Official Wake Forest Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Circadian Man

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have several threads dealing with Wake Forest issues right now, so I thought we should start an official thread for Wake Forest as others have done for their schools.

I have seen several posts requesting information about this year's match list, so I have attached a copy of it for anyone who is interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2004 house officer appointments.pdf
    79.1 KB · Views: 351
I called financial aid yesterday and they said that award letters will be sent out in the next 2 weeks, assuming all your info is in. Well before may15th.

Does anybody know how generous wake has been historically?

Also, is anybody going back for a second look, ie to show significant others the area? Did you arrange a tour or set-up time to talk to students?

Whoa, lots of people matched at Wake. I guess that bodes well...they liked the school and area enough to stay for another 3+ years.

I'm going up to look around at apartments this weekend with my signficant other. But since we only live an hour away, its not too big of a deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, is anybody going back for a second look, ie to show significant others the area? Did you arrange a tour or set-up time to talk to students?

I spent a week in Winston-Salem about a month ago to look around and learn the area. I didn't arrange anything through the admissions office, but I did stop by to ask for housing information and I met a medical student for lunch and a tour of the hospital. I don't know what you guys are looking for in terms of housing, but it seems that most medical students rent houses near the hospital (on and around Hawthorne Road). Apparently the medical center owns many of the houses in this area and rents them to medical students at a fair price. There aren't many apartments in this area, and it seems like the nicer apartment complexes are in the western part of the city. Again, I don't know what degree of comfort/luxury you are looking for, but there are several places on and around Country Club Road. My wife and I are going to live at one of these apartments, and it is about seven miles from the medical center. This is a little further than I had hoped to drive, but it is a really nice place and we got a good deal on it. Plus, it's really convenient to all the grocery stores and shopping areas, and it's no further than I have to drive to work where I live now. Let me know if I can be of any help based on my visit.

How did you arrange for the tour with the student? Through admiissions?

We are planning on buying a house. We were fortunate/smart enough to struggle with buying a house in san diego after graduating, but is paying off now. We've turned about $12,000 down payment in to $150,000 equity in 3 years! We should be able to buy a house outright.

Actually, a student called my house about a week before I had planned to visit Winston-Salem. Apparently the admissions office takes volunteers to contact accepted students to see if they have any questions or anything. Did anyone call you? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but after talking to him and telling him that I was going to be in town, he offered to meet up with me and show me around.

We had hoped to buy a house, too, but we decided to wait until we learned the area a little better. Plus, my wife is a teacher and won't likely have any job offers until the summer, so it's kind of hard to get a home loan and everything until we know for sure that she will find a teaching position. Houses seem pretty affordable in Winston-Salem, though, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding something. Good luck!

I am in. Thank God Almight I am in at last.

Yay! Congrats! I'm glad in since you seemed to like Wake so much! :D

I am going to be in Winson-Salem on the 7,8,9 of May to check it out. I can't wait to start, work is such a drag! I suppose I should just call to get the number of a student volunteer as nobody has called me yet. I wonder if it is because I was accepted off the waitlist.

Also, do waitlist people tend to get less financial aid? Does Wake have a good or bad reputation for financial aid?

Are houses really as cheap as they appear to be online? I am willing to move 10-12 miles away from school, to be able to get a 4 bedroom house.

What's the deal, don't they bump posts anymore?

twinklz said:
Yay! Congrats! I'm glad in since you seemed to like Wake so much! :D

yes I really fell in love with the area and the school when I went to interview. Ever since then, it has been my top choice. Plus now there will be three more spots open for others.

I got my financial aid stuff last week, and I am trying to decide which lender to use. I read some posts on the financial aid forum, but it seems like everyone has a different opinion. Which lender do you guys plan to use? I was thinking MEDLOANS might be the best option since it is through the AAMC, but they have an origination fee where others do not.

I just got my financial aid package today. Of course I was "awarded" only loans (just as I was expecting). I need to do some more research before I can figure out the lender. Where did you get information on the lenders they listed, as far as origination fees, etc? Websites?

My undergrad stafford loans have been sold about 4 times. I don't think I am going to use the same lender as my current loans. Because the banks sell their loans so frequently, I don't think the lender really matters that much as long as they disperse when they say they will. I am looking for the least amount of fees possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got information about the lenders from their websites and from the financial aid forum. There are several out there that do not charge an origination fee, whereas MEDLOANS has an origination fee of 3% (or 3.5%, I can't remember for sure). However, each one has different cash back incentives when you begin to repay the loans, so I don't know which one offers the best deal over the long term.

T.H.E. is the lender I'm looking at. No origination fee, and for the private loans you have a grace period of 42 months and only at the end of the grace period does capitalization occur. None of this guarantee and supplemental fee at repayment that MEDLOANS has. And they still have some sort of "saving you money" like MEDLOANS has, although I don't really understand it. I'm a dunce with stuff like that.

http://www.northstar.org/Med/default.aspx

Thanks for the link Twinklz. That seems like the best deal I have seen. Some lenders have up to 4% origination and processing fees.

I think I will probably use THE

I also decided to go with T.H.E. and sent everything in yesterday. I, too, am a "dunce" with stuff like that, but to me, they seemed to offer the best deal over all.

dsblaha said:
I am going to be in Winson-Salem on the 7,8,9 of May to check it out. I can't wait to start, work is such a drag!

This got me thinking... How many of you worked for a year or more before applying to med school? Just curious. :D

I've been working for 3 years since graduating.

Congrats to all of you future Demon Deacons. The class of 2007 looks forward to meeting you. There are several of us who roam the threads of SDN, and I'm sure that we're all more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. We're enjoying our summer and preparing for your orientation in July as well as our return to lectures in August. Enjoy your summer, rest and get ready for the whirlwind that is medical school.

-Jillianrae

Have any of you in the Class of 2008 moved to Winston-Salem yet?

I have been down here a few weeks now, although I have been in and out of the area visiting friends and such. I am very much looking forward for school to start.

For those of you looking for housing/roommates and such, the class of 2007 website has links to the school's housing website as well as posts by some of the members of the Class of 2008 who have already found housing and are looking for roommates.

www.wfusom2007.com

See you in the fall.

I will be heading out there in a month or so, just wanted to add my name to the list.
- sobeit I sent you a pm a while ago
Does anyone know anything about the Cedar Woods apartments that are really close. I just want to get something short term until I can get out there and find what I really want. (I live in Utah and will have to find something blind) Thanks

I'll be there in about 3 weeks. I really like W-S, so I can't wait to get there.

I have been in Winston-Salem for a few weeks now, so let me know if anyone has any questions about apartments or anything.

THEMANN: I remember seeing Cedar Woods apartments, but I didn't stop to look at them. I will try to see how close they are if I go out later. PM me if you have questions about other places.

Is anyone doing the pre-matriculant program? I signed up for it because I have been out of school since December, so I thought it might be a nice way to ease into medical school in order to get back into the routine of studying and everything, but now I kind of wish I hadn't.

I didn't even hear about that. I've been out of school for 3 years I am definitely worried about studying. Is it any good?

I don't know if it's any good or not. I received a letter about it a few months ago, and it just said that it offered a review of basic sciences and an introduction to problem-based learning. The letter mentioned that it might be helpful to non-science majors but was open to anyone who responded before all spots were filled. I think they take something like 15 or 20. It is two weeks long and begins July 7. After I signed up for it, I found this webpage (http://www.wfubmc.edu/school/MinorityAffairs/PMSPP.htm). The description here stated that faculty reviewed student records and selected students that they thought would benefit from the program, and it also talks about boosting self-confidence in performing at the medical school level. This all sounds a little different than the impression I got from the letter I received. It almost sounds like it is for people who they feel aren't ready for the demands of medical school or something. I don't know; I just thought the review would be helpful and the opportunity to gradually ease into medical school after being out of the classroom for a few months would be nice.

Thanks circadian man, I talked to the people at Cedar Woods and they said it is like right across the street from the school. I just want to know if the place is a complete dive or not- is it liveable. I can't see it before hand so I was wondering if anyone knows about it. I am thinking about signing a three-month lease there and then finding something else when I get out to NC. Thanks again.

If it were me, I'd pass on Cedar Woods. Although its close to the hospital, its physical appearance and clientele aren't the greatest (or so it seems). I went to Wake as an undergrad and have worked in downtown W-S for about a year since I graduated, so I'm pretty familiar with the area if you have any more questions.

If it were me, I'd pass on Cedar Woods. Although its close to the hospital, its physical appearance and clientele aren't the greatest (or so it seems). I went to Wake as an undergrad and have worked in downtown W-S for about a year since I graduated, so I'm pretty familiar with the area if you have any more questions.

I agree. I had that place confused with another place called Cedar Lakes before you mentioned that it is across the street from the hospital. Most of the options right around the hospital are houses that are for rent, many of which are listed on the medical school's webpage. If you want an apartment complex, you will have to commute a little bit to get something nice.

I'm probably moving down there in the middle of next month; I found a nice 1-bedroom apartment in a renovated house out on 4th Street.

Personally, I didn't really like the look of Cedar Woods either, but the look was all I had to go on.

Thanks for the apartment help guys, guess I will have to keep searching.

In San Diego we have a company called Cox which offers digital cable, DSL, and phone services for a combined fee and a pretty good deal. Is there anything similar in W-S? Does anybody have any recommendations on services you either like or dislike?

Time Warner Cable offers digital cable and Road Runner cable internet.
Bell South offers combined packages including cell service through Cingular, telephone, and internet.

I'm not sure how good the prices are. It seemed to me that my cable was rather expensive, and I'll be shopping around a bit more when I get back in August. I didn't really look into it before I got there last year (probably not the smartest move).

I just made it to winston-salem 3 days ago. We got a house in Clemmons, its about 10-15 minute drive from the school. If anyone is interested in doing some house painting let me know!

House painting! Sweet! Nothing I like doing more while I am crushed under a nasty load of med school classes. That will be cool to have a house of your own though. I should be getting out there sometime next week.

I am glad to see this thread high on the forum list again.