**Official SMDEP 2015 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP123321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

The applications for the SMDEP 2015 program are officially open! I checked for any other SMDEP 2015thread but couldn't find one...

Anyone have any tips for getting accepted into certain schools?

Where are you guys applying to this year? What are your top three choices?

If you have already participated in it share your story/stats!

Members don't see this ad.

I've certainly thought about applying! If I was gonna apply, my main choice would be UW. I'm just a freshman though, so I'm not sure I even technically have a definitive GPA yet. I'm not sure how that would work if I applied right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
I did SMDEP at Rugters last summer, great program! good luck!

I did SMDEP two summers ago at CWRU and it was absolutely amazing. GL with applying! :)

submit my application today
UCLA
Columbia
UoW

Can anyone who did SMDEP Medical Program at UCLA, Washington, or Columbia PM? :)

@UOP123321 I'm doing those locations as well! What are your stats?
i wrote two great essays i think so (10 drafts) SAT 2137 LOR from biology, and pre-dental counselor GPA 0 :( I am still an incoming freshman
Native american/asian. I mentioned 6 hours of research with my chem professor.
Feel free to ask me any question or text me.

Last edited:
Also i mentioned that i am part of the Six Year (3 + 3) Pre-Dental Advantage Programs at UOP

Members don't see this ad :)
How was it like. I'm applying to Rutgers.

Went very well, I enjoyed my experience and the TA's we had were awesome. Met some amazing people. You work with cadaver's and shadow dentist/MD'S. It was great!

hey guys can someone explain to me how can your GPA affect your admission to SMDEP ???
and does having 2.3 will give me a chance i know that the minium requirement is 2.5
plzzz someone replyyyyyyyyy

hey guys can someone explain to me how can your GPA affect your admission to SMDEP ???
and does having 2.3 will give me a chance i know that the minium requirement is 2.5
plzzz someone replyyyyyyyyy
you need to meet the minimum requirement

Went very well, I enjoyed my experience and the TA's we had were awesome. Met some amazing people. You work with cadaver's and shadow dentist/MD'S. It was great!
When did you submit your application, what was your gpa and how much was the stipend. Thanks.

When did you submit your application, what was your gpa and how much was the stipend. Thanks.

ohhh I don't remmeber, this was 2 summers ago. I think my GPA when I applied was around 3.2-3.3ish and the stipend was around 700ish. All I remember on the stipend that they don't give it to you until a couple of weeks in so make sure you have money before then for yourself.

and I submitted my application pretty early. Within that same month it opened up.

Finally done with my application! I feel like I'm one of the last individuals to submit it :x Also, does anyone recommend that I call if my transcripts are shown as still not received?

i applied to columbia ucla case they received my transcript, but my professors didn't submit yet the LOR
Case changed the status to Application in Review, but my application is not complete i still miss a letter of rec
is that normal ?

You should send it in or your app will freeze at the stage " in review". Goodluck !!

i applied to columbia ucla case they received my transcript, but my professors didn't submit yet the LOR
Case changed the status to Application in Review, but my application is not complete i still miss a letter of rec
is that normal ?

You should send in your LOR ASAP or your app will never be fully completed. There is a bit of leeway concerning transcripts and or LOR, hence why your app Is in review.

Hey everyone! I'm new to the SDN and I'm applying to the SMDEP for the dental program! I'm so late on this application and I'm pretty worried, but that's my fault anyways. Haha. I already submitted my application but have yet to send out my transcript and LORs until this coming Wednesday. What are my chances of making it the first cycle? I simply thought that I had to have everything postmarked/submitted by Feb 1st. I didn't realize they meant everything in their hands by Feb.1st...btw, I'm applying to Washington, Houston, and Louisville!

Oh, and question! How many spots are usually in the dental program?

Hey everyone! I'm new to the SDN and I'm applying to the SMDEP for the dental program! I'm so late on this application and I'm pretty worried, but that's my fault anyways. Haha. I already submitted my application but have yet to send out my transcript and LORs until this coming Wednesday. What are my chances of making it the first cycle? I simply thought that I had to have everything postmarked/submitted by Feb 1st. I didn't realize they meant everything in their hands by Feb.1st...btw, I'm applying to Washington, Houston, and Louisville!

You should make it through to the first cycle. I have yet to send in my LOR but definitely will before the week is over. good luck !

Good luck to you too! I feel my essays aren't very strong since they were written at the very last minute (which is never a good idea), I just hope they'll see some potential in me. Haha. Let the waiting game begins!

Application finally completed since yesterday, what now?

I'm so scared that I'll be rejected LOL. My stats aren't that high.

omg same here! My application was finally completed today though. Whew! I sent everything in on Tuesday. Lol.

How long does it take for the location status to change to In Review? Also, anyone applying to Columbia, UWash, or UCLA--what are your stats? (Med Program)

I have no idea. I'm actually applying to the dental program. I'm considered not an URM (I'm Vietnamese) under SMDEP however I'm located in a rural area and I'm economically disadvantaged. Hope they'll look into that! I'm a freshman but with sophomore credits. 4.0 GPA and in a few premed/predental organizations.

Attended SMDEP last summer for UNMC for the dental program, great experience met a lot of wonderful people, very informative and you get to go to the dental school on Fridays! Def. worth applying IMO.

OMGGGGG
accepted to Case, columbia
denied from UCLA!!!

Thanks LORD for being accepted even my GPA was below 2.5!!!!
COLUMBIA 2015!!!

My Stats for people applying next year
GPA:below 2.5
Freshman at University of pacific the six year dental program!!
asian/american indian, female, financially disadvantaged, from an underrepresented and rural area in CA

i got accpeted to columbia , case
denied from UCLA because of my GPA
going to Columbia and will denied my acceptance from Case Good luck to the people who are on the waiting list for case

Accepted: Columbia
Denied: Rutgers, UofW
Gpa-3.5
Science gpa-4.0

African American, male underprivileged.

Goes to show gpa really isn't everything there are a plethora of things that go into their decision making.

Accepted: Columbia
Denied: Rutgers, UofW
Gpa-3.5
Science gpa-4.0

African American, male underprivileged.

Goes to show gpa really isn't everything there are a plethora of things that go into their decision making.
still consider minimum requirement
my application was not under review for UCA and i called the office in january before applying and told them that my GPA under 2.5 and the lady told if their too many applicants we will not review your application, as my GPA below 2.5.

Got actually shocked to rejected from my state school and to be accepted to Columbia and case!! :((

still consider minimum requirement
my application was not under review for UCA and i called the office in january before applying and told them that my GPA under 2.5 and the lady told if their too many applicants we will not review your application, as my GPA below 2.5.

Got actually shocked to rejected from my state school and to be accepted to Columbia and case!! :((
Keep your head up ! A crapload of students apply to this program and an Ivy League site ACCEPTED you !! You deserve it ! I hope to see you there !!!!!

Didn't have a valentine date today, but COLUMBIA make my day <3

Rejected from Howard,
But accepted to Rutgers & UVA!!!

3.57 gpa
3.1 science gpa
African American female

I chose UVA!

Last edited:
Accepted into UofL
4.0 gpa
4.0 sGPA
Looks like I'm going to my instate school program!

I am planning on submitting before March 1st, because my teacher recommendations haven't been completed... Is that Bad?

I am planning on submitting before March 1st, because my teacher recommendations haven't been completed... Is that Bad?
depends on the sites you are planning to apply to!!
choose some schools that aren't popular or busy