Official U Maryland Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, that is a long wait... but at least we can hold on to a tiny shred of hope ;) Its not over yet!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody got a hold of a list of required books for 1st years? I just want to know how many of my undergrad bio books I should actually hold on to.

We likely get a booklist in the packet UMD sends us in mid-July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Sooooo, I'm probably the ONLY student who is just now joining SDN, but I never really got around to doing it.

I just wanted to say hi, and if anyone is going to be free this summer let's do something.

Hi everyone,
I just got back from a two week trip in Europe! I'd never been and felt that I had to do it before I started med school even though I'm totally broke! but, what's another 1000 bucks when you're talking 150,000 debt? right?!

so two thoughts after reading the posts since i've been gone.
1. i think the waitlist people should not give up hope, especially since maryland doesn't require a deposit to hold your acceptance! there's no reason NOT to hold onto it! i'm betting a bunch of people will drop at the last minute...

2. i received an email notifying me my finaid package had been revised, i got a perkins loan (yippee!)...you still have to pay it back but at least i don't have to take out a private loan now...that was about two weeks ago...i had called them RIGHT after i got the first package and put my name on the waiting list for more $$$...

Thanks for the encouragement neuropower! It is definitely needed at this point :p What parts of Europe did you visit?

OK, maybe I am obsessing about nothing... but has any other waitlister tried accessing your websuite login? (The site that tells your application status) Well I was checking it periodically to see if my status changed (Eventhough I dont know if it would post it on there or not) and today when I tried logging on, it wouldnt let me. Anyone else experiencing this problem, or know why I am? Or am I the only freak that is neurotic enough to do this? :rolleyes:

Haha, I check the website all the time. It won't let me in either, but it happened before, the thing close down every once a while.

hi y'all :)

Hopefully one of you waitlisters will get my spot since I will be withdrawing from UMD next week :luck:

I was really looking forward to meeting everyone :( At any rate, for people who are definitely going to UMD- good luck and don't study too hard :p

- tink

tinkerbelle said:

Hopefully one of you waitlisters will get my spot since I will be withdrawing from UMD next week :luck:

I was really looking forward to meeting everyone :( At any rate, for people who are definitely going to UMD- good luck and don't study too hard :p

- tink
Oh wow, congrats, I am assuming you got into somewhere that you like better.

decflower said:
Anybody got a hold of a list of required books for 1st years? I just want to know how many of my undergrad bio books I should actually hold on to.

I just bought some of the books that were recommended for next year...
For S&D-
Netter, Grays Anatomy for Students (relatively new book, but its supposed to be better than Moore's), Color Atlas of Histology, Langman's Essential Medical Embyology by Sadler

For C&MB
I didnt really by books for this one- we used Lehninger in my undergraduate biochem, so I didnt need to get that, I also have Lippincott's Biochemistry.

And for those of you on the waitlist- I talked to the admissions office, there has been some movement on the waitlist, about 5 people, and there are about 153 people in the class right now.

tinkerbelle said:

- tink

oh tink! i was looking forward to meeting you! where are you going?

Members don't see this ad :)
boobah16 said:
Thanks for the encouragement neuropower! It is definitely needed at this point :p What parts of Europe did you visit?

in france, we went to marseille, arles, and avignon
and in spain, barcelona, granada, and malaga

granada is really cool cuz they give you free tapas with every beer! everybody there has a potbelly though :)

it was so much fun...i want to go back instead of sitting at my boring job all day :p

neuropower said:
oh tink! i was looking forward to meeting you! where are you going?

hi neuropower :) I decided to go to URochester (in NY).

Have fun at UMD though! And I hope your commute isn't too bad. I'm sure the ipod will make it a gazillion times better :p

Quick question...will most of you (and do most of the current students) live in downtown bmore, or do a lot of people commute? It looks like I'll be commuting from about 10 miles outside the city.

I'll be commuting from the northern edge of the city limits. If anyone lives in Mt. Washington, Roland Park, Hampden, or thereabout (maybe even upper Charles Village), and wants to carpool, let me know. Maybe we can work something out to cut parking costs.

decflower said:

OMG, relax!! I'm in UMD class of 08 so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask. Most of your books from undergrad are useless. Lenninger for CMB is good, but Lippincotts is better and a lot shorter. You will not have time to read Lenninger for class, but its a good go to for something you may not understand from lecture. Either way, you should not be buying these books now unless you are getting a great deal that you can't pass up. More importantly, for S&D you need a Netter's Atlas which last year we got free from AMSA by paying for membership (which is cheaper than the price of the book). A Rohen Atlas is also great since it has actual photographs of cadavers instead of drawings. Medical Embryology is a good book too and comes with a cool CD called Symbrio. In my opinion, the histology book was a waste since pretty much all histo questions on exams will come straight from lecture powerpoints.

I am someone who bought every single book for every class, although I really wish now that I didn't. You will never use half of them since UMD is great about giving out extensive notes for every class and all powerpoints are available online. Either way, don't go nuts getting all these books over the summer. You'll have plenty of time to get them during orientation or once S&D begins. For now, sit back and enjoy your summer.

Anyway, any other questions, ask away or PM me if you want. Good luck and see ya next year.

AdrenalineJunki said:
And for those of you on the waitlist- I talked to the admissions office, there has been some movement on the waitlist, about 5 people, and there are about 153 people in the class right now.

Thx for the info. I was wondering if you or anybody know how they inform you about getting off waitlist, by letter or by phone. Also, when you said 5 ppl, does that mean that they only pull 5 ppl off the waitlist, or 5 spots are available to give out. Also, when did you talk to them when they said there are 153 ppl in the class right now. Thx

Hey there-

Good luck to all you who are waiting still. If anyone's waiting at U of cincinnati, I'm giving up my spot there.

I'm looking for a roommate in b'more. Anyone know if the school helps out with that at all? or Is anyone looking for a roommate? Let me know!

T

School only helps out with roommates for campus-associated housing (University Suites/Pascault Row). There's also a link on the Residence Office website to a bulletin board with roommate requests.

tnote said:
Hey there-

Good luck to all you who are waiting still. If anyone's waiting at U of cincinnati, I'm giving up my spot there.

I'm looking for a roommate in b'more. Anyone know if the school helps out with that at all? or Is anyone looking for a roommate? Let me know!

T

Hey guys, glad to be officially joining this thread:) I got the call from Dr. Foxwell today! It still hasnt really sunken in yet...
Cant wait to meet you all in August!

PS-Im going to be needing a roommate too!

Congrats, boobah! Welcome!

Hi all,
For those of you who have known you were going to UMD for a while; what kind of information have you already received? I just got my acceptance letter in the mail, and I expected some more info, but it only told me what day orientation/classes start. Should I expect more paperwork soon? Or should I be calling someone for more info.
Thanks for your help!

We haven't received any further information. In past years, the school has sent out a big packet of info in mid-July.

Hey, I just wanted to congratulate all class of 2009'ers starting soon at UMB! I graduated 2005, so I won't be around when any of you get there. But it's a great school, and if you'd like any info feel free to PM me.
-Sledge

Does anyone know the date of UMD's white coat ceremony?

I know this question has been asked before, but I figured since it is now getting close to the starting date, maybe people have finalized a place. I just found a place in Federal hill and I love it! but its still about 1.6 miles away from campus. Is anyone else living out that way? Do you know if there are shuttles or a public bus that we can take to class? Its within walking distance on nice days, but Im trying to think ahead to the colder parts of the year. Thanks!

boobah16 said:
I know this question has been asked before, but I figured since it is now getting close to the starting date, maybe people have finalized a place. I just found a place in Federal hill and I love it! but its still about 1.6 miles away from campus. Is anyone else living out that way? Do you know if there are shuttles or a public bus that we can take to class? Its within walking distance on nice days, but Im trying to think ahead to the colder parts of the year. Thanks!

I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I would encourage you to check out the MTA website (www.mtamaryland.com) or call them at 1-866-RIDE-MTA. You should be able to find out which bus runs closest to your start and end points. COngrats on your apartment. Federal Hill seems like a great place to live!

By the way, no one has received an orientation/information packet yet, right?
Just getting a bit anxious.

starfruit said:

I got mine alrdy, you haven't got yours yet? :D

Oh wait, I am still on the waitlist. ;)

Very funny, nervous. I hope you get a call soon so you, too, can get an information packet. ;) :luck:

nervouspremed said:
I got mine alrdy, you haven't got yours yet? :D

Oh wait, I am still on the waitlist. ;)

starfruit said:
I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I would encourage you to check out the MTA website (www.mtamaryland.com) or call them at 1-866-RIDE-MTA. You should be able to find out which bus runs closest to your start and end points. COngrats on your apartment. Federal Hill seems like a great place to live!

Thanks for the info starfruit! And, no, I havent gotten any orientation info yet either.

starfruit said:

Nope, haven't gotten mine either.

Hey everyone, I'll see you at orientation!!! Baltimore is a fun town, it's gonna be a blast!(Or a lot of studying)

Hey guys, quick question. When we received our information packet a couple weeks ago, I wasnt on the list of students; I guess since I got in off the waitlist later than they made the list. Anyway, since I wasnt on the list, I wasnt assigned a big sib. My question is, has anyone even heard from their big sib yet? Should I make a point to call the office and see about getting one assigned? Or should I just wait?
Thanks for your help and Ill be seeing you all in a couple weeks:)

My assigned Big Sib hasn't contacted me yet. I think we all meet up on the evening of the third day of orientation, according to the schedule. :)

I met my big sib, but only cause I already knew her... There is an event during orientation where you get to meet them(hopefully).

Hey everyone, I guess it's over for me since there hasn't been any movement for 3 weeks now, I am leaving for St Louis on Wednesday. It was nice knowing you guys, and good luck in school. :thumbup:

Hi. i just wanted to say that I wasn't assigned a big sib yet either. When I called, the lady in the office told me that they would be sending out an updated list soon. So I guess keep an eye out!