Ohio (and close by) Psych Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohpsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to family ties and other geographical restrictions I have been debating the Cleveland Clinic, Case/UH, Ohio State, and Cincinnati. Is there that big of a difference in these programs? I have broad interests so I am not solely focused on doing child psych or anything like that. I like addiction, neuropsych, and geri psych.

Is there a significant difference in academics or quality of training from them at all? For example, I loved OSU and I felt the residents were awesome but I didn't get much of an academic vibe from it as opposed to Cinci which was the opposite. I also don't like OSU's low salary (something I did not expect to care about) but they have great moonlighting opportunities and a lighter workload, from my understanding. I really wanted to love CC or UH but that unfortunately didn't happen. I am curious to hear from any applicants, residents, or attendings that could provide any advice.

I am also highly considering UPMC which is also pretty close to family but to me this program is my probably my clear top choice. I also liked Indiana, U of Chicago, and Louisville but these are starting to get a bit far out of the way but Indiana was very impressive to me and may get bumped up.

TLDR; Cleveland Clinic, Case/UH, Ohio State, or Cincinnati? I am really not focused on anything in particular and just want strong programs with a balanced workload.

Members don't see this ad.

Due to family ties and other geographical restrictions I have been debating the Cleveland Clinic, Case/UH, Ohio State, and Cincinnati. Is there that big of a difference in these programs? I have broad interests so I am not solely focused on doing child psych or anything like that. I like addiction, neuropsych, and geri psych.

Is there a significant difference in academics or quality of training from them at all? For example, I loved OSU and I felt the residents were awesome but I didn't get much of an academic vibe from it as opposed to Cinci which was the opposite. I also don't like OSU's low salary (something I did not expect to care about) but they have great moonlighting opportunities and a lighter workload, from my understanding. I really wanted to love CC or UH but that unfortunately didn't happen. I am curious to hear from any applicants, residents, or attendings that could provide any advice.

I am also highly considering UPMC which is also pretty close to family but to me this program is my probably my clear top choice. I also liked Indiana, U of Chicago, and Louisville but these are starting to get a bit far out of the way but Indiana was very impressive to me and may get bumped up.

TLDR; Cleveland Clinic, Case/UH, Ohio State, or Cincinnati? I am really not focused on anything in particular and just want strong programs with a balanced workload.

May I ask what specifically you didn’t like about case and cc? I really enjoyed my interview day at case...great PD, friendly residents, good pt workload, and opportunities for scholarly/global projects

Reactions: 1 user
May I ask what specifically you didn’t like about case and cc? I really enjoyed my interview day at case...great PD, friendly residents, good pt workload, and opportunities for scholarly/global projects

I did like it as well as the Cleveland Clinic but I didn't like them as much as the others. As someone from the area I was just hoping to like them more. It really is kind of a gut instinct and fit thing with me more than anything else. They both have everything I could ask for and I really do like all these programs, but I am at the point where I don't see a big difference and feel like I am missing something. Hopefully that makes sense. However, I do feel like all of them should make me a competent psychiatrist so I am not too worried about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gut factor.

Don't think too hard about it.

Gun to your head and you need to answer now on the spot. Which is it?

May point you in the right direction may not but give it a go and see where your thoughts lead you.

Where you will be happiest the next four years is likely where you should be.

If you know yourself you have your answer.

Ok, so your heart is dead set on a geographical location, you apply, interview, rank..... and you don't match. What now hotshot?

Ok, so your heart is dead set on a geographical location, you apply, interview, rank..... and you don't match. What now hotshot?

Not a hotshot, but I would be happy anywhere I interviewed. Just an order of preference.

What is your plan if you don't match?

Probably the same as anyone else. Scrambling and if that doesn't work out for whatever reason apply again. I am ranking 14 programs so while anything can happen I'm not concerned about that too much.

Reactions: 2 users
what were your stats to be able to get interviews at all Ohio programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gut factor.

Don't think too hard about it.

Gun to your head and you need to answer now on the spot. Which is it?

May point you in the right direction may not but give it a go and see where your thoughts lead you.

Where you will be happiest the next four years is likely where you should be.

If you know yourself you have your answer.

Yeah this is kind of how I was thinking. I appreciate it.

U of Cincinnati's psych program is strong, but so too are many of the other programs mentioned. I've written quite a bit about Cincinnati. Just look it up on a search.

U of Cincinnati's psych program is strong, but so too are many of the other programs mentioned. I've written quite a bit about Cincinnati. Just look it up on a search.

Definitely. I actually had you in mind, as a prominent lurker, as I have seen your mentions of the program and your experience of it. I genuinely appreciate your other posts about it. I liked it a lot and for whatever reason I didn't get to meet many residents which is probably not giving me the best idea but I was very impressed by the program as a whole.

This is a tough choice lol.

Definitely. I actually had you in mind, as a prominent lurker, as I have seen your mentions of the program and your experience of it. I genuinely appreciate your other posts about it. I liked it a lot and for whatever reason I didn't get to meet many residents which is probably not giving me the best idea but I was very impressed by the program as a whole.

This is a tough choice lol.

What were your stats given that you got interviews at all Ohio programs?

I didn't get an interview at Case but for the other three: I was surprised to find that I liked Cleveland Clinic the best although ended up ranking OSU higher due to location. I felt that the residents and faculty I met at the CC were more passionate about psychiatry and perhaps came across as rather intense because of that passion. At first it turned me off but as I pondered on it later on in the cycle, I realized it was very important to be surrounded by people who loved psychiatry and in a program that was valued by the institution it served. Anyway, OSU disappointed me in this way and felt very lackluster and boring. Cincinnati felt this way also and I didn't get the best vibe from the residents.

Here's what I can tell you about other programs in Ohio.

Wright State: Has some solid faculty. I know some of the personally and the ones I know are good. It's also a great place if you want to go into Aerospace Psychiatry cause Wright Air Force Base is right there and it is a hub for Aerospace Psych. This little known area of psych can fetch you over $600/hr in pilot evaluations.

I'm actually thinking of going into that field? Why? Cause then I can put a cockpit simulator in my basement, hook up X-Wing (the old simulator game) onto the simulator and be able to report it as a business expense all using top end monitors, computers, and a cockpit simulator level controller. (On top of that being able to do lucrative evaluations).
Gaming Computer Desk | Racing & Flight Simulator Cockpit

Ohio State-don't know much, but I do know they have a good rep.

Case Western: great rep, Phil Resnick has his forensic psych fellowship at that location.

I didn't get an interview at Case but for the other three: I was surprised to find that I liked Cleveland Clinic the best although ended up ranking OSU higher due to location. I felt that the residents and faculty I met at the CC were more passionate about psychiatry and perhaps came across as rather intense because of that passion. At first it turned me off but as I pondered on it later on in the cycle, I realized it was very important to be surrounded by people who loved psychiatry and in a program that was valued by the institution it served. Anyway, OSU disappointed me in this way and felt very lackluster and boring. Cincinnati felt this way also and I didn't get the best vibe from the residents.

It sounds like you had a very similar experience to me. I probably liked Cinci the most purely as a program, but I prefer the Cleveland programs and OSU due to other factors like location and how I meshed with the residents. I felt the Cleveland Clinic was okay but part of me wonders if my view has been affected since I interviewed there earlier compared to the others and probably still had more anxiety and inexperience with interviews then. It was kind of a blur to me. Case was just a good overall experience and I like UH a lot.

I would probably rank OSU first, then Case, CC, and Cinci but location is a big factor. OSU felt the same way to me as it seemed like a fun and relaxed atmosphere but it didn't really excite me about psychiatry like the others. It sounds like the faculty are great though in terms of teaching and research so you can make it as much of a great academic experience as you want.

Here's what I can tell you about other programs in Ohio.

Wright State: Has some solid faculty. I know some of the personally and the ones I know are good. It's also a great place if you want to go into Aerospace Psychiatry cause Wright Air Force Base is right there and it is a hub for Aerospace Psych. This little known area of psych can fetch you over $600/hr in pilot evaluations.

I'm actually thinking of going into that field? Why? Cause then I can put a cockpit simulator in my basement, hook up X-Wing (the old simulator game) onto the simulator and be able to report it as a business expense all using top end monitors, computers, and a cockpit simulator level controller. (On top of that being able to do lucrative evaluations).
Gaming Computer Desk | Racing & Flight Simulator Cockpit

Ohio State-don't know much, but I do know they have a good rep.

Case Western: great rep, Phil Resnick has his forensic psych fellowship at that location.
Resnick is retiring, I asked PD.

Yeah. This is a huge shame.

Yeah, this threw me off a little but I am still ranking the program relatively high. I liked it overall and have pretty broad interests, although forensic psych is definitely up there.