Official Kaplan Aug 2004 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just so Kaplan people have a place to discuss their practice tests and progress. How's everyone doing?

Members don't see this ad.

thanks. i'm taking TPR and just looking over some stuff my kaplan friends are doing. cant believe how much more stuff yall get. i also saw that the raw score chart for your diags are different from ours. i used the kaplan table to convert my score and my last diag each section was 1 point higher using the kaplan table. what does it mean when it says its based off of kaplan students? because i was thinking if that was the case then the chart would be off because as students do diags they will do progressively better so perhaps the first test you could miss a lot more and get a 10 as opposed to later diags. thanks and good luck

I just went back to redo some of the old Physics Topical exams.. and damn.. I am getting more wrong now than I did the first time I took it. (Ie: the Work Energy Momentum one killed me!)

I'm not really sure why this seemed so much more difficult this time around.. maybe b/c the style is alittle bit different from the AAMC/Kaplan Full lengths? (so now im actually use to the plug and chugs)

Aiyah.. either my mind needs a rest or im in trouble for the 14th..

bonez318ti said:
I just went back to redo some of the old Physics Topical exams.. and damn.. I am getting more wrong now than I did the first time I took it. (Ie: the Work Energy Momentum one killed me!)

I'm not really sure why this seemed so much more difficult this time around.. maybe b/c the style is alittle bit different from the AAMC/Kaplan Full lengths? (so now im actually use to the plug and chugs)

Aiyah.. either my mind needs a rest or im in trouble for the 14th..
omg i know what u mean
i am a physics ace and like a gchem doofus
i finally started learning gchem and apparently it like interfered with my ochem and physics bc they are both on the downward slide
i need to go over old stuff next week..stuff that in the begining i never even bothered reviewing bc i could handle it...i hate this " i learning new thing and me head forget the old" paranoia/ phenomenon

Members don't see this ad :)
DieselPetrolGrl said:
omg i know what u mean
i am a physics ace and like a gchem doofus
i finally started learning gchem and apparently it like interfered with my ochem and physics bc they are both on the downward slide
i need to go over old stuff next week..stuff that in the begining i never even bothered reviewing bc i could handle it...i hate this " i learning new thing and me head forget the old" paranoia/ phenomenon
btw i meant my bobo voice when i quoted my mental self....thats my inner silly voice with bad grammar and an nasal tone :)

I just took FL #7! :mad: I got a 29! 10P, 9V, 10BS...I thought the PS was taking me FOREVER... anyone have any input on it?

Did anyone take full length 8? what do u guys think of it and whats the score conversion?

If someone is taking a Kaplan Course, could they please e-mail me the scaled score conversions sheet for full length exams 6-11. My email adress is [email protected]. Thankyou very much

hey, peopoles, i am kinda intoxicated and there is a good chance i'll miss my FL4 tomorrow morning will anyone be willing to take a look at my writing section and grade it for me//??? i diddnt take the wriiting of FL2 either so i dont have any writing section graded.

drop me a PM and i'lll send it to you as soon as i get it done...probably around tuesday.

thanksj goodnighithe

On PS passage III, the diagram does not match what they say in the passage. For problem #15, you need to use the data in the passage and not what you see on the diagram to solve the problem. I just spent 20 minutes trying to see what I did wrong. The resistances of the resistors in parallel are misprinted on the diagram.

I found it really tough, especially the PS and the BS. I could not finish like 4 pessages on PS when normally I don't have any problem with the timing. How were your grades for those who took it?

still waiting for grades but the verbal was very odd..because of the printing i thought i was done when i still had 2 passages left thanks to them leaving a big ole 2 almost blank pages ..i was so happy..till i went " hey ..that seemed a bit short.." ..and surprise surprise * grumbles *

I thought the verbal was weird. The first passage was over a page long, and then a passage later on was only a quarter of a page. I thought overall it seemed longer than usual though. BS was easy I thought, and the scale only goes up to 14, so it looks like most people did well on it. PS I thought was a little bit tough, but I ended up guessing correctly on a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody here getting a 12 or above on verbal reasoning consistently? I am thinking about hitting verbal really hard for the next 2 weeks to try and get my score up, I pretty much always get an 11 on that, and I think it would be sweet if i can move up to 12. Is this a reasonable goal?

Ok, so here's my plan for the next two weeks....

Take the sections in blocks (i.e. all of unit 1, all of unit 2, all of unit 3) and study each subject individually by doing the questions at the end of the review notes chapters. Then do any online workshops/quizzes associated with that block of material. Then do any topicals associated with that block of material. Do that for all 3 Units. While that's going on, hit the Qbank and just start banging out questions. I'd like to spend some time in the center for the sectionals. It's going to be tough, but I want to see my score go up to at least a 30 this weekend. I'm tired of these 26-24s, with VR being my highest.

Any better ideas?

ethanolabsolute said:
Is anybody here getting a 12 or above on verbal reasoning consistently? I am thinking about hitting verbal really hard for the next 2 weeks to try and get my score up, I pretty much always get an 11 on that, and I think it would be sweet if i can move up to 12. Is this a reasonable goal?

I've been getting mostly 12's. There isn't much of a difference, so I don't see why you couldn't move up. Try some of the AAMC stuff too, a couple people who really blew it up on the real thing said the Kaplan stuff wasn't always the most similar. I'm planning on working mostly on AAMC from here on with maybe a couple Kaplan tests sprinkled in.

Thanks will. Maybe Ill bust out some aamc material as well. Most of that stuff is not revised, but I guess for verbal it won't matter.

Dave, that sounds pretty intense! If u get through all of that it should help. I think if u are still scoring mid 20s, it may mean that u are deficient in ur knowledge base (for the sciences). There isn't enough time left to learn all the material for the long term, but going through all of review notes right before test day might be useful, since u don't need to remember for very long that way. Im just throwing out ideas, so do what makes since to u.

danimastani said:
I found it really tough, especially the PS and the BS. I could not finish like 4 pessages on PS when normally I don't have any problem with the timing. How were your grades for those who took it?

Yeh, I know, they are all tough aren't they? I peaked on Kaplan FL 5 then proceeded to drop in the AMCC practices. I don't know what to make of it.

holy cow. I got my lowest score today on a kaplan FL..(#7).. a full 5-6 pts lower than my last two full lengths.

i guess if anything it helps me from getting complacent..

I'm not sure if this test was actually harder than the other ones.. perhaps it is just that i am not as familiar as the topics (atleast on the PS). I think the BS on FL7 was just a poorly written test...

atleast i know what i need to study..

Anybody else annoyed that there are so many alkenes and aromatics questions on BS? I wish they would just cut the irrelevant material.

Yeah, it seems to me the whole BS section is still pretty focused on organic compared to what the real thing might be.

any opinions on 8,9 or 11r kaplan ful lengths ..i am trying to pick one and then take that and 5r before the real thing
if anyone feels one is more indicative than the other i would appreciate any input.
thanks !

anyone has the answer keys to this test or a link to the explanations?
I'm not taking a course with kaplan, but i took one of their free exams. I don't want to go back to the center to get answers b/c I live quite far from it. Thank you!

Is anyone's class still going on? My last full length was last sunday, I'm just floating on my own now. Think I'm going to stick with AAMC stuff from here on out. What about you guys?

I kind of wish mine didn't end until later. It is strange when you have been preparing with the same people 2 or 3 times a week for 3 months and then all of a sudden you are all alone. If it wasn't for SDN I would really feel all alone! :scared: :D

My last class would be this thursday, FL 5 this weekend.

Hey Will, are you practicing with the AAMC passages that Kaplan provide? What do you think of them? I am debating whether to use those or the TPR stuff I got.

silkworm said:
My last class would be this thursday, FL 5 this weekend.

Hey Will, are you practicing with the AAMC passages that Kaplan provide? What do you think of them? I am debating whether to use those or the TPR stuff I got.

Well my Kaplan center has 5r and 6r but they never got 7 and they only have the old version of 4. They tried to tell me they would get 7 before the exam but I knew better. So I got 7 on my own. I was also debating how many practice tests to take before the real thing. I took 4r monday and then I took 5r wednesday and I was planning on taking 6r, 7, and probably 2 Kaplan FL's before the real thing. But I think I am going to just spread out 6r and 7 and finish up with that. I think 2 realistic practice tests from now until next week is plenty for me. Those TPR A-D tests are pretty tough I heard, I might work through them just kind of as practice, but I don't think I would take them realistically and score them. I don't see the value of getting a score 5 points worse than usual a couple days before the test. :laugh: Are you planning on taking the AAMC tests?

willthatsall said:
Well my Kaplan center has 5r and 6r but they never got 7 and they only have the old version of 4. They tried to tell me they would get 7 before the exam but I knew better. So I got 7 on my own. I was also debating how many practice tests to take before the real thing. I took 4r monday and then I took 5r wednesday and I was planning on taking 6r, 7, and probably 2 Kaplan FL's before the real thing. But I think I am going to just spread out 6r and 7 and finish up with that. I think 2 realistic practice tests from now until next week is plenty for me. Those TPR A-D tests are pretty tough I heard, I might work through them just kind of as practice, but I don't think I would take them realistically and score them. I don't see the value of getting a score 5 points worse than usual a couple days before the test. :laugh: Are you planning on taking the AAMC tests?

I guess I am a masochist, but it's a good way to gauge progress against tough passages. I've already taken 3R 4R 5R. 3R and 5R I took in June and 4R I took last week. So I am planning to take Kaplan #5, 6R, 7, EK 3g in these last ten days. And hopefully I will squeeze TPR Test D in there somewhere, perhaps I will do it in my sleep.

Hi guys,
I know kaplan verbal is suppose to be easy than the real thing. But, man! I just got killed on the no. 5 full length. I made a 9 but just barely by one question. So, I will consider that an 8. I took the verbal section of Full length 6 today and got 36/60 right :confused: . I think that's another 7 or eight. So far my verbal scores have been 9, 10, 9,8,9. I am scared! any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
kid.

I went to my Kaplan center today only to find out that they don't have 5R and 6R there. That was kind of lame. The thing that surprised me, was that lots of people were there, taking the unrevised aamc mcats! Isn't that kind of useless since they won't have the right content on them anyway?

Well the old AAMC tests have basically the same stuff. The verbal has all the questions the new one has but also has 5 extra questions sprinkled throughout, the PS section is exactly the same, and the BS section is a little different. I know this from reviewing 4r with the solutions to 4.

willthatsall said:
Well the old AAMC tests have basically the same stuff. The verbal has all the questions the new one has but also has 5 extra questions sprinkled throughout, the PS section is exactly the same, and the BS section is a little different. I know this from reviewing 4r with the solutions to 4.

I see. So do the old tests actually have the exact same questions as the new tests, with out of date questions replaced with the new ones?

The PS is exactly the same, nothing changed. The verbal has all of the questions the new one has, but the old version has five extra questions (65 instead of 60). The passages are all the same though. The BS has changed the most, but is largely the same. (Probably 6-7 questions that were not the exact same, including one organic passage that had been replaced with another organic passage of another topic)

willthatsall said:
The PS is exactly the same, nothing changed. The verbal has all of the questions the new one has, but the old version has five extra questions (65 instead of 60). The passages are all the same though. The BS has changed the most, but is largely the same. (Probably 6-7 questions that were not the exact same, including one organic passage that had been replaced with another organic passage of another topic)

Yikes, that is very similar. I am definitely gonna hit up a couple of those tests then. thanks very much for the info will.

What are all of u guys doing for this final week? is anyone else gonna take anymore practice tests?

This question has probably been asked before....but...

I just took the physical sciences portion of 6R. It seemed way different than the Kaplan tests. I bounced my score up 2 points and actually had time left over. What's up with that? Are the AAMC practice exams like the real thing or are they easier to 'lull you into overconfidence'....

Are the AAMCs just their idea of a review or are they the real thing?

I was getting kind of bummed as my score didn't go up any over the last 3 Kaplan FL's, but this was a nice surprise....

Head down, tuck the ball into your gut and look for the holes in the line......

Hey DaveinDallas,

I hope I have the same experience with AAMC 7 this week...everyone says PS is much harder on Kaplan tests, and I hope this is true because if you look at the Kaplan scaled scores and those of the AAMC tests you generally need to get 10-15 more questions right on the AAMC ones to get the same score (at least that's true to get a 9, what I've gotten on most of my Kaplan FL's). Hopefully the easier PS compensates for the more demanding scales, it sounds like it did for you at least. Good luck! :luck:

DaveinDallas said:
This question has probably been asked before....but...

I just took the physical sciences portion of 6R. It seemed way different than the Kaplan tests. I bounced my score up 2 points and actually had time left over. What's up with that? Are the AAMC practice exams like the real thing or are they easier to 'lull you into overconfidence'....

Are the AAMCs just their idea of a review or are they the real thing?

I was getting kind of bummed as my score didn't go up any over the last 3 Kaplan FL's, but this was a nice surprise....

Head down, tuck the ball into your gut and look for the holes in the line......

I think that is probably a good sign for you. From people I have talked to, 6r was the most realistic practice test they took for the April MCAT. In general the AAMC PS sections are quite a bit easier, but the conversion chart is tighter.

im off to take 6r..so bummed kaplan doesnt have 7 so i may be buying it...can i sen them the bill? haha ..im serious.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
im off to take 6r..so bummed kaplan doesnt have 7 so i may be buying it...can i sen them the bill? haha ..im serious.

Yeah, for as much as the course costs, I think u really should be able to buy that test and send them the bill.

Anyone do the AAMC Verbal problem set? What did you think about the difficulty of them? Comparable to kaplan? comparable to the later AAMC practice tests?

bonez318ti said:
Anyone do the AAMC Verbal problem set? What did you think about the difficulty of them? Comparable to kaplan? comparable to the later AAMC practice tests?

I did. Seemed a bit easier than both Kaplan & the AAMC's, prolly b/c it's quite old. I read somewhere on Kaplan that said even though they're old, they're supposed to be good for when you first start out on verbal to get familiar with the format even though they may not represent the current trends in verbal.