Official Thread: Ohio State Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start this off ;) ;)

Anyone else know if they're going to this school for sure? I can't wait to head to the bookstore and stock up on OSU merchandise. BTW, I'm on the lookout for some clothing item that says "OSU Medicine" - let me know if you find one.

Anyone know which path they're going to take? I think I'm going with ISP.

Well - welcome on board my soon-to-be future classmates/interns/residents/attendings :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not for sure, but I am extremely excited about the acceptance. I loved the school and the students and faculty were so friendly. There is no way I could do independent study personally, but having the choice is priceless. Well, actually that's my big hangup. The 48,000 dollar price tag is steep (even with the drop the next year) and the thought of being that in debt isn't a happy thought :scared: . I've never seen that kind of money, let alone owed it. Oh well, the school is awesome, so any convincing everyone can do to get me there would be great! :)

TripleDegree said:
Just thought I'd start this off ;) ;)

Anyone else know if they're going to this school for sure? I can't wait to head to the bookstore and stock up on OSU merchandise. BTW, I'm on the lookout for some clothing item that says "OSU Medicine" - let me know if you find one.

Anyone know which path they're going to take? I think I'm going with ISP.

Well - welcome on board my soon-to-be future classmates/interns/residents/attendings :)

I'm actually wearing my OSU Medicine sweatshirt right now. It is gray with "Ohio State Medicine" in red letters. I'll try to find a picture of it.

I'm another one who is not 100% set on going to OSU, but I really love the school and could see myself being happy there!

Members don't see this ad :)
No sweatshirt, but I have this really cool Ohio State Med bag and also a water bottle, which I would be willing to sell, either individually or as a set.

( :D )

I'm also very pleased to have an acceptance; aside from Columbus being a great town, it's the ISP that's got me excited. It would be hard to stay on focus, I suspect, but for my family situation (2 kids, maybe 3 by next year) it might be the best option. But I'm still holding out for A) financial aid decisions and B) a couple more schools that are awfully tempting, UWisconsin among them.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in to OSU!

liverotcod said:
No sweatshirt, but I have this really cool Ohio State Med bag and also a water bottle, which I would be willing to sell, either individually or as a set.

Ah, yes, I can't forget those items! I use that water bottle every day. :laugh: :thumbup:

UCLAstudent said:
I'm actually wearing my OSU Medicine sweatshirt right now. It is gray with "Ohio State Medicine" in red letters. I'll try to find a picture of it.

I'm another one who is not 100% set on going to OSU, but I really love the school and could see myself being happy there!

Wow - you got a sweatshirt with those words on it - where did you find it?? I'll be willing to pay top dollar for that right now :)

Thanks for contributing!

liverotcod said:

( :D )

I'm also very pleased to have an acceptance; aside from Columbus being a great town, it's the ISP that's got me excited. It would be hard to stay on focus, I suspect, but for my family situation (2 kids, maybe 3 by next year) it might be the best option. But I'm still holding out for A) financial aid decisions and B) a couple more schools that are awfully tempting, UWisconsin among them.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in to OSU!

Yeah I have kids too - so the ISP is just unbelievably appealing to me. Its hard to believe that its the only such program in the country.

Over the next few months, hope everyone makes up their minds and decides to come root for the Buckeyes! :)

HAPPY T'GIVING!

TripleDegree said:
Wow - you got a sweatshirt with those words on it - where did you find it?? I'll be willing to pay top dollar for that right now :)

Thanks for contributing!

I got it at a store right by the campus, but not ON the campus. It was kind of by where the Longs is. There are a whole bunch of stores with OSU gear on that street. I'm sorry this is so vague ... it was awhile ago! The sweatshirt was 30 bucks, I believe.

TripleDegree said:

Thanks for contributing!

A couple of places to find it... Collegetown on High street (next to urban outfitters) or in the life sciences bookstore in the basement of the dental building... $30 both places, i'm pretty sure..

Im almost absolutely going to OSU next year. It was one of three schools that I applied to, and the only one that wasnt an insane reach for me. So I suppose the only way I won't go is if I decide to (and can convince OSU to allow) defer a year. After the interview, and meeting just a few of the physicians, i'm really excited. It seemed like both the professors and students are very laid back. I currently go to OSU, and I had no idea that I would be so impressed with the medical school.

You should be able to get OSU and OSU medicine stuff pretty much anywhere here around campus. I like buckeye books, but college town, sbx, longs (i hate longs now...they screwed me over once), The University Main Bookstore, The University Health Sciences bookstore, and maybe even UBX should have it. Most of these are on High Street.

The only thing I have so far is a car sticker that one of my grandparents got me after I was accepted.

For those of you not already here: I think Columbus is great. Its a rapidly growing city, and thus has some very nice features. OSU seems to be constantly improving, including spending huge $$$ on medicine and medical research. They just built a new heart hospital and three new huge parking garages. They are building a new biomedical research tower and doing some sort of remodeling of the hospital. (Other less relevant construction around campus includes a new Mech. Engineering building, new architecture building, a physics research building, renovation of the Oval...which is a huge grass area for students...the heart of the campus...the library renovation starts soon....oh yeah...and two pretty cool sounding new rec facilities...)

The (relatively) new president is huge on construction and research. Sometimes it seems like we go to school in a construction zone...

Well, that was longer than I expected....i'll see some of next year!

Cameron

logos said:
Im almost absolutely going to OSU next year. It was one of three schools that I applied to, and the only one that wasnt an insane reach for me. So I suppose the only way I won't go is if I decide to (and can convince OSU to allow) defer a year. After the interview, and meeting just a few of the physicians, i'm really excited. It seemed like both the professors and students are very laid back. I currently go to OSU, and I had no idea that I would be so impressed with the medical school.

You should be able to get OSU and OSU medicine stuff pretty much anywhere here around campus. I like buckeye books, but college town, sbx, longs (i hate longs now...they screwed me over once), The University Main Bookstore, The University Health Sciences bookstore, and maybe even UBX should have it. Most of these are on High Street.

The only thing I have so far is a car sticker that one of my grandparents got me after I was accepted.

For those of you not already here: I think Columbus is great. Its a rapidly growing city, and thus has some very nice features. OSU seems to be constantly improving, including spending huge $$$ on medicine and medical research. They just built a new heart hospital and three new huge parking garages. They are building a new biomedical research tower and doing some sort of remodeling of the hospital. (Other less relevant construction around campus includes a new Mech. Engineering building, new architecture building, a physics research building, renovation of the Oval...which is a huge grass area for students...the heart of the campus...the library renovation starts soon....oh yeah...and two pretty cool sounding new rec facilities...)

The (relatively) new president is huge on construction and research. Sometimes it seems like we go to school in a construction zone...

Well, that was longer than I expected....i'll see some of next year!

Cameron

Thanks for the info. Yeah I agree with all of your points. OSU's in a much better part of Columbus, than say UC is in Cincinnati. Also, everything seemed very modern and new.

The new Dean is trying to get OSU to make the Top 10 public medical schools list. Lets hope it works out!

Just thought i'd bump this.

I'll also point out that there is a new (as far as i can tell) video on the OSU med website. Actually there are a ton of other videos available too.

www.medicine.osu.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending OSU as well. :)

I'm still leaning toward OSU! I think I would pick it over MCW or Jefferson. :) But, a lot remains to be determined.

UCLAstudent said:
I'm still leaning toward OSU! I think I would pick it over MCW or Jefferson. :) But, a lot remains to be determined.
cool--we may be classmates, someday! :D but worry not, for a UC acceptance is comin' your way...

Is anyone else going to the second look day on April 2? I am excited to learn more about the hospitals and rotations.

superdevil said:
cool--we may be classmates, someday! :D but worry not, for a UC acceptance is comin' your way...

I guess we won't be classmates anymore, eh? :( ;)

UCLAstudent said:
I guess we won't be classmates anymore, eh? :( ;)
Yeah, you got your wish, and super D is probably going to Yale or WashU. Congrats! :thumbup:

redrocks said:
Is anyone else going to the second look day on April 2? I am excited to learn more about the hospitals and rotations.

I will be at second look day...it might be the turning point in my choosing a medical school...

I was accepted back in November, my very first interview and acceptance. I'm not sure if I'll be coming (still have 2 more interviews to go - U of Minn & Jefferson). I'm going with my fiancee who will be phd mechanical engineering so we need the money to come in for him to go for free and he isn't guaranteed funding at OSU yet. But we both really liked it, so it is a really good possibility that I'll be there. They were the only ones with a cool gift (bag and water bottle) so that really sold them to me. Just kidding - I loved the clinical skills lab.

i'd love to go, but osu's 2nd look day conflicts with case's 2nd look, and case's wins out because theirs is more posh. ;)

but i'm still revisiting ohio state. guess i'll just have to do it on my own time, though.

maybe i'll see you guys there in august... :cool:

Did any of you that emailed to RSVP for the second look day get a confirmation email back?

I decided to go afterall, and on the last day to RSVP, sent the email, but havent heard a word from them.

logos said:
Did any of you that emailed to RSVP for the second look day get a confirmation email back?

I decided to go afterall, and on the last day to RSVP, sent the email, but havent heard a word from them.

I just emailed them today to double check my RSVP, got a quick response too...

That's the way to go.

anyone get any correspondence from OSU regarding financial aid, merit scholarships, FAFSA or anything like that? I haven't heard a word, and was just wondering if I'd missed an email or something.

thanks

Nope, havent heard a word from them except the two emails for the second look day. One to announce it, and one as a "last call" sort of thing. I guess thats part of the reason I want to go to the second look, even though I know i'm going to attend.

I suspect they are saving themselves some work by waiting until they have a better idea of who is actually coming. You can hold multiple acceptances for awhile still i think.

DrThom said:
I just emailed them today to double check my RSVP, got a quick response too...

That's the way to go.

Yeah, I guess thats what I should do. I'll shoot them a quick email tonight.

Ok...they got back to me this morning, they recieved it. Its kinda strange that they dont send somesort of confirmation, seems like most people do that when you're working through email.

logos said:
Ok...they got back to me this morning, they recieved it. Its kinda strange that they dont send somesort of confirmation, seems like most people do that when you're working through email.

Hey all, I'm an OH resident, I'll be at the 2nd look day as well. I'm passing on the Case 2nd look day even though I live here in Cleveland :rolleyes: In fact, that's probably why I'm passing on it. After 23 years of living here, I need to be someplace else. Case was alright when I interviewed there, but I was very not excited by the mandatory 4th year research thesis... OSU is tied for my second choice right now with a private school, so the money could be the dealbreaker. I'm gonna wait to see if I get off the waitlist at my top choice though :)

Question: Is anyone bringing a guest with them to the 2nd look day (A parent, close friend, etc)? I heard somewhere that was kosher as long as you let them know ahead of time.

eriol said:
Question: Is anyone bringing a guest with them to the 2nd look day (A parent, close friend, etc)? I heard somewhere that was kosher as long as you let them know ahead of time.
It's nice to hear that a few other people are going to 2nd look. I am taking my wife, and it is fine with them. Just make sure to tell them beforehand. It will be great meeting some of the possible future classmates!:thumbup:

TripleDegree said:
anyone get any correspondence from OSU regarding financial aid, merit scholarships, FAFSA or anything like that? I haven't heard a word, and was just wondering if I'd missed an email or something

Ohio State told my group during the interview that the FAFSA filing deadline for them was March 1st. They strongly encouraged us to get it filed by then, even if we had to estimate it and even though we didn't know if we would get accepted or not. If you didn't have the FAFSA filed by Mar 1, you have pretty much no shot at getting any need based aid. I don't know about merit scholarships. You may want to call them and ask to speak to the med school's financial aid office.

Unfortunately for me, I got deferred. I sent in the letter indicating I wished to remain in the alternate pool, although I got the impression from the "deferred" page that they could still reject me in the future. I guess I will end up living away from my husband in Toledo or Cinci for the next for years. :(

AmyBEMT said:
Ohio State told my group during the interview that the FAFSA filing deadline for them was March 1st. They strongly encouraged us to get it filed by then, even if we had to estimate it and even though we didn't know if we would get accepted or not. If you didn't have the FAFSA filed by Mar 1, you have pretty much no shot at getting any need based aid. I don't know about merit scholarships. You may want to call them and ask to speak to the med school's financial aid office.

Unfortunately for me, I got deferred. I sent in the letter indicating I wished to remain in the alternate pool, although I got the impression from the "deferred" page that they could still reject me in the future. I guess I will end up living away from my husband in Toledo or Cinci for the next for years. :(

that sux - coz I didn't know about this deadline. Did anyone else know about this? I don't recall them giving me a FAFSA form at the interview.

Is there an online place you can go and fill in the form?

Amy, I'm rooting for you, hopefully we will be classmates! You sound like a nice study partner.

The FAFSA is online only now I think.

I havent filled it out yet. As I understand it, the March deadline is for consideration for need based aid, for which there is little chance i would qualify anyway. I am going to try and get it filled out reasonably soon though.

TripleDegree said:
that sux - coz I didn't know about this deadline. Did anyone else know about this? I don't recall them giving me a FAFSA form at the interview.

They didn't give us paper and pencil FAFSAs, but I always do mine online anyways. The online is much easier and much faster. I did an estimated one, since I haven't done my taxes yet and will update it when I get them done. My SAR was ready in about two days. Schools generally download the online FAFSAs once or twice a week.

During the financial aid portion of the day, they referred to pages 6 and 7 of the "A Closer Look at the Ohio State Experience" booklet. It says "Submit your applications by the OSU priority processing deadline date of March 1 . I think that they did say it was primarily for need based aid (the deadline), but you might want to do the FAFSA asap and/or give the financial aid office a call at 614-292-8771 or email at [email protected]. I know I wasn't paying all that much attention to the FA part, as I was thinking about the interview and etc, but the March 1 got everyone's attention since it was five days away at the time of the interview.

www.fafsa.ed.gov/ You will have to request a pin first - it will take about 3 days to get your pin, and then you can go online and fill out your form.

Amy, I'm rooting for you, hopefully we will be classmates! You sound like a nice study partner.
Thanks - I really would like to go to Ohio State, but at least I have four other acceptances. I know I will be going somewhere!

I didn't get my FAFSA in by March 1 when I applied to OSU, but I did during my second year. It made a $2000 difference for me and I've gotten it in on time every since. Thankfully, I've submitted my last FAFSA (hopefully ever) a couple of weeks ago.

TripleDegree said:

So, you didn't fill fafsa at all? I think it is a good idea to get in touch with the financial aid people at the college asap.

logos said:
The FAFSA is online only now I think.

I havent filled it out yet. As I understand it, the March deadline is for consideration for need based aid, for which there is little chance i would qualify anyway. I am going to try and get it filled out reasonably soon though.

as i understand, fafsa is firstcome first served type. It is always a good idea to send it asap.

Couple of questions for my possible future classmates...

Have any of you received your financial aid award packet from OSU yet? I submitted my FAFSA in Feb and haven't seen anything from OSU yet, but I've received the materials from all of my other schools.

Any recommendations for places to live in Columbus? Any neighborhoods or apartment complexes that are nice? Do you plan to live on or off campus? My fiance will be working downtown and we were trying to figure out the best place to live...any suggestions??

Thanks

i still hven't turned in my fafsa yet. i am not expecting any subsidized stafford loans, neither school funding. all i need is the unsubsidized stafford funding. for this, i guess as long as i get the fafsa in by april 15th, i'll be ok.

hope my reasoning isn't wrong.....?

They told us at second look that they should have those out in a couple weeks.

As far as housing go, look for the thread for the entering class of 2007. They had a bunch of discusiion about housing (although many of them ended up at the Meridien, which is a more upscale complex that is pretty close to campus.)

reddyroo said:
Any recommendations for places to live in Columbus? Any neighborhoods or apartment complexes that are nice? Do you plan to live on or off campus? My fiance will be working downtown and we were trying to figure out the best place to live...any suggestions??

Thanks

I don't know what is contained in the 2007 thread Dr. Thom mentions, but I will try to give your a broad overview of the housing landscape. Further, I will assume you and your fiance are looking for a nice, quiet place to live. If that's true, you will want to avoid the areas immediately north, south, and east of the campus. These areas are filled with undergrads and controlled by less than stellar landlords.
Further south of campus and between downtown is Victorian Village. Some of the huge older houses there are probably out of reach as a student, but I often see ads for renting there with quite reasonable prices. Also close to campus is Grandview, a very nice neigborhood. From these neighborhoods, you could possibly walk or ride a bike to school.
The "suburbs" are also a good option. Across the river to the west is Upper Arlington, and a bit further away are Hillard and Dublin. These areas would involve a commute for both you and your fiance. I am not sure about types of housing or prices in depth, but to give you an idea a friend just bought a brand new condo in Dublin in his first year out of college as an engineer. Also, if kids are in the near future the UA, Hillard, and Dublin school systems are all supposed to be very good.
Well. that's just one person's opinion...hopefully someone else and/or the 2007 thread can help too.

sandg said:
I don't know what is contained in the 2007 thread Dr. Thom mentions, but I will try to give your a broad overview of the housing landscape. Further, I will assume you and your fiance are looking for a nice, quiet place to live. If that's true, you will want to avoid the areas immediately north, south, and east of the campus. These areas are filled with undergrads and controlled by less than stellar landlords.
Further south of campus and between downtown is Victorian Village. Some of the huge older houses there are probably out of reach as a student, but I often see ads for renting there with quite reasonable prices. Also close to campus is Grandview, a very nice neigborhood. From these neighborhoods, you could possibly walk or ride a bike to school.
The "suburbs" are also a good option. Across the river to the west is Upper Arlington, and a bit further away are Hillard and Dublin. These areas would involve a commute for both you and your fiance. I am not sure about types of housing or prices in depth, but to give you an idea a friend just bought a brand new condo in Dublin in his first year out of college as an engineer. Also, if kids are in the near future the UA, Hillard, and Dublin school systems are all supposed to be very good.
Well. that's just one person's opinion...hopefully someone else and/or the 2007 thread can help too.

That sounds like pretty good advice to me. If anyone here does decide to live around campus, the thing to remember is this: The city gets worse as you move away from campus to the east. The first few blocks to the east are fine (all students), but after that it gets really bad. The same used to be true to the south until you hit victorian villiage, but is less and less so.

Another possibility are condo and apartment complexes on Ackerman, Bethel, and Henderson. These are the three exits on 315N of lane. Nice area, but also only ~15min drive.

I currently live at University Villiage. Its a rather large appartment complex consisting of many individual buildings with ~6 apartments each. Its a little ways from campus (~1mi from lane, the N end of campus), but the aparment complex has 3 or 4 brand new busses that go back and forth to campus all day. I cant complain about it, its quiet, mostly grad students, the place is very old, but well maintained, and very cheap.

The Meridian on King is really nice (at least from the tour), but I found the rent to be rediculously high. Its in a kinda strange location in so far as one could walk, but it would be a hell of long walk in the winter.

If you don't live within in walking distance of OSU, your best bets are to look to the North and West. The reason for this is that if you live within a few miles of an exit to the Ohio-315 expressway, it is very easy to get to OSU, which has multiple exits off 315. Also if you are commuting to class, it doesn't make much difference if you live 5 miles away or 12 miles away, because walking from your car to class or taking bus from the commuter lot will add 5 or 10 minutes to your commute each way.

Bethel road has a lot of apartments. Also many people live in townhouses on Henderson road. Many people also live in suburbs like Dublin and Hilliard.

Wow everyone...this is great advice. Thank you. My fiance is going to fly to Columbus this month for a job interview and look at places to live. This gives us some great ideas of where to start!

TripleDegree said:
i still hven't turned in my fafsa yet. i am not expecting any subsidized stafford loans, neither school funding. all i need is the unsubsidized stafford funding. for this, i guess as long as i get the fafsa in by april 15th, i'll be ok.

hope my reasoning isn't wrong.....?

*bump - thoughts please.

TripleDegree said:
*bump - thoughts please.
Turn it in. Now. Individual schools vary on their deadline to receive the FAFSA, and some are as early as March 1.