OHSU Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamiltong

MS-II
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an invite yet? I got a postcard saying something like "your file is complete. you will hear from us within 12 weeks." Doesn't that seem like a long time?

PS-I hate the waiting game

Members don't see this ad.

word on the street: OHSU tends to be a little slower in the process.

I got an invite in February last year.

I realize I'm going slightly off topic here, but how long did it take OHSU to send you a postcard? I sent in my application over a month ago, and still nothing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Saying OHSU is a little slow is a huge understatement. They are, I think, the slowest medical school in the country when it comes to admissions. It's inconsiderate, and they actually go against AAMC's recommendations because they don't fill their class until May, but I guess there's so much groupthink in their admissions office so they won't see that there's a problem.

Anyway, be prepared to wait. Last year, I believe I waited about 13 weeks from getting my postcard until getting an interview invitation. Then I waited about two months for my interview and a month and a half following that to get a final decision. It sucks to be an Oregonian in this process.

Saying OHSU is a little slow is a huge understatement. They are, I think, the slowest medical school in the country when it comes to admissions. It's inconsiderate, and they actually go against AAMC's recommendations because they don't fill their class until May, but I guess there's so much groupthink in their admissions office so they won't see that there's a problem.

Anyway, be prepared to wait. Last year, I believe I waited about 13 weeks from getting my postcard until getting an interview invitation. Then I waited about two months for my interview and a month and a half following that to get a final decision. It sucks to be an Oregonian in this process.

just be happy! i got rejected. apparently they dont like oos very much!

I've already recieved acceptances. I initially was hoping to stay in state but OHSU is making it frustratingly difficult if not impossible....*sigh*

It took OHSU over a month to even get me a secondary...

My AMCAS was verified about three weeks ago...my stats are competitive, 35MCAT and 3.8 gpa and I have not heard a word...I am an Oregon resident...I am hoping to get a secondary from my state school, so I will just kick back and wait...take a deep breath and just wait. I just want a secondary from OHSU!

Searun

FWIW...they sent me the secondary invite three weeks after I was verified, and I got the complete card three weeks after they had my secondary and letters.

OHSU admissions is on the slow and steady track. Hang in there! OHSU screens your application before inviting you to submit a secondary. They will get to you eventually. Last year, interviews started in mid-October and ran through the middle of April. It doesn't matter when you interview at OHSU, you will have the same shot as everyone else. The waiting is really painful but if you get in, it's worth it.

Here is some demographic information about our class. It was provided to us by the school so it should be reasonably accurate:

Class size: 119 (may be 120 now)
Female: 63
Male: 56
Mean Age: 26
Mean GPA: 3.63 (3.57 science)
Mean MCAT: 10.2 (VR) 10.0 (PS) 10.7 (BS) P
Oregon Residents: 84 (71%)
OOS: 35 (29%)
MD: 106
MD/MPH: 6
MD/PhD: 5
WICHE: 2
Reapplicants: 38

The waiting list went to #100 this year. Let me know if you have any questions about the school. I can tell you that so far it has exceeded my expectations. Good luck!

I've already recieved acceptances. I initially was hoping to stay in state but OHSU is making it frustratingly difficult if not impossible....*sigh*

Wow I am surprised by your post... its only september and you are already frustrated with this process. ... I cant wait to hear how you feel in may! :D

FWIW, I sent in my secondary/LORs in early august and still haven't gotten a postcard.....

Wow I am surprised by your post... its only september and you are already frustrated with this process. ... I cant wait to hear how you feel in may! :D

FWIW, I sent in my secondary/LORs in early august and still haven't gotten a postcard.....

I'm also doing the DO thing as well. I've already recieved 3 acceptances. I'm just curious to see what MD schools and the interview process is like.

So OHSU doesn't have rolling admission, I take it?

I'm also doing the DO thing as well. I've already recieved 3 acceptances. I'm just curious to see what MD schools and the interview process is like.

I believe they do have rolling admission, but it sounds like it isn't very robust in volume.

Members don't see this ad :)

The answer is they have rolling admissions...sort of...

If you ask them, they'll say: "no, we don't do rolling admissions." Here is how it works at OHSU. After your interview, you will be reviewed by the adcom and assigned an admission score. This score never changes after it is assigned. At the END of the interview season, they work down a the list of applicants ranked by admission score until the class is full, EXCEPT that if your admission score is high enough that they know they will offer you admission, they will offer you admission a few weeks after your interview.

If you don't make that initial hurdle, you go into the "hold" pool (unless you are rejected outright - rare). The hold pool is NOT the waitlist. When the interview season comes to a close in the middle of April, the adcom will review and rank the remaining applicants and rank order the applicant list by admission score. When this is complete, about the middle of May, the remaining seats in the class are filled from the highest ranked applicants in the hold pool. The remaining applicants are then put on the waiting list or if they are too far down the list rejected.

The advantage of this method is that it doesn't matter when you interview, you will have the same chance of being admitted to OHSU. To the degree that any ranking system is even handed, this is a very fair way to handle the process. The downside is that most applicants will not know their final disposition until May 15 or later. This sucks. I interviewed in the middle of October, was put in the hold pool, and didn't find out that I had been admitted until May 13 of the next year. That's 7 months. Meanwhile, spent a boat load of money interviewing at other schools when I ultimately didn't have to, but I didn't know that at the time.

This year we got to position 100 on the waiting list. I believe they interviewed about 450 applicants so if you have an interview at ohsu, statistically you have almost a 50% chance of being admitted eventually. (120 initial offers + 100 spots on the waitlist = 220 positions out of 450)

Good luck on your applications. OHSU is a great school. I am very happy with my choice.

wow, thanks for the rundown, robh. it sounds like a really annoying (because of the delay) yet completely fair way of picking people.

wow, thanks for the rundown, robh. it sounds like a really annoying (because of the delay) yet completely fair way of picking people.

My big gripe is that if they got their butts in gear and tried, they could be done with interviewing and admissions by April or March. UW has a very similar system in that people don't get admitted until after interview, but they're still more than a month ahead of OHSU. Oh, and they interview more people and have more applicants. OHSU has a pretty light applicant/interview load compared with other schools, so it doesn't make sense that they can't tie things up sooner. For example, the school I'm currently attending was done with interviewing and had made all their admissions decisions (except for who gets in off the waitlist) by Feb. 19. Waiting until May to fill your class is unacceptable, imo.

Again, though, OHSU doesn't seem willing to admit that this is a problem and that there are indeed improvements that could be made while still maintaining the overall fairness of their system. They could also work on their communication skills, but that's a whole other thread. Has anybody gotten their blackhole voicemail yet?

And that is an understatement. US News loves them and everything, and I am sure it is a good school and all, but you will be hard pressed to find an Oregonian (myself included) that doesn't have something to bitch about OHSU's process. Wait until you get your interview (I had to wait until March) and they ask you to march your ass all over campus to find your interviewers without anymore help than a bad copy of the campus map. And even them you might end up interviewing in a skybridge like one of my friends did. I guess that is the mystic allure of OHSU though, such a beautiful, well respected place... you just can't understand why.

I just received an interview invite to OHSU through snail mail today and I am OOS.

Congratulations!!!!--I am so jealous. Good Luck!

wow nice, do you have pretty decent stats?

wow nice, do you have pretty decent stats?

OOS state here and just got a phone call 30 minutes ago from my parents that I got an interview invite (snail mail).

To share info, the interviews are Tu-Th (smack dab int the middle of my darned week of classes). To give you a timeline:
AMCAS verified: 6/16
Received Secondary: 8/5
Secondary Receipt notice: 8/21
Interview invite 9/30

All this was snail mail. I don't ever share stats in forums, but you can link to MDApps below if you so desire.

It's later in the season indeed, but my goodness, U Washington hasn't even started pulling OOS applicants yet, so OSHU's definitely not the worst school out there.

OOS state here and just got a phone call 30 minutes ago from my parents that I got an interview invite (snail mail).

To share info, the interviews are Tu-Th (smack dab int the middle of my darned week of classes). To give you a timeline:
AMCAS verified: 6/16
Received Secondary: 8/5
Secondary Receipt notice: 8/21
Interview invite 9/30

All this was snail mail. I don't ever share stats in forums, but you can link to MDApps below if you so desire.

It's later in the season indeed, but my goodness, U Washington hasn't even started pulling OOS applicants yet, so OSHU's definitely not the worst school out there.

Perhaps because UW is doing what a state school should be doing and giving priority to instate applicants. :) Congrats on the interview, though.

Has anyone from Oregon received an invite?????

I FINALLY got my yellow postcard yesterday... that alone took about 12 weeks. :laugh:

Has anyone from Oregon received an invite?????

Yes. I have not myself though. FWIW, I received my yellow card about three weeks ago...which was a couple of weeks after the person who has been invited.

Just got my invite in the mail on Saturday! OOS.

has anyone who has received an interview invite been able to schedule their interview? I tried calling today but I have not been able to get through to anyone.

has anyone who has received an interview invite been able to schedule their interview? I tried calling today but I have not been able to get through to anyone.

I couldn't get through either. I left a message.

I left a message with my email and phonenumber and amcas id and gave the dates I wanted out of those they made available.

I called them earlier today and I was able to schedule my interview. That is odd that a few of you weren't able to schedule one.

I called them earlier today and I was able to schedule my interview. That is odd that a few of you weren't able to schedule one.

i left a msg as well

At least it's nice to see the ADCOM has a pulse and is interviewing. Good luck all!

is anyone interviewing on the 19th of october?

I got my letter in the mail on Saturday! I have called them and scheduled my interview for Oct 19. See you there, maybe....

I called office today and the lady told me I won't here from ADCOM until late January :( (I completed my secondary about a month ago)

This is a bad sign, isn't it???

I am also interviewing on Oct 19. In-state resident.

I called office today and the lady told me I won't here from ADCOM until late January :( (I completed my secondary about a month ago)

This is a bad sign, isn't it???

No, it's not a bad sign. OHSU typically interviews into mid-April. At OHSU, it doesn't matter when you interview, you will have the same chance as everyone else. If you get REJECTED for an interview, that's a bad sign.

The admissions office told us today that interviews began this week. They received about 4500 applications and they will interview about 10% of those. Good luck!

Ok, so I've called the Ad office and got a secretary (she's nice) who transferred me to the lady who makes all of of the appointments for interviews. I keep getting her answering machine. Has anyone actually talked to her, and if not, have she contacted you about an interview date confirmation? I got one week left and my snail mail has been, well, slow...

i still havent gotten my confirmation either. i am gonna try calling tommorrow

just called OHSU Admissions about the confirmation packet and they just told me someone would call me back. Hopefully they get back to me soon, but I highly doubt it.

Ok, so I finally was able to get a time set up. Call now and schedule becuase the book up pretty fast! I'll be tehre on Nov. 2, a Thursday. The day start at 7:45 (ugh) and may end at 5:00 so plan accordingly with flights and such. Hope you all can get through!

I got an interview at OHSU!!!! but of course when i called the appointment guy wasn't in. WTF? why is that person never in? I'm shooting for mid nov