Official Johns Hopkins Class Of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never given merit scholarships??? Think again:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/dome/0704/

This is the type of stuff that makes me worry about Hopkins and how they do things there.

I don't know that those could be considered entirely "merit" scholarships when they are only available to minorities. Just shows you how ass-backwards affirmative action can be, as it effectively discriminates against poor people who are not minorities. So I guess the admissions lady was only "sort of" lying--she should have said that they have never given a merit scholarship to someone with my skin color.

I withdrew from Hopkins, but if I got a phone call from someone in the admissions office with a scholarship I would go in a heartbeat. The school seemed awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that those could be considered entirely "merit" scholarships when they are only available to minorities. Just shows you how ass-backwards affirmative action can be, as it effectively discriminates against poor people who are not minorities. So I guess the admissions lady was only "sort of" lying--she should have said that they have never given a merit scholarship to someone with my skin color.

I withdrew from Hopkins, but if I got a phone call from someone in the admissions office with a scholarship I would go in a heartbeat. The school seemed awesome.

One of the scholarship recipients was not a minority. She was lying...

One of the scholarship recipients was not a minority. She was lying...

It always surprises me how schools like Hopkins and Harvard, the richest in the nation by far, offer so little aid money. It seemed like at least half of the students at revisit weekend were disgruntled and angry about their financial aid packages.

It's funny how they didn't even mention this scholarship program at the giant financial aid meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never given merit scholarships??? Think again:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/dome/0704/

This is the type of stuff that makes me worry about Hopkins and how they do things there.

In response to an earlier question, Hopkins financial aid packages are organized in a deceiving and silly manner. The difference between the total cost of attendance and the financial aid package (loans + scholarship) have to be met with more unsubsidized or private loans or your own resources.

So if you received 39K (loans + scholarship) that means you will need approximately another 20K per year in loans. I think that Hopkins should at least put together a four year projected student budget like many other schools so that you can get a true sense of the financial impact over four years. If I go there, I will definitely be a big pain in the a$$ to the financial aid staff.
So Hopkins does give a merit scholarship, but the Board of Visitors scholarship is only for URM and not all URMs will receive it. You have to be chosen (and you can not apply for it, they just chose from application files), and all the recipients are outstanding: community leaders, top 5 graduates of their class, etc. And sure enough they are at the top of our class as well. As far as I know they all were given the scholarship before the 1st year started and it is for 4 years....
Bottom line: fin aid is need based and the rest is in loans...

I just think it's shady that everyone says "NO MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS" when it's not true. I say again, all of the recipients are NOT minorities... I just want an honest answer.

For example, at Duke they said, no merit based unless you're a URM. I respected that they were honest from the jump...

I just think it's shady that everyone says "NO MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS" when it's not true. I say again, all of the recipients are NOT minorities... I just want an honest answer.

For example, at Duke they said, no merit based unless you're a URM. I respected that they were honest from the jump...

Dude, CHILL. I highly doubt the financial aid person was trying to mislead you and regardless, you didn't get a scholarship so don't worry about whether or not they are offered. The white guy might have Hispanic heritage or something. I didn't get a scholarship either, and neither did 95% of your potential classmates. Unfortunately this is what top med schools do because they can get away with it.

Still, seems like Fin Aid has taken a downturn in recent years. Not sure what's up with that.

Dude, CHILL. I highly doubt the financial aid person was trying to mislead you and regardless, you didn't get a scholarship so don't worry about whether or not they are offered. The white guy might have Hispanic heritage or something. I didn't get a scholarship either, and neither did 95% of your potential classmates. Unfortunately this is what top med schools do because they can get away with it.

Still, seems like Fin Aid has taken a downturn in recent years. Not sure what's up with that.

She said to me "we have never given a merit scholarship to anyone, ever." Turns out that was a blatant lie. Regardless of what she was "trying" to do, that's a little frustrating.

She said to me "we have never given a merit scholarship to anyone, ever." Turns out that was a blatant lie. Regardless of what she was "trying" to do, that's a little frustrating.

No doubt!

I have another, personal instance of their deception. I'm going to wait to see how everything pans out before I mention it on here.

Don't get me wrong, Hopkins is a great medical school and I liked all the students I met while I was there. The learning environment seems amazing and I am very fortunate to have been accepted.

I'm just saying that I think it's only fair that when you're asking most people to make the largest financial decision they have EVER made, that honesty and accuracy of information provided should be core values, regardless of intentions. I think that's a reasonable request.

Towelie and John,

You're right, ideally they should be forthcoming and lay out exactly what aid is available, and what you can expect to get and owe at the end, and it sounds from your comments like the amount of aid one can expect has fallen in the past few years, which is too bad. I'm not sure what's behind it, except that the SOM is actively building a huge biotech park, a new preclincial teaching building, and a gigantic brand new hospital building, so they're probably trying to get more money where they can, and students are easy targets, esp. because the tuition at Hopkins had been lower than most other private schools.

But I doubt the financial aid office is engaging in active, purposeful lying and deception. The person you talked to might not have known about this new scholarship - I certainly had no idea it existed until that article. Or they did, and they may have known you weren't eligible and didn't want to piss you off. Or maybe they don't see it as a "merit" scholarship but as a minority scholarship. Or the scholarship is not handled by the financial aid office but by a separate committee. I could see any of these as feasible explanations. As a non minority, I'm also well aware of the fact that I will get skipped over for most of this stuff and I tolerate it in the interest of diversity even though I think it's unfair. I mean no offense by this, but what should be frustrating is that we have to do things like this to "fix" racial inequality, not that someone in financial aid didn't tell me about a scholarship I either didn't get or couldn't get.

Stuff like this is a touchy area and has sparked a couple of debates about issues like whether to offer things like a minority-only revisit weekend, which we do have in an attempt to increase minorities in the class. I think people try to avoid bringing it up when they can, and maybe this is an example of that. Whatever the explanation, it sucks that the financial aid situation isn't better for you guys and I really hope everything works out for you. Hopkins really is a great place to spend 4 years and if you can are able to come here, you won't regret it.

Towelie and John,

You're right, ideally they should be forthcoming and lay out exactly what aid is available, and what you can expect to get and owe at the end, and it sounds from your comments like the amount of aid one can expect has fallen in the past few years, which is too bad. I'm not sure what's behind it, except that the SOM is actively building a huge biotech park, a new preclincial teaching building, and a gigantic brand new hospital building, so they're probably trying to get more money where they can, and students are easy targets, esp. because the tuition at Hopkins had been lower than most other private schools.

But I doubt the financial aid office is engaging in active, purposeful lying and deception. The person you talked to might not have known about this new scholarship - I certainly had no idea it existed until that article. Or they did, and they may have known you weren't eligible and didn't want to piss you off. Or maybe they don't see it as a "merit" scholarship but as a minority scholarship. Or the scholarship is not handled by the financial aid office but by a separate committee. I could see any of these as feasible explanations. As a non minority, I'm also well aware of the fact that I will get skipped over for most of this stuff and I tolerate it in the interest of diversity even though I think it's unfair. I mean no offense by this, but what should be frustrating is that we have to do things like this to "fix" racial inequality, not that someone in financial aid didn't tell me about a scholarship I either didn't get or couldn't get.

Stuff like this is a touchy area and has sparked a couple of debates about issues like whether to offer things like a minority-only revisit weekend, which we do have in an attempt to increase minorities in the class. I think people try to avoid bringing it up when they can, and maybe this is an example of that. Whatever the explanation, it sucks that the financial aid situation isn't better for you guys and I really hope everything works out for you. Hopkins really is a great place to spend 4 years and if you can are able to come here, you won't regret it.

Rapid,

This is why I'm torn. Obviously, as someone with prior experience with Hopkins, I don't like how they do things... But I have always liked the people (always a couple of exceptions).

The bad thing is that if I come to Hopkins, I'm already thinking private practice because of the financial impications of my decision.

One of my friends who attended the "Welcome Back Weekend" said that only two on the non-MD/PhDs were coming to Hopkins because they had full rides to Duke, WashU, Michigan, Vandy. Secondly, I think the minority students are at a disadvantage by not participating in the regular second look weekend. I imagine they get an image of Hopkins that is not realistic.

Rapid,

This is why I'm torn. Obviously, as someone with prior experience with Hopkins, I don't like how they do things... But I have always liked the people (always a couple of exceptions).

The bad thing is that if I come to Hopkins, I'm already thinking private practice because of the financial impications of my decision.

One of my friends who attended the "Welcome Back Weekend" said that only two on the non-MD/PhDs were coming to Hopkins because they had full rides to Duke, WashU, Michigan, Vandy. Secondly, I think the minority students are at a disadvantage by not participating in the regular second look weekend. I imagine they get an image of Hopkins that is not realistic.

You're right, and vice versa, if at the regular second look everyone is white, Asian, or Indian.

I can definitely appreciate where you are coming from, and it really sucks that money has to be an issue for us when we choose where to go. I think that as tuition continues to climb $1K or more a year, all medical schools are going to have to face the fact that students will increasingly go where they can afford to go. If it's true that a lot of people are going to say no to Hopkins to accept a full ride at other excellent medical schools (honestly not a bad choice) then Hopkins will hopefully follow suit and start offering more money to people.

If financial reasons dictate that you go elsewhere, you understandably have to go where you can afford to go. My original intent in posting was just to respond to the assertion that Hopkins is trying to lie or mislead people and "trick" them into coming. More than likely they are doing their best with what they are given and are trying to avoid fallout from raising the tuition, lowering the aid, etc.

Rapid,

Sorry to jump into your conversation in the middle, but I thought I'd add an unsolicited opinion: my fiancee, who is hispanic, went to the Hopkins minority second look weekend when she was choosing med school. Although she ended up deciding to go somewhere else, she appreciated the fact that Hopkins was making a special effort to recruit her, with a chance to talk to some members of the faculty from a similar background (immigrant parents, learning English as a second language, etc). Now, I am white as the new-fallen snow and don't entirely agree with this view of the world--I tend to think that people would be better off with one second-look event to get the best possible sense of the school, and don't like when people are "categorized"--but I can understand that, if you have gone through your academic life feeling like an outsider, which at least some minority students do, then having the chance to have intimate contact with others who have the same types of experiences might be more valuable to you than getting a more "realistic" view of the school as a whole. Just a different opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
The merit scholarships for minorities are new this year, so everybody's trying to get up to speed on the change. That said, I want to validate that Towelie and John have legitimate concerns. I think this institution is doing a better job of being transparent than in the past, but it still has a ways to go.

For more about the story, check out this link to the Johns Hopkins Dome magazine article.

Sorry to jump into your conversation in the middle, but I thought I'd add an unsolicited opinion: my fiancee, who is hispanic, went to the Hopkins minority second look weekend when she was choosing med school. Although she ended up deciding to go somewhere else, she appreciated the fact that Hopkins was making a special effort to recruit her, with a chance to talk to some members of the faculty from a similar background (immigrant parents, learning English as a second language, etc). Now, I am white as the new-fallen snow and don't entirely agree with this view of the world--I tend to think that people would be better off with one second-look event to get the best possible sense of the school, and don't like when people are "categorized"--but I can understand that, if you have gone through your academic life feeling like an outsider, which at least some minority students do, then having the chance to have intimate contact with others who have the same types of experiences might be more valuable to you than getting a more "realistic" view of the school as a whole. Just a different opinion

True, I think that's why they have decided to keep it, and other minority students here had similar views.

does anyone know what the average age of the entering class usually is?

hey! where is everyone? i just have a quick question about housing: is anyone planning to live in the standard and if so, do you know about the logistics of living there and getting to school?

thanks.

hey! where is everyone? i just have a quick question about housing: is anyone planning to live in the standard and if so, do you know about the logistics of living there and getting to school?

thanks.

As far as I remember Standard is close to Mt.Vernon square, and there is a shuttle that stops right in the middle of the square next to Peabody. Google Homewood shuttle, and check if it is close to Standard. Actually, you can call the property and they will know. There are bunch of med and public health students living there. The only thing I know about it is that they had trouble with mice at one point and that it is a bit expensive.

Does anyone know if Hopkins sells the college pass for the Metro Subway? According to this website:

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/subway/fares/

monthly college passes can be purchased for $39 at participating schools.

Thanks!

It is actually $20 for Hopkins students and can be purchased at the Business office (I think it is BRB 137, right next to our student affairs office). I took metro during the 1st year and it was very convenient. I doubt that they have doubled the price in a few months that I have been out of Baltimore.

Thanks for the information locaperonoloca and Bubchik!

Hey guys!

Do you know if we have a meal plan or not? If we are to take up residence in Reed Hall, do we have access to a school cafeteria (other than the one w/in th e hospital) or do we have to make our own meals? Thanks!

:love::thumbup:

hey journey,
No, we do not have a meal plan, and the only cafeteria is in the hospital. There are a few meal choices around the campus, with the most popular being Taste of China (chinese take out), Northeast Market (many vendors), Subway, a sushi place, and a few carts when it's good weather (including a gyros, burrito, and falafel cart). With that being said, I take my lunch 3-4/5 days a week or go back to my room in Reed. Not only is it cheaper and healthier, but I usually like my food better. If you don't know how to cook yet, take the time to try to learn. I have actually become pretty good this year just by trying out recipes from the internet.

Two quick questions:

1. does anyone know if the first year budget is for 9 months or 12 months?

2. does anyone know if we need to send the admissions committee final transcripts?
thanks.

Two quick questions:

1. does anyone know if the first year budget is for 9 months or 12 months?

2. does anyone know if we need to send the admissions committee final transcripts?
thanks.

1. By the looks of it, it's 9 months because the Reed Hall lease is until June 8, 2008.

2. Yes, we do, which reminds me ;)

This is not true. I got a merit scholarship from Duke although I am not a minority.

1. By the looks of it, it's 9 months because the Reed Hall lease is until June 8, 2008.

2. Yes, we do, which reminds me ;)

Yes, the budget is for 9 months in the first year, it did change in the 2nd year. I think we got all 12 months, but somehow the amount was not much different ;)

does anyone know if first years can get parking in one of the satellite lots? i saw something about it on JHU's website but it was marked "limited availability." i'm contemplating living in canton, which isn't really shuttle accessible and was wondering if i'll actually get some kind of parking access (and i hope the answer is yes because i really like canton).

does anyone know if first years can get parking in one of the satellite lots? i saw something about it on JHU's website but it was marked "limited availability." i'm contemplating living in canton, which isn't really shuttle accessible and was wondering if i'll actually get some kind of parking access (and i hope the answer is yes because i really like canton).

At Revisit, I was told yes.

Hey everyone,

If you are interested in off-campus housing I have 2 BRs available in a 3BR townhouse on an awesome street in safe Charles Village (just a 3-minute walk to the med school shuttle). It has HW floors throughout, washer/dryer, front porch and back deck, a full kitchen, dining room and living room, a partially finished basement/rec room and possible parking. There are a ton of new shops and condos going up around the corner making this a very desired area. I am offering a 1yr lease from July to July or August to August and rent will be $650-700/month + (1/3 utils). Message me, email me ([email protected]) or give me a call at 410-465-8886 if you are interested.

thanks!

ok here's another question. according to the hopkins parking office, the monument street lot costs $65/month - but according to the school of medicine website it's free for students (less the transponder deposit). so which is it?

i should probably just call someone.

At Revisit, I was told yes.

thanks!

ok here's another question. according to the hopkins parking office, the monument street lot costs $65/month - but according to the school of medicine website it's free for students (less the transponder deposit). so which is it?

i should probably just call someone.

It is free for Hopkins students with a $20 deposit for the remote that opens the gate. You will need your Hopkis ID to get it. But again it is absolutely free and shuttle runs every 10-15 minutes in peak hours. You can look up the schedule for the shuttle on Hopkins wedsite. It is called Monument lot shuttle.

It is free for Hopkins students with a $20 deposit for the remote that opens the gate. You will need your Hopkis ID to get it. But again it is absolutely free and shuttle runs every 10-15 minutes in peak hours. You can look up the schedule for the shuttle on Hopkins wedsite. It is called Monument lot shuttle.

Whoa I'm a bit confused here. Is the Monument Lot the same as the "Satellite Lot"<-- the one that's free?

The McElderry Lot (the one that's 115+ a month) is free on afternoons and weekends right?

So on the parking office website it says that any garage that is open 24/7 is free after 4pm on weekdays and all weekends as long as you have a badge - this includes the McElderry garage. All medical students have badges.

I'm not sure if there's a Monument lot too but the parking lot I was referring to is the "Monument Street Satellite Lot."

Whoa I'm a bit confused here. Is the Monument Lot the same as the "Satellite Lot"<-- the one that's free?

The McElderry Lot (the one that's 115+ a month) is free on afternoons and weekends right?

Does anyone know the mailing address for those living in Reed Hall???

Hi All,

I am new to this forum but I was wondering what do you all think about the budget provided in the financial aid package, how much money do we actually have to spend per week? It was kind of hard for me to tell how much we actually get ourselves for our own week to week usage. Thank you for your help!

p.s.

It kind of sucks about the short winter break, especially with exams after it