Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's make this the official MCW thread. Questions, notices, or anything else for that matter regarding MCW should be slapped onto here.

I talked to admissions today and they said we should be receiving a packet of information mid to late May.

I also talked to Financial aid and the award letters should be out late may/early june.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what parking at MCW is like? Are there bike lockers available?

Code Brown said:

I doubt there are bike lockers...that's not something you run across too often in WI. I'm sure there is a bike rack, though.

There's a pretty big parking lot that I think is specifically for students. If you drove to the interview it's the one they told us to park in. I didn't have a problem finding a spot. It's about a block and a half from the school, which is a lot shorter hike than the one I had to take from the lot I parked in when I worked at Froedtert Hospital!

I'm going down to Milwaukee (from Madison) to look at some apartments tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy15430 said:
I'm going down to Milwaukee (from Madison) to look at some apartments tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Have fun hunting! We'll be flying in next weekend to do the same and making the big move from California at the end of May. :thumbup:

Hey guys! I wish very much to be in your positions. I want to go to MCW sooo badly. It's my top choice school and I will do anything to be accepted there. Is there any advice that you have for me as far as my application is concerned? Interviews? phone calls i need to make? etc.... Thanks. :)

dragonmate said:
Hey guys! I wish very much to be in your positions. I want to go to MCW sooo badly. It's my top choice school and I will do anything to be accepted there. Is there any advice that you have for me as far as my application is concerned? Interviews? phone calls i need to make? etc.... Thanks. :)

Just get that application in ASAP. It's one of the few things about the application process that you have total control over, so take advantage and apply early!

Code Brown said:

Parking's free and there are bike racks out front.

Whoooaaaa ....... there is no place to park at MCW anymore. The lot was destroyed about two months ago to break ground on another research building. The med students now park 6 blocks away and take a shuttle bus to class.

Count me in for the MCW Class of 2009. I pledge here and now before my friends at SDN and future classmates to bring a little "Funk" to Milwaukee medicine.

No, but seriously, I can't wait for school to start. My fiance and I will be in town mid-May to search for apartments and hope to move at the end of July. Can't come soon enough in my opinion!

With all those other MCW threads going on, I was wondering when someone would finally start the "official" thread to tidy things up a bit. I would have, but I'm on the waitlist. :( And another one too... :scared:

Congrats to all accepted to MCW! Its a great school and you'll get a good education here. :)

If you're waitlisted, let them know how badly you'd like to attend. I think its too early to find out your rank...but the list does move a lot...so don't give up on it.

Maple

That sucks about parking. Does anyone know about wifi at the school? I'm looking forward to quitting my job and doing something else, though in several months I'll probably be questioning why I ever wanted to do that.

OrganicMLover said:
Whoooaaaa ....... there is no place to park at MCW anymore. The lot was destroyed about two months ago to break ground on another research building. The med students now park 6 blocks away and take a shuttle bus to class.

Really. Damn. A lot can happen in a few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy15430 said:
Just get that application in ASAP. It's one of the few things about the application process that you have total control over, so take advantage and apply early!
Thanks Andy. I'm clicking that submit button the day I recieve my MCAT scores. speaking of which, do any of you guys know how MCW looks at GPA vs MCAT?? I have a 3.891 GPA, but am very worried about the MCAT. I'm afraid I got something b/w a 27 and 29. If so, does that ruin my chances? Any input would be very helpful.

dragonmate said:
Thanks Andy. I'm clicking that submit button the day I recieve my MCAT scores. speaking of which, do any of you guys know how MCW looks at GPA vs MCAT?? I have a 3.891 GPA, but am very worried about the MCAT. I'm afraid I got something b/w a 27 and 29. If so, does that ruin my chances? Any input would be very helpful.

With your GPA, I would say you'll probably be fine. Being early seems to be the biggest deal with MCW as I know several people with great stats that were rejected after a late application. Looking at older stats from MCW, their ave. GPA is 3.7 and average MCAT score per section is 9.9.

Does anyone know what kind of budget you get for the first year from financial aid over and above your tuition/fees? What's the maximum you can get? I mean, are we going to be living off of Mac and Cheese?

Here's the Budget for 2005 - 2006: http://www.mcw.edu/display/router.asp?docid=959

It definitely looks doable. However, I don't see any allotment for a car payment, car insurance, cell phone bill, ect. So if you're still planning on having these monthly bills while in school, like I am, I guess we'll have to skim from the top of our housing budget. That's what I'm planning on doing. ;)

Maybe you guys know how this works. The estimated total budget for M1 is $44,965 right? Now each year you're allowed $8,500 in Federal Subsidized and $18,500 in Unsubsidized. That's a total of $27,000. Now that still leaves $17,965 left unpaid. Do we have to go outside MCW to get the remaining funding or do they directly lend the remaining money to us? Now I'm sure we're taking at an interest rate somewhere around 6%, which actively compounds while we're in school right? So this leaves us with $34,000 in total subsidized, $74,000 + interest in unsubsidized, and $71,860 + interest + tuition increases + higher cost of M2 – M4 in alternative loans after four years. This leaves us with much more than $179,860 in debt when you take into account interest, tuition increases and the higher cost of M2 – M4. I'm thinking somewhere closer to $200,000! For the other out of state poor folk like myself, is this doable or should I be on my hands and knees begging to get off my state school waitlist? I would really love to go to MCW but thinking about this debt is really freaking me out. :barf: Am I alone?

GATORade said:
Maybe you guys know how this works. The estimated total budget for M1 is $44,965 right? Now each year you're allowed $8,500 in Federal Subsidized and $18,500 in Unsubsidized. That's a total of $27,000. Now that still leaves $17,965 left unpaid. Do we have to go outside MCW to get the remaining funding or do they directly lend the remaining money to us? Now I'm sure we're taking at an interest rate somewhere around 6%, which actively compounds while we're in school right? So this leaves us with $34,000 in total subsidized, $74,000 + interest in unsubsidized, and $71,860 + interest + tuition increases + higher cost of M2 – M4 in alternative loans after four years. This leaves us with much more than $179,860 in debt when you take into account interest, tuition increases and the higher cost of M2 – M4. I'm thinking somewhere closer to $200,000! For the other out of state poor folk like myself, is this doable or should I be on my hands and knees begging to get off my state school waitlist? I would really love to go to MCW but thinking about this debt is really freaking me out. :barf: Am I alone?

I am pretty sure i will be at mcw in the fall and am also currently on my state school waitlist. I am not really sure how this works but i think the government will give us 38,500 and the rest we get through a private bank.( MCW will give us a list of recommended lenders)

I've mentioned it before, but I live and work a few minutes away from MCW.

If anyone needs info, or newspaper clippings, apartment magazines, let me know - I can help you out, after all, that's the point of SDN right?

I'm in. See you all there.

The correct pronunciation is "Milly-wah-kay," which is Algonquin for "the good land."

Does anyone know if the library or classrooms has wireless internet?

ZappBrannigan said:
Does anyone know if the library or classrooms has wireless internet?

When I toured in December, the student guide said they didn't. That will probably change in the next couple years.

Success! After a fairly painful search, I think my girlfriend and I have found a great apartment to live in next year. It's a 5 min drive from school, although I will probably be riding my bike when it's nice out due to the new parking situation.

Our best leads wound up coming from flyers posted on the bulletin boards at MCW. A lot of the places we found out about from the classifieds were in pretty tough shape, so I would definitely recommend stopping at MCW to get some ideas.

Andy15430 said:
Success! After a fairly painful search, I think my girlfriend and I have found a great apartment to live in next year. It's a 5 min drive from school, although I will probably be riding my bike when it's nice out due to the new parking situation.

Our best leads wound up coming from flyers posted on the bulletin boards at MCW. A lot of the places we found out about from the classifieds were in pretty tough shape, so I would definitely recommend stopping at MCW to get some ideas.

We'll be going there this weekend. Is there any place that we should avoid so that we don't waste our time? Any details about where you ended up renting and how much you paid? If you don't want to post it on here, can you at least PM me? Thanks in advance.

So far, we have the following places lined up for our visit:

The Reserve
Normandy
The Overlook
A couple of individual condos

Code Brown said:
We'll be going there this weekend. Is there any place that we should avoid so that we don't waste our time? Any details about where you ended up renting and how much you paid? If you don't want to post it on here, can you at least PM me? Thanks in advance.

So far, we have the following places lined up for our visit:

The Reserve
Normandy
The Overlook
A couple of individual condos

I'm still an undergrad but I will be living in The Reserve next year. The apartments are really, really nice as everything inside seems like brand new. Not sure what you're used to paying but for a 2 BR/2 Bath that is 1300 sq ft we'll be paying about $1350 a month after factoring in utilities/electric/cable/internet/phone. It's only about 5-7 minutes away from MCW so it's nice and close. It's also gated and parking is free. Oh yeah, if you like fake-baking, apparently there is a free tanning room at The Reserve, my g/f was definitely pumped about that, thought that just means I'll have to watch her closely and make sure she doesn't turn orange. If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me or IM me (same as username).

Anyone have an idea about how much we should be looking to pay for rent in the Wauwatosa area? Does approximately $500 sound right?

Has anyone received a financial aid package from MCW yet? What kind of package do you think we can expect?

Code Brown - would you be willing to post or PM me your experiences at those places? Are you just spending the weekend there? I should figure out when I'm going to go apartment hunting.

It seems like there are a lot of questions about housing around MCW...does anyone else think it might be nice to start a post about housing options around the school with important amenities, location, and price listed for each housing option? I have a small list started that I could use to get us started if there is any demand for this info.

DoctorFunk said:
It seems like there are a lot of questions about housing around MCW...does anyone else think it might be nice to start a post about housing options around the school with important amenities, location, and price listed for each housing option? I have a small list started that I could use to get us started if there is any demand for this info.

I have a list, too. A housing thread might be nice, but then again it might end up in the housing forum and get lost forever.

Even though I'm waitlisted, I've been checking out housing options online lately (in 3 different cities at that). Is anyone else concerned about the MCW budget for housing and utilities? It's only $550 per month. Say you live in a 1-bedroom at the Reserve, it's ~$850 a month :eek: As an additional example, on apartments.com, I'm having a hard time finding places in the Wauwatosa/West Allis/East side for much less than $700 a month. How does MCW expect us to make do on a $550 budget? I understand they want double occupancy, but I don't want to live with someone I've never met and run the risk of completely hating that person. Plus since I'm waitlisted, I might be getting a place at the last minute. Am I just freaking out, or is anyone else concerned about this?

akpete said:
Even though I'm waitlisted, I've been checking out housing options online lately (in 3 different cities at that). Is anyone else concerned about the MCW budget for housing and utilities? It's only $550 per month. Say you live in a 1-bedroom at the Reserve, it's ~$850 a month :eek: As an additional example, on apartments.com, I'm having a hard time finding places in the Wauwatosa/West Allis/East side for much less than $700 a month. How does MCW expect us to make do on a $550 budget? I understand they want double occupancy, but I don't want to live with someone I've never met and run the risk of completely hating that person. Plus since I'm waitlisted, I might be getting a place at the last minute. Am I just freaking out, or is anyone else concerned about this?
I'm not concerned, but then again I plan to live with another M1.

The Reserve is an expensive example. Also, many places that advertise online tend to be more expensive than places rented out through classified ads. I don't plan on living with a roommate, either. The budget is only 550 for rent and utilities, but maybe you could move some money around from other places if your parents pay your car insurance or you don't spend 200 a month on food. It's rough but hopefully doable.

ZappBrannigan said:
Code Brown - would you be willing to post or PM me your experiences at those places? Are you just spending the weekend there? I should figure out when I'm going to go apartment hunting.

I'll be glad to fire it up on here when we get back (heck, maybe even from the hotel). We fly in Friday night and leave on Monday night. Hopefully we'll find something by then.

By the way, for those of you planning to come down here before school starts, the best hotel rate we got was from the Holiday Inn Express in Wauwatosa (by Mayfair Mall). The MCW rate was $63 but the Entertainment Card rate was $59. Includes local calls, breakfast and free high-speed internet (need a laptop).

As a fellow M1 this fall I'm also concerned about housing and I was just curious if any of you had considered taking advantage of the Student Housing Book? You just fill out a roommate questionnaire and then they compile all of the data in a book and you can find roommate/s with similar living styles and interest. (You may all know this but it hasn't been mentioned so I figured I would). Here is the link http://www.mcw.edu/display/router.asp?docid=878
I don't see why having a roommate would be terrible if you could have some find someone with similar interest. I personally could live with anyone but I could see how some people couldn't. Besides the obvious advantages like lower rent and utilities they could also give you someone to talk to once and awhile when you don't have your nose in a book. Keep you sane basically.
Anyone interested in a clean roommate PM me...I have a lot of other fine traits too. :cool:

Oh one question to anyone familiar with milwaukee. Is there any chance of living close enough to make a moped useful? I'm currently in madison and it's the best but I don't know how it would work in Mil-town.

What goes on during the first week or school at MCW (orientation week)? Classes don't start until the second week right?

There's been some talk about getting contact lists together and such.

If you want to be included on a list of AOL Instant Messenger screen names, please PM me and give me your screen name. Or, you can send it to me at EMT Splat on IM. For the sake of convenience, please include your forum name as well. When I have compiled several, I'll put them in this thread. I just figured we could keep the thread shorter and cleaner if one person collects them all first.

Thanks!
--Marc

Somebody brought up a good point to me about not wanting information made public, so I've come up with a different idea to keep a certain level of privacy...

The contact list won't be posted IN this thread, but I'd be happy to maintain it. If you send me your information, I'll send you the contact list when I've compiled a decent number of contacts. In other words, you can only view the contact list if you've given me your own information to include. This way we can include other information if you want, like email, phone number, address, whatever, and still maintain a bit of privacy. It's up to you what information you want!

I believe orientation starts August 8th and classes start August 15th. If anyone knows what orientation entails... please throw a post up here at let the rest of us know. Here is my contact info:

AOL: RZimmanck
e-mail: [email protected]
cell: 847-989-2994

Also...would anyone be interested in getting together with other MCW SDNers the weekend before oreintation starts up in Tosa. We could have a BBQ that sunday or get together at some restaurant on saturday sometime. It might be a nice informal way to get to know some people before orientation starts. Let me know what you guys think.

Rob

Rob, I think a BBQ would be a great idea to break the ice before class starts.
Here's my info:
email: [email protected]
cell: (310) 592-0428

-Becky

I'm moving from California, and I am wondering if I should try to rent a U-Haul or other truck and bring my stuff with me, or if I should just load up my car with as much stuff as I can and buy the heavy furniture once I get there.

How do I go about finding what places are around MCW that sell cheap furniture? Is there an IKEA around? Is it enough time if I give myself one week before orientation starts to get buy my furniture and get settled?

I'm wondering if I should get a lease beginning in July or in August. Starting a lease in August give me a week to settle down, while in July its a whole month.

-Becky

Agent Splat said:
Somebody brought up a good point to me about not wanting information made public, so I've come up with a different idea to keep a certain level of privacy...

The contact list won't be posted IN this thread, but I'd be happy to maintain it. If you send me your information, I'll send you the contact list when I've compiled a decent number of contacts. In other words, you can only view the contact list if you've given me your own information to include. This way we can include other information if you want, like email, phone number, address, whatever, and still maintain a bit of privacy. It's up to you what information you want!

Hi! I've included my email address in another posting below...i'd love to get the contact list when its a decent size. Thanks for maintaining it Agent Splat.
-Becky

[There is an Ikea in shaumburg ( a suburb of Chicago). It's probably like an hour and 45 minutes from MCW.

Is there a Target close by? Some of the furniture in the Target catalog is decent and the price is definitely right.

Rebecca and Zman, it might not be such a great idea to circulate your private contact info on a public site. It's probably a better idea to get a PM circulated.

Wow...you guys and gals are so industrious...I love it!

-There are several Targets/Wal-Marts, etc. in the area, as well as many furniture stores. Also, you'll be moving during yard sale season--I know some people that got some decent furniture that way.
-As for moving, one of my roommies brought a UHaul from Denver, the other FLEW out here, shipped his clothes, and bought furniture and a car when he got here, so it works either way (though I personally can't imaging driving a UHaul from Cali to MKE).
-I know of one person that rode a moped occasionally, but they're definitely not as common as madison.
-roommates--it's hit or miss, but interestingly, most people hit. there are lots of people that have lived together all three years and are best friends...all because of the roommate list. It doesn't always work out, but I can't think of any horror stories, either.
-Housing: the reserve isn't just an expensive example, it's probably the most expensive example. anecdotally, the best deals are found on the MCW bulletin boards. It can be tough to swing on your own, but it's certainly possible. As far as when to start a lease, it doesn't really matter, because eventually you'll want a lease that ends the May you graduate. It mostly depends on how long you'll need to get settled and when you wanna move. Keep in mind that your financial aid doesn't cover July rent.
-Orientation: A whirlwind intro to MCW, med school, Milwaukee, etc. There are lots of social activities and chances to meet people. There's also lots of standing in line for various reasons, and lots of info that you probably won't remember. Use it as a time to get your bearings and make friends. My class started a tradition of having the M2s plan a different social event (read: go to a different bar) each night. You'll get plenty of info about orientation in the next month or so, but rest assured that the M2 class will have a large roll, so it will be as tolerable as possible.

Again, I think it's great how you guys are taking advantage of SDN to help each other out like this--it's people doing cool things like that that make MCW a great place to be. Take care and enjoy your summers.

Rebecca121480 said:
I'm moving from California, and I am wondering if I should try to rent a U-Haul or other truck and bring my stuff with me, or if I should just load up my car with as much stuff as I can and buy the heavy furniture once I get there.

How do I go about finding what places are around MCW that sell cheap furniture? Is there an IKEA around? Is it enough time if I give myself one week before orientation starts to get buy my furniture and get settled?

I'm wondering if I should get a lease beginning in July or in August. Starting a lease in August give me a week to settle down, while in July its a whole month.

-Becky

I am moving from atlanta and am just gonna take whatever i can fit in my car. I will prob take most of my cloths when i go to look for housing in may/june and store it in a public storage

If you can afford it ...moving in the middle of july would allow time to get to know the area and settle down

The contact list is already coming along nicely, everybody. Thanks!

For anybody else interested, here's what's up: People have been sending me PMs on the message board with everything from AOL IM screenames to their full names and even cell phone numbers and email addresses. That's awesome!

I've sorta created a table listing with names, forum names, slots for IM screename, phone number, email address, and "other" (being other screenames like MSN, ICQ, whatever, home address, whatever). Anything you want to contribute about your self is awesome.

What are you waiting for? Come play with us.
--mdb