1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ohio State Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by 2THFAIRY, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 2THFAIRY

2THFAIRY Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For those of you that have visited Ohio State, or know more about their program, what are their preclinical labs really like? Do they use simulators? Do you have any interactions with patients in the first year?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.Brutus

Dr.Brutus Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm a third year at OSU. As I've looked around on these forums in the past, I've seen very little about Ohio State, so I thought I'd join in and give you some info.

As for the pre-clinical labs, what you've heard is probably pretty close to the truth. They are very old. Clearly, preclinical facilities were not a determining factor in my choosing a school, but they would rank even lower on my list now. I'm of the opinion that whether it's a simulator or a rubber head on a post, you still suck at most preps until you do them over and over again (that being said, the "objectiveness" of a computer would be nice). The dean just told us that a decision has been made to build a new school, but it won't be a reality for a long time...5-10 years was his estimate. They have a campaign going to raise money to update the lab and have decided to continue with it. What that means, I don't know.

As far as patient interaction, you do cleanings on friends/family at the end of the first year. At the beginning of second year, you see recall patients. In the spring of second year, assuming you pass your operative competency in the winter, you begin seeing patients with simple operative needs 1 afternoon a week.

There's my first post! Hope that helps.

4. 2THFAIRY

2THFAIRY Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks so much for the post. I have an interview at OSU on January 7th, and I am looking foward to visiting the school. I found it hard to get a basic grasp of what the school is all about from the website, so this helped. Thanks!

5. Dr.Brutus

Dr.Brutus Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good luck with your interview! Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. joebucks

joebucks Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

See you in the fall Dr. Brutus! Go Bucks!