OHSU vs. Michigan vs. Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lars24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to make a residency decision and am having a hard time. I've lived in the midwest my whole life and have been trying to get out to the mountains, so lifestyle and geography are very important to me. I, however, was very impressed with UMichigan's program and am having a hard time deciding what would be best for my career. The obvious downside, for me, of Michigan is ann arbor--extremely cold weather, flat terrain, and smaller town. Are there any thoughts about the quality of training at OHSU or Colorado vs. the more nationally recognized Michigan? And is that a pertinent point if I desire a career in private practice? I also have an interest in movement disorder and have been told that both Michigan and OHSU have strong fellowships for movement--any information on that? I have concerns that OHSU is not rigorous enough (lower census, less call, etc). US news and world report has been bashed on this site as being useless for determining quality and reputation of neurology programs, so any advice anyone has about these 3 programs would be great!
thanks
-lars24

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on how these three compare, but I can tell you that if you plan to go into private practice you will be very well regarded coming from any of them. You could pretty much get a job anywhere you want to go. If you want to do academics there may be some subtle differences to think about more carefully. In my opinion geography should be the number one priority in choosing a residency. Who cares how good the program is if you aren't happy living there. These are all very good programs and you could excel coming from any of them.

Last edited:
Bump. I too am interested in these, esp. UMich. How is the reputation in terms of academics vs. the major research-heavy programs, i.e., UCSF, Stanford, Partners, Hopkins, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you people are planning to go into neurology. Because neither of these programs are well known for their residencies in this field.

I hope you people are planning to go into neurology. Because neither of these programs are well known for their residencies in this field.

Do you mean residencies in general or fellowships in movement disorders? Which ones do you hold in high esteem for either?

I did mention that they are not well known for neurology residencies. If you want to do a well rounded neurology residency, you should choose someplace like:

Harvard-Partners, U Cincinnati, CCF-Cleveland, Columbia, Case Western, UPMC, UT-Houston, U Virginia, UNC, MUSC, Jackson-Miami, U Rochester, St Joseph's-BNI, Wash U, MCW, NYU, UCLA, U Penn, Mayo-Rochester, Duke, RUSH, Baylor (going downhill), ? Vanderbilt, ? VCU.

I am not familiar with movement disorders Fellowships but I have heard good things about RUSH & Mayo-Rochester from people on the interview circuit this year.

Last edited:
Bonran - obviously this poster probably didn't interview at one of these other places you mentioned otherwise they would be asking about them. Your comments are condescending to many posters. Not all applicants can interview at the top 5. I would also argue that your list above of "quality" programs is laughable. Michigan has a better reputation in Neurology than at least a third of these. Not everyone is going into stroke like you, they are looking for a well rounded training program.

If you find my views condescending, thats your problem. I am not here to please you or anyone else, just to put in my views. So, get over it.

I cant help you with your dislike for stroke either. As far as I am concerned, I like all neurology, all medicine for that matter. I do have a special interest in vascular medicine & stroke.

Its a pleasure that I could make you laugh with this list. :laugh:

Besides no one has stopped you from putting up your own list here. Or maybe your exposure to Neurology training programs is "limited to Michigan".

Last edited:
Bonran - obviously this poster probably didn't interview at one of these other places you mentioned otherwise they would be asking about them. Your comments are condescending to many posters. Not all applicants can interview at the top 5. I would also argue that your list above of "quality" programs is laughable. Michigan has a better reputation in Neurology than at least a third of these. Not everyone is going into stroke like you, they are looking for a well rounded training program.

False. Actually I did interview at several of the other top places on your list. Not everyone wants NIH grants, academic powerhouse attitudes, or to study vascular neurology. If you are going to post on here, please be less biased and less arrogant. Your advice is not helpful otherwise.

Folks,

I'm not about to take sides in this issue. However, please keep it civil and avoid calling individuals out by name (a violation of the TOS).

If you have specific commentary on OHSU, Michigan, or Colorado, please post.