Official WAMC thread for EM applicants

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Smiths11, Dec 12, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Gomertose

Gomertose

Medical Student
    How many programs did you apply to? Step 2 score available at time of application?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TachycardicMS

TachycardicMS

As for non-reach programs or those that I may have the best chance of matching into, how does one go about finding this info? Like say I wanted to comprise a list 20 programs with the best odds of taking me, then use said list to apply for always for the best possible set up....

Is this reasonable?
    Any resources or threads already on this?

4. doggydog

doggydog Woof.

Medical Student
    The Rank Order List this year will be your best bet to see the programs you are competitive for. But even then, this whole process is a crapshoot. I'm convinced it's almost completely random for those of us who aren't rock stars.

5. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Banned Banned

Medical Student
    Hello - I am a M3 at a allopathic med school in the southeast. I did a 2 week EM elective during my Family Medicine rotation, and fell in love with the field. Right now, I am considering IM (eventually critical care), and EM. However, I didn't do all that well on my step 1 - I only achieved a 222. I see on Charting the outcomes that EM average for step 1 is near the mid 230s.

Let's say I score 10 pts higher on Step2CK - and have a 222 Step 1, 232 Step2CK, and get high passes on my 2 EM rotations - do I have good shot of matching? If my chances are low, maybe I will have to arrange my 4th year so that I can apply to a back up specialty.

Thanks Y'all!

6. Cinclus

Cinclus Es un pájaro. Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your Step 1 score will definitely not prevent you from matching in EM. Do well on Step 2 CK, of course, and most importantly, do well on EM rotations and get good SLOEs.

7. LostinLift

LostinLift 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should look at the data more thoroughly, averages are pretty meaningless by themselves. Step 1 between 221-230 had 309 seniors out of 330 match. Step 1 between 231-240 had 323 seniors out of 341 match. Not gonna bother calculating it, but there is definitely not a significant difference there. Under 220 it drops a little bit, but still the majority match. Look up ALIEM videos on youtube, they have several program director match panels and they discuss a ton of useful information. Basically, most programs really use it as more of a cutoff and don't consider it too important.

AlgernonMed likes this.
  8. surely

surely MD Class of 2018 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here's a thing I've always wondered, might as well ask here: Does Charting Outcomes only track people matching to their first-ranked specialty? Or can a single applicant get counted towards two specialties?

Two examples:

1) If imaginary-student Amy ranks EM programs as the first 1-5 programs on her Rank Order List, but then ranks 3 Family programs as backup programs after that, and she matches into Family, does she count toward the unmatched total for EM as well as the matched total for Family?

2) If imaginary-student Bob ranks Derm programs as his first 5 ranks, but applied to EM as a backup with 3 ranks (he's got solid stats but doesn't have the most EM-focused application, and only gets a couple interviews as a result), and doesn't match to either - He would obviously be listed as unmatched for Derm, but does he also contribute to Charting Outcome's tiny pool of 2 people with step scores between 251-260 who didn't match to EM?

9. surely

surely MD Class of 2018 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just for completeness' sake, I want to point out that the Step 1 stats in Charting Outcomes is NOT based on those who applied to EM programs via ERAS, but rather appears to only include applicants who ranked at least one EM program.

So if a person with a 222 applied to EM and didn't get a single EM interview, that person would then not rank any EM programs, and would be "invisible" to Charting Outcomes.

It's theoretically possible, though unlikely, that a significant portion of people are not receiving any EM interviews at all, making Charting Outcomes challenging to draw conclusions from. You could, at best, say that 309 US seniors out of at least 330 within that Step 1 range matched.

For a good example look at Dermatology - It would appear that 50% of the people with Step 1 scores between 201 and 210 matched successfully into Derm, but it's likely that multiple people in that range received no interviews and therefore were not counted (not sure how many people in that range actually applied to Derm, but let's pretend it's non-zero).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

doggydog likes this.
  10. CliveStaples

CliveStaples 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sure, you're theoretically right. But you're also wrong. Just take a look at the SDN application and interviews thread. Nobody ends up without interviews - the process of getting SLOEs makes it essentially impossible unless you only do rotations at places that don't always offer interviews to their rotating students (and these programs are rare). You can use the data comfortably.

surely likes this.
  11. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Since there were 4 of these threads, in addition to the inverview, rank order lists, and other threads, I've merged all of the "what are my chances threads".

12. HLxDrummer

HLxDrummer 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I applied to 50 or 60 programs. I had step 2 available as I took it early.

13. PennDippody

PennDippody Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pg 3 states in foot note: "Table 1 provides a summary of the numbers of positions for selected specialties and the numbers of all applicants and U.S. allopathic seniors who preferred each specialty. For example, a total of 1,771 applicants preferred Anesthesiology (or ranked an Anesthesiology position first), among whom 1,076 were U.S. allopathic seniors (1,048 matched and 28 not matched to Anesthesiology). For each of the 1,696 Anesthesiology positions there were 1.04 applicants who preferred the specialty, including 0.63 U.S. allopathic seniors.."

14. PennDippody

PennDippody Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Dude I feel for ya but honestly it could be worse.

IMO you've got some room to make things right. Namely, SLOE's, Step2, and your remaining 2 clerkships (and likely in that order of importance). The problem is, its pretty rare to just fumble through school and suddenly make everything up with stellar grades and board scores...its just a lot of base knowledge to have to compensate for. You should really figure out what you need to do in order to perform much better from here forward - you've really got no lives left. That said, if you do somehow pull it off, I'd like to think someone would see potential in you as a resident.

15. dragonfly239

dragonfly239

Medical Student
    Hey guys, I just realized that one out of my 3 SLOEs has negative comments. It basically says my performance is average to under average. Now I know I can't change my SLOE comment, but what else can I do to help with my chances? I have 1 more interview coming up and I'm planning on doing well on that one. Other than that, I was just wondering if you guys know someone who matched with a bad SLOE? I have 8 interviews in total for EM. DO student

16. Smiths11

Smiths11 5+ Year Member

Sorry to hear that! Just curious though, how do people find out what's written on their SLOEs? I've never gotten any feedback on any of my SLOEs or LORs.

17. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director

Attending Physician
    So much for waiving the right to see the letter....

18. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    PhD
    Waiving your right to see the letter doesn't mean you can't see it, or hear about it's content.

I've had LOR writers email them to me, either before, or after, they were submitted. I've also heard from interviewers that "Dr. X said Y about you in her LOR." Both are totes legit and fulfill both the letter and spirit of "the law".

19. RustedFox

RustedFox We're all stars now. In the GOAT RODEO. 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  20. SpacemanSpifff

SpacemanSpifff 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Totes = totally

21. PatekPhilippe

Medical Student
    How did they rank you? If you are middle 1/3 - then that is considered "good".

22. doggydog

doggydog Woof.

Medical Student
    The post says he has negative comments, which is completely separate than any of the ranking categories.

23. PatekPhilippe

Medical Student
    average to below-average is not a bad comment. Half of all EM applicants are below average by that definition. It does not raise any professionalism or interpersonal issues.

24. doggydog

doggydog Woof.

Medical Student
  25. DisasterFlatulence

DisasterFlatulence

Medical Student
    Confused 3rd year DO here, 1st time poster. After my EM rotation, I'm convinced that EM is right for me.

Step 1 USMLE: 248.
    Step 1 COMLEX: 591.
    IM: Honrs
    Surgery: Pass
    Peds: Honors
    EM: Honors

My question is regarding research. I'm over halfway into my 3rd year and I have zero research experience throughout medical school. I'm planning on applying for DO and MD residencies. I'm at a school that put me in a community hospital with no residents and attendings that don't really give a **** so I don't know where to start for research. I'm aware that my USMLE is competitive for EM and I'm confident that I will be getting positive SLOE's but being that it's halfway through 3rd year and I have yet to take Step 2, should I even try for research at this point?

26. CliveStaples

CliveStaples 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well what do you want? If you haven't done any research and you aren't interested in it... don't do it. There are plenty of programs that don't care at all if you've done research. If you're interested in a career in academics and want to go to a very academically driven residency, then it's probably more important that you pursue some research - but honestly that's more for your sake than your residency chances.

EMthriveaway likes this.
  27. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director

Attending Physician
    Research matters if applying to research heavy academic programs. If you are going the community academic route, it ranges from being more of an added bonus on the application to making no difference whatsoever. Not discouraging you from research, just saying you should do it because you want to do it, not because you have a mistaken sense of being obligated to do EM research to match in EM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

28. GandalfTheWhite

GandalfTheWhite Chillin in Isengard 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Current MS3
    School Rank: ~25 MD school
    Preclinical grades: average
    Step 1: 239
    Clinical grades: H or NH (near honors) so far. HP in Surg. Waiting on FM/IM/Neuro. School has F/P/HP/NH/H system.
    No AOA. Will be 3rd Quartile by end of 3rd year
    Research: 2 pubs (2nd and 3rd) 2 poster presentations, 1 abstract, 1 conference. 1 year of research experience from my masters degree with thesis/dissertation published at schools journal.
    Will be doing home for SLOE + chairman letter and 1 or 2 aways for more SLOEs

WAMC for school like Duke, Vandy, Indy, Carolinas, etc? Or some 4 year schools like Cincy or Denver?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  29. lucid_leprechaun

lucid_leprechaun

Medical Student
    If you get some good SLOEs you should be a candidate for these programs. It can be a crap shoot though. If you're at a West Coast school your chances will probably be better, especially for Denver.
    The main thing will be strong SLOEs, though, which makes it tough to predict.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  30. SpacemanSpifff

Medical Student
    Tough to say. Landing an away is your best chance at guaranteeing an interview at one of these shops. Personal opinion: these programs have pretty different vibes. Think hard about what you want in a program before applying based solely on prestige.

31. GandalfTheWhite

Non-Student
    well, that would be what the interview is supposed to find out, the vibe that best suits me. Without that, theres no real way to see which fit is better, short of doing aways. And my aways are going to be at 2 of those schools so hopefully ill know ahead of time.

32. SpacemanSpifff

Medical Student
    Sorry, I should have been more specific than "vibe". Some of the programs you listed are very different in the way they approach training residents. Try to synthesize the information already available to you (program websites, reviews on SDN, advisor input) to know what sort of training philosophy you're looking for prior to application season - or, even better, prior to selecting your away rotations.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  33. lucid_leprechaun

lucid_leprechaun

Medical Student
    Completely agree, important to think about what training environment you want to end up in. Alternatively, if you're not sure where you fit best/ what interests you, you may decide to try to do aways at very different institutions to get a better idea of your options.

34. GandalfTheWhite

Non-Student
    I will definitely give this more thought. Besides looking at their curriculum, research, and resident responsibilities, what else should I look at when evaluating these programs?

35. lucid_leprechaun

lucid_leprechaun

Medical Student
    Sounds like a pretty good place to start. The one other thing you might want to look at specifically is where graduates have gone, i.e. academic vs. community.
    There's also the difference between faculty driven and resident driven programs. There are a lot of programs out there where you start off working with and learning from upper level residents. Other programs have more faculty involvement and input. There is also a difference between programs that have graded responsibility and those that have you seeing everything/anything starting day 1. It seems that most of the programs that are more resident driven tend to be the ones where you hit the ground running, but there are various combinations out there.
    It can be tough to identify these things without visiting a program, however some of the residency reviews comment on these issues.
    Just my two cents :cigar:

36. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    Hey guys! Have recently decided on EM and have a few questions. Here are my stats

- School: DO school
    - Step 1: 257, Level 1:826
    - Pre clinical: top of class
    - M3: all 95+ so far
    - Research: one paper pending submission, one case report to be submitted in the next few weeks, several poster presentations

How many programs should I apply to as a DO?

I'm mainly interested in staying in Texas...But would be ok in LA,AR,OK. There unfortunately aren't many programs in these areas. Are there any other specific programs in other locations that you guys would recommend?

37. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    You'll be fine. Apply wherever you want.

38. MelMcT2009

MelMcT2009

Medical Student
    How many programs do you recommend?

39. lucid_leprechaun

lucid_leprechaun

Medical Student
    As many as you want/are interested in. The odds of you matching are very good, especially if you get good letters. Some people do fine applying to 20 programs, others don't match after applying to 100. The trend has been for students to apply broadly due to perceived competitiveness of EM, however whether or not this is warranted depends on the strength of your application. Your stats are good. I would research programs, feel out program differences on aways, and apply to places you'd like to train.

About the ads