***official Ucla Som Class Of 2012~!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I missing out if I can't attend Recruitment Weekend? I noticed that there's a white coat fitting but will we be able to purchase our white coats via mail later? I live on the East Coast and I'm not sure if I can afford a $400 plane ticket to go to a one day event.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools offer a reimbursement on travel expenses for second look, you might want to double check with the UCLA admin office...
hope you can make it!

Am I missing out if I can't attend Recruitment Weekend? I noticed that there's a white coat fitting but will we be able to purchase our white coats via mail later? I live on the East Coast and I'm not sure if I can afford a $400 plane ticket to go to a one day event.

It would be nice to be able to go, but I can totally understand not wanting to spend $400 if you live far away. I probably wouldn't spend $400 if I were in your shoes, so don't worry about it. I'm sure you can take care of all of the white coat stuff later. Many people get accepted off the waitlist way after the recruitment day, and I'm sure they get properly sized white coats, etc. so attending recruitment day isn't a must.

To be honest, I don't really need to any convincing or "recruitment" when it comes to UCLA because I'm 95% sure I'll be matriculating there. The only reason I'm attending is to see more of the school/hospital (I'm sure everyone would agree that the tour on interview day was very cursory compared to most other schools), have some fun and get a head start on meeting everyone on this thread and all my other future classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools offer a reimbursement on travel expenses for second look, you might want to double check with the UCLA admin office...
hope you can make it!

Has anyone heard about this from Geffen? Other schools have been very upfront about reimbursements...

what are the 2-bedroom units at Weyburn like? Do they have 2 bathrooms? I was looking on the housing site and there's a floor plan for the studio but I couldn't find one for the 2 bedroom units...

so are you guys doing the housing apps now? or are you waiting until after recruitment day when hopefully we'll get a chance to see the different floor plans in weyburn and maybe meet possible room mates?

so are you guys doing the housing apps now? or are you waiting until after recruitment day when hopefully we'll get a chance to see the different floor plans in weyburn and maybe meet possible room mates?

unfortunately i won't be able to make it to the normal revisit day so looking for potential roommates is out...

i'll either look for a studio at weyburn or enter a lottery (does UCLA have those?)

i think i might just apply now for housing...but i am on the market for roomies!
do you know if we can still choose roommates if we apply now, or if we have to just take what they give us?

i applied like two weeks ago for an aug 1 move-in. they said that if you meet someone down the line you want to room with, you can add that later.

alright, then maybe ill apply now. are most of you applying for the 2 bed apartment, townhouse or studio?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone...i was accepted to ucla/drew last month but was on sdn hiatus so i have a LOT of thread reading to catch up on =)...

from my cruising this thread someone said that drew students go to recruitment on the 18th? my sched starts onthe 19--am i missin something??

also i think someone mentioned carpooling from the bay area...im totally down for sharing a car/splitting gas.

soooo excited!! am going to la this weekend and cannot wait =)

hi everyone...i was accepted to ucla/drew last month but was on sdn hiatus so i have a LOT of thread reading to catch up on =)...

from my cruising this thread someone said that drew students go to recruitment on the 18th? my sched starts onthe 19--am i missin something??

also i think someone mentioned carpooling from the bay area...im totally down for sharing a car/splitting gas.

the geffen sched says april 19th. however, i talked to the admissions people at drew, and they said we will also have a seperate one with drew on the 18th. i made sure to check so i could get plane tickets accordingly.

from what i'm told, it's just the beginning of doing everything twice. two recruitment weekends. two white coats. two graduations. i even think you get to put MD behind your name twice. :D

congrats!!!!! :thumbup:

is it true that financial aid packages are only released after you turn in all of those health forms they sent?

that's the word on then street

for those that already did the health form stuff, did you just give your doctor the form they sent you, or did you have to go print stuff off of the studenthealth website. i ask because when i logon to the studenthealth site it just says that it cant locate my record (it recognizes my login and password). do we need to print anymore forms? there was some mention of this in the letter.

for those that already did the health form stuff, did you just give your doctor the form they sent you, or did you have to go print stuff off of the studenthealth website. i ask because when i logon to the studenthealth site it just says that it cant locate my record (it recognizes my login and password). do we need to print anymore forms? there was some mention of this in the letter.

i just went to my doc, had her do all the titers (which were NOT cheap), then came back a week later and picked up the form after all the test results came back. i also included, with the form, a copy of all my lab results just for good measure (my IgG kicked some serious a$$). don't think we need to include any other forms.

i just went to my doc, had her do all the titers (which were NOT cheap), then came back a week later and picked up the form after all the test results came back. i also included, with the form, a copy of all my lab results just for good measure (my IgG kicked some serious a$$). don't think we need to include any other forms.

did you go to your own doctor or UHS?

did you go to your own doctor or UHS?

UTexas UHS, since my insurance deemed it "unnecessary" and wouldn't cover it. MUCH cheaper than paying the doc out of pocket, but still not cheap overall by any means (about $200).

UTexas UHS, since my insurance deemed it "unnecessary" and wouldn't cover it. MUCH cheaper than paying the doc out of pocket, but still not cheap overall by any means (about $200).

hmmm i wonder if my insurance is going to cover this...i really hope so, but i am afraid it wont. i guess ill see when i get that lovely statement in the mail.

I know this sounds creepy but did you just go to the allergy/immunization clinic or did you go to general medicine?

I know this sounds creepy but did you just go to the allergy/immunization clinic or did you go to general medicine?

allergy/immunization was able to order all the tests and had a much more open sched and shorter wait.

you from tejas?

allergy/immunization was able to order all the tests and had a much more open sched and shorter wait.

you from tejas?

yep...not 100% sure about UCLA yet but it's beginning to look more and more like that's where I'll be!

fyi, financial aid packages come in june. and your health clearance has nothing to do with financial aid, just for registration for classes, etc. the financial aid office confirmed this.

That's really late? Or do most schools tell us in June?

I did talk to FA today, and she said , if we need estimates for "choosing" purposes, to email her once we turn in the FAFSA and NEED ACCESS Forms, and she will put together an estimate...if you need it...

fyi, financial aid packages come in june. and your health clearance has nothing to do with financial aid, just for registration for classes, etc. the financial aid office confirmed this.

That's really late? Or do most schools tell us in June?

I did talk to FA today, and she said , if we need estimates for "choosing" purposes, to email her once we turn in the FAFSA and NEED ACCESS Forms, and she will put together an estimate...if you need it...

I hope we can get some sort of concrete estimate on scholarship, grants, etc, because I'm going to be turning down some free money here in Tejas, which makes the cost of LA that much more. Pretty sure I'll be there, but I don't want to have to sell one of my kidneys on the black market once I get out there.

yeaa i totally feel you...even tho i live in sf now i cant imagine living in la with that high cost of living when im a med student and no longer have a source of income -__-;

since im going to be in la on friday i really wanted to be able to take a housing tour..but the management at weyburn says all their housing is full and they dont have any empty rooms i can see...does anyone maybe know someone i could get in touch with that might be nice enough to show me how they live out there in westwood--im particularly interested in seeing the weyburn studios...i wanna start imagining my new life =D !!

is the intent to register form binding? how do i find it online?

thanks!

is the intent to register form binding? how do i find it online?

thanks!

i dont think that it is binding. you should get something in the mail soon with your student id number. you need that number to sign intent to register. it also has instructions with the website to go to. just in case here is the link:

https://www.ursa.ucla.edu/Default.asp

go here then click on the link for "new to ursa"

yea and once you sign-in you get the very HOT ucla.edu email address =D!

Hey, check out the new rankings!!!

UCLA moved up a few notches!! ~~Top ten baby~~!!

ucla - #9 (moving on up)
baylor - #13 (dropping like a rock)

take that baylor! muah ha ha ha :smuggrin:

(is 23 too young to be bitter?)

I was super excited to see UCLA move up!

I am still so torn about where to go: I guess it might come down to classmates!:oops:

I was super excited to see UCLA move up!

I am still so torn about where to go: I guess it might come down to classmates!:oops:

hey ladydoc...what are your choices besides UCLA?

I've pretty much made my decision, but haven't yet withdrawn from other schools b/c i'm curious as to what their financial aid package looks like...

hey ladydoc...what are your choices besides UCLA?

I've pretty much made my decision, but haven't yet withdrawn from other schools b/c i'm curious as to what their financial aid package looks like...

I am deciding between UCLA and UCSF--both great, with similar programs...everyday I change my mind... any tips? :thumbup:

I am deciding between UCLA and UCSF--both great, with similar programs...everyday I change my mind... any tips? :thumbup:

wow...tough choice...though certainly a good dilema to have.

While i'm sure UCSF rates much higher than UCLA (in many respects: research, $$, etc.), I'm not big on numbers. I'm sure you already have, but consider some of these factors:
-curriculum: i like the fact that UCLA allows a lot of time for independent study
-research: i think (not sure here) that UCSF is big on research..so is that a priority/interest for you?
-location: this is big. where is your family/ "support system"... my family i'm sure will play a big role when things get tough, so it's nice being local and nearby
-cost of living: seems to go hand-in-hand with the above, but nor-Cal does have a higher cost of living
-patient population: i may be way off here, but i think LA/So-Cal offers more opportunity to work with underserved/Latino/Af. Amer. populations...something that is of interest to me. Again, not based on fact.

This is definitely a "win-win" situation, so go with your heart...and follow the money too haha (see who'll give you more $$)

best of luck...and see you in a few weeks at UCLA

So I'm pretty sure I rsvped for the recruitment day, but when i check my status now, it says deadline has passed for rsvping. Do you guys also have that or did I forget to do it.

pntgrd-- the same thing happened to me and since i was so excited about revisit i called to make sure everything was ok--and i was on the list and it was alll goooood...so i think its just something the page does-- see you at revisit!

So I'm all ready to turn in my fin aid stuff, and was planning on going with Bank of America because of the electronic funds transfer, the 0.25% rate reduction (if you get BOA checking and savings accounts), and the zero-fee policy.

What are you guys thinking of going with?

So I'm all ready to turn in my fin aid stuff, and was planning on going with Bank of America because of the electronic funds transfer, the 0.25% rate reduction (if you get BOA checking and savings accounts), and the zero-fee policy.

What are you guys thinking of going with?

I went through all of them and compared incentives. They were all very very similar EXCEPT Allstudentloans. For people going to school in California (all of us!!) you can get 2.25% off the interest rate immediately upon repayment if you set up automatic payments and make sure to make your payments on time. It sounded like it was too good to be true, but I checked it out semi-thoroughly and it looks legit. Here is the link:

https://www.allstudentloan.org/public/Main.aspx

It leaves you with an interest rate of 4.55%. That is pretty effing good.

Oh and there is no origination fee either. Personally, I wouldn't go with BOA. If you run the numbers, a .25% interest rate cut doesn't do all that much. If you don't go with Allstudentloans, I would seriously consider one of the other lenders that offers rebate incentives. I did the math and you end up saving more with the rebate incentives than with a .25 or even .75% rate reduction.

quick question..given the info above (allstudenloans vs. BOA), is it possible to change your selection once a financial package has been been determined/awarded to you?

I have already submitted all my materials...so just wondering if this is worth a call to the FAO or if I can hold off until they provide a finalized package

thx

Oh crap! I forgot to select a lender on the form!! That's what I get for trying to rush to the post office before it closes. I guess I'll call them or send another form or something. Thanks Christian for the info! I'll be selecting that one!