OK Animal Nutrition Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am thinking about taking animal nutrition online to meet a prerequisite for Florida and just had a few questions about Oklahoma's online course. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

How are the tests done for the course. Do you do them online and email them to the professor, are they done real-time online, or are they proctored like at Purdue?

What types of assignments are there - is it just tests and homework or are their projects to be done?

Is the course self paced or do I have to move little by little with the professor?

Are there any other interesting pointers or facts that you can give?

Sorry..I know I asked like a million questions but I just want to make sure that I know what I am getting myself into. I read through a post on online animal nutrition courses on SDN a while back but I didn't find the answers to all my questions. Any help or input is highly appreciated - thanks!
 
Tests are proctored. you send in an exam request and they send it to your proctor. There are 5 of them and the last one is not comprehensive.

there are 13 writing assignments. these are basically 6 - 10 questions that need to be answered about the reading assignment. they are not too bad, about 1 paragraph or less per answer. he grades really easy on these. you can mail them or e-mail them.

you are given a year to complete the course so you work at your own pace.

I really like it... my biggest problem is that its really easy to put it aside because it is self-paced. I got my materials in august, and I have only done 2 writing assignments and 0 tests and I have to finish by June (because of my acceptance). soo yeah. I think that answered all your questions?
 
I just finished this course so I bet I can help you out 🙂

The tests are proctored. You request tests via email and have them sent to your proctor. You then take the test when you are ready and the proctor mails the exam back to OKSU (fyi. After you take the first exam you can request as many tests at a time as you want...so for example, I'd request the next 3 exams and take them whenever I was ready...sometimes one at a time, sometimes I'd take multiple exams at once. totally up to you and you do not have to be done with the homework assignments before you take the exams)

Homework Assignments: You read a chapter in the book and then answer a bunch of questions. It can be a decent amount of work...sometimes 5 or 6 typed pages worth of answers but it is not very diffucult. just time consuming. There are no projects. Just Homework and Exams.

Course is entirely self paced. I think I took about 9 months to do the first 2 exams (just lazy) then took everything else in one month. COmpletely up to you.

Helpful hint:

The instructor is big on numbers and details that I think normal courses are not so focused on. There are 5 exams and I don't know maybe 10 homework assignments? Maybe more. You will get a number grade for both assignments and exams (assignments you email to him and turn around time is pretty quick...maybe a day or two, sometimes longer). I got an A. I think a lot of other people have done well also.

Hope that helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am thinking about taking animal nutrition online to meet a prerequisite for Florida and just had a few questions about Oklahoma's online course. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

How are the tests done for the course. Do you do them online and email them to the professor, are they done real-time online, or are they proctored like at Purdue?

What types of assignments are there - is it just tests and homework or are their projects to be done?

Is the course self paced or do I have to move little by little with the professor?

Are there any other interesting pointers or facts that you can give?

Sorry..I know I asked like a million questions but I just want to make sure that I know what I am getting myself into. I read through a post on online animal nutrition courses on SDN a while back but I didn't find the answers to all my questions. Any help or input is highly appreciated - thanks!

If you're talking about the independent study class ANSI 3543, it's actually not an online course at all. It's a self-paced independent study, where you get 2 books - one coursepack of notes and assignments, and one textbook. The class is self-paced, and you basically read the notes and assignments, then write some essays (about 1-2 pages single-spaced total per lesson) to answer assignment questions in the coursepack. I'm on lesson 7 of 13 right now, and so far all the assignments are basically the same, except the 12th one, which makes you write 3x as much as usual b/c you have to come up with your own questions and justify why they're good questions. There doesn't appear to be any projects - just read, give essay answers to a few questions, repeat. Assignments can be mailed or emailed to the prof, but emailing in assignments is as "online" as the class gets.

Exams are proctored. Once you've finished all the assignments for an exam, you send away for it, and they'll mail it to your proctor. You get a whole year to do the class, and the prof has said he doesn't care if you continue doing assignments while waiting for the exam or even do all the assignments first and then request the exams and take them afterward. All they care about is that you turn in the homework in order and take the exams in order - when is totally up to you.
 
they are not too bad, about 1 paragraph or less per answer. he grades really easy on these. you can mail them or e-mail them.

He grades easily, but be sure to be thorough - he can be a real jerk if you forget something. He gave me 100% on every assignment so far except one. In that one, I forgot to mention ruminants in a question that wasn't even really asking about ruminants, and he marked me down to an 82.
 
I took Nutrition and Intro to Animal Science through their independent study and it's pretty easy. If you are in a rush to finish the course quickly, I recommend submitting multiple assignments at one time and requesting each test asap. Sometimes it took my proctor up to two weeks to receive an exam and I live in Dallas. It definitely slows you down if you want to get things done in a timely manner, but most people probably take their time and finish it within the year. I just wanted to get it out of the way.
 
I took Nutrition and Intro to Animal Science through their independent study and it's pretty easy. If you are in a rush to finish the course quickly, I recommend submitting multiple assignments at one time and requesting each test asap. Sometimes it took my proctor up to two weeks to receive an exam and I live in Dallas. It definitely slows you down if you want to get things done in a timely manner, but most people probably take their time and finish it within the year. I just wanted to get it out of the way.


Just so you know (doesn't help you Vet Engineer but for others who might be looking to take the course) you don't have to wait for the grades on your exams to come back before submitting assignments. I actually went through and did most of the assignments before I took the exams. There were days when I would email him 3 or 4 assignments at the same time. That did not seem to be a problem. Even when they were assignments for exams I had not taken yet.
 
Does OK state have any pre-req requirements before taking this class? For some reason I thought it was Chemistry? I know other online Animal Nutrition courses do not have pre-reqs required??
 
Does OK state have any pre-req requirements before taking this class? For some reason I thought it was Chemistry? I know other online Animal Nutrition courses do not have pre-reqs required??

Yeah, you need to have gen chem done before you can take the class.

Edit: Although... I don't recall them asking me to prove that.
 
I really want to thank you all for your help in answering my questions. I think the OK course sounds awesome. I am just wondering if there is any online animal nutrition course where the tests are not proctored, but are done on your own. The only reason proctoring is a big deal for me is that I have a very sporadic work schedule. I am going to keep researching the available courses. Thanks again for all the help!
 
Yeah, they require chem, but they don't require any proof you have taken it. Personally, I think you could probably make it through without chem.
 
For those of you who have taken these courses (ANSI 1124 and 3543), how feasible would it be to complete them in less than 8 weeks? Other than buying a home and moving to Gainesville, I will be able to devote all my time to the courses. Also, what format are the exams in? short answer, essay, multiple choice?
 
For those of you who have taken these courses (ANSI 1124 and 3543), how feasible would it be to complete them in less than 8 weeks? Other than buying a home and moving to Gainesville, I will be able to devote all my time to the courses. Also, what format are the exams in? short answer, essay, multiple choice?


3543 is 50 multiple choice/true-false questions.

I just took exam three. So far, have finished all the exams in less than 20 minutes. I think if you can have motivation, you could do it without a problem. Also, you can double up on exams after the first one and take 2 or 3 exams at a time.
 
For those of you who have taken these courses (ANSI 1124 and 3543), how feasible would it be to complete them in less than 8 weeks? Other than buying a home and moving to Gainesville, I will be able to devote all my time to the courses. Also, what format are the exams in? short answer, essay, multiple choice?

You can probably do it. I'm lazy, so I'm taking it slow, but each assignment only takes me about 1-2 hrs, depending on how seriously I take them.

Edit:
@ Cowgirla: Are you taking 2 exams in 1 sitting? Hardcoooooore!
Is it alright? I might give that a shot if you think it's doable. I just want this stuff to be done.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can probably do it. I'm lazy, so I'm taking it slow, but each assignment only takes me about 1-2 hrs, depending on how seriously I take them.

Edit:
@ Cowgirla: Are you taking 2 exams in 1 sitting? Hardcoooooore!
Is it alright? I might give that a shot if you think it's doable. I just want this stuff to be done.


Just took exams 2 and 3. Finished the two of them in less than an hour altogether. Took me more time to drive to the testing center than to actually take the exams :laugh: Bear in mind, most of this info was covered in my nutritional biochemistry class, so while I'm rusty, a lot of this is repeats. Even then, I got so used to upper level science classes, where you are tested on 5+ chapters in the textbook at a time, not the 2 or 3 chapters this class tests you on. So altogether, it still isn't so much info, and definitely not more than we'd have to be able to handle for vet school itself!



The hardest part is the motivation to actually study. Once you get past the procrastination part, not so bad at all. 👍
 
I think finishing in 8 weeks is totally doable if you have enough free time. I would recommend requesting multiple tests at once since they take awhile to receive via snail mail.
 
It's definitely do-able... how do I know? because I practically have to finish most of the course in ~5-6 weeks. and its either finish or don't go to vet school. and this is on top of 16 other hours ugh!

so yes it's possible because I'm going to make it happen haha
 
Thanks guys, I feel much better about doing these courses now. I have made up a study chart on excel, lol... basically, gonna do two assignments every day for 12 days (24 total for both courses), then two exams every week for 6 weeks (12 exams total)....but maybe I will knock out more than 2 exams in a week so that I will have time to play before vet school starts!!!! That's just really awesome to be able to say.... 😀