Oh boy, I screwed myself...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mommy Doc 85

*~*~*~*~*
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soooo, I took my kiddo to a new pediatrician recently. She grilled me about why I moved to the area, what I do, what I want to do, etc. So, naturally, I said I wanted to be a doctor. She was asking me a thousand questions about my son and my life and I got incredibly intimidated. So, she asked if I was matriculated and I said yes. This is untrue. I start back next semester but I stumbled and said the wrong thing. And she plowed on with a new string of questions and instead of stopping her to say I had misspoken, I KEPT ON WITH THE FIB! Which grew into one hell of a lie. I'm matriculated, starting science courses next semester and an idiot. :mad: I don't know why I let her intimidate me or why I didn't stop and correct myself, but there it is.

Upon investigation, she is a teacher at the school I start NEXT semester AND she's on the medical school admissions commitee. ****!!! If we stay with her as our ped she'll KNOW me. Should I out myself and say I stumbled over myself or let it slide? Why me? I never ever tell fibs or lies. Gahhh!

Members don't see this ad.

Huh. Why did you feel the need to lie?

For that matter, why is being able to speak with a member of the admissions committee a bad thing? I would have thought getting a feel for the kind of person s/he is would be something of an advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know before or during my appointment that she was adcom. I didn't even realize she was affiliated with the school. I only just found out while poking around on the ped web page.

And I'm not sure about the lie thing. I think I am a bit upset that i'm still not back on track with school and it's a huge embarassment to me, which is likely why I let the fib slip.

you should keep the lie going, just to see how far you can take it. this is hilarious.

I didn't know before or during my appointment that she was adcom. I didn't even realize she was affiliated with the school. I only just found out while poking around on the ped web page.

And I'm not sure about the lie thing. I think I am a bit upset that i'm still not back on track with school and it's a huge embarassment to me, which is likely why I let the fib slip.

I think the other poster have said it best, I wouldn't worry so much. Although, I'd probably tell her the truth the next chance you get that you're merely a starry-eyed, and embarrassed pre-med. I get the feeling you'll get the chance when she asks you how classes are going.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only person suffering from embarrassment for not getting their **** together and planning their life out properly. I had a nice little blow out thread here not so long ago. But now I'm a happy kool-aide drinking mid 20-something pre-med again.

=Mommy Doc 85;13064146She grilled me about why I moved to the area, what I do, what I want to do, etc... She was asking me a thousand questions about my son and my life and I got incredibly intimidated... And she plowed on with a new string of questions
If she's "grilling" you, asking a thousand questions about your son and your life, intimidating you, then plowing on with new questions, her patient skills are wacked out.

Either that, or you're grossly misinterpreting the situation, and are being intimidated for no reason.

It could also be a little from column A, and a little from column B.

I'm going with my gut, and saying that this shows how women can be irrational and gamey. God knows why.

I think the other poster have said it best, I wouldn't worry so much. Although, I'd probably tell her the truth the next chance you get that you're merely a starry-eyed, and embarrassed pre-med. I get the feeling you'll get the chance when she asks you how classes are going.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only person suffering from embarrassment for not getting their **** together and planning their life out properly. I had a nice little blow out thread here not so long ago. But now I'm a happy kool-aide drinking mid 20-something pre-med again.

Thank you! :) Hope it goes well for you, by the way. I think I know I should just own up, but there's always the hope that name changing and wig wearing is an option. :laugh:

If she's "grilling" you, asking a thousand questions about your son and your life, intimidating you, then plowing on with new questions, her patient skills are wacked out.

Either that, or you're grossly misinterpreting the situation, and are being intimidated for no reason.

It could also be a little from column A, and a little from column B.

I'm going with my gut, and saying that this shows how women can be irrational and gamey. God knows why.

:D Could be a bit of both. Actually, until recently I was a non-vaccinator. So, everyone in the office had a cob in their tush. I think she was attempting to be the "one in charge" because they assumed they'd need to talk me into it. Turns out they didn't need to, as my own research made me admit the benefits, though it was still excrutiating.

Not a non-vaxer but STRONGLY BELIEVE in delaye vaxing. Don't let anyone force you into anything! Pushy adorn or not ;)

Thank you! :) Hope it goes well for you, by the way. I think I know I should just own up, but there's always the hope that name changing and wig wearing is an option. :laugh:

If you must put all your eggs into one basket with the possible end point being someone thinking you are insane I would recommend you do so in the most comedic fashion possible.

stock-photo-iconic-glasses-disguise-object-not-copyrighted-with-mustache-bushy-eyebrows-and-big-nose-39208348.jpg

And thanks for the well wishes.

If you must put all your eggs into one basket with the possible end point being someone thinking you are insane I would recommend you do so in the most comedic fashion possible.

stock-photo-iconic-glasses-disguise-object-not-copyrighted-with-mustache-bushy-eyebrows-and-big-nose-39208348.jpg

And thanks for the well wishes.

Why thank you, good sir. I had not considered nosey glasses, but I do believe they'll do the job nicely!

Soooo, I took my kiddo to a new pediatrician recently. She grilled me about why I moved to the area, what I do, what I want to do, etc. So, naturally, I said I wanted to be a doctor. She was asking me a thousand questions about my son and my life and I got incredibly intimidated. So, she asked if I was matriculated and I said yes. This is untrue. I start back next semester but I stumbled and said the wrong thing. And she plowed on with a new string of questions and instead of stopping her to say I had misspoken, I KEPT ON WITH THE FIB! Which grew into one hell of a lie. I'm matriculated, starting science courses next semester and an idiot. :mad: I don't know why I let her intimidate me or why I didn't stop and correct myself, but there it is.

Upon investigation, she is a teacher at the school I start NEXT semester AND she's on the medical school admissions commitee. ****!!! If we stay with her as our ped she'll KNOW me. Should I out myself and say I stumbled over myself or let it slide? Why me? I never ever tell fibs or lies. Gahhh!

Why did you say you had matriculated?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it'll be that big of a deal if you explain what happened next time.

Why did you say you had matriculated?

Seriously. I don't get that either. If you misspoke b/c of nerves, that would have been an easy fix. Going back to it after the visit, well, I suppose it is doable, but definitely not easier. Makes it much harder to save face, but if that is what you should do, suck it up and do it.

When you see her again, just say that you were nervous and taken a bit by surprise at the questions. You meant to say that you were matriculated into a school for your pre-medical sciences.

Otherwise, if you are still in the area, she's going to wonder why you were spending 6-8 years in medical school--you know, over the time period when you bring your child back for check-ups and treatments. LOL

Of course, I'm not one to lose sleep over what people may think about me. At the same time, anything that hits against your character, integrity, and reputation in that regard is an issue. Pretty much everything else is BS.

Good luck. Just make it right when you see her again.

:D Could be a bit of both. Actually, until recently I was a non-vaccinator. So, everyone in the office had a cob in their tush. I think she was attempting to be the "one in charge" because they assumed they'd need to talk me into it. Turns out they didn't need to, as my own research made me admit the benefits, though it was still excrutiating.
What was excruciating, admitting you were wrong and changing what you do based on the evidence? That makes me respect you more, not less. Kudos to you for that. :thumbup:

As for your question, the solution is simple: next time you see her, just say that you're starting next semester instead of now, and don't offer any explanation for the "change." She probably won't even remember to ask you about it, and it isn't her business anyway.

Just play it off as saying that you thought she meant being signed up for science classes or something like that, but honestly, if she's an ADCOM, you made yourself look bad.

Not a non-vaxer but STRONGLY BELIEVE in delaye vaxing. Don't let anyone force you into anything! Pushy adorn or not ;)

That's great that you don't let your beliefs be swayed by a panel of scientists who have spent their entire careers studying vaccination and debating when the best time to give them, carefully trying to balance safety and health.

That is bound to serve you well in med school. :thumbup::thumbup:

That's great that you don't let your beliefs be swayed by a panel of scientists who have spent their entire careers studying vaccination and debating when the best time to give them, carefully trying to balance safety and health.

I agree. Preventable infectious diseases are totally overrated, especially for infants and young children.

+1

I agree. Preventable infectious diseases are totally overrated, especially for infants and young children.

Yeah, but don't worry, non-vaccinators/delayed vaccinators will be the first to scream and cry bloody murder about modern medicine not helping their children when they come down with a deadly illness and can't be saved, when a vaccination at the proper time could have prevented the illness in the first place.

keep lying, you're in too deep.

[YOUTUBE]wdl90iaBeuc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4aktWe1Bric[/YOUTUBE]

The woman probably has a few hundred patients on her roster, sees 20-30 patients a day, and could care less about you or your plans. You are probably not the first or last to discuss plans for medical school.

Are you sure that she did not sense you were fibbing, and wanted to see how far you would take it? I routinely do this when I think people are full of crap...

Lastly...when you say "matriculated", do you mean into medical school or into undergraduate studies? If it is undergraduate studies, then you are probably in the clear...thousands of students, classes of a few hundred, it is understandable if you are not noticed. If you made the mistake of claiming you had matriculated into medical school, you are not only screwed, but extremely dim witted.

I find it hard to believe that you pediatrician is teaching classes at the local university. So I am thinking you "accidentally" said you had started medical school...is this correct?

I find it hard to believe that you pediatrician is teaching classes at the local university. So I am thinking you "accidentally" said you had started medical school...is this correct?

No. I implied that I was attending the university presently for undergrad studies. I misspoke and meant to say I would begin in Spring. She is adcom for the medical school attached to my university. I suppose she may not even remember, but I still feel stupid.

No. I implied that I was attending the university presently for undergrad studies. I misspoke and meant to say I would begin in Spring. She is adcom for the medical school attached to my university. I suppose she may not even remember, but I still feel stupid.

As you should. As long as you learn from it I suppose...

Seriously? Am I the only human being who's ever misspoken? Gah, anyways, I do feel ridiculous about it, but I sure don't need a badge of approval from you. As I should? Get over yourself. Geesh.

I have learned not to get so dang intimidated by someone who is there to take care of my child, to respectfully decline to answer anything irrelevant and to find a new ped. I'm not looking for a bully. I'm looking for a doctor to care for my child through out the next several years, while respecting me as a parent. It wasn't a med school interview and it wasn't an appointment to find out all about me. She pushed it.

Luckily, she's unlikely to remember me and the school is on "the list" because of it's location to where I live currently. After some thought, I doubt it's a big deal.

Seriously? Am I the only human being who's ever misspoken? Gah, anyways, I do feel ridiculous about it, but I sure don't need a badge of approval from you. As I should? Get over yourself. Geesh.
To be fair, you didn't just misspeak. You knew that things were wrong and went with it, which means you actively lied. I don't think you should terrible though. Just set it straight if necessary.

Okay, Pai Mei. Good thing you're here, as I don't think she was really dialed in to the necessary degree of moral self-flagellation until your comment. Thanks for throwing that in there and clarifying.

While advice and encouragement (the primary function of these forums as I understand them, alongside general conversation) certainly can involve bringing one's attention to error, yours would seem a highly likely case of unneeded criticism at a time when the OP had actually gotten the advice needed.

Consider yourself out-smugged.

26962528.jpg

Okay, Pai Mei. Good thing you're here, as I don't think she was really dialed in to the necessary degree of moral self-flagellation until your comment. Thanks for throwing that in there and clarifying.

While advice and encouragement (the primary function of these forums as I understand them, alongside general conversation) certainly can involve bringing one's attention to error, yours would seem a highly likely case of unneeded criticism at a time when the OP had actually gotten the advice needed.

Consider yourself out-smugged.

26962528.jpg

You're so right, how could I have been so misguided, callous, and mean.

OP, I am sooo sorry that big, bad, mean intimidating doctor forced you to lie so you wouldn't be embarrassed about not being in school. How dare she!

I am astounded how I was not able to see that lying about being in school was actually more reasonable than telling the truth and explaining my situation, or <gasp> simply tell the doctor to mind her own business. After your argument, I can now see that this was obviously the same decision anyone would have made in your shoes.

I would tie this into your personal statement in your application for medical school! If ever there were a story about why you want to go into medicine, the one about the time you lied and then had to actually get into medical school in order to make the lie go away certainly qualifies!

I misspoke .

Stop saying you misspoke. You lied. Plain and simple. Your failure to own up is the irritating thing about this.

First it was the doctor's fault for being intimidating. Then it was you "misspoke"...

You're so right, how could I have been so misguided, callous, and mean.

OP, I am sooo sorry that big, bad, mean intimidating doctor forced you to lie so you wouldn't be embarrassed about not being in school. How dare she!

I am astounded how I was not able to see that lying about being in school was actually more reasonable than telling the truth and explaining my situation, or <gasp> simply tell the doctor to mind her own business. After your argument, I can now see that this was obviously the same decision anyone would have made in your shoes.

I would tie this into your personal statement in your application for medical school! If ever there were a story about why you want to go into medicine, the one about the time you lied and then had to actually get into medical school in order to make the lie go away certainly qualifies!

I ****ing love SDN. lol

Guys and gals, please chill. Yes, what the OP did was stupid, but if that's the worst thing she ever does for the rest of her life, well, she'll be a better person than plenty of the rest of us.

Stop saying you misspoke. You lied. Plain and simple. Your failure to own up is the irritating thing about this.

First it was the doctor's fault for being intimidating. Then it was you "misspoke"...

I believe I "owned up" well enough in my original post. As to the details; I feel sure I am using the word "misspeak" rather accurately...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misspeak

And that's the end of that.

Anyways, thanks for the comments. Just wanted a place to disuss. :)

I believe I "owned up" well enough in my original post. As to the details; I feel sure I am using the word "misspeak" rather accurately...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misspeak

And that's the end of that.

Merriam-Webster defines "Lie" as:

1. To make an untrue statement with the intention to deceive

2. To create a false or misleading impression

So while misspeak may be used "rather accurately," the term lie may be used "exactly accurately."

I apologize, I am probably being a bit to gruff. You apparently wanted people to help you rationalize this and make you feel better about your LIE*. Since I am distressing you, I will back off. I simply have a low tolerance for the "woe is me" crowd, especially when 100% of your situation is your own doing.

You probably will never see this person again. So don't worry, your LIE* will likely never come back to bite you.

*Feel free to insert misspeak or whatever description you prefer.

Guys and gals, please chill. Yes, what the OP did was stupid, but if that's the worst thing she ever does for the rest of her life, well, she'll be a better person than plenty of the rest of us.

Agreed.

In all seriousness, sorry OP, shouldn't have been so crass.

I will officially dismount (or fall off) my high-horse and stable it for the next few weeks.

Okie dokie. :thumbup:

Although, I don't consider myself of the "woe is me" crowd, if I implied such, it was unintentional. I certainly wished to share, get feedback on how big of a deal this was and, sure, to feel better about my lie. I rarely lie, and it turned out to be the worst possible time to spin a tale. Sorry it got you so worked up.

Next time you see her just tell her you misunderstood what she meant. If anything, she'll understand you were a bit embarassed and won't say anything bad.

Then when you come with your uber grades and mcat score, do you honestly believe she'll judge you wrongly?

:thumbup:

Okie dokie. :thumbup:

Although, I don't consider myself of the "woe is me" crowd, if I implied such, it was unintentional. I certainly wished to share, get feedback on how big of a deal this was and, sure, to feel better about my lie. I rarely lie, and it turned out to be the worst possible time to spin a tale. Sorry it got you so worked up.

Seriously, I doubt she will remember it, and if she does...what Q said. I first thought you were talking about matriculated into MS.

Really, it's no big deal. You are a mom...much bigger concerns on your plate. :)

Oh and docs are just people like everyone else. :)

Seriously, I doubt she will remember it, and if she does...what Q said. I first thought you were talking about matriculated into MS.

Really, it's no big deal. You are a mom...much bigger concerns on your plate. :)

Oh and docs are just people like everyone else. :)

Thanks! :)

Of the thousands of things in life to worry about, this is not one of them. I'd rank this about the same as worrying that the Soviet Union will reform and threaten American hegemony in Europe. Life is too short to worry about this sort of thing. If she even bothers remembering what you said, just say you were confused or something and apologize. No big deal :)

Anyways, thanks for the comments. Just wanted a place to disuss. :)

This is about undergrad? FFS, quit worrying. If she even remembers what you told her, at your next visit redirect the conversation to how you ought to structure your undergrad to get a better chance at med school admission. Either she'll have advice, or she won't want to talk about it and will drop the school subject.

It's not like 3-4 years from now, when you're applying to the med school, a light bubble will pop up while she's reviewing your application and she'll go "goodness me, I swear this applicant told me she started in spring, not in fall!"

Merriam-Webster defines "Lie" as:

1. To make an untrue statement with the intention to deceive

2. To create a false or misleading impression

So while misspeak may be used "rather accurately," the term lie may be used "exactly accurately."

I apologize, I am probably being a bit to gruff. You apparently wanted people to help you rationalize this and make you feel better about your LIE*. Since I am distressing you, I will back off. I simply have a low tolerance for the "woe is me" crowd, especially when 100% of your situation is your own doing.

You probably will never see this person again. So don't worry, your LIE* will likely never come back to bite you.

*Feel free to insert misspeak or whatever description you prefer.

u r hilarious. where most people think that her act was merely an embarassing funny moment, you consider it an intentional willful act.

plus, stick to ur guns. dont backtrack on your comments.

Hey OP, ignore the arrogant kids who've misled themselves into thinking they have full control of their actions simply because their problems with executive functioning aren't currently on display. ((deleted at your request, be nice next time))

I've done the same thing. I lose myself in social situations pretty easily when I get nervous and I'll end up agreeing with something I don't agree with or saying something that's not true in order to keep the conversation going in the direction that it originally was. Anxiety or something. If it's obvious and is with something that matters, I own up. Just a simple "Last time we talked I have no idea why I said... Anyway I actually.. SUBJECT CHANGE"

Just to reinforce what the people have already said, in this particular case, it really, really, really doesn't matter and there's no reason to own up. If she calls you on it (which she wont) just explain you meant you were coming there and thought she meant accepted not actually started.

Last edited:
Oh my. To be young and full of myself, that I would never make a social mistake. Rule number one- don't take advice from those too young to realize they too could be faulty.

OP, everyone has made a mortifying mistake without being entirely sure why they did it. I remember when I was mistakenly introduced as a med student when I was shadowing, and I totally ran with it, complete with using a stethoscope wrong. Why? Because that's what I wanted to be, and my brain just ran with it. To this day I feel my face turn red when I think about it.

If it were me, on the next visit, if the doctor seems to remember your conversation, just ask her for advice on undergrad. If she says something about you matriculating to the med school, just say, "Oh no, I started at the university." Then quickly ask, "But do you have advice on getting into med school here? I would love to hear your advice!"

Thank you! Glad to see I'm not the only boob in the world. :laugh:

Wow I thought I was reading Pre-allo for a sec. I had to go back and check the forum to make sure... Harsh peps harsh.

Op. smile nod move on.