OHSU (Oregon) vs Quinnipiac (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mhunter5774

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OHSU
Pros
  • good match list
  • research and clinical experiences are strong
  • well ranked
  • more diverse patient population
Cons
  • 70k per year (out of state)
Quinnipiac (Netter)
Pros
  • Vibes seem amazing like really supportive and close community that wants to help students succeed
  • Amazing match list, especially for so new a program
  • 30k per year
Cons
  • no internal hospital system -> away rotations highly likely and students mentioned some of their rotations were as far as Boston
  • research opportunities seem limited and need to be found at surrounding institutions like UCONN or Yale
Summary: I really can't decide. I think I want to go into derm so research is really important to me as well as "prestige" of the institution so that makes me lean towards OHSU but I think I would be more supported and academically thrive a bit better at Quinnipiac. I am from Hawaii but am currently living in Boston so Oregon is close to my family, but Netter is also close to my friends so I feel like I would have good support either way. Any insight you have is greatly appreciated 🙂
 
Congrats on the As! I also was accepted to Netter versus an established state school and share similar sentiments. Netter seems to punch way higher than ranking would suggest, however I do think that it is applicant-dependent. It seems like a no-brainer to go to the school with established home residencies as that greatly increases your chance of matching in competitive specialties. I get the notion that people matching at prestigious residencies from Netter do so in spite of the school, rather than because of it. I agree that the vibes are very positive and it is hard to turn that away, but I really do think OHSU will provide way more support for competitive residency matching. If you are interested in derm, I don't think anyone will tell you to choose Netter over Oregon, myself included.

Again, congrats! I'm sure you will do well no matter what school you go to, but I would choose the one that is better established, has home residencies, and many more research opportunities.
 
Congrats on the As! I also was accepted to Netter versus an established state school and share similar sentiments. Netter seems to punch way higher than ranking would suggest, however I do think that it is applicant-dependent. It seems like a no-brainer to go to the school with established home residencies as that greatly increases your chance of matching in competitive specialties. I get the notion that people matching at prestigious residencies from Netter do so in spite of the school, rather than because of it. I agree that the vibes are very positive and it is hard to turn that away, but I really do think OHSU will provide way more support for competitive residency matching. If you are interested in derm, I don't think anyone will tell you to choose Netter over Oregon, myself included.

Again, congrats! I'm sure you will do well no matter what school you go to, but I would choose the one that is better established, has home residencies, and many more research opportunities.
Thank you so much for this advice, I really appreciate it! Congrats on your As too 🙂