oh transcripts, where art thou?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RapplixGmed

Looking for the Ether
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I requested my transcripts be sent on May 15th and my school's records and registration office swears it was mailed out on the 20th at the very latest... it is June 4th and AMCAS still lists them as not received. I asked them to mail another copy today just in case. Anybody else having problems with rediculously long waits for transcripts?

The irony is that my school is an hour and a half from DC so I would have very willingly picked up my transcript in a sealed envelope and driven it to the AAMC myself.

Members don't see this ad.

So I requested my transcripts be sent on May 15th and my school's records and registration office swears it was mailed out on the 20th at the very latest... it is June 4th and AMCAS still lists them as not received. I asked them to mail another copy today just in case. Anybody else having problems with rediculously long waits for transcripts?

The irony is that my school is an hour and a half from DC so I would have very willingly picked up my transcript in a sealed envelope and driven it to the AAMC myself.

i feel your pain. my school says my transcript was mailed on may 22nd....still AMCAS/AACOMAS still not received.

REquested them on the 15th and sent out the 20th...they just received them today...so I would give it till the end of the week rapplix

Members don't see this ad :)
You could always call AMCAS. That seemed to work out well for me.
Dotn bother..I was on the phone for an hour...and all they said was to give it until the end of the week, and then call back.

My transcripts were sent on May 15th and it took about two weeks to be received by AMCAS. Plus, AMCAS is still working on entering transcripts received in May. I wouldnt worry. DC must be some sort of black hole for mail though. Even when I send things to Interfolio (which Im pretty sure is also in DC) it takes forever.

Mine (2 different schools) were supposedly mailed in around the 20th and they haven't shown up yet either. I was just about to request more copies; but I think I'll wait until the end of the week.

My God... I know people love to bash the TMDSAS for having an ancient, slightly cumbersome website, but they've got fantastically helpful staff, and everything I've sent them has been listed as received within a few business days.

I feel for you guys. :(

Hi, This is my first post, and i'm not sure whether or not my question should be posted in this topic. but... I took the MCAT recently, and I don't know my score yet. But, I'm working on my application right now, and I'm having a question regarding sending transcript: should I send my transcript to the AMCAS right now even though I won't be submit the application until a month later? What will happen to my transcript (con and pro)? thank you

Hi, This is my first post, and i'm not sure whether or not my question should be posted in this topic. but... I took the MCAT recently, and I don't know my score yet. But, I'm working on my application right now, and I'm having a question regarding sending transcript: should I send my transcript to the AMCAS right now even though I won't be submit the application until a month later? What will happen to my transcript (con and pro)? thank you

Yes!

Your transcript will sit around until you submit, but as soon as you do submit, it will be ready for them.

Yes, send it as soon as possible. It could take your registrar up to a week to process your request. Then it has to be mailed to AMCAS, which will take several days depending on your location in the country. Once AMCAS gets it, it can take a few weeks before it's "received" into your application. Without you transcript, your application cannot be verified, and your application will go out later. If they get it early, it will still be associated with your AMCAS account and they will hold it until you submit your application.

thank you very much for the help guys. appreciate it.

if your transcripts arrive before your primary is submitted will AMCAS just hold onto them? They won't automatically enter in the course title and grade?

Members don't see this ad :)
if your transcripts arrive before your primary is submitted will AMCAS just hold onto them? They won't automatically enter in the course title and grade?

Yes, they will just hold them. No, they won't enter your coursework for you. It would be nice, but they are much too busy to do that. They're still processing transcripts that were received a week ago - and that's just receiving them into the system and associating them with your application. It took me over an hour to fill in my coursework, and if AMCAS had to do this for all 30,000 applicants, they'd have to work 24/7.

How many transcripts do we need to send to amcas? someone told me that you must send one for each school you are applying to, but someone else said that you only need one. Thanks

How many transcripts do we need to send to amcas? someone told me that you must send one for each school you are applying to, but someone else said that you only need one. Thanks

You only need to send one copy of your transcript to AMCAS. You must send a copy for every post-secondary institution that you have attended.

Hm, so I think I read somewhere that if my transcript is received and verified, and my status is (finally) changed to "received" on AMCAS, they will also send me an email to update me on that? Same goes with receiving my LoR/Interfolio?

(i.e. I should stop logging in way too often to AMCAS on top of checking my email? :p)

Hm, so I think I read somewhere that if my transcript is received and verified, and my status is (finally) changed to "received" on AMCAS, they will also send me an email to update me on that? Same goes with receiving my LoR/Interfolio?

(i.e. I should stop logging in way too often to AMCAS on top of checking my email? :p)

I know for sure that when your transcripts are received AMCAS will send you an update email stating it has come in. I'm not sure about LORs but I would think the same would apply.

Knowing that still hasn't stopped me from logging into AMCAS ~10 times a day. :laugh:

Does anyone know why these messages appear on the AMCAS sign-in page almost daily?
AMCAS said:

AMCAS Representatives will be unavailable from 2:00 PM until 5:00 PM ET on Thursday, June 5th, 2008.
Last Updated June 5, 2008 at 8:19AM
Could it be that they will have all of their people working on entering transcripts into the system at that time? I'm hoping so...

Last edited:
Does anyone know why these messages appear on the AMCAS sign-in page almost daily?

Could it be that they will have all of their people working on entering transcripts into the system at that time? I'm hoping so...

More than likely it means happy hour for the staff at the local pub....meanwhile pre-meds are like this :scared:

More than likely it means happy hour for the staff at the local pub....meanwhile pre-meds are like this :scared:

Well, there must have been one guy who doesn't like to party left at the office, because I received an email receipt of my transcript at 4:16 pm.

nerd.jpg

Yes, that's the guy...

Thanks, AMCAS!

Well, there must have been one guy who doesn't like to party left at the office, because I received an email receipt of my transcript at 4:16 pm.

Congrats! Somehow I gathered that you go to VCU. I think UVA sent out mine on the same day that you had yours sent... mine's still not in :mad: oh well... I think I'm agitated b/c I'm having a hard time being patient with my MCAT score! :scared:

Congrats! Somehow I gathered that you go to VCU. I think UVA sent out mine on the same day that you had yours sent... mine's still not in :mad: oh well... I think I'm agitated b/c I'm having a hard time being patient with my MCAT score! :scared:
I think it would probably take one extra day from Charlottesville - so hopefully they'll be in tomorrow! Mine wasn't put in until after 4:00 pm so yours will likely be up tomorrow or Monday.

I think it would probably take one extra day from Charlottesville - so hopefully they'll be in tomorrow! Mine wasn't put in until after 4:00 pm so yours will likely be up tomorrow or Monday.

They're entering transcripts up through 6/2. Mine was supposed to be in mail 5/28 (VA).... so where is mine? :(

Mine have been received :D They were in the mail the 23rd or the 27th and made it to DC on june 2 (from cali). Received by amcas today :thumbup:

Wow thats quite crazy. I'm still waiting o_O. I called the AAMC and they had no idea. I called my transcript office to make sure the address was right and it was... i guess that it just disappeared somewhere never to be seen again. A month is a bit too long for mail between richmond and DC.

Mine were mailed out on the 19th and AMCAS received them in June... so they're probably there

Mine were mailed out on the 19th and AMCAS received them in June... so they're probably there

I'm starting to believe that AMCAS doesn't exactly have an organized method of processing transcripts as they arrive...meaning its not first to arrive gets processed first. Some stacks of mail may have arrived first but for whatever reason get processed after some later arriving mail leading students to believe transcripts have been lost.

For example, I had a transcript from 2 different colleges in the same city that went out on the same day. Since they went out on the same day, they probably arrived at AMCAS on the same day. 1 transcript was processed yesterday. The other is still "not received." It's probably sitting there in a stack somewhere.

took mine a while. but got there in about 2.5 weeks. or showed up at least

Last year, AMCAS was very efficient with updating when they received transcripts. The best thing to do is call your school first, make sure they have sent it out, wait a week and then call AMCAS.

You would think mail from Tech would arrive within the same timeframe... Mailed the 19th, but not sign of it yet. :/

My transcripts which apparently arrived at AMCAS on 5/22/08 did not show up as received until this morning (6/12/08).

FINALLY!

They received it today with the email sent at 12:55pm.

I requested the transcript at 9:15am on May 15th.

It took 29 days, 3 hours, and 40 minutes to go the 107 miles from Richmond to DC... thats uh... 0.15 mph. Wow did the USPS strap the letter to the back of a tortoise or something?

Anyways, I'm just very happy that it arrived finally and I can now faithfully wait for verification, which I hope does not take a month. Thank you AAMC for sending me electronically generated emails that tell me about your support for my application; it really brings me up after a couple of failed experiments in the lab. :laugh:

FINALLY!

It took 29 days, 3 hours, and 40 minutes to go the 107 miles from Richmond to DC... thats uh... 0.15 mph. Wow did the USPS strap the letter to the back of a tortoise or something?

Anyways, I'm just very happy that it arrived finally and I can now faithfully wait for verification, which I hope does not take a month. Thank you AAMC for sending me electronically generated emails that tell me about your support for my application; it really brings me up after a couple of failed experiments in the lab. :laugh:

That's so weird that it took so long for your transcript to get there. Did you ask the registrar to hold it until the degree was posted? I requested mine from them on 5/22 at around 3:00 pm, and they weren't sent until 5/28 (after my degree was posted), but they were marked as received in AMCAS on 6/5.

FINALLY!

Damn and I thought mine took forever....You should win aprize.

Wow, so maybe by next year they'll get my transcript from Florida, sent 6/9???? :-/

Wow, so maybe by next year they'll get my transcript from Florida, sent 6/9???? :-/

hmmm...my second one was sent the 30th or 2nd and it got there the 5th and they marked it complete the 11th...so I think rapplixs situation is an oddity.

Who knows... maybe mine is in one of the endless stacks of transcripts and papers in the AAMC offices in DC - like a needle in a haystack. It's been 3 weeks from Cali.