Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Should I retake?
PS 12 V 11 BS 12 total 35
BUT!!! I'm an international student, and most schools that I am aiming for have an average of 36+
No. They will think you are insane. The only way it helps is if you can demonstrate your first score wasn't representative of what you are capable of.

Reactions: 1 users
This isn't exactly about retaking, but more about voiding

I have been averaging around 26-29 on the practice MCATs [still have 10 and 11 left to do], and my actual test is one week.

I was hoping to score 30+ on the actual MCAT.
I have scored minimally at 10 on both PS/BS sections --- except the VR section kills me [I usually get a 6, with a max of 8 so far].

I can't cancel the test. What should I do? Should I just do the test and void the MCAT and take it again in Jan 2015?

During this time, I'm going to have school - but I believe I can study in between every now and then [practicing verbal every other day]+ I have 2 weeks off before next semester begins.

So far::

4: 10/6/9 25
5: 10/8/9 30
7: 10/8/12 25
8: 10/6/10 26
9: 10/8/11 29

I want to apply for MD; would getting somewhere from 26-29 on this test and then scoring a 30+ on the 2015 one look good for an application?
Or would you guys recommend voiding, and hopefully scoring 30+ on the 2015 one?

This isn't exactly about retaking, but more about voiding

I have been averaging around 26-29 on the practice MCATs [still have 10 and 11 left to do], and my actual test is one week.

I was hoping to score 30+ on the actual MCAT.
I have scored minimally at 10 on both PS/BS sections --- except the VR section kills me [I usually get a 6, with a max of 8 so far].

I can't cancel the test. What should I do? Should I just do the test and void the MCAT and take it again in Jan 2015?

During this time, I'm going to have school - but I believe I can study in between every now and then [practicing verbal every other day]+ I have 2 weeks off before next semester begins.

So far::

4: 10/6/9 25
5: 10/8/9 30
7: 10/8/12 25
8: 10/6/10 26
9: 10/8/11 29

I want to apply for MD; would getting somewhere from 26-29 on this test and then scoring a 30+ on the 2015 one look good for an application?
Or would you guys recommend voiding, and hopefully scoring 30+ on the 2015 one?

My own experience as an international student:

I was worried about my verbal before my July 25 exam, as my verbal practice exam ranges from 6 to 8... I was even considering a private verbal tutor a week before the exam. But I ended up getting a 11 on the actual exam.

So the bottom line is believe in yourself. You might get passages that you like on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 32 (V12 P 10 B 10) but I was scoring within the 33-36 range on my practice tests. I was pretty nervous I guess and think I would be calmer the second time around. Retake?

Hello SDN Forums,

My scores were recently released and I got a 33 (PS 11/VR 12/BS 10). I am applying to medical school this cycle and am wondering if it is in my best interest to re-take given that most of my target schools have average scores in the 35-37 range. I'm particularly concerned that my score is somewhat inflated by VR, and I fear that this particular section is given relatively little weight as compared to the sciences to begin with.

Initially, I had thought that retaking the exam was a no-brainer given the obvious discrepancy between my scores and the average scores at the schools I'm most interested in. However, after reading through some of the posts in this thread, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. A post a page back in particular stuck out to me because a student in situation similar to my own (33 with fairly balanced scores) was strenuously advised not to retake and cautioned that retaking would most likely be viewed by admissions officers as sign of poor judgement. Is this true even at schools with average scores well above my 33 ?

At this point, I could either go forward and retake the exam this coming Wednesday as planned, or hope that the rest of my application is somehow exceptional enough to prop up the low MCAT scores. There is risk involved in retaking the exam and I'm horrified at the thought that I somehow won't improve my scores on the retake and look the fool for having attempted it. Furthermore, if I do improve, will raising my score from a 33 to, say, a 35 or a 36 even make an appreciable difference ? Some days, it feels as if those 2-3 extra points are the difference between acceptance and having my application screened before it's even looked at. Obviously, I'm struggling with a rather myopic perspective on the issue, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Relevant background information :

AAMC Practice Exam scores thus far :

nº3 - 37 (13/13/11)
nº8 - 32 (10/12/10)
nº9 - 35 (10/13/12)
nº10 - 35 (11/14/10)

Undergrad GPA : 4,00 Cum. GPA : 3,99 BCPM : 3,98

- Bilingual in French/English
- EC's are somewhat atypical. I've never done any sort of research outside of my undergraduate coursework (which was mostly in Psychology/Sociology) and took nearly all of my premed courses post-bac. I'm 24 years old now and have already had a fairly successful career competing internationally in figure skating. I had to retire several years ago due to injury, but until that point, training full-time and keeping up with my studies didn't leave too much time for loads of EC's to pad out my application aside from a bit of volunteer work. I'm hoping that the decade and a half I spent skating is interesting to schools considering I was doing it at an Olympic level.
- I don't have much formal physician shadowing logged, but I grew up in a medical family and have spent countless hours in and around hospitals and medical offices informally "shadowing" my mother, grandfather, and the other doctors with whom they worked.
- Most of my letters of evaluation are from the aforementioned "other doctors" who have come to know me well over the years ; some of them are respected alumni of the medical schools I am applying to.

Hello SDN Forums,

My scores were recently released and I got a 33 (PS 11/VR 12/BS 10). I am applying to medical school this cycle and am wondering if it is in my best interest to re-take given that most of my target schools have average scores in the 35-37 range. I'm particularly concerned that my score is somewhat inflated by VR, and I fear that this particular section is given relatively little weight as compared to the sciences to begin with.

Initially, I had thought that retaking the exam was a no-brainer given the obvious discrepancy between my scores and the average scores at the schools I'm most interested in. However, after reading through some of the posts in this thread, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. A post a page back in particular stuck out to me because a student in situation similar to my own (33 with fairly balanced scores) was strenuously advised not to retake and cautioned that retaking would most likely be viewed by admissions officers as sign of poor judgement. Is this true even at schools with average scores well above my 33 ?

At this point, I could either go forward and retake the exam this coming Wednesday as planned, or hope that the rest of my application is somehow exceptional enough to prop up the low MCAT scores. There is risk involved in retaking the exam and I'm horrified at the thought that I somehow won't improve my scores on the retake and look the fool for having attempted it. Furthermore, if I do improve, will raising my score from a 33 to, say, a 35 or a 36 even make an appreciable difference ? Some days, it feels as if those 2-3 extra points are the difference between acceptance and having my application screened before it's even looked at. Obviously, I'm struggling with a rather myopic perspective on the issue, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Relevant background information :

AAMC Practice Exam scores thus far :

nº3 - 37 (13/13/11)
nº8 - 32 (10/12/10)
nº9 - 35 (10/13/12)
nº10 - 35 (11/14/10)

Undergrad GPA : 4,00 Cum. GPA : 3,99 BCPM : 3,98

- Bilingual in French/English
- EC's are somewhat atypical. I've never done any sort of research outside of my undergraduate coursework (which was mostly in Psychology/Sociology) and took nearly all of my premed courses post-bac. I'm 24 years old now and have already had a fairly successful career competing internationally in figure skating. I had to retire several years ago due to injury, but until that point, training full-time and keeping up with my studies didn't leave too much time for loads of EC's to pad out my application aside from a bit of volunteer work. I'm hoping that the decade and a half I spent skating is interesting to schools considering I was doing it at an Olympic level.
- I don't have much formal physician shadowing logged, but I grew up in a medical family and have spent countless hours in and around hospitals and medical offices informally "shadowing" my mother, grandfather, and the other doctors with whom they worked.
- Most of my letters of evaluation are from the aforementioned "other doctors" who have come to know me well over the years ; some of them are respected alumni of the medical schools I am applying to.

I would focus on improving your extracurriculars if anything. Hanging out at hospitals with your family isn't really shadowing, and you have no volunteer work or research, and I expect that schools would notice that your letters could be considered biased. (Family friends etc.)

If you are applying exclusively to the types of schools that are 35-37 level then I would expect these would be red flags beyond your MCAT score. Research is generally really important in these places, upwards of 90+ percent of applicants have some research experience, and 90+ have volunteer work as well. However, your skating is pretty rad and will help you if these sections are weak, but it might not be okay for them to be totally absent.

Plus your GPA is awesome. I think your MCAT score is fantastic and it would be really really silly to retake it. If you look at the scale it is scored on it would be really easy to end up with a 33 or even a 32, and you would be super late in the cycle by then, and perhaps look silly. And I am almost certain that no school screens a 33.

Plus, from what I have heard VR is actually one of the most looked at sections (so good job!)

So obviously the question is: should I retake if I'm looking for allopathic schools in ohio?

-Some quick relevant information: I'm an honors biomedical engineering major with an entrepreneurship minor at Ohio State
- My aGPA: 3.46
-My sGPA: 3.59
-My MCAT score: 29 (PS: 11, VR: 8 (ugh), BS: 10)
-I've volunteered at the OSU medical center for my 2nd year, couldn't do it my 3rd (I'll explain a bit later), and are volunteering the rest of this year for 2 hours a week in both cases
-Research: currently working in a breast cancer research lab as a volunteer for about 10 hours a week
-Extra-Curriculars: I have ben a member of the Biomedical Engineering Society here for all 4 years and am now the VP of the society.
-Employment: Here's where things get a little more interesting. So as an engineering major and an entrepreneurship minor, I was lucky enough to gain a co-op rotation at Ethicon Endo-Surgery (Johnson & Johnson branch) in Cincinnati helping design minimally invasive medical devices I was also invited back for a second term and accepted. These two rotations were in the fall of my 3rd year (why I couldn't volunteer) and this past summer. They were full time jobs at 40+ hours a week for 14 weeks.

That is so cool! I would consider retaking if you want to apply next year. This year I feel like it is getting kind of late. And your unique experience will really shine if you get past the initial look. You're in-state and my guess is that it's very likely that they will interview you.

If you are applying exclusively to the types of schools that are 35-37 level then I would expect these would be red flags beyond your MCAT score. Research is generally really important in these places, upwards of 90+ percent of applicants have some research experience, and 90+ have volunteer work as well. However, your skating is pretty rad and will help you if these sections are weak, but it might not be okay for them to be totally absent.

Plus your GPA is awesome. I think your MCAT score is fantastic and it would be really really silly to retake it. If you look at the scale it is scored on it would be really easy to end up with a 33 or even a 32, and you would be super late in the cycle by then, and perhaps look silly. And I am almost certain that no school screens a 33.

Thank you so much for your response. I actually do have several hundred hours of volunteer work logged, but not in a clinical setting. I'm more concerned about research experience - it's been two years since I got my bachelor's, and I just finished the last of my post-bac courses. Being that I'm no longer affiliated with a university, how would I even begin to go about earning a research position for one, particularly now that I'm no longer technically a student ? Also, isn't it a bit too late in the cycle to begin an undertaking of this magnitude ? I have several years' worth of research methods and statistics courses (required for my majors) which included small-scale research projects, and even those minor projects tended to take 6-8 weeks to complete. I can't imagine that worthwhile "proper" research would proceed much more quickly.

Thank you so much for your response. I actually do have several hundred hours of volunteer work logged, but not in a clinical setting. I'm more concerned about research experience - it's been two years since I got my bachelor's, and I just finished the last of my post-bac courses. Being that I'm no longer affiliated with a university, how would I even begin to go about earning a research position for one, particularly now that I'm no longer technically a student ? Also, isn't it a bit too late in the cycle to begin an undertaking of this magnitude ? I have several years' worth of research methods and statistics courses (required for my majors) which included small-scale research projects, and even those minor projects tended to take 6-8 weeks to complete. I can't imagine that worthwhile "proper" research would proceed much more quickly.

It is a bit late in the cycle. I would not stress for this round but definitely wouldn't retake the mcat, as it is perfectly competitive. You are looking at the top 10 percent versus 5 percent. That's a totally different thing than the top 30% (28) versus the top 10% (33). You won't get screened out by any schools unless your section scores are below a 10. And I really do agree that it could be a red flag and a big risk. Especially since what is on the test is such a crapshoot.

If I were you I would apply exclusively to those schools that you really want to go to right now. The reason I say this is that it seems like you know that you have that thing with your skating everyone kind of wants, an "angle." Some schools will say "jeez, this is amazing, and this individual has kick ass stats" and ignore the lack of research and volunteer work. And if they don't, then you can get some more clinical/research exposure in the next year and get into any school you want next year. It is the single weakness in your application and unlike a poor GPA, it's something you can do something about reasonably easily. I wouldn't risk being accepted at an institution you don't want to actually matriculate at.

Most pre-meds don't get published or make stunning discoveries in research. It is about understanding the thought process of a real laboratory and a few months in a lab will do it for you. Depending on where you are located there are so many research options even for post-bac students. Just don't lead with "I want to go to medical school and this is a box I want to check off so let me join your lab." No pHD will ever let you do research in your lab when you say that. More like "your research sounds fascinating and I would really like to learn more" I have never been rejected by a professor, even before I built up my technical skills.

I think at a lot of medical schools you would easily be accepted, but if you want to go top tier, I would apply this year but be ready to do some research or clinical volunteer work (really both) in the case you get rejected.

Just my two cents.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85332/data/combined08.pdf

See what I mean about the difference between a 33 and a 35? I can't really see a school screening based on that difference.

I already know I need to retake. I am posting to see if anyone can tell me what to expect.

Total: 28
PS: 11 VR: 7 BS: 10

Practice tests, in the order I took them(PS/VR/BS):
  • 3 | 30 10/10/10
  • 4 | 32 12/12/8
  • 5 | 31 10/10/11
  • 7 | 31 11/8/12
  • 8 | 32 11/10/11
  • 9 | 34 12/10/12
  • 11 | 35 11/12/12
  • 10 |29 10/8/11
Everything was going so well until that final practice test. My verbal is all over the place and it is what nailed me this time around.

1) Your individual scores and composite score
June 13, 2014: 11/11/11 = 33

4) Which practice tests did you use?
AAMC SAs (I took them twice: first before my FLs without reviewing, then again at the end for additional practice / to gauge improvement):
Physics: 68% / 77%
Chemistry: 76% / 83%
Biology: 77% / 82%
Orgo: 64% / 79%

All AAMC FLs:
#3: 10/9/11 = 30 <-- the "getting used to the computer format" verbal exam
#4: 11/12/9 = 32
#5: 8/11/12 = 31
#7: 10/11/10 = 31
#8: 12/10/11 = 33
#9: 11/11/10 = 32
#10: 11/11/10 = 32
#11: 11/8/10 = 29 <-- the "panic attack omg the real MCAT is days away" verbal exam

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I just got my MCAT score yesterday. I got a 33 (11/11/11). I'm debating a retake because I averaged a 12 for the sciences so I feel like I could have done better in those areas. My average AAMC score was 34.something...it's just frustrating because I think I would have been so much happier with a 34 even though it's just one point higher? My dad wants me to retake because there's nothing for me to lose...but is that true? If I retake and my score falls, do medical schools put a lot of weight on that?

I took the MCAT really, really early (summer after sophomore year), so I definitely have time to retake. I am in Denmark studying abroad until mid December. I'm considering signing up for one of the later January exam dates and power studying that month I get back from Denmark.

Hey guys! I just got my MCAT score yesterday. I got a 33 (11/11/11). I'm debating a retake because I averaged a 12 for the sciences so I feel like I could have done better in those areas. My average AAMC score was 34.something...it's just frustrating because I think I would have been so much happier with a 34 even though it's just one point higher? My dad wants me to retake because there's nothing for me to lose...but is that true? If I retake and my score falls, do medical schools put a lot of weight on that?

I took the MCAT really, really early (summer after sophomore year), so I definitely have time to retake. I am in Denmark studying abroad until mid December. I'm considering signing up for one of the later January exam dates and power studying that month I get back from Denmark.

I think it won't be worth to retake it, because your score is reflective of your average.

MCAT - 29
Practice AVG - 32
Science GPA - 3.42
Non-Science GPA - 3.6
Ton of Research experience! Retake?

Do you have publications? Where do you live? Where do you want to go to school?

If you're in OR and want to go to OHSU they care at all about MCAT and I would say no. If you want to go to UCSF/Harvard then I would retake. If you have any section scores below an 8 I would retake. If you want to apply this cycle I wouldn't retake. If you want to go DO I wouldn't retake.

Last edited:

i vote no. the difference between a 33 and a 34 could be literally 1 question. not worth the risk and effort for such an insignificant improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have publications? Where do you live? Where do you want to go to school?

If you're in OR and want to go to OHSU they care at all about MCAT and I would say no. If you want to go to UCSF/Harvard then I would retake. If you have any section scores below an 8 I would retake. If you want to apply this cycle I wouldn't retake. If you want to go DO I wouldn't retake.

I have extensive research experience. I am getting published and writing a chapter for an ACS book. I spoke at the ACS conference. I also have literally NO PREFERENCE as to where I go. I will go to an Israel school if that is where I get into. Although, I would prefer MD over DO not for the prestige, but because I would like to keep the options open to me to move abroad. I tend to like to travel around.

I also live in NJ

I've taken the test x2, and my scores are: first time (Spring, 2013) 31(11V, 10PS, 10BS) and second time (June, 2014) 30(9V, 10PS, 11BS). I did score 1 point lower the second time I took the test, which is a bit discouraging. Now, I have heard a lot about how a 3rd retake is frowned upon by most MD schools and I am wondering if it is worth the risk for me to take the test again(I would have about 3.5 months worth of full-time studying in advance). (sGPA: 3.65, extensive clinical work and volunteer experience, no research experience outside of the classroom).

Thoughts?

I've taken the test x2, and my scores are: first time (Spring, 2013) 31(11V, 10PS, 10BS) and second time (June, 2014) 30(9V, 10PS, 11BS). I did score 1 point lower the second time I took the test, which is a bit discouraging. Now, I have heard a lot about how a 3rd retake is frowned upon by most MD schools and I am wondering if it is worth the risk for me to take the test again(I would have about 3.5 months worth of full-time studying in advance). (sGPA: 3.65, extensive clinical work and volunteer experience, no research experience outside of the classroom).

Thoughts?

You're first score was already good enough for some schools (maybe depending on your state of residency).

Anyways, now that you're retaken already, I don't think you should take it once more.

You'll be fine for DO most likely but it sounds like you want MD. The GPA is on the low side for MD. Is your cGPA better than sGPA?

Just got my score back: 29 (9 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)
cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.54
Did a full summer as a volunteer/shadow (every day, more or less full time) at a local hospital in different departments
Did 4 months in a research lab (no publications)
Have other volunteer experience (both clinically and non-clinical)
NY resident and will be applying in June for the next cycle

Really hoping to go to MD but not sure if the 29 will allow me the opportunity so I need to decide if I should retake or not?

AAMC average post studying: 37.

Actual MCAT: 35 (12/10/13) fire alarm sounded during my verbal section. Had to read a verbal passage with the sirens going off because the test could not be paused. Never got a below 13 on physical sciences. I got more 11's and 12's on verbal than 10's. Pleased with my bio score. Embarrassingly low GPA.

11-V 7-P 6-B
I am wondering if I have any chance at DO school next cycle? Obviously Md is out of the question. (Idk what happened with bio that's the lowest score I ever got :/).

11-V 7-P 6-B
I am wondering if I have any chance at DO school next cycle? Obviously Md is out of the question. (Idk what happened with bio that's the lowest score I ever got :/).

very unlikely with those sciences, sorry :(. Will likely have to retake it.

Just got my score back: 29 (9 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)
cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.54
Did a full summer as a volunteer/shadow (every day, more or less full time) at a local hospital in different departments
Did 4 months in a research lab (no publications)
Have other volunteer experience (both clinically and non-clinical)
NY resident and will be applying in June for the next cycle

Really hoping to go to MD but not sure if the 29 will allow me the opportunity so I need to decide if I should retake or not?

Hm this is tough because a 3.71/3.54 is fine for NY MD schools in terms of averages (it's close) but for the most part NY med school MCAT averages tend to be 30-31+. The SUNYs usually average a 32-33. This is up to you man... but yeah I would say it's kind of hard to say because those are fine scores for sections. The 9 PS is slightly low but your verbal and BS are fine.

On second thought, if you plan on applying next cycle... I think you should retake it. Your numbers with a 33 would be competitive enough for most of the schools in NY

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am reposting this from the Aug15 thread and would really like some advice. I want to go MD:

Test: 8.15.14
FL avg: 34 (lowest was a 8-10-11 on AAMC 3 highest was 36 on AAMC9)
Study: TBR, TPR Self study program
Expected: 30-32
Actual: 28 (9.9.10)
About me: post bac (architecture baccalaureate with 3.7 gpa) into biochem (4.0 for a year of studies all upper division)
Strong LORs, hours in international water poverty prevention and aid, international medical aid, worked as a supervisior in homeless shelter and hundreds of hours in both physio and biochemical research. ER hours are about 40 with similar shadowing numbers. Bringing those up this year.

Plan: study my ass off and take the 10/25/14. In pchem, a graduate physiology course, calc and another microbiology course. Aligns with mcat some what..

I feel like this exam was not my strongest debut, nor representative of my knowledge. I want to chalk it up to a bad day and come back hard.

Is it possible guys ? Or am I kidding myself with a month off and trying to prepare in approximately six weeks ?? And I apologize ahead of time for typos, I am coming from a smart phone.

Hey guys I am a long time lurker, but I would love to have some advice. My averages of the FL was 33, and when I got my score it was a 27... ( 9 Ps/ 9 VS/ 9 Bs)..Needless to say, I am still in shock as I my diagnostic before even content review was a 28 and I have never scored a 9 in PS and BS in all the practice exams I took. does anyone have any advice what to do now? To prepare, I did the SN2 schedule with TBR, and I did all the AAAMC FL, along with all ten Gold Standard exams. Any advice? I am thinking of getting the Princeton self paced online course...

Hey guys, I am reposting this from the Aug15 thread and would really like some advice. I want to go MD:

Test: 8.15.14
FL avg: 34 (lowest was a 8-10-11 on AAMC 3 highest was 36 on AAMC9)
Study: TBR, TPR Self study program
Expected: 30-32
Actual: 28 (9.9.10)
About me: post bac (architecture baccalaureate with 3.7 gpa) into biochem (4.0 for a year of studies all upper division)
Strong LORs, hours in international water poverty prevention and aid, international medical aid, worked as a supervisior in homeless shelter and hundreds of hours in both physio and biochemical research. ER hours are about 40 with similar shadowing numbers. Bringing those up this year.

Plan: study my ass off and take the 10/25/14. In pchem, a graduate physiology course, calc and another microbiology course. Aligns with mcat some what..

I feel like this exam was not my strongest debut, nor representative of my knowledge. I want to chalk it up to a bad day and come back hard.

Is it possible guys ? Or am I kidding myself with a month off and trying to prepare in approximately six weeks ?? And I apologize ahead of time for typos, I am coming from a smart phone.

Honestly, if your average was that high, a retake on 10/25 isn't unreasonable. I would say go for it.

Hey guys I am a long time lurker, but I would love to have some advice. My averages of the FL was 33, and when I got my score it was a 27... ( 9 Ps/ 9 VS/ 9 Bs)..Needless to say, I am still in shock as I my diagnostic before even content review was a 28 and I have never scored a 9 in PS and BS in all the practice exams I took. does anyone have any advice what to do now? To prepare, I did the SN2 schedule with TBR, and I did all the AAAMC FL, along with all ten Gold Standard exams. Any advice? I am thinking of getting the Princeton self paced online course...

I think those courses are a sham. Everything is still self study. Taking a course will not help make things easier to understand. I suggest taking a hard look at where you fell deficient in when you took the aamc fl and making a new study plan from there. You already have a great base score. It's only up from here.

Hey guys! I recently received my score of 30 (PS9/VR11/BS/10). My cumulative GPA is a 3.75 (sciences about the same) and I have pretty good extracurriculars, clinical volunteer work, research experience, and shadowing. I know this score is okay, but after taking the test I feel like I know how I can study to greatly improve. I took my MCAT during the summer between my sophomore and junior year, so I have plenty of time and would re-take the exam in January. I am shooting for schools with averages around 31-33 and I would love some advice as re-take or not! Thanks!

Hey guys! I recently received my score of 30 (PS9/VR11/BS/10). My cumulative GPA is a 3.75 (sciences about the same) and I have pretty good extracurriculars, clinical volunteer work, research experience, and shadowing. I know this score is okay, but after taking the test I feel like I know how I can study to greatly improve. I took my MCAT during the summer between my sophomore and junior year, so I have plenty of time and would re-take the exam in January. I am shooting for schools with averages around 31-33 and I would love some advice as re-take or not! Thanks!

If you think you can improve, go for it

What have you been averaging?

Not a Retake question , but a Reschedule question:

My MCAT exam is in one month, but I don't feel like that is enough time to unlock my full potential. I'm thinking of rescheduling it for January so I can have three extra months to study, including a winter break with no distractions. The dilemma is that they are changing the format after January, so if I do poorly, I can't retake it without having to prepare for a brand new, much harder exam. If I take it in a month as planned, I can still schedule a retake before they change the format. What do? All-or-nothing strategy or risk aversion strategy?

Total Score: 32
PS - 10 ; VR - 9 ; BS - 13
GPA: 3.86, should be 3.91 when I apply

I'm worried about the 9 in VR. My AAMC verbal average was 11.5, so this is abnormally low for me. However, my BS on the actual test is abnormally high. I never scored higher than a 11 on AAMC tests. PS was insane on my test so I'm honestly happy with a 10.

My problem is that I had a full-time internship this summer so I didn't devote enough time to studying. I didn't practice nearly enough; 95% practice I did was the AAMC exams. Even though a 32 is a good score, it's unbalanced and I feel like I sold myself short.

TX resident, would really like to go to UT Houston. Not interested in Ivy schools; just want to go to a Houston/Dallas school. Please advise!

AAMC FL average about 27-28.
PS average: 10
VR average 6 (range from 5-8)
BS average: 11
Actual score: 30 (12 6 12) GPA: 3.86
I know the verbal is low, should I still retake for the verbal? English is my second language, so I am afraid that I won't improve much between now until January. Also, I am doing better than my AAMC FL science sections, so I am scared that I am going to score lower in those section if I retake.
Worth the risk?

^ I would really focus on the verbal and see if you can improve it.

I just got my score back after a retake...i got
PS-10
VR-7
BS-9
T:25

My first test was
PS-11
VR-4
BS-10
T:26

Glad I went up on verbal, but upset about dropping a point in each of the sciences, I really really hoping both were 11+. Should I retake, I am not looking forward to the new test, I still can take one more this year and then one in january if necessary, any advice?

AAMC FL average about 27-28.
PS average: 10
VR average 6 (range from 5-8)
BS average: 11
Actual score: 30 (12 6 12) GPA: 3.86
I know the verbal is low, should I still retake for the verbal? English is my second language, so I am afraid that I won't improve much between now until January. Also, I am doing better than my AAMC FL science sections, so I am scared that I am going to score lower in those section if I retake.
Worth the risk?
You might get automatically screened out from schools due to the 6 in verbal. I would say retake and aim for an 8+ the second time around. The BS section is almost like verbal. If you managed a 12 in that (as well as in PS), it means your English is good enough. I wouldn't use that as an excuse.

You might get automatically screened out from schools due to the 6 in verbal. I would say retake and aim for an 8+ the second time around. The BS section is almost like verbal. If you managed a 12 in that (as well as in PS), it means your English is good enough. I wouldn't use that as an excuse.
The 12 on PS and BS are purely luck, I normally get 10 or 11 on those sections. I spent 3 months studying for MCAT, verbal only increased from 5 to 7 (got 8 once) literally 4 days before MCAT, I am not sure if I can improve to 8 or above in 3 months?

The 12 on PS and BS are purely luck, I normally get 10 or 11 on those sections. I spent 3 months studying for MCAT, verbal only increased from 5 to 7 (got 8 once) literally 4 days before MCAT, I am not sure if I can improve to 8 or above in 3 months?
I do not think the 12's were luck. Even if you guessed on some questions, I would assume you made educated guesses (which were obviously mostly correct). A 12 on any section is in the 95th percentile. You know your stuff.

And you can absolutely improve your verbal to an 8 in 3 months. 3 months is how long people normally take to study this entire exam. I was averaging 5-6 in verbal until I really sat down and practiced. You can do this. I recommend doing every passage and test of EK 101 as well as TPRHL Verbal Workbook. In addition to this, I hope you already completed every FL and Verbal SA and did a very detailed analysis of why you missed the verbal questions you missed. To jump from a 6 to an 8 can be like getting 4 or 5 more questions right. Just look at where you are making mistakes and go from there.

I do not think the 12's were luck. Even if you guessed on some questions, I would assume you made educated guesses (which were obviously mostly correct). A 12 on any section is in the 95th percentile. You know your stuff.

cefeu.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 27 overall
VR 9
PS 8
BS 10

I have a 3.7 overall, I'm from Michigan and I am hoping to get into a MD school. I took a kaplan course to prepare but now I am thinking to use EK or TBR on my own time. Do I need to retake it?

I got a 27 overall
VR 9
PS 8
BS 10

I have a 3.7 overall, I'm from Michigan and I am hoping to get into a MD school. I took a kaplan course to prepare but now I am thinking to use EK or TBR on my own time. Do I need to retake it?
Yes, I recommend re-taking it. You have a lot of potential for improvement in PS especially. Improving a little in all sections can get you a score higher than 30 which is required for most MD schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.