OHSU externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeforstars

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone externed in OMFS at OHSU Portland,
How is the program and the people?
Have been hearing that its big on cancer, how much water does that hold?

Members don't see this ad.

eyeforstars said:
Didn't extern there myself, but know some who did, and know an intern there. Definitely get good cancer experience, some trauma and cosmetics. Very busy program, so be prepared to work hard. You should love Emanuel Hospital. Dr. Dierks if friggin awesome. Good luck...

eyeforstars said:
Program has 2 halves... Emanuel side has cancer and other pathology, trauma, fair amount of cosmetics and orthognathics. OHSU side is more balanced but it is not as busy as Emanuel. Focus is trauma, orthognathics, cancer, cosmetics, etc. OHSU clinic allows a good amount of sedations (3rds, implants, etc) and other consultations, the dental school resident clinic see's a good amount of sedations (3rds, implants, DA) plus one of the faculty will staff cosmetics in both clinics. At times the Emanuel staff go to Providence Hospital to do cases and both hospitals are not against operating on the weekends. Residents do a fair amount of cutting in the OR as well... I have even logged a few cases my first month as surgeon under my attending. Externs usually stay 2 weeks and they divide the time between Emanuel and OHSU hospitals. You can take call if you want as an extern and the interns will let you suture up some lacs in the ED and write up all of our notes ;) We dont have point and pull clinic so most of your DA is self referred or dentist referred... but we typically see between 20-60 patients a day in the clinic. OR everyday at Emanuel and most of the weekend and at OHSU OR at least 4 days a week. Plus the weekend if something comes in. Trauma Face call at Emanuel is 24/7/365 and at OHSU is 10 days a month but all isolated mandibles 24/7/365. Faculty here is outstanding... Assael, Dierks, Myall, Ueeck, Bell, Potter and Potter. More pearls than you can process! All I can say is I love it. If interested you should check it out by doing an externship. Drop me a PM if you want to know more.