Ohio State Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2THFAIRY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have visited Ohio State, or know more about their program, what are their preclinical labs really like? Do they use simulators? Do you have any interactions with patients in the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

2THFAIRY said:
For those of you that have visited Ohio State, or know more about their program, what are their preclinical labs really like? Do they use simulators? Do you have any interactions with patients in the first year?

I'm a third year at OSU. As I've looked around on these forums in the past, I've seen very little about Ohio State, so I thought I'd join in and give you some info.

As for the pre-clinical labs, what you've heard is probably pretty close to the truth. They are very old. Clearly, preclinical facilities were not a determining factor in my choosing a school, but they would rank even lower on my list now. I'm of the opinion that whether it's a simulator or a rubber head on a post, you still suck at most preps until you do them over and over again (that being said, the "objectiveness" of a computer would be nice). The dean just told us that a decision has been made to build a new school, but it won't be a reality for a long time...5-10 years was his estimate. They have a campaign going to raise money to update the lab and have decided to continue with it. What that means, I don't know.

As far as patient interaction, you do cleanings on friends/family at the end of the first year. At the beginning of second year, you see recall patients. In the spring of second year, assuming you pass your operative competency in the winter, you begin seeing patients with simple operative needs 1 afternoon a week.

There's my first post! Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the post. I have an interview at OSU on January 7th, and I am looking foward to visiting the school. I found it hard to get a basic grasp of what the school is all about from the website, so this helped. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
2THFAIRY said:
Thanks so much for the post. I have an interview at OSU on January 7th, and I am looking foward to visiting the school. I found it hard to get a basic grasp of what the school is all about from the website, so this helped. Thanks!
Good luck with your interview! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr.Brutus said:
Good luck with your interview! Let me know if you have any other questions.

See you in the fall Dr. Brutus! Go Bucks!