already know most of the stuff I would be curious about. When I did interviews last year I didn't have much to say, so I'm hoping to improve that little aspect ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Soo since there aren't many interview invites out yet, I want to ask a question. What are some good questions to ask your interviewer(s)? I don't want to ask nothing and look uninterested, but I've researched all of my schools to death so I already know most of the stuff I would be curious about. When I did interviews last year I didn't have much to say, so I'm hoping to improve that little aspect ;)

When I got gutsier (after my first couple of acceptances), I started asking my interviewers why I should go to their school (ie, what set their school apart/why should I attend over others). Your mileage may vary, and you have to word it very carefully.

If there is a specific interest you have, you can definitely bring that up. I asked about the opportunities in shelter medicine at each of my interviews.

Just make sure that whatever question you might have isn't something that can be found on their website. At my KSU interview in Jan, I asked about typical double major opportunities and how the students do. The KSU website is not very specific on their double major opportunities (at least I couldn't find anything other than the name of their programs ie BRIGHT etc). My one male interviewer, who I'm assuming got the job of being bad cop because he was kinda rude, literally rolled his eyes when I asked. Rather than answering the question, he just told me that very few people need both DVM and PhD in their career.

Don't get me started on KState :rolleyes: :p

Oh...great. Perfect encouraging words for a first time applicant there :laugh:

Overall the experience was good. Open house, tour, and the interview. I just had a finicky interviewer. The other two were great! If you have any questions about the interview when we get closer, don't be afraid to ask! I got waitlisted last cycle there (I've improved my app 400% since), so between myself and the other peeps on this forum, we can be a great resource!

Overall the experience was good. Open house, tour, and the interview. I just had a finicky interviewer. The other two were great! If you have any questions about the interview when we get closer, don't be afraid to ask! I got waitlisted last cycle there (I've improved my app 400% since), so between myself and the other peeps on this forum, we can be a great resource!

Thank you! Yeah, as you can see I just recently discovered and signed up for this forum, and I will say everyone here seems very nice. This is my first time applying so I'm pretty nervous about it. It would be most convenient to get in the first time around, but I'm sure everyone says that :laugh:

I would definitely love some advice from those with experience at whatever schools I'll be interviewing at though, assuming I get any :p

Thank you! Yeah, as you can see I just recently discovered and signed up for this forum, and I will say everyone here seems very nice. This is my first time applying so I'm pretty nervous about it. It would be most convenient to get in the first time around, but I'm sure everyone says that :laugh:

I would definitely love some advice from those with experience at whatever schools I'll be interviewing at though, assuming I get any :p

Which schools did you apply to.. I have interviewed at Washington State twice, KSU twice, Western twice, Mississippi State once and Iowa state once. Also, look at the interview feedback page, it is a really good resource...

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=veterinary

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you guys know, it REALLY looks like everyone had a finicky interviewer at K-State. Every single person I have spoken to had a similar experience. I think it's a good cop, bad cop thing lol

Thanks for the link. I applied to Texas A&M (IS), KState, OKState, UGA, and VRMCVM.

The goods news is that OKState and UGA (I think) don't interview OOSers so there's two less to worry about :D
And KState wasn't that bad. Not my favorite interview by any means, but not gut wrenching.
Well... ok maybe if you have diarrhea of the mouth like me :smuggrin:

Just so you guys know, it REALLY looks like everyone had a finicky interviewer at K-State. Every single person I have spoken to had a similar experience. I think it's a good cop, bad cop thing lol

Definitely. They threw 3 bad, corrupt cops my way :laugh:

I can concur with this. I had one nit-picky interviewer who literally couldn't get over the fact that I wanted to open my own practice down the line. He just kept asking "why own your own clinic? can't you do everything you wanna do by being an associate?" Um no, thanks for asking :rolleyes:

I will say that for pretty much all my interviews I had a good experience.

Haha sounds good thanks. And current Aggie actually, I'm an undergraduate here in the BIMS program so I'm at the vet school all the time. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it much since you said you went elsewhere for undergrad, but it's a part of the college of vet med and pretty tailored to pre-vet kids (anatomy and phys are required courses, an evil 5 hour micro class, interesting vet med focused electives, and a lot of profs that teach BIMS undergrads also teach vet students). I think at this point I'm mostly just worried about what to expect from interviews, especially since they changed the format to the MMI now. As my in-state A&M should definitely be my best shot if I'm going to get in anywhere :p

YAY! Even better! I should probably rephrase my earlier statement to "Yay for future Aggie vets!"

Believe it or not, I almost went to TAMU myself and I attended their pre-vet camp so I know a little about their undergrad programs. And don't worry about the interviews. You'll be fine. If you're part of the pre-vet club (I think y'all have one) then we current students are having a mock interview session for you guys in November. I'll be there and so will a bunch of other students so definitely attend that!

Oh and if you're ever bored swing by the small animal clinic. I work there nights and weekends so come say hi!

The goods news is that OKState and UGA (I think) don't interview OOSers so there's two less to worry about :D
And KState wasn't that bad. Not my favorite interview by any means, but not gut wrenching.
Well... ok maybe if you have diarrhea of the mouth like me :smuggrin:

Yeah I don't have to worry about them at least so worst (or best? :laugh:) case I just need to worry about the other three.

YAY! Even better! I should probably rephrase my earlier statement to "Yay for future Aggie vets!"

Believe it or not, I almost went to TAMU myself and I attended their pre-vet camp so I know a little about their undergrad programs. And don't worry about the interviews. You'll be fine. If you're part of the pre-vet club (I think y'all have one) then we current students are having a mock interview session for you guys in November. I'll be there and so will a bunch of other students so definitely attend that!

Oh and if you're ever bored swing by the small animal clinic. I work there nights and weekends so come say hi!

Gah, I've been bad. I've been involved with them so far, but I've been so busy with school and other extracurricular stuff lately (I'm an officer in another student organization as well); I had some conflicts with other obligations and missed some of the meetings and totally forgot to pay dues to continue to be a member...oops. Not quite sure what to do about that, but I'll be honest anyway, at this point as an officer and co-founder of it my other org means a lot more to me. The mock interviews were probably the only incentive I would have this semester to stay involved with the prevet society. Granted they gave me some good opportunities, but I kinda took it from there and am paving my own way now you get me? It's not a bad group, but it always gets several hundred members so even there the resources they can offer are often somewhat limited. It would be great to do the mock interviews, but since I kinda dropped the ball on keeping my membership, I dunno. I guess I should probably e-mail them and explain and see if I can still squeeze in there...

I tried to get a job at the small animal clinic (they had a student worker position open sometime in the past few months) but they didn't hire me :(

Sideswipe here: Why does this thread show up with a smiley face :) next to the topic on the forum page? If anything, it should be more like :scared:. Does it show up for everyone else? I'm still learning the mysterious ways of sdn!

Sideswipe here: Why does this thread show up with a smiley face :) next to the topic on the forum page? If anything, it should be more like :scared:. Does it show up for everyone else? I'm still learning the mysterious ways of sdn!

You can mark it that way when you start the thread. But it should be a happy thread! Stress inducing, yes, but also happy!

I had a good experience with my KSU interview, I felt like it actually went ok. I didn't get the good cop/bad cop vibe, but maybe my feelings are way off, because I was rejected post-interview both years... Worst rejection of my life because I feel in love with their school. It was probably the only rejection I actually shed tears over and I was rejected A LOT.

Are there threads on SDN for each school based on types of interview questions/prep alone? Like a thread from last year or recent years?

check the interview feedback under reference materials at the top of the forums.

:thumbup: Those pages are extremely helpful! The interview feedback questions for KSU were dead on with what I was asked during my interview. They do ask a couple of odd questions based on your unique experiences, but those were maybe 10% of the questions. They're funny. I went to Australia over winter break to volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary, and one of the interviewers asked me to compare the Aussie cattle industry to American cattle industry. I was like "uh... what" :confused: and then made some assumptions based on the animals/weather/etc. Wildlife ≠ Cattle

I tried to pick something unique about the school to ask about, even if it was from their website. At least they knew i made an effort to research the school. I am also interested in research so i asked about opportunities available for students either during their first year or the summer after the first year.

Just got an interview invite for Iowa State.... !!! :eek: :D

I'm in-state, so if you're OOS don't get worried!

AHHHH CONGRATS!! Im OOS, but still worried!!

Atlantic Veterinary College:

Auburn:

Florida:

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State:
dmb320 (10/23, IS) ; SBenjamin1190 (10/23, Contract State) ; armstrh (10/23) ;

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Mississippi:

Missouri:

Ohio State:

Oklahoma State University:

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:
Cs5910(Interviewed, accepted)

Royal Veterinary College:

St. George's University:

Tennessee:

Texas A&M:

Tufts:

Tuskegee:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

VMRCVM:

Washington State University:

Western:

Last edited:
Was just updating the good news. Yay dmb and SB!

Thanks so much- I haven't posted before, so didn't want to try (and fail) at reformatting the official list.

yeah, thanks for that update :) :thumb up:

Thanks so much- I haven't posted before, so didn't want to try (and fail) at reformatting the official list.

No problem. The official lists become the best/worse thing ever during the next couple of months.

Congrats on the interview invite.

Yay for making your first and second post! Lol

I'd say being able to make your first post on the interview thread is pretty awesome!!

When you start getting more invites :xf: all you have to do is press the quote button on the last updated list, erase the very top thing that says [QUOTE=cyuhbjini ( persons names) and the bottom one as well, and then add your name to the list and post :D a lot of people will bold their name which you can undo as well. Hopefully this little tip will make posing less scary!

Congrats!

I got an interview offer from Iowa State today!

Seeee!!! I wasn't THAT premature in making this thread :p
Congrats peeps!! I am SO excited for this class. :claps:

AHHHH!!! Congrats to those with interview invites!!!!!!

And yes, Em, I'll concede that you were right when making this thread...;)

It's starting!!!! Can't wait to see this thread get updated with more and more and MORE interview invites! :D

And to think I won't hear anything until the end of January. CONGRATS to those getting interview invites!!!!

Auburn:

Florida:

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State: dmb320 (10/23, IS) ; SBenjamin1190 (10/23, Contract State) ; armstrh (10/23) ; Restless91 (10/23, contract[ND])

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Mississippi:

Missouri:

Ohio State:

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University: Cs5910(Interviewed, accepted)

St. George's University:

Tennessee:

Texas A&M:

Tufts:

Tuskegee:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

VMRCVM:

Western:

:xf:

Forgot how often this has to be fixed :rolleyes:
Don't forget to remove the quote] boxes when you are posting your interviews from a quoted list. Or you can just highlight, copy, paste, and add yourself.

Auburn:

Florida:

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State:
dmb320 (10/23, IS) ; SBenjamin1190 (10/23, Contract State) ; armstrh (10/23) ; Restless91 (10/23) contract (ND);

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Mississippi:

Missouri:

Ohio State:

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:
Cs5910(Interviewed, accepted)

St. George's University:

Tennessee:

Texas A&M:

Tufts:

Tuskegee:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

VMRCVM:

Western:

Last edited:
Emiloo, you and I are becoming editors of this thread, though I would prefer adding my name to this thread.

I am getting so anxious!! I keep checking this page.... then my email.... then back to this page. I hope I am not the only one with this problem!!