Official TCOM Interviews 2007 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyimnick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Wahoo, I get to create a relevant thread!

In any case, my interview with TCOM is next Tuesday (7/25). Any previous TCOM interviewees or current students, advice is welcome. I'm a low undergrad GPA/better post bacc GPA applicant, so I'm trying to figure out how to best address that issue if brought up, and spin it as a positive.

Look forward to everyone's responses as the interviews keep coming.

Members don't see this ad.

heyimnick said:

In any case, my interview with TCOM is next Tuesday (7/25). Any previous TCOM interviewees or current students, advice is welcome. I'm a low undergrad GPA/better post bacc GPA applicant, so I'm trying to figure out how to best address that issue if brought up, and spin it as a positive.

I would look beyond the numbers at this stage of the game. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

:luck:

heyimnick said:

are you applying early decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviews here are pretty lay back and informative. You will like our campus. By the way, I think the week of your interview all the new first years are here on campus going thru orientation.

Where did you do your post-bac and what was it in? How were your grades there? They look at that alot. Well, I've got one more week and then back to class as an MSII for me.
Tcom200901

Do you go from building to building if you have back to back interviews? Anyone know? It'll be brutal with a suit on and hiking a mile to another building with a suit on.

Y_Marker said:
Do you go from building to building if you have back to back interviews? Anyone know? It'll be brutal with a suit on and hiking a mile to another building with a suit on.
I've never been to TCOM exactly but I did grow up in FW and I didn't think the campus was all that big.

BTW, great stores down by the Modern (including a great sub place) and the modern is pretty cool in my opinion.

:D My interview is 7/27. TCOM is noted for being the best primary care Medical school in Texas. They have affiliations with several hospitals. The school isn't as big as say, Southwestern-Parkland-Children's, but expect some walking for sure.

I am super excited about this school as it is easily one of the best Osteopathy institutions. :love:

Edit: NOT EDP

I'll be at TCOM on the 27th too :) First interview at 8am -- bright and early!

Y_Marker said:

The buildings are all close--and all except the new research bldg (which you won't likely go to) are connected underground or via breezeways--no worries there. The worst part is the hike up from the parking garage--it's up a big hill. I was seriously regretting the heels at that point on my interview day.

Best of luck to all of you (from a happy TCOM 4th year). Knock 'em dead. :)

I'll see y'all on the 27th as well. Has anyone reserved a room yet? I'm driving up from Houston wednesday afternoon and haven't picked a place yet.

Mine is tomorrow, and I'm nervous as hell. My main fear is rambling, or not being able to answer any sort of unique questions they may ask.

My interview is on 7/28. I'm kinda nervous. Can anyone comment on what the campus tour/lunch/orientation are like? I know it's mostly students that conduct the tour but is there much interaction with the faculty/adcomm during these times?

Any general tips for us interviewers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, if anyone has an early interview this week let us know how it went.
1. Who was your interviewer (s)?
2. Questions asked?
3. How did you like the campus?
4. Where is TCOM on your list of schools?
5. Misc.: food, medical students, hospital, etc..

BEST OF LUCK!! yay! I hope to see you in 2007!! :luck:

Did any of you who have gotten interview invites from TCOM get a letter from a Non-DO for the additional letter of evaluation? I am trying to finish up the secondary app, and I know I am losing valuable time!

I am also interviewing at TCOM, but rescheduling for mid-October.

JMPeffer said:
Did any of you who have gotten interview invites from TCOM get a letter from a Non-DO for the additional letter of evaluation? I am trying to finish up the secondary app, and I know I am losing valuable time!

I didn't even have a rec letter from a D.O. when I turned in my secondary.

Yikes, they just moved my first interview from 2:00pm to 9:00am. I am not a morning person. :(

Oh well. Still happy that I got one. Anyone else going to be interiviwing this friday the 28th?

stephenshu said:
I didn't even have a rec letter from a D.O. when I turned in my secondary.

Everyone with interviews coming up... don't forget to post interview feedback on the student doctor boards.

If you go to the main studentdoctor.net page and scroll down the place to post is right under the smiley faces.

Thanks!

yeah i have an 8am interview tomorrow, im bored as can be at the hotel and im not tired at all... why do they give the night people the early morning interviews?? i have to be there before the offices even open... yikes!

Good luck with your interview tomorrow!

snowkhat said:
Yes, if anyone has an early interview this week let us know how it went.
1. Who was your interviewer (s)?
2. Questions asked?
3. How did you like the campus?
4. Where is TCOM on your list of schools?
5. Misc.: food, medical students, hospital, etc..

BEST OF LUCK!! yay! I hope to see you in 2007!! :luck:

1. I interviewed with Dr. Robles (Ob.Gyn) and Dr. Downey (Ph.D in Physiology)
2. I got asked general questions, almost verbatim from their secondary application. What do you know about osteopathy? Why medicine? Why not research? A few ethical questions about physicain assisted suicide and non-compliant patients.
3. I really like the campus as it reminded me of my current and previous undergrad institutions. Homey and comfortable.
4. Numero uno
5. Food at lunch was awesome. We lunched at The Gardens restaurant in the Botanic Gardens. Medical students were helpful and friendly. Don't hesitate to ask questions! We didn't get to visit the primary medical facility unfortunately (JSP).

I also got heavily recruited for the Ph.D/DO program. :love:
:luck: :love:
:p
I hope this was helpful and wish me luck!

Just drove home from my TCOM interview -- it went really well! My 1st interviewer (Dr. Budd, Director of Clinicals) grilled me with questions about my research, leadership, problems in health care, why this school, lots of MD vs. DO, etc. -- he had really gone over my application and knew everything about me before I walked in the door. It wasn't terrible but a lot of having to field 3 and 4 part questions at a time. Second interviewer was a pediatrician (Dr. M. Levine, DO) and we just chatted. She was extremely laid back and acted more like a recruiter. Neither of them asked me any ethical questions, but I heard most everyone else had a few.

Conrgats on doing well on the interview and getting one so early!!

Wow, must be a great feeling :thumbup:

Good luck and when do you find out if you were accepted?

Exigente

I had my interviews yesterday also.

Dr. Brent Sanderlin - Family Medicine
Very relaxed interview, we actually had a lot in common as to our situation when applying. None of the typical questions, just chatting about family, school and some other stuff on my app. - The only question from a list was "Why DO?"

Dr. Michael Oglesby - Pharmacology and Neuroscience
Also a very relaxed interview. I think it helped having kids as we had some common ground to discuss. The only text-book questions I got were "Why DO?" and "Future issues for Doctors". Mostly we talked about kids, the school, being a non-trad etc.

Both interviews were very laid back and enjoyable. The tour was OK, I didn't have too much time. The Anatomy lab was Awesome! I can't remember the guys name, but the Louisianan (sp?) instructor was funny as hell and seemed really sharp. Overall I was very impressed with the school. There are a bunch of married students and 10% of this years class had kids. There are also decent school districts near by in an affordable neighborhood, which is a huge plus for me.

Chris

lilTXcatMD - I know who you are now too!

Dr. Routh was the Anatomy guy - Very laid back, interesting, tells jokes....

Christexasam -- thought the info bout my interview would give it away. Interviewing anywhere else in Texas any time soon?

lilTXcatMD said:
Dr. Routh was the Anatomy guy - Very laid back, interesting, tells jokes....

Christexasam -- thought the info bout my interview would give it away. Interviewing anywhere else in Texas any time soon?

Hey guys..congrads on your interviews! I will be interviewing at TCOM on Tues 8/1 also. I think a friend of mine interviewed the same day as you guys (yesterday). He left the interview most impressed with the school, the faculty and the students. I can't wait to visit the campus for myself next week. Any tips on where to stay the night before to be close to campus for the interview?

I don't have any other interviews yet, but I think my low undergrad GPA is keeping me off of the auto-invite lists. Hopefully they will start rolling in. On the other hand, I would be more than happy to save a bunch of money and only interview and be accepted at TCOM.

I stayed at a marriot something on 30 and University, only a 5 minute drive from TCOM. I paid $120.00 for a night, but it was a decent hotel.

snowkhat said:
So do you think we will actually have to wait until November or February to know if we get in (both dates for Texas residents)?

Waiting is miserable! :eek:

Unfortunately, I think they will actually have us wait till November or February for a decision. They will have to go through a few rounds of interviews of April MCATer's as well as August MCATer's before giving out acceptances. Yes...I agree with you! Waiting is miserable and expensive! I have applied to whole bunch of out of state DO schools in addition to Texas schools. I have a feeling I will have to spend nearly a thousand dollars in travel expenses for interviews out of state before hearing back from TCOM.

Christexam: Thanks for your reply. I ended up finding a really sweet deal with Days Inn (only 5 minute drive away & straight shot to TCOM) for only $51. The place even had a whole variety of restaurants on the same block for me to choose from. I feel your frustrations about being off auto-invite lists...I have a 4.0 GPA but a crappy MCAT score.

Does anyone have any input on the Rural Track interviews? I am applying to rural track, and since those interviews are only on special days, I'm wondering if they are going to be much different than what others have posted.

Bluemirage said:
I feel your frustrations about being off auto-invite lists...I have a 4.0 GPA but a crappy MCAT score.

whats an auto-invite list?

jillibean said:
Does anyone have any input on the Rural Track interviews? I am applying to rural track, and since those interviews are only on special days, I'm wondering if they are going to be much different than what others have posted.

Do you have any idea when the special interview days are? I also applied to this program but have not heard from them yet :(

christvida said:
Do you have any idea when the special interview days are? I also applied to this program but have not heard from them yet :(

I wouldn't worry yet. I think there is only 1-2/month and I think the first one is 8/22.

jillibean said:
I wouldn't worry yet. I think there is only 1-2/month and I think the first one is 8/22.

ok thanks, thats good to know

Hey everyone! Just received an invite for 8/11! Anyone else going to be there?

dancer75088 said:
Hey everyone! Just received an invite for 8/11! Anyone else going to be there?

congrats! they didn't give you much notice...only 3 days!

christvida said:

Actually I just found out that for rural track we are going to be sent to shadow one of the rural docs as part of our interview... sounds fun!

jillibean said:
Actually I just found out that for rural track we are going to be sent to shadow one of the rural docs as part of our interview... sounds fun!

I'll be interested to hear how that goes. Sounds like they want you to be fully aware of the clinical setting for rural medicine

Hey, did you apply early decision or regular? I have been so busy studying for the MCATs (this Saturday) that I have not submitted my app. I am so freaked out bc it seems as though my chances of getting in are lower now! Aghh back to studying... :scared:

heyimnick said:

timetoshine said:
Hey, did you apply early decision or regular? I have been so busy studying for the MCATs (this Saturday) that I have not submitted my app. I am so freaked out bc it seems as though my chances of getting in are lower now! Aghh back to studying... :scared:

Where are you doing your post-bac and in what area? They do look at progression and improvement, espeically if you are in a rigourous post-bac program. I know that here on campus, they want the post-bacs to have a 3.5 for consideration into the med school.

Good luck.

TCOM200901

Woohoo!

Just got off the phone with TCOM. My interview is set for bright and early on 9/5. I'm very excited, TCOM is my first choice as far as Texas schools go.

*cross fingers*