• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Oh hey, a personal statement thread/question

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
  1. Attending Physician
    So I have a rough draft of my PS, and I feel like all it is is me highlighting a few achievements I think are notable, trying to puff up my chest without sounding pretentious, and then tossing in a line about "what I learned/gained" or "how I grew" from the experience.

It just all seems very contrived. I start out with a moderately interesting anecdote that's unrelated to medicine, tie it loosely in with the whole idea of being a hard working team player, and then proceed as outlined above. It seems like a cookie cutter recipe and honestly when I read my PS I'm unimpressed.

Anyone else feel this way?

arielred

5+ Year Member
    Oct 29, 2010
    1. Medical Student
      So I have a rough draft of my PS, and I feel like all it is is me highlighting a few achievements I think are notable, trying to puff up my chest without sounding pretentious, and then tossing in a line about "what I learned/gained" or "how I grew" from the experience.

It just all seems very contrived. I start out with a moderately interesting anecdote that's unrelated to medicine, tie it loosely in with the whole idea of being a hard working team player, and then proceed as outlined above. It seems like a cookie cutter recipe and honestly when I read my PS I'm unimpressed.

Anyone else feel this way?

Chances are if you're feeling unimpressed so will the pd reading it. I felt the same about my first draft, left it for a few weeks then inspiration struck one random night and I revised 80% of the draft. Maybe leave it for a while and see if a better idea strikes you.

username456789

10+ Year Member
      May 24, 2009
      1. Attending Physician
        Yeah . . . I think one of my biggest problems is feeling uncomfortable using phrases to describe things I've done such as "achievements" and "successes." I realize it behooves you to help "sell yourself"as a solid (if not outstanding) candidate for residency, but I've just always had trouble trumpeting my "successes" or whatever. I've always been someone to let my actions do the talking (my numerous posts on this forum notwithstanding).

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.