Ohio State vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papichulo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I wanted to know some of your opinions regarding Ohio State. I was accepted there, among other schools, and after much deliberation, I decided to attend there. However, about two weeks ago, I was accepted to UCSF as well. Then, a few days later, I heard two students say they didn't speak too highly of their school, Ohio State. I never could get any specifics though. Now I am trying to decide between the two. Any Ohio State students out there want to share any info they wish they knew when deciding? I think UCSF is a better school, but Ohio State comes out a hell of a lot less expensive. Plus I would like to buy a house, hence Columbus would be advantageous there. However, I definately do NOT want to give up a better education and diminish my chances of possibly specializing. I guess it comes down to $75,000 vs ISO time huh?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I wanted to know some of your opinions regarding Ohio State. I was accepted there, among other schools, and after much deliberation, I decided to attend there. However, about two weeks ago, I was accepted to UCSF as well. Then, a few days later, I heard two students say they didn't speak too highly of their school, Ohio State. I never could get any specifics though. Now I am trying to decide between the two. Any Ohio State students out there want to share any info they wish they knew when deciding? I think UCSF is a better school, but Ohio State comes out a hell of a lot less expensive. Plus I would like to buy a house, hence Columbus would be advantageous there. However, I definately do NOT want to give up a better education and diminish my chances of possibly specializing. I guess it comes down to $75,000 vs ISO time huh?

UCSF. period. comma. colon?

Members don't see this ad :)
lets pretend that i dont goto University of Michigan for dental school...

i would def. choose UCSF...great name, second in research to (University of Michigan), great city, great weather...

i am out of state going to the University of Michigan...i personally believe that being happier for four years of your life and going to a great school is better than going to A dental school, not being as happy, and saving some dough...

in this post i am not putting down OSU, but i didnt/wouldnt choose a school just to save money

Hey guys,

I'm in my last year at OSU right now. Overall, I am very happy with my decision to come here. That doesn't mean there aren't about a thousand things I would change if I could. I really felt that the education the first two years was as good as anywhere. When clinic started, it was VERY frustrating. It seemed to feel like I ran around everyday and got nothing accomplished. The system is very inefficient. But in talking to other people at other schools, it is that way almost everywhere. Now that I'm about done, I feel very comfortable in the bread and butter of dentistry...but I'm honest enough to know that there is a whole lot more to learn. That will be the case, I think, not matter where you go to school. My most specific complaint, endo. You've got to really go after it to save a lot of cases from going to residents.

As for specializing, I firmly believe that you will have every opportunity coming out of Ohio State that you will at UCSF. All things being equal, I have a hard time buying that the same person who didn't get into a specialty, would have had he/she gone to another school. It will be up to you. Work hard anywhere and you'll have your opportunities.

If it were me, I would save the money.

About 10 people from every OSU class specialize.

I don't know anything about UCSF.

By the way, I see you have your heart set on specializing. There will be 103 others in your class if you come to OSU, and each one of them will also plan on specializing. Get ready to compete.

Any reason to your claim, or do you say that because OSU is your rival?

It's true, OSU is my rival. And a very worthy one at that. Especially since they beat us this year... but with that said I think they have an excellent program. I was accepted there and was very impressed...and I think you said you're from Utah. There are a lot of Utahns out in Columbus. Also it would be possible to actually purchase a home in Columbus and not SF (unless you have an extra $700,000).

Here is why I would have taken UCSF over OSU had they accepted me:

1.) I'm a California resident
2.) Climate in SF is always preferable to that in Ohio.
3.) UCSF has better name recognition in the west. And the east. and the midwest. Not just the midwest like OSU.
4.) I liked the idea of going to a strictly professional/graduate school. UCSF doesn't have any undergrads.
5.) UCSF is more diverse ethnically, which means more interesting in some ways.
6.) I wanted to live in a metropolitan city, not a college town. (although that is exactly where I ended up--Ann Arbor)
7.) More beautiful scenery: ocean, parks galore, City feel, rock shows at the filmore, warfield, Independent, etc
8.) High match rate for specialization and higher board scores on NBDE 1. I think their board scores are top 5 and their specialization rate is higher than OSU, but you'll have to check me.

Here's something I found on a search about UCSF and its match rate.
on 2.2.2006 Lin709 said:

Lin709 said:
True, many others have high board scores in the class. But a high score doesn't mean you HAVE to specialize... there simply wasn't a desire for many to go into perio and endo this year (or other specialties), eventhough many of my classmates could have if they wanted to. Our match rates were really good this year:

OMFS: 5/5 (the 6th person was from the class of 2005)
Perio: 1/1
Endo: 1/1
Ortho: 5/6
Pedo: 13/16 (not 100% sure on this figure...)
GPR/AEGD: Too many to count. But I believe everyone who applied to one matched somewhere, MOST at their #1 choice

All in all, I think the class did very well :)

only real downside to UCSF is that I don't think they are especially "family friendly". I can't remember if you had a family or not.

Tough choice, good luck.

Nice post Gulch, I can't disagree with any of that.

You all list very interesting points- however, lets get down to the real issues... ...Nobody listed the fact that at OSU you may get the chance to be humbled by the Florida Gators in a national championship game... Now thats something to brag about :laugh: :idea: :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh: :eek:

True, as an Urban Meyer fan I was thrilled. As a potential OSU student, I was crushed.

It's true, OSU is my rival. And a very worthy one at that. Especially since they beat us this year... but with that said I think they have an excellent program. I was accepted there and was very impressed...and I think you said you're from Utah. There are a lot of Utahns out in Columbus. Also it would be possible to actually purchase a home in Columbus and not SF (unless you have an extra $700,000).

Here is why I would have taken UCSF over OSU had they accepted me:

1.) I'm a California resident
2.) Climate in SF is always preferable to that in Ohio.
3.) UCSF has better name recognition in the west. And the east. and the midwest. Not just the midwest like OSU.
4.) I liked the idea of going to a strictly professional/graduate school. UCSF doesn't have any undergrads.
5.) UCSF is more diverse ethnically, which means more interesting in some ways.
6.) I wanted to live in a metropolitan city, not a college town. (although that is exactly where I ended up--Ann Arbor)
7.) More beautiful scenery: ocean, parks galore, City feel, rock shows at the filmore, warfield, Independent, etc
8.) High match rate for specialization and higher board scores on NBDE 1. I think their board scores are top 5 and their specialization rate is higher than OSU, but you'll have to check me.

Here's something I found on a search about UCSF and its match rate.
on 2.2.2006 Lin709 said:

only real downside to UCSF is that I don't think they are especially "family friendly". I can't remember if you had a family or not.

Tough choice, good luck.
Gulch, thanks for all of your advice. I appreciate it, your points are valid. If I end up at UCSF I will cheer for Michigan on your behalf (If I go to OSU I guess I hate you, however).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick OSU over UCSF. My main and most important reason is because OSU only has three letters but UCSF has four. That means UCSF will be harder. So hands down go to the school with the least amount of letters, OSU.

I would pick OSU over UCSF. My main and most important reason is because OSU only has three letters but UCSF has four. That means UCSF will be harder. So hands down go to the school with the least amount of letters, OSU.

Then UMDNJ & ASDOH must be harder than hell.

I am fine with being hated- I am sure you will appreciate this...ready to hate me more... are you sure?... I did my first two years of undergrad aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat The University of Michigan!!!!!! MGOBLUE!!! Yeah baby, there is no doubt in my mind that there is no way I could work with you, it would be like telling a dean to work with the grounds crew for a day- yes I am calling OSU a ground crew... it just wouldnt happen...how do you like me now?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
P.S. Of course I am just busting your balls I just thought it was funny that both my schools are now arch rivals with OSU!!

Dude, I hope you realize I was just joking around- Just pickin a good old rivalry discussion :)

Dude, I hope you realize I was just joking around- Just pickin a good old rivalry discussion :)

No, No, I know. I'm just still reeling from January 8. I'm not ready to confront it yet.

i got rejected a week after i sent in my OSU supplemental application. they are haters! it's like they had a macro all written out so when my check arrivals, it will automatically send me a reject email notification.

Here are UCSF's most recent specialization stats:

http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/about/Mag2007.pdf (page 4)

Not nearly as impressive as everyone makes it out to be. Some of the UCSF students I met at the ADA conference last week were trying to tell me they have a 50% specialization rate, not including AEGD/GPR. :laugh:

Despite that, I think UCSF is an excellent school and academically, you would not be making a bad choice to go there. However, it's going to cost you SO much more, not just in tuition but living cost to attend school there. Only you can decide if that extra money is going to be worth it to you in the long run. You'll still be a dentist either way and people outside of the predent world don't really care about what school you went to.

If I was you, I would just go to OSU even though the dean is an unfriendly guy.

edit: crap, i didn't realize this thread was older than dirt.

Here are UCSF's most recent specialization stats:

http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/about/Mag2007.pdf (page 4)

Not nearly as impressive as everyone makes it out to be. Some of the UCSF students I met at the ADA conference last week were trying to tell me they have a 50% specialization rate, not including AEGD/GPR. :laugh:

Despite that, I think UCSF is an excellent school and academically, you would not be making a bad choice to go there. However, it's going to cost you SO much more, not just in tuition but living cost to attend school there. Only you can decide if that extra money is going to be worth it to you in the long run. You'll still be a dentist either way and people outside of the predent world don't really care about what school you went to.

If I was you, I would just go to OSU even though the dean is an unfriendly guy.

edit: crap, i didn't realize this thread was older than dirt.

I just started, but so far I dig UCSF. One thing I should point out, however, is that the UC Regents recently voted to increase tuition by 7% in each of the next three years.