Often told that research experience obtained for course credit cannot count as research. Where does it say that on AAMC or AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Often told that research experience obtained for course credit cannot count as research on one’s AMCAS. Where does it say that on AAMC or AMCAS?

I have classmates that say that they’re counting those hours as Research activity on their future AMCAS.

is this ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes ofcourse it counts as research (unless it's a lab class then definitely not)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't see why it can't be research if you got a poster/pub out of it. But maybe I'm wrong

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes ofcourse it counts as research (unless it's a lab class then definitely not)
I can understand lab classes not counting. But in another forum, some were insisting that you can’t count any research hours that are linked to a course.
So wondering where on AAMC can I find…yes or no.

AMCAS does not say this as far as I know.

I think the point of confusion is whether research experience course credit counts towards your AMCAS GPA. Yes, it is calculated as part of your AMCAS GPA, but those of us who screen applications will set those grades aside when evaluating your strengths in science coursework. (Who fails their research credit? It's an artificial boost to a sGPA.)

Many applicants do honors theses as undergrads and get the research course credit to schedule time to do it. You can write about it in W/A as "research."

Reactions: 2 users
Whatever you've heard is B.S. If you take "research" for college credit, you can also include that "research" in your work & activities section of the AMCAS application.

It is no different than getting college credit for "choir" and also including that activity in your work & activities as a artistic endeavor or hobby.

Reactions: 4 users
from various premed groups. I may have also heard it from MAPPD and Medical School HQ
I agree with all above that research experience is valid even if you got college credit for it.

What you can't do is list your course homework or class research reports as publications on your AMCAS application, though, even if you wrote them up for your class in the same format journals use. This may sound silly but I have had applicants ask me this...

Reactions: 4 users
Whatever you've heard is B.S. If you take "research" for college credit, you can also include that "research" in your work & activities section of the AMCAS application.

It is no different than getting college credit for "choir" and also including that activity in your work & activities as a artistic endeavor or hobby.
So would it be fair to say the same about clinical internships with a college credit?