Official WAMC thread for EM applicants

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Smiths11, Dec 12, 2016.

1. theonlytycrane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    @gamerEMdoc Does research (in EM or outside of EM) matter to you?

I'm trying to figure out how much to keep investing a non-EM project that I have pretty much no interest in. I presented a poster, but more work would be done to write a paper for it. I'm wondering if I should keep at it, scrap it, or switch to EM-related research? I have no intention to do research in residency and beyond (I'm interested in community EM).

2. r-e-l-a-x

I can tell you from my n=1 that i have no papers or publications or anything and i got tons of interviews. I also have below average board scores so it was really just SLOEs that opened the doors. After 10 interviews have been asked about research zero times.

3. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director
    Physician Faculty Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not really. I'm impressed by someones research if the candidate has a legit interest in research, has been involved in several studies, and has a few publications. That's impressive, and could be an asset having them in your program, because finding people who will help churn out publications is helpful for the faculty. But that's assuming the person is good clinically. You aren't going to take a candidate who is a bad clinical student because they do research. Otherwise, people just doing a single token project just to do a project to pad their resume isn't really important to me.

4. liveonthewater

Medical Student
    I second this. N=2

theonlytycrane likes this.
  5. theonlytycrane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    @r-e-l-a-x @liveonthewater thanks for the insight! Makes me feel better about not caring about research. I think I'll mainly focus on a solid board score for now. It sounds like getting good clinically throughout M3 before auditions is the most important thing?

gamerEMdoc likes this.
  6. liveonthewater

Medical Student
    Yeah, you got it.
    M1: Figure out how you learn best. Get decent grades. Don't fail anything. Get involved early and often.
    M2: Kill Step 1. Don't fail anything. Stay involved.
    M3: Get solid grades and even better comments from attendings. Kill Step 2.
    M4: Kill your auditions and get stellar SLOEs.

Sounds easy, right?

7. theonlytycrane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not easy, but ^ is my plan xD

8. Osteoth

Osteoth Fake it till ya' make it
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any programs that are friendly towards students with <220 Step 1 you guys can share?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. boomshaketheroom

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would check the rank order list threads from recent years and see where people with similar stats to you got interviews. Also you have a better shot if you apply in your med school region or a region where you have ties.

surely, Osteoth and gamerEMdoc like this.
  10. theonlytycrane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    @gamerEMdoc (n=1), but from a PD perspective, is there a board score range you look for?

step 1 > 230+? (or higher?)

step 2 > step 1?

thanks for the continued help!

in regards to the post below (I can take a call out xD)

#360 theonlytycrane, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  11. surely

surely MD Class of 2018
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not calling out any one particular poster, since it happens all the time, but sometimes I'm surprised by the questions that get posted here, asking @gamerEMdoc about his personal approach to candidate selection. Nearly always, the answer predictably comes down to "it depends on the program, but generally, the SLOE is the most important thing."

It's like writing in to ask, "Dear Abby, do you like beards?"

12. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    See Surely's response above this one.

I don't really care about the board scores. I look at everyones SLOEs first when deciding on interviews. I just don't like to see failures of boards, other than that, the scores don't make a determining factor. That's coming from one single program. I can't speak for everyone. Do as well as you can on the boards. Its as simple as that. Just do as well as you possibly can, but don't go crazy about the result one way or the other. Because in the end, its your SLOEs that will make the difference in the match.

13. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    I prefer being clean shaven.

14. ucantsaymyname

5+ Year Member

going to reiterate what has been said in other posts, SLOES are key. I got ~30 interview invites with a low 210s step 1 (and 240+ step 2) and good SLOEs

15. theonlytycrane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    !!

Out of curiosity, did you have any research? (Or other special ECs?)

16. lucid_leprechaun

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Try not to be bitter, if can happen. Just match and go from there. Every application is different and there are some factors outside of your control.

EMhopeful2 likes this.
  17. lucid_leprechaun

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Think of it as competing with all other applicants. If you have a great interview there’s always room on the list. That said it can be a crapshoot. Most programs rank people generally after the interview and go back after interview season is over and make the final rank list. So you will be fresh on the mind of faculty, whether that’s good or bad.

18. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    In my opinion, timing of the interview is 100% a non-issue.

19. CellPowerhouse

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hello! More than halfway through M3 year now and currently working on away applications, so I thought I'd as for advice/general thoughts here.

Step 1: 210s
    Third quintile in my class, ~90% average after the first two years.

I've done Medicine (Honors), Psych (Honors), and OB/GYN (HP). Evaluations are mostly great, mostly social skills stuff, with a sprinkling of "eager to learn more." The most negative things have been "read more" or "practice more suturing." A couple of attendings had some specific stories from the wards that I do not even remember (rounds are always a blur to me), so my evals are far from generic I would say.

Other things:
    solid research (10+ pubs, posters, abstracts overall), some unique humanities-type activities my school likes a lot, clinic manager for student-run free clinic

I'm hoping for a huge score increase for Step 2, been really working hard keeping up with the material this year. I plan on doing 2-3 aways (is this overkill?), on top of the 2 EM rotations my school offers. Those 2 rotations are at different sites and I get a SLOE from each site.

Thoughts/advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    5 EM rotations is a lot (assuming they are all at residencies). I probably wouldn't do more than 4, and even that may be overkill for most applicants.

Stephanopolous likes this.
  21. CajunMedic

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

So to update:

Applied to 57 programs total, to include 2 new ones that just got accredited.

4 Interviews: 1 AOA, 3 ACGME. Keeping my fingers crossed for the 2 new ones that are interviewing now.

2 programs told me I had excellent SLOE's.

1 vague positive post-interview communication.

AOA match tomorrow, here goes nothing....

Stephanopolous likes this.
  22. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    Best of luck Cajun!

Stephanopolous and CajunMedic like this.
  23. DOfromCanada

Medical Student
    Hey I was wondering if someone could respond or PM their thoughts if it is realistic for me to pursue EM.

DO student in U.S.
    Canadian- Will need visa sponsorship
    Step 1: 240
    Comlex: 610
    Research: 1 paper, 3 posters

My main concern is the fact I need a visa. Will that be a huge red flag for EM programs?

#373 DOfromCanada, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  24. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    The match rate for non-US foreign medical grads is pretty bad. However, there is no match data that I am aware of for non-citizen US grads such as yourself. No one will ever be able to judge your competitiveness based on board scores though. Thats not how an EM candidate is evaluated. Your boards wont be a hinderance, thats about all that can be gleened. The visa sponsorship will likely be your biggest hinderance, but Id bet you’ll be fine. Because you are a US grad, there should be no reason why you won’t be able to get multiple SLOEs from reliable programs, which IMO holds many FMG apps back.

liveonthewater and DOfromCanada like this.
  25. DOfromCanada

Medical Student

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I found one stat that said 30 Canadian 4th year DO students participated in the ACGME match in 2016, so there are very few of us.

I think there are 172 EM programs that offer visa sponsorship. Do you reckon that applying to all of them would put me in a comfortable shot at matching, assuming everything else is in order ( SLOEs, video interview ect..)?

26. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    If you have good SLOEs, you won't have to apply to that many. 172 would be overkill if you have good sloes, visa issue or not IMO. If you're more a middle of the road applicant though, I'd apply very very broadly.

Stephanopolous and DOfromCanada like this.
  27. TexasMedicine

TexasMedicine Class of 2020
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi, third year gearing up for away rotations here. Does anyone know if it matters which institution a SLOE comes from? For instance, If I do an away at a new program (only graduated 8 classes) and get a top 1/3 SLOE is the letter considered "weaker" than a program with a big name that's graduated lots of residents where I might get a middle 1/3?

28. gamerEMdoc

Attending Physician
    SLOEs are taken into context. It's not always about the name of the institution. There are some institutions that are terrible at grade distribution over-rate their sloes. There are places you may never have heard of that are tough graders. The SLOE not only asks where you are going to rank the candidate, but how many you are putting into each category. So a Top 10% SLOE is great, unless 95% of the people that rotate at a place get top 10%.

Rotate where you want to match, and where you think you have a chance of matching. Don't over think it and try to game the SLOE system. Just rotate where you want to match.

Also, a program that has graduated 8 classes isn't a new program. That's a fully accredited program that has been around for over 10 years. Half of the EM programs in existence today didn't exist 20 years ago. So 10 years in EM is actually a program that's been around a little while. The specialty isn't that old.

29. Stephanopolous

5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I'm rooting for you! I think ive been following your posts since my pre-med days, excited to see where you match and how things go.

gamerEMdoc likes this.